The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

B&P 2011 Impressions?

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
This post is directed to the attendees of this year's Beer & Pancake meet up... But intended to share some of the jewels with those of you who didn't make it this time. After having a few hours to replay the weekend in your mind...

1) What surprised you the most about the event or the people (as a group, or individually)?

2) Name three nuggets of info you took from the presentations that stuck with you and/or made enough of an impression to change your way of doing business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
2) Name three nuggets of info you took from the presentations that stuck with you and/or made enough of an impression to change your way of doing business?

1) Reddit.
2) Teeth. (Gotta dump the manual!)
3) I think I'm gonna love public speaking vs dreading it.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I haven't put a lot of thot into it yet, since I just flew in to to my next hotel...

But off the top of my head...

I was surprised to find what a fabulous dancer KungFu Steve is!

1) I'm probably under-pricing most of my products (thank you RealOG)
2) It's okay to throw a little mud against the wall, if you have numerous ideas and invest your "extra" $ as "monopoly money" in order to emotionally divorce yourself from your cash. (Thank you, Snowbank!)
3) The value of Facebook marketing, micro cameras and electric toothbrushes!!

Seriously, I could make 10 posts like this, and still not get everything listed.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
1) Gonna try Reddit also
2) So what... For instance... Can it work on ecommerce pages?
3) Electric toothbrush!!!
4) Need to push my Facebook page
5) Don't touch my nose when answering a question
5a) Just never answer any question law enforcement asks you!

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Things I learned @ B&P 2011:

1) I'm a bad a$$ because I have an expensive electric toothbrush.
2) Only answer law enforcement questions with eyes closed and sitting on my hands.
3) Really loved the "Monopoly Money" concept & have already started implementing it.
4) Got the point driven home I need to do more with my website(s)
5) Learned something from every presentation & loved the different viewpoints/concepts & subject matter from all of the different backgrounds. There's something to be learned from everyone.

... already looking forward to next year.... :)

jaykla

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
LOL! This thread is great! Thanks again to everyone for setting this up and also thanks for all the great presentations. Kenric was right, I should have put an affiliate link to some Amazon electric toothbrush so I could get some sales...LOL! I'm glad I didn't bore or gross out everyone and now I need to go work on my Facebook fanpage! See you all soon!
Jay

ForestL

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 6, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
1) What surprised you the most about the event or the people (as a group, or individually)?
?

I was surprised by how much was actually shared at the meet up, there was no secrets. If you had a question it was answered, if someone needed help there was no holding back on ways to help. If you want to copy what someone is doing, feel free they will show you exactly how they did it.

1. The value in giving something away for free
2. Spending unneeded money on building businesses
3. Don't be in the bottom 10%....if you want to keep your job

But defiantly the best part was the after meeting networking. Thanks Mr. & Mrs. RealOG

drmctcher

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Sep 14, 2009
Phoenix Metro
2) It's okay to throw a little mud against the wall, if you have numerous ideas and invest your "extra" $ as "monopoly money" in order to emotionally divorce yourself from your cash. (Thank you, Snowbank!)

For those of us unable to make it this year... Family drama. Would anyone please expound on the quote above???

jbar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Oct 21, 2010
It was great meeting everyone. I know I learned a lot.

1. Need to automate and create a program for everything I do!
2. Need to make sure nobody rear ends me on purpose!
3. Learned that if my kids start a sentence with really, honestly, or any LY ending word that something is up.
4. I learned that I should have stayed out later on Saturday...missed out on the "real" fun!

Thanks again everyone. Looking forward to next year.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)

For those of us unable to make it this year... Family drama. Would anyone please expound on the quote above???
LOL. It was pretty late when I wrote that, so I kinda merged several concepts into one. Sorry Snow. Didn't mean to butcher your message. I couldn't possibly do it justice here. But the essence of it, for me, was this:

1) Once you determine that your venture is "maxed out", and can't be scaled further - OR - you have sufficiently systemized it so that your rapt attention is no longer necessary to maintain it, then it is okay to diversify into a new venture. I've always struggled with the "One Trick Pony" concept, because I've never had a venture that was infinitely scalable (well, that and the fact that I have the attention span of a gnat). So this idea changed my perspective enough to give me license to try other things.

2) Once you set aside your extra $ to use for new venture development, try to think of it as monopoly money. That doesn't mean to throw caution to the wind; you should always consider the EV. But don't become so emotionally attached to your savings that you're paralyzed by fear of loss when trying to move on to a new venture.

I don't know if that's exactly how Snowbank meant it, or how everyone else heard it. But that's what I heard.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ

For the second time I attended B&P, Bill(snowbank) was still the rock-star of the event ;)

Most of all, I was surprised that B&P somehow outdid itself! It would be unfair to claim which presentation was the best, however, from the first presentation, KungFuSteve, to the last, Jill, they were all great!

