• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Are you struggling to get started?

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by SoftStone, Jan 20, 2019.

1. SoftStone

SoftStone Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $1,078
    If you're currently feeling stuck, uncertain or anything alike, this may be worth a read. In a way, I am writing this to myself - to remind myself of what I'll be talking about if I ever forget.

I'll be sharing the top lessons (hint: they're all simple!) that got me going confidently. I'm still a minor, so in no way am I as experienced as some of the other folks on this forum. But still, these lessons have helped me so I want to give them a shot at helping some of you, too. Most of them were mentioned in the books I believe, but it's easy to overlook the obvious.

1) Just get started

Identify your skill set. If you don't have one, build one. Sell it. Make some money. Just get started with what you know. I'd like to thank @Andy Black for giving me this insight.

2) Carve out your own path
    It's not about finding a system that's working for everybody (although you, of course, don't want to be foolish and still listen to and look at things that work and apply them).

But in general, I found that it's much more effective to look at myself. What I can do (in my case, programming / web development), and how to best apply that to make it big. Starting a lawn mowing business wouldn't be wise in my situation, as I have another skill that's working much better in my situation.

With this, questions along the lines of "which skill should I learn?" or "what business should I start?" should start dissolving.

Identifying my strengths, and like @eliquid said in one of his treads, being honest with yourself is huge. Leverage your strengths. Don't take this as not needing to grow outside of your comfort zone (I've had to do that for sure) or expanding your existing skill set. You'll need to do both extensively. A fixed mindset is not what I'm advocating at all. Nobody is born with a skill set, it's always learned through process.

3) Be bolder
    Things started to change for me when I wasn't afraid of asking for help anymore, or just reaching out to great people in general to have a chat. You'll be surprised at what opportunities can come from this.

Who have you always wanted to talk to? "Pick their brains"?

Reach out to them and ask. You might get a "no", but you may get a "yes". You'll get the former 100% of the time if you don't ask.

4) Cut out noise
    I've been spending less time on forums and more time doing me. As much as I love forums (including this one), they have a tendency to let you focus on other people too much and what's working for others, and ultimately you may forget that you're on your own journey. With that said, if you're conscious of shiny object syndrome, this will be less of a problem or even no problem at all. Just don't get caught up in only observing others do awesome stuff instead of also doing it yourself.

5) Apply advice to yourself
    The advice you read about online (including this) can't fit every single situation. Realize this. Then, extract all the parts that make sense applying to yourself and filter out the advice that doesn't make sense in your situation.

I also like to not get caught up in labels and names anymore (like "fastlane"). Instead, I get clear about my goals (being great in my industry, fast wealth, ...) which are more sharply defined.

Anyway, I hope that this didn't come off too much as guru talk. This were just some of the lessons that have helped me getting started, as I'm in a pretty good spot right now as far as the future is concerned.

If you take away only one thing as a beginner: Figure out your own path!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Felix H, Sheens, John Prass and 11 others like this.
  2. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $187,183
    Great advice. Rep+

For those who aren’t in motion then just starting is the most important next step.

“You can’t steer a parked car.” (James Schramko)

Dre2001, Jello, minivanman and 2 others like this.
  3. James Klymus

James Klymus Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $267
    AWESOME writeup!

4. bambambam

bambambam Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $231

Makes sense... but where do you target the motion. Focus on a problem in your market that you can solve? Lay out a grand vision and find the first simple step to get there?

5. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $187,183
  6. SoftStone

Rep Bank:
    $1,078
    Thanks, Andy! Appreciate it.

Dre2001 and Andy Black like this.
  7. SoftStone

Rep Bank:
    $1,078
    When it comes to getting in motion, ask yourself: what can you do? How can you provide value? If you don't know, you have your problem right there. Go figure that out.

The reason it's hard to give generic advice on a forum like this is because there are so many people from so many walks of life, interests, skