The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

GOLD! Blogging for Profit (With Legendary GOLD Follow Up Posts)

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 28, 2015
World Citizen
@Greg Rutkowski / @csalvato How do you like to test demand in your target markets?
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but I will approach this question from the prospective of testing demand for a product or service that I may want to incorporate on my site in the future.

I like to talk to those who are engaged most with the blog. The people that write me emails, comment on posts, share my work, and open the most newsletters/ emails that I send them.

It is important to identify who those people are. What they want. What their problems are.

The easiest way to do this is by talking with them ten minutes on the phone or sending a friendly email.

Just be real with them and ask a lot of questions. The will reveal what the actually want with out even saying it. You just have to listen carefully.

To test demand I:
  • Send them a survey via Survey Monkey
  • Send them an email to see if they get engaged with the topic
  • Write a post about an idea and see what people have to say about it
  • Lastly if I am soft launching a product, I ask them to buy it.
The key is getting them to buy. That is the only true way to test demand.

Last year I made these personalized walnut serving boards. I tested demand by simply posting a picture of it on Facebook. I don't think there was any copy associated with the post, just the picture. I got ten sales out of that post and I wasn't even advertising that they were for sale.

That is demand.

There are two videos that I like that address the topic of validating.

Noah Kagan likes to talk about validating. He doesn't over complicate it. There a a few other videos by him we he instantly validates business on the spot.

Don't get too hung up on it. After testing a few ideas, you will instantly know when the demand is there.

I hope this helps.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Some great posts / debate in here, and mostly civil! Marked GOLD.

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net

klaptoo

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 11, 2015
I'll tell you guys how I tested demand for my online course:

To summarize: I have a niche website and had gathered some emails through an email magnet (free pdf ebook).

I then simply emailed my list (through Aweber's free 1 month trial) with some article I had just written.

82 people opened the email. I then, emailed those people, telling a little bit about my course and linking it to a landing page I made with Instapage (which also gives you a 30 day trial).

I linked the landing page with a free made paypal button.

7 people actually bought the course! And I didn't even have anything yet!

That's just what I needed to validate my idea...

If 7 people bought my course, knowing me just because of 1 email I sent before, and some articles. Eventually, if I keep nurturing my email list I'm really confident I can sell 500 courses.

The 6 simple steps I took
  1. Make an email list through some high quality free content given for free ( pdf ebook )
  2. Integrate these emails with an email marketing provider (Aweber)
  3. Write an article and send it to my email list
  4. Make a sales landing page, with an actual "Buy now" paypal button. TIP: it must be clear in the landing page that you're offering a pre-launch special price course and I should also include some high value bonuses.
  5. Email the people that opened my first email with my offer.
  6. Se who buys it. If even 1 person does, I would still have validated my idea.

Last edited:

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 28, 2015
World Citizen
Because I like this thread so much, I wanted to share a little research that I've found that could be useful.

I did a search for the top earning blogs and with the exception of one blog, their main source of revenue is advertising. The other source of revenue was PPC.

What does this tell us?

To be a powerhouse blog, you need to focus on increasing traffic.

Not conversions. Not subscribers. Not posting three times per week.

Screw your affiliate links.

Focus on driving traffic to your site.

That is the 80% out of the 80/20 rule.

Most people think that it is writing content.

Clearly it is not.

One other thing that I noticed is that the content is not really super high quality.

But what is quality is click-bait and the copy.

The big guys know that if they can keep you clicking, well... you keep clicking.

Take it for what it's worth.

csalvato

Platinum Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Because I like this thread so much, I wanted to share a little research that I've found that could be useful.

I did a search for the top earning blogs and with the exception of one blog, their main source of revenue is advertising. The other source of revenue was PPC.

What does this tell us?

Clearly it is not.

One other thing that I noticed is that the content is not really super high quality.

The big guys know that if they can keep you clicking, well... you keep clicking.

Guess that depends on what you define as "blogging".

