• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

Are You Weak? This Exercise Will Show You

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by MTF, Jun 17, 2018.

1. WinTheDay

WinTheDay Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $554
    The key is to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Tom.V and MTF like this.
  2. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,859
    well whatever floats your boat man.

3. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,859
    The truth of how the body oxygenates is non intuitive, even backwards.
    The more you breathe, the less oxygen reaches your cells.
    Normally the blood is 98% saturated with oxygen at all times.
    The real key ingredient is Carbon Dioxide. The more carbon dioxide is flowing in your blood stream the better, and it's high CO2 levels that stimulate the feeling of needing to take a breath.

CO2 is what causes oxygen from the blood to move into your cells(google Bohr Effect), it also causes dilation of the blood vessels which improves circulation and reduces stress on the heart, and that improved circulation is what causes the feeling of warmness in your hands and body when you breathe slower. I've felt this many times because i get cold hands easily to the point where my fingernails are purple in color, but if i focus and meditate i can literally feel the warmth flow into my hands. I used to get cold feet too but i've pretty much beaten that now.

This is why modern yoga classes are harmful, they teach to do lots of deep breaths which is the opposite of what old school yoga taught

The wim hof method does controlled hyperventilation in the form of 30 relatively quick breaths, which lowers the CO2 in the blood, so that when you hold your breath afterwards as part of the exercise, you are able to hold it for an unusually long time.

The wim hof breathing exercise is like a work out for the muscles in your blood vessels, hyperventilation will constrict you vessels, and then holding the breath slowly dilates them as the CO2 builds up. Over time your CO2 tolerance increases and health improves further and further.

Same thing with taking cold showers but in a different way, the cold shower is a mental exercise as much as physical, the ice water forces your mind to focus on the present moment, teaching mindfulness in the process. If you're in the cold shower for a while the body will go from cold to warm. We've all experienced this in a cold pool or ocean, where at first its so cold but then we acclimate.

This is all stuff i've learned while researching yoga, wim hof, health stuff, asian internal martial arts, etc.
    I feel this stuff is on the right track to longevity and youthfulness in old age.

4. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $171,791
    Yes, I learned that as well. The instructor made us hold our breath with empty lungs, meaning that you expel all the air out of your body and then hold your breath. Your body has this reflex to inhale but your brain is saying don't, I don't need to breathe. It's so weird because it feels like you are drawing O2 from your blood and you just keep holding your breath. I can definitely see how people can do it for minutes at a time. It feels weirdly comfortable.

Can 'brown fat' really help with weight loss?

One of the main things I learned at Wim Hof is the existence of brown fat and how your body reacts to cold. What happened to me is that my home is normally at 68 degrees in winter and I can sit and watch TV in T-shirt and shorts at this temp. My parents came to visit me for 1 month and since my mom is always cold I turned up the thermostat to 73. After a month, I was wearing long pants and a hoodie and getting cold at work and at home even though the room temperatures were warmer. After she left, I turned the temp back to 68 and within a few weeks, I back to my normal t-shirt and shorts. I thought it was really weird... It makes sense now why I'm always hot (this is why I don't like dressing up, a simple collar on my shirt makes he sweat) and why I have trouble gaining and keeping on weight. I guess I burn alot of calories doing nothing. :)

Deceiver, luniac and MTF like this.
  5. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $71,488
    Speaking of discomfort, I've read @wade1mil recommendation (Living with a Seal by Jesse Itzler) and David Goggins (the SEAL from the book) is crazy. The way he pushes his limits is unbelievable. I watched Joe Rogan's interview with him and man, this is one of the best interviews I've ever listened to. Check it out:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tSTk1083VY

Here are some of my raw notes from the interview:
    • People fail to see that he was the complete opposite of who he is now (society's tendency to see events over processes).
    • As a fat, comfortable guy working in a dead end job, he thought about his future in 50 years and looked back. He didn't want to regret the decisions he made so he decided to change.
    • Create a new persona and become this person (it's like creating an alter ego of a person you'd like to become).
    • We tell ourselves: "I'm not good enough." David says: "I'm going to make myself good enough."
    • Work on your psoas muscle. It's key to preventing injuries. Also: yoga.
    • Permanent results come from suffering. You have to endure sh*t. Reading won't help.
    • It's easier to accept the fact that you're just not good enough, you weren't made to do that, but you have a lot more in yourself than you think.
    • David says: "I'm not allowing myself to become civilized." You lose the fire if you get too comfortable (a full fridge, a lot of money, etc.). You never arrive (never rest on your laurels) and always seek more training and growth. He wants to become the most uncommon among uncommon people.
    • When people say "triple down on your strengths" - that's the weakest sh*t in the world, you need to work on your weaknesses to find yourself while facing something that sucks.
    • People ask him: "why don't you talk about the good times" - his answer, you know how to get through that sh*t, it's easy. What's hard is enduring the bad times and that's what people need to practice for by embracing suffering.

