The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
G

Guest61835

Wow. Today I just found a piece of my pursuit of entrepreneurship beginning/infant stages . This quote was put on social media in 2016 EXACTLY 2 years ago from today. That was a LONG time ago for me. Here is the quote that later brought me to where I am today. May I remind you this was BEFORE I read "The Millionaire Fastlane " nor even heard about it.

"What is the point of a Job and school if you're only limited to the knowledge you've obtained only to use it to work somewhere you semi like or tolerate? I want to be able to work for myself and do it somehow without being a slave at a job and school. I am not lazy and laws are laws and work is work. But why can't I self produce myself without the limitations of requiring certificates and mandates and rules before you can reach your full potential and kick it into high gear from that point? How and where can I become strong and have a powerful foundation to be able to sell myself as a brand and manufacturer to produce my own self fruits from my own labor? Working at a "JOB" meets limitations and rules and makes you a slave literally to that particular job. My question is, how can I gain support and not be thrown out and called lazy just because I wanna break the chains of the cultural work force normal and be free to become not only sustainable and rich and wise from the help of God and family? It seems whenever I have a great idea to flourish and prosper(it actually works by the way not just on paper but in action) it is shunned because it is deemed "lazy", "Dumb" and "impossible". If you pay taxes and "have" to work, then you are in fact a SLAVE. Our ancestors in america both Indian and European that lived here, didn't need big corporations and paying taxes to survive. I need a way. I want a way. I can finish school and work. That's not my problem. My problem is the self limiting society that I live in from family, to laws. What can I do and work with(I don't want a quick fix I have patience ,that's not my problem), to find my strengths,weaknesses, and limits and potential and not only unlock it, but let that power burn like an inferno to give me more than a push but a complete shove to throw me hard into the life that humanity was destined to live? And that's to live. Not to slave."

That quote, that first thought began exactly two years ago. I was living in harsh times and this year really brought me to solutions. Just thought I'd share my growth with you guys. From wanting to DOING.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest61835

Finally moved into my apartment. Got everything mostly settled. Waiting to get our fiber optic internet activated here next month soon to purchase AT&T's fiber optic internet. And then that's when I'll start working on a forum website. Not sure if I want the focus to be on Music or a general fourm of my liking with different topics in certain industries besides just music. Also, since I'll be doing that, I'll freelance on the side once I gain a better understanding of web design more than likely for extra money. That's currently my life. It's going well. :)

G

Guest61835

Moved into the apartment. Just got over being sick. Had an upper respiratory infection. Great stuff. Now that I'm in the apartment with my fiance, I'm just waiting for our ISP ,AT&T, to activate their service to the apartments this January. Once they activate their services ,we can buy them and use them. I'll start working on my fourm and start on my own for a little bit with building an audience and such. I might freelance on the site for skill points in web design but that's it. Everything is going slow but very well. :)

G

Guest61835

I purchased on www.udemy.com a buisness website course on WordPress. I'm really excited because now that I'm settled I can focus on building my buisness and such! These are the first steps I'm finally taking to success to financial freedom. Life is good. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! :D ;) CHEERS!

G

Guest61835

I'm about 15 ish percent through the course now. Learning a pretty decent amount from the course. Now I'm actually practicing building the websites in WordPress. Doing pretty well so far at it. Life at the apartments is still pretty good. Still taking time on the course and living life. Everything is great! Just gotta focus on the course, once I've finished, I'll jump into making some money. Woot. :D

G

Guest61835

So to be frank here I've been resting since I moved into the apartments and lost some of my drive for a while but I was focusing on working and bills. Got most of that settled and moved into the apartment with a good environment too. Haven't got past 15 percent because honestly I've been going straight to bed after getting home. Readjusted my sleeping schedule and habits and now I'm on the path again.

G

Guest61835

I have almost completed the courses. So currently I'm at the tip of the ice burg. I'm creating an account on a Freelancing website to start off with the experience part and I'm then going to be working on a portfolio page to showcase my templates. I'm going to to start selling websites through the freelance site after I get a web hosting service.