Kelly C

Bronze Contributor
Feb 20, 2014
UK

What does this tell us?

Clearly it is not.

That's all very well and a good technique...but you shouldn't under-estimate the power of quality content. If you have something of quality - you've made something better than anyone else...you can get TONNES of links to that with minimal effort which results in lots of traffic. Look at the skyscraper technique by backlinko.com

Also if you want to sell your site in future - generally a potential buyer will look at search traffic over paid traffic so you want to be doing both...particularly if your end goal is to sell for a good profit.

A mixture is the way to go. Some nice image posts like "20 amazing places to take your kids on holiday", sprinkled with some lovely informative articles.

Of course I am simplifying but I think quality content is just as important.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 28, 2015
World Citizen
That's all very well and a good technique...but you shouldn't under-estimate the power of quality content. If you have something of quality - you've made something better than anyone else...you can get TONNES of links to that with minimal effort which results in lots of traffic. Look at the skyscraper technique by backlinko.com

Also if you want to sell your site in future - generally a potential buyer will look at search traffic over paid traffic so you want to be doing both...particularly if your end goal is to sell for a good profit.

A mixture is the way to go. Some nice image posts like "20 amazing places to take your kids on holiday", sprinkled with some lovely informative articles.

Of course I am simplifying but I think quality content is just as important.

Thank your for the reply!

It is important to define quality here.

• If you have a blog in a niche like Astronautics, quality may be defined by; your credibility, your sources credibility, your grammar and so on.

• If you have a travel blog, "Some nice image posts like "20 amazing places to take your kids on holiday", sprinkled with some lovely informative articles."

I'm definitely not saying you are wrong by any stretch of the imagination, but I would like to question the idea that quality is the thing that is going to separate you.

Your blog content is like copy writing. The content has to be good, but it does not have to be perfect.

Could there be a reason that places like Huff Po choose not to make every post the highest quality?

Do they know something that the guru's don't?

Are they stupid or something?

Or have they done their research and maybe realized that easy content rather than quality content is the path of least resistance for the reader?

I would love @csalvato @RHL @Yoda to chime in here, what are your thoughts on quality content?

mtb_fanatic

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 1, 2015
Do you guys think by creating an authority blog is still relevant today and not 2012ish? If you build it as a business creating your own products/membership site?

This is the route I'm currently taking.

The way I see it, you can explode into multiple revenue avenues by taking this approach.
  1. Build website and interview business owners on current problems they currently having. Build a SAAS software with a solution to the problem.
  2. Build an Ebook product that can help their business with marketing.
  3. Create a membership site and teach business owners how to increase revenue.
  4. Build a lead generation website.
  5. Charge for advertisements.
I noticed in my niche, there is probably a dozen of websites doing what I'm doing.

However, they stop after 3 months and don't produce any more content. This is great as they no longer are around and for me to captivate all their audience.

I also think validating idea is a great idea however, I also believe you can provide solutions to a particular market by diving in more than 1 week to 1 month duration.

redsfaithful

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2014
Bexley, OH

Thank your for the reply!

It is important to define quality here.

• If you have a blog in a niche like Astronautics, quality may be defined by; your credibility, your sources credibility, your grammar and so on.

• If you have a travel blog, "Some nice image posts like "20 amazing places to take your kids on holiday", sprinkled with some lovely informative articles."

I'm definitely not saying you are wrong by any stretch of the imagination, but I would like to question the idea that quality is the thing that is going to separate you.

Your blog content is like copy writing. The content has to be good, but it does not have to be perfect.

Could there be a reason that places like Huff Po choose not to make every post the highest quality?

Do they know something that the guru's don't?

Are they stupid or something?

Or have they done their research and maybe realized that easy content rather than quality content is the path of least resistance for the reader?

I would love @csalvato @RHL @Yoda to chime in here, what are your thoughts on quality content?
Good luck replicating HuffPo - I wonder what their overhead is?