Longinus, splok, wade1mil and 3 others like this.
  6. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $171,791
    Read the book and listened to the podcast too. You should also listen to his podcast on Impact Theory.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78I9dTB9vqM

wade1mil, DeletedUser052 and MTF like this.
  7. luniac

Rep Bank:
    $10,859
    oh yea i forgot about the brown fat, that's a another plus for cold showers, supposedly it stimulates the production of brown fat cells.
    I've read babies have very high amount of brown fat cells but we lose them over time.

It's funny about your thermostat story, i've watched an interview with some biology professor type dude, and i think he said that our body responds to temperature in a piece wise way, so u may be cold at a higher temperature thats not high enough, but an even lower temperature will activate your brown fat cells and you'll become warmer.

8. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $71,488
    Thanks, @biophase, just watched it. After watching the interview with Joe Rogan this one was a bit repetitive, but still good. I have a couple of notes:
    • The things we're running away from: we're running from the truth.
    • People tap dance around the truth. "I don't want to hurt you because you have thin skin." Thicken your skin, don't be afraid of the reflection in the mirror.
    • If you do things you hate, there's greatness on the other side.
    • If you choose to do something, attack it.

Longinus and (deleted member) like this.
  9. luniac

Rep Bank:
    $10,859
    awesome ill watch it.

I agree with the new persona view. it's like neo in the matrix, Mr Anderson had to experience the events of the film, death, love and rebirth to become Neo. Neo is still Mr Anderson at heart but also infinitely more.

Like the book Thick Face, Black Heart mentions, fear of success is much worse than fear of failure.
    Most people including myself have always had all the tools and opportunity to succeed but i dare say that we self sabotage unconsciously.

The quote that always made me uneasy is:
    "If we divided all the money in the world equally, in a short time the rich would be rich again, and the poor would be poor."

I think that's true, to succeed you must become the type of person that succeeds.
    I'm not surprised i haven't achieved fastlane success yet, I have yet to fully overcome my social programming, habits, addictions, and especially flawed moral/ethical beliefs.

That's ok though, i still remember the exact moment i had my "f*ck this" event almost 5 years back, that epiphany unscripted my mind and immunized it. I'd rather die a failure than live scripted. Hurrah! lol

GSF, ZF Lee and MTF like this.
  10. thore

thore Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $128
    Thank you for sharing this wisdom

MTF likes this.
  11. Sartk

Sartk New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $52
    Recently i lost 20 pounds by doing some intermittent fasting, and people thought it was insane eating just once a day, some even told me i would surely gain it all back or that i would develop some medical issue.

after a few days the hunger although still there does not feel uncomfortable at all, if you wouldn't try you wouldn't know, maybe that's why they thought it was absolutly insane.

MTF and luniac like this.
  12. luniac

Rep Bank:
    $10,859
    all my coworkers are overweight and its irritating me on a deep level now that i've known for awhile that the cure is reallly truly genuinely as simple as intermittent fasting.

It's so damn simple to get in shape, simpler than anyone would suspect, but they just don't give it a chance. Anytime the topic of weight comes up i always energetically endorse intermittent fasting, but nobody ever frickin gives it a try!

Is it that frickin hard to skip breakfast, eat late lunch and early dinner? or eat breakfast and big lunch and skip dinner? both ways would fit the 16/8 schedule.

30 days of that would show results guaranteed.
    God helps those who help themselves...

MTF likes this.
  13. Sartk

Sartk New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $52
    30 days is all it took to convince me, although i went hardcore with just one meal a day, albeit a big healthy meal mostly vegetables and protein.