1) I need to research IRS Form 2555 more to better assist or target high income clients.(Thanks GlobalWealth!)

2) Check that your business idea satisfies at least 2 of these three factors(Thanks Snowbank!):

Does the audience want/need this product?
Will I have the best product?
Will I be able to market this?

3) Your Facebook Ad gets clicks based on your PICTURE, not your headline or body text(Thanks MJ!)

So much more learned with a special mention to Russ for reminding me to not bash my competition and always take the high road! One example from my presentation, replace the word "shady" with "creative".

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
1.) teal ties will get you attention, both women and creepy old scottsdale men.....
2.) I'm in 25C, if you're not in 25B, you're just not having a good time
3.)I will not miss B&P ever again
4.) KFS can dance like no ones business
5.)Bill is working on perfecting the carlton
6.) Mike is apparently an extra for TRON when he goes out(picture to come). Also can't wait to see him become the next Dana White (who was the Entourage guy you were talking about?)
7.) David has a "Minnesota accent" and also is on the brink of running a great business. can't wait to see what he comes up with
8.) I want to fly to L.A. for my dental work now, Jay Really has a huge opportunity on his hands with his unique angle to dentistry
9.) Jill's travel knowledge knows no bounds
10.) Cory is going to get casted for "Texas Shore" (Jersey Shore v2.0)
11.) MJ is funny as hell when he presents
12.) Don't get me started on bobby, LOL
13.) Danielle R can also dance amazingly well
14.) Danielle M can cook and host like no one's business!
15.) Mike's neighbor has the coolest "limo" ever made
16.) Forrest will be a millionaire in a few years
17.) Jay (jaybar) will also be a millionaire soon once he gets to testing his userbase
18.) Kenric really knows how to do these events, not to mention I look up to him in the e-comerce world
19.) I can't stand next to Mark B, he is too damn smart, it's making me look dumb haha
20.) Mike C is going to have an awesome time when he finally turns 21 and comes out at night at the B&P
21.) Russ's intelligences and objective thinking is limitless and can really open your eyes.
22.) Steve O is extremely intelligent and also is convincing me to move to AZ ($500 for a 2br apartment?!)
23.) Never present something that is gray area after brenton.... you will look suspicious no matter what you do or say. Now I know ahead of time what not to do!
24.) it's still undetermined if Bob actually does or does not have a camel.... will have to follow up next year
25.) Kerry knows her business well ( sorry i didn't get to see the presentation though!)
26.) Clint bores me to death with taxes but ultimately he knows his stuff, and Adi is definitely a gem! Smart woman!
27.) Sara is a very intelligent woman, unfortunately i missed her presentation (will read it when i get to hosting it!)
28.) Greg and Kathy are the most humble and pleasant people to spend time away from home with. They feel just like family!

There is some more, but the thoughts are still collecting.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
You know what's the sickest part of that 21 remark? ^^

B&P next year will be almost exactly one month before my 21st birthday. Although I'm actually like 7 years old.

Too many nuggets to count, that's for sure. My favorite part was just getting some massive inspiration and seeing how damn successful everyone is. When you live around sidewalkers and slowlaners, it's easy to think you're doing well. Once you start thinking that, you become lazy. B&P was a big wake up call for me.

MonTexan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 9, 2009
Houston, TX
25.) Kerry knows her business well ( sorry i didn't get to see the presentation though!)

You need to learn how to party.

27.) Sara is a very intelligent woman, unfortunately i missed her presentation (will read it when i get to hosting it!)

You need to learn how to party.

Bill and I were giving partying lessons the whole weekend. We will most likely be doing so at B&P 2012, so you better come prepared to learn!

All in good fun...was great meeting you. Bring the tie back next year and I'm sure you can take down a cougar/kitten combo at Prime Bar.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yeah, I seem to have lost my touch, haha.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Rep+ LightHouse! Jill only said 3 points and you hit on everyone, that said a few things stuck out to me...

5.)Bill is working on perfecting the carlton

If he was smart he'd try to be more like his twin, Mark Wahlberg, namely, as Mike M suggested, his character in Boogie Nights ;)

7.) David has a "Minnesota accent" and also is on the brink of running a great business. can't wait to see what he comes up with

My impression- nicest guy you'd ever meet who could also kill you with one finger :)

RFLMAO!!!! My guess is he'd be the "Paulie D" of the show b/c of his great hair.

19.) I can't stand next to Mark B, he is too damn smart, it's making me look dumb haha

I spent 3 days with him, how do you think I feel? Especially when YOU make me feel dumb and I found out that you're actually 2yrs younger than I am :)

20.) Mike C is going to have an awesome time when he finally turns 21 and comes out at night at the B&P

Can't wait for this! It'll be one hell of a time, looks like a good excuse for a road-trip to San Diego!