Meanwhile, as a "little guy" you can definitely create content of the highest quality:

- Most relevant
- Most up to date
- Most useful to the user
- Best designed
- Most comprehensive

I would seriously try to dissuade anyone who wants to create a website and not nail the content side of the equation.

I don't always get there, but that's always the goal with anything I publish.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 28, 2015
World Citizen
Good luck replicating HuffPo - I wonder what their overhead is?

Meanwhile, as a "little guy" you can definitely create content of the highest quality:

- Most relevant
- Most up to date
- Most useful to the user
- Best designed
- Most comprehensive

I would seriously try to dissuade anyone who wants to create a website and not nail the content side of the equation.

I don't always get there, but that's always the goal with anything I publish.
Again, I do not completely disagree.

But this goes back to the old saying of the best product in the world.

"You can have the best product in the world, but if nobody knows about it, what good is it?"

Too many people try to solve their traffic problem by writing more content and completely neglecting the other half of the equation.

Weight loss is a popular example for this.

They work out and they work out.

Eventually they stop seeing results.

So what do they do?

They work out more. :shifty:

Completely disregarding changing their diet or drug regimen.

Same goes for bloggers.

But ya never know.

Maybe if you write that next post you will get more traffic.

@Yoda hit it right on the head.

"I give my audience exactly what they want/need."

Edit: Spelling error.

Last edited:

redsfaithful

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2014
Bexley, OH
I come across everything from an SEO perspective. I need to rank, which means I need links.

It's like selling, it's a hell of a lot easier if you are asking for links for something that is top notch and obviously well made.

You can push the lazy content, but it's like pushing a boulder uphill.

Razz

VPH: Value Per Hour
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 15, 2016
So basically - cut the crap, give the reader something that keeps them engaged, and provide professional/expert work at what you do.

Or create something that provides tremendous value. Do so in a way that people will keep coming back to, survives trends, and tackle real issues.

Test, retest, gain viewership.

The competing aspect is: keep writing and targeting searches to fill out your page count. To create more than what is needed to target a huge audience, broadening your aspects, and trying to target the lower volume searches...

Or try to target everything and capture nothing.

Don't enter into a blogging-niche unless you truly know it - unless you want to gurutize it. Sprinkle in some marketing knowledge, and opportunities will find you. Some people are killing it by connecting their obscure amazingness online and having the audience find them. Got it.

I bet the general opinion for why people think blogging may have been dead was the spun content-driven micro/huge niches out there that didn't rely on authentic authorship. That machines couldn't create pride in their work, and that readers and Google knew/know the difference between auto-crap and real viewership.

Glad this thread came up.

Seems like the cheap/crap traffic buying days are long-gone, and low-quality traffic and content generates low quality results.

Ankerstein17

Contributor
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Is there any one on this forum section that would be willing to take on a mentorship role, eager to learn, will buy you supper or what ever it takes to be successful. Willing and wana learn. I have some knowledge already, but I want tot learn from the best of the best!

Yoda

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Is there any one on this forum section that would be willing to take on a mentorship role, eager to learn, will buy you supper or what ever it takes to be successful. Willing and wana learn. I have some knowledge already, but I want tot learn from the best of the best!
If I had a penny...

raden1

Bronze Contributor
Dec 31, 2015
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/mj-is-offering-free-mentoring-version-2.62474/

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/how-to-find-a-mentor-and-more.54979/

http://imgur.com/a/PVIJ5

Last edited by a moderator:

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
There is a difference between properly run and niched down blogs like the ones you talk about and the 99999999th iteration of a guy spitting out personal development, dating and fitness advice on his new wordpress install, which are the ones we usually get here in the forum and rightly discourage from wasting their time.
What's wrong with it? It's a content system.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Speedway Pass
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
This is the first relevant thread I found via search so I'll post this here.

I'm pretty sure we all know of Pat Flynn and his website / brand Smart Passive Income.