If anyone would like to try it in the healthiest way possible they should check out this channel:
    Dr. Eric Berg DC

MTF and luniac like this.
  14. luniac

Rep Bank:
    $10,859
    the one comment i keep getting that really does actually piss me off is
    "you're skinny cause of your fast metabolism" or
    "how old are you? oh in ur 20's? ok dont wry that man weight will hit you eventually"
    yup of course it got nothing to do with my diet and lifestyle....

MTF likes this.
  15. MakeItHappen

MakeItHappen Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,647
    @MTF
    Thanks for the thread. You made me notice the health benefits of cold showers. Since to weeks I take at least one cold shower per day and since 1 week I take them as cold as possible. I feel GREAT after every single cold shower.

BTW today I took 2 cold showers. One in the morning and one after a workout. Almost talked myself out of the second shower. It's scary how you subconscious mind tries super hard to get you to take the easy option. Call it resistance, homeostasis or whatever but if you are not aware of this force that tries to get you to always take the easy route you have pretty much lost the battle before it has begun and that is not just for business but also for health, relationships etc.

MTF likes this.
  16. MTF

Rep Bank:
    $71,488
    I'm glad to hear that, @MakeItHapen. Cold showers have anti-depressive effects and they make me feel great, too.

Definitely, and that's the whole point of this exercise.

17. splok

splok Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,582
  18. RayAndré

RayAndré Dare to differ. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,413
    wow, that felt good!
    I definitely couldn't breathe for the first minute or so. But using aspects of the Wim Hof method really helped, especially holding the breath.
    Day 1, success!

How many days in a row are others on?

MTF likes this.
  19. chuckypita

chuckypita Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $143
    Cold showers.... rule.

I listened to a radio show on 1280theZone on my way to my Slowlane job and the DJ was going on and on about the joys of cold showers. He said you have to turn on the shower and step in right away... don't wait for anything... just act.

I did the same thing trading options on the stock market...

MTF likes this.
  20. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,151
    You'll be happy to know that you do grow out of this phase. It will pass.

I was out last night and had some ice cold beers. Really really cold.

TheOrchestrator likes this.
  21. TheOrchestrator

TheOrchestrator Freedom Fighter Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,759
    Honestly, I enjoyed hearing both @MTF (and @biophase)'s and @Real Deal Denver 's perspectives on this subject. I think that if we are just focusing on some of the best documented benefits of cold showers, such as it's ability to shock you out of tiredness and into a more alert mode, heal your torn muscles faster, improve blood circulation, and help you burn fat more efficiently, then it's fine to view it as cool little hack to help give you that extra edge. But I sense that @Real Deal Denver 's main concern is that we don't let our ability to undergo it go too much to our heads. I mean, being able to withstand a cold shower may or may not help you be better able to deal with other, less-related stresses that come from things like public speaking, taking big financial risks, keeping a cool head under gunfire, or handling public rejection from an extremely attractive woman. Sure, some people, perhaps some of you here, may be able to transfer the benefits over into other domains, such as the ones mentioned above. But let's be honest, there are tons of so-called "alpha males" running around, taking pride in their ability to perform certain feats of strength and endurance, but when it comes to other areas of their lives, they're just as immature and underdeveloped as any typical prepubescent boy. Perhaps the ability to use such practices as a form of "mental conditioning/training" is a skill or discipline in and of itself, a skill that can be used to dominate other domains, not just those that relate to strength and endurance. If this is the same skill that @Real Deal Denver values, then it's practically the same skill that @MTF values as well.

Edit: (Or maybe the word I'm looking for is "quality". Perhaps it's a certain quality. -shrug)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    MTF likes this.
  22. Tom.V

Tom.V Tom Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,261
    Comfort is the enemy. Luckily I learned this lesson early on through being forced to face fears (real physical ones) and it has just rolled out into the rest of my life. The more you challenge yourself, the more uncomfortable you are, the stronger and more resilient you become in all facets of life.

Great writeup @MTF +REP

23. BigShaw

BigShaw New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $61
    Thanks for a great post! Never knew the effects of a cold shower until now. I appreciated the validation to many things I already do. I will say that when I'm expecting the cold shower it's much easier to prepare / handle it vs having the surprise of one because my kids have used up all the hot water. All in the attitude.

MTF likes this.
  24. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,151
    good as it gets.gif

25. BigShaw

BigShaw New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $61
    Did the cold shower start to the day this morning! Brisk but woke me right up / lethargy went right down the drain in a jiffy! Thanks for the suggestion.

MTF and Xeon like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.