21.) Russ's intelligences and objective thinking is limitless and can really open your eyes.

Not to mention he's SUPER nice in person. As I mentioned in another thread, I really wanted to meet him and was glad that I did.

22.) Steve O is extremely intelligent and also is convincing me to move to AZ ($500 for a 2br apartment?!)

Another extremely nice guy and yes, super nice apartments are dirt cheap here thanks to supply that outweighs demand.

26.) Clint bores me to death with taxes but ultimately he knows his stuff, and Adi is definitely a gem! Smart woman!

And you bore me to death with CSS and PHP :p

I am a lucky guy - I have a beautiful, intelligent and motivated partner for the rest of my life :)

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
What surprised me the most?

1) There were no pancakes anywhere!
2) The dancing talents: Kung Fu Steve, Lighthouse and Real OG
3) Bobby (enough said)
4) That everybody thought I was from L.A
5) The amount of cougers lurking in the bars (I hope Bill is not too traumatized..)

About learning - I got atleast one importent nugget from every person, but in general:

1) The more succesful a person is, the less he talks about it - and the other way around. Where do you wanna be? (work more talk less)
2) Creativity - marketing, use of money, technology for websites etc (do what everybody does and get what they get - crap).

Thank you all - my mind is still boggling from all the valuable information learned, and my body is still recovering from all the good times at the evenings ;)

Special thanks to Bio, OG and Danielle for pulling it together so amazingly and investing so much time and effort.

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
Austin, Texas, United States
Great time all, thanks for being so kind and supportive to me and Danielle. We really enjoyed having you all over.

What surprised me:
  1. The tenacity, focus, and maturity of the younger B&Pers. You make me want to have children.
  2. The openess of people. Most folks were open books about their lives, successes and struggles - the B&P offered great ideas and support. Everyone went home smarter.
  3. Kenric's blondetourage - the volume of hot chicks he continually pulls out of the woodwork to come to these events.
  4. Davidla's game at the bars. It isn't even fair if he comes out.
The nuggets:
  1. The younger generation is learning and developing faster than the older generation. Get with the program or be consumed by the younger, faster generation. (Mike C)
  2. Do not try to monetize a good idea too quickly or you could kill it. Focus on delivering value first, become the best, then monetize. (Russ, Bill, KFS)
  3. How to protect and fix your credit as well as building commercial credit. Ver timely and immediately valuable. (Jill)
  4. Networking and new friends are the most underrated piece of the B&P. Just meeting people and hearing their story was worth the trip. (Bobby, Mike C, Greg, Jay)

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

1 - What surprised me most...

I really liked the format that everyone that attends presents. It puts pressure on the attendees to add value. I was skeptical at first of this because most events I have attended were all hired speakers.

I thought Cory was Mexican.
I thought Jill would be conservative...hahahahahahahahahahaha
David was not from LA (or MN for that matter), but it was cool to practice Russian with him
Bill was a rockstar
Steve should try out for one of those dance tv shows, or at least a hot dog eating contest
Russ was more laid back than I imagined
MJ has cool glasses
Danielle scares me a little, she was a pro football player. But she likes fries with gravy.
Kenric has pretty friends
Chris is smarter than I could even aspire to be

Nuggets...

Don't sell a product/service, sell the benefit (Steve H)
Due your own due diligence on investments (Steve O)
The psychology of pricing matters, do your homework (Mike M)
Create urgency (can't remember)
Be careful what you say to cops (Brenton)
Automate everything if possible (Chris)
So what? (Sara)
Play monopoly (Bill)
Fix FB fan page (MJ)
Check out some new WP plugins (Kerry)

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
This thread has convinced me I need to, and will go in '12. Assuming it happens.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM

I have been to too many of these to be surprised by much of anything that occurs - at the same time, it is nice to know that we are all human and no one is immune from having relatively the same struggles as anyone else from time to time.

I just posted an entire article on my own blog with tidbits of what I came away from this one with. Ultimately, I am always given valuable information - something from each and every presenter - to apply and experiment with in my business. Whatever I gain from it catapults me to where I go next. The networking and exposure is priceless.

It is worth a "Thank You" to everyone that participated and attended as you all are part of my family - even if for the most part it is a virtual relationship. I am glad to be able to know each of you.

For Icy - it always happens, and every year we hear those who say they will have to be there and never show up - I hope you are true to your word and show up, you won't regret it.

Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I just recalled the conversation from last year's B&P about the toothbrush. I just decided to buy one but got lost with so many options....

Which one is the recommended one?

Amazon.com: Sonic Toothbrush

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.