Well, there's this: http://www.studiopress.com/smart-passive-income-pro-theme/

If you're hesitant to click and read the link it's a post about how StudioPress is now offering a SPI clone WP theme.

So far I'm loving it! :D Perfect timing.

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 19, 2016
This is the first relevant thread I found via search so I'll post this here.

I'm pretty sure we all know of Pat Flynn and his website / brand Smart Passive Income.

Well, there's this: http://www.studiopress.com/smart-passive-income-pro-theme/

If you're hesitant to click and read the link it's a post about how StudioPress is now offering a SPI clone WP theme.

So far I'm loving it! :D Perfect timing.
It's interesting that if you look at his latest income report, only $4,000 of the $127k is actually from making a straight product. The rest is from teaching people how to make money from making a passive income product. Unless you have a long-game plan to use your blog to grow a big business this seems to be the way to make money from blogging.

I'm not having a go at the guy for this, not at all. But he's basically just selling shovels to gold prospectors. Fair play to him.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 28, 2015
World Citizen
BLOGGING UPDATE:

Even though this is not a progress thread, I wanted to share with you some of my findings when I applied the things I learned from here.

This was mostly for experimental purposes, but the impact from these changes were very positive.

I dissected the top 13 money making blogs and tried to figured out what they did that I could apply to my own.

Here are the changes that I made:
  • Theme: After doing some research, I realized that the previous theme I was using was more for personal blogs. I changed the theme to look more like a BIG BLOG. My end goal is to come across as a high traffic media site.
  • About Page: I changed the whole damn thing. Instead of making the about page about us, I made it really about my readers. I also added staff profiles to show that it's not just me working on it and rewrote the all of the copy. The copy for the about page took me about 10 hours and I am still monitoring the conversions.
  • Contact Page: In the contact page I added a section for "contributors" and a sections for "advertisers." I gave a detailed outline for future contributors explaining what I expect~ should they want to send me writing. For the advertisers, I wrote some decent copy and told them to contact me. I also placed ads on the site to show that the site was advertiser friendly.
After I made these changes; I have gotten several request to post ads on my site for way more money than I thought I was ever going to make, many potential contributors have asked me to feature their work, and my traffic volume has significantly increased.

What I need to work on more:

Email subscribers

More content

I will give another update as I continue to work on these two things.

Thanks. :rockon:

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 19, 2016
BLOGGING UPDATE:

Even though this is not a progress thread, I wanted to share with you some of my findings when I applied the things I learned from here.

This was mostly for experimental purposes, but the impact from these changes were very positive.

I dissected the top 13 money making blogs and tried to figured out what they did that I could apply to my own.

Here are the changes that I made:
  • Theme: After doing some research, I realized that the previous theme I was using was more for personal blogs. I changed the theme to look more like a BIG BLOG. My end goal is to come across as a high traffic media site.
  • About Page: I changed the whole damn thing. Instead of making the about page about us, I made it really about my readers. I also added staff profiles to show that it's not just me working on it and rewrote the all of the copy. The copy for the about page took me about 10 hours and I am still monitoring the conversions.
  • Contact Page: In the contact page I added a section for "contributors" and a sections for "advertisers." I gave a detailed outline for future contributors explaining what I expect~ should they want to send me writing. For the advertisers, I wrote some decent copy and told them to contact me. I also placed ads on the site to show that the site was advertiser friendly.
After I made these changes; I have gotten several request to post ads on my site for way more money than I thought I was ever going to make, many potential contributors have asked me to feature their work, and my traffic volume has significantly increased.

What I need to work on more:

Email subscribers

More content

I will give another update as I continue to work on these two things.

Thanks. :rockon:
Interesting. I hear a lot, on many of the "How to blog" type blogs, that you should try and make your blog as personal as possible since people like to get to know the person writing it. Interesting that you went the other way and improved your results. Well done mate. ;)

FORUM SPONSOR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

New Topics

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!