I already have 2 clients waiting for me to setup my portfolio website and freelancing account. 2 CLIENTS ALREADY! I do believe the industry I will be targeting I something along the lines of accessories and photography and such to start out. Making websites isn't really rocket science to me anymore but simple. It's a pain to get everything setup but I enjoy every moment of it. I'll update more once I get everything setup and rolling. :)

G

Guest61835

Now I finished the course over the weekend and completely finished. Good course. Learned alot about WordPress. I still have 2 potential clients. The issue is the only thing getting in my way is how the law and financial system works with being a web design freelancer in Tennessee. That's the only thing I've had an issue with. Apparently it's recommended to get an LLC, accountant, and attorney.

So here is the simple plan so far without my other details.

1: Use web hosting from other places like GoDaddy and host gator for clients.

2: Create the domain on the web host.

3: Create the website and any features and things needed in their website.

4: After completion of the entire website and almost ready to launch, charge also for a care plan for their website so that I can update the security and fix any issues potentially faced in the future.

This is the basic plan I have right now before I expand it and advance and add upon it.

The only thing that's getting in my way is what I need to do and where I need to look to operate my freelance web design Buisness safely within the law and tax laws and how to manage that properly. Once I know the tax and laws around being a freelance web designer for small businesses and such, then I officially launch this. I have NO IDEA where to look to find this information. That's my spot currently.

G

Guest61835

I spoke with a business attorney yesterday and mostly heard good things. Contracts are gonna cost me 600 dollars. Business license for my city is 15 dollars and I live in a city where it is in 2 counties so that's fun.

Basically the attorney informed me of these things below:

Get a business license and register it with the city and counties it is in.

Get a contract for my clients because it keeps me safer indefinitely than having no contract with doing my services.

Seperate my personal funds from my business funds . Do NOT intermingle with using personal funds for my business whatsoever. In the event I'm sued, my personal assets cannot be taken.

Get a business account with a bank and business card with my bank to use.

Then get an accountant that will be trustworthy and can do my taxes / quarterly taxes and such for my business (not an employee but in general an accountant.)

Then that's it. He also informed me to check on the terms of service and such for the laws/rules for having a website and such on hosting servers from web host company.

He also informed me to check with my HR at my company and make sure I'm not violating any policies or agreements that I agreed to wih employeement.

The only thing that costs alot is that contract. It'll be about a month or two before I can successfully pay for that and move forward. Also I don't remember any terms of me agreeing to "if I work, I can't make something like websites because it's similar to the employer." Nervous about that part and that's it. Wish me luck.

Also, I'm studying digital marketing. I got another udemy course for it. Need more focus and knowledge one what specific niche in a market to Target. I want to help small businesses BUT I need to find the niche that will earn me the most income. I don't expect to make alot of money as in 6 figures but I can also change my niche. This will be how I gain experience in business. Just do it!

Also, my company doesn't give a crap about my business. They are fine with it and say it violates nothing in my employment and as long as I don't use company property or work my business during company hours, I will be fine. Woo!

Last edited by a moderator:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Don't use host gator! I wouldn't use go daddy either but some people say they have no problems. Look into siteground to get started.

G

Guest61835

Don't use host gator! I wouldn't use go daddy either but some people say they have no problems. Look into siteground to get started.
I've heard alot of crap about site ground as well. Interesting. What's wrong with host gator?

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Join the Facebook group called WordPress hosting and do a bit of digging around and searching on host gator, EIG, siteground etc. Lots of info there.

G

Guest61835

Now I'm taking 3 more Udemy Courses and either ordering a book for sales or another course for sales.

The 3 courses are as follow for their use:

1: Business Plan / Business Strategy planning.

2: WordPress Security.

3: WordPress SEO.

Thats my what I'm currently working on. Once I finish those and work on my portfolio site some more and such, I'll then launch my business after I save up for a 600 dollars contract my business attorney will write for me for my clients.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
If you have to save up to spend that on a contract template maybe you can better spend that money elsewhere and just use a free template for now.

G

Guest61835

If you have to save up to spend that on a contract template maybe you can better spend that money elsewhere and just use a free template for now.
From what I've seen alot of people recommend using a contract given by a lawyer/attorney. That's the general advice given I've come across. Where would I even go for a free template? Like.... attorneys know what to watch out for you know? At least that is what they are suppose to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
From what I've seen alot of people recommend using a template given by a lawyer/attorney. That's the general advice given I've come across. Where would I even go for a free template? Like.... attorneys know what to watch out for you know? At least that is what they are suppose to do.
Have a look at better proposals, it's a proposals software but I have heard they have some good little agreement templates you can play with. Maybe you are overthinking it a bit at this stage. It's not million dollar deals just yet haha. I even know of some people who are very successful that just use an email. I would say becoming a limited liability company is better protection than a contract anyway. Contracts/agreements will be helpful with clients that have scope creep mostly I would think.

Someone could correct me on this bit I feel like the biggest worry as far as being sued is if you royally stuff up someone's existing seo when you build them a new site.

G

Guest61835

Have a look at better proposals, it's a proposals software but I have heard they have some good little agreement templates you can play with. Maybe you are overthinking it a bit at this stage. It's not million dollar deals just yet haha. I even know of some people who are very successful that just use an email. I would say becoming a limited liability company is better protection than a contract anyway. Contracts/agreements will be helpful with clients that have scope creep mostly I would think.

Someone could correct me on this bit I feel like the biggest worry as far as being sued is if you royally stuff up someone's existing seo when you build them a new site.

I'll look for some free contact templates at this point and see if I can find one that best suites me. The LLC part will be a while. That's expensive for me currently so ya. Appreciate the advice TREMENDOUSLY.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Yeah man you're gonna need that 600 bucks for software licenses!

G

Guest61835

Yeah man you're gonna need that 600 bucks for software licenses!
This is it. I got a small business plan.
I'm writing down everything I'll need for the business and what I have.
I know what accounting software to use. I'll be using QuickBooks online.
I'm attempting to contact my business attorney, bringing him a contract I have, and discussing finalization and touches on my business and what to do next. I'm tired of waiting. I am ,in the famous words of Jacko Willink "...getting after it."

G

Guest61835

Forget accounting software and business attorneys just go get your first gig TODAY! Right now. Forget that other stuff.

Only one problem, I need a business license and license with the county I live in and such. If I do Buisness before I get those , IRS will definitely hear about my Business and then boom. Audited. I will be working in Tennessee. I expect to make more than 500 dollars on my first gig. Which is more than the legal amount where I legally need a business license and to file a tax form out for my business.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Only one problem, I need a business license and license with the county I live in and such. If I do Buisness before I get those , IRS will definitely hear about my Business and then boom. Audited. I will be working in Tennessee. I expect to make more than 500 dollars on my first gig. Which is more than the legal amount where I legally need a business license and to file a tax form out for my business.
Go get a business license. Doesn't take that long.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Filling them out this weekend. Got the license applications. ;)
Go prospect.
You aren't going to land a contract, close a deal, do the work and get paid all before the business license is completed.
Without revenue, the business license is pointless. Find some clients.

G

Guest61835

Go prospect.
You aren't going to land a contract, close a deal, do the work and get paid all before the business license is completed.
Without revenue, the business license is pointless. Find some clients.

That's actually illegal. I'd love to do that and I can build up my audience via social media and my main website that way I have clients right off the bat. I already have 1 waiting on me and I'll charge way over the legal amount in Tennessee that's 300 dollars before having a business license. That can get you sued or audited by the IRS. Ya I know people advise doing it before the business license but something in my gut says that's just not a good idea. My business attorney said that's a big no no lol. Get money after I have the business license.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
That's actually illegal. I'd love to do that and I can build up my audience via social media and my main website that way I have clients right off the bat. I already have 1 waiting on me and I'll charge way over the legal amount in Tennessee that's 300 dollars before having a business license. That can get you sued. Ya I know people advise doing it before the business license but something in my gut says that's just not a good idea. My business attorney said that's a big no no lol. Get money after I have the business license.
And that's fine, but keep building your pipeline. Just because you have one client, that doesn't stop you from calling/messaging more, or creating ads, or whatever is effective in your line of business.

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 7, 2018

The IRS is not going to audit you immediately. Your $ 500 dollar sale is not that important to them. And auditing is part of being in business. So, it isn't pleasant, but if you are going to stay in business, at some point it is going to happen.

If it helps, you can make sure you report any sales and pay taxes on it. Ask whoever does your taxes. You may be able to 1099 the first group of sales until you have your license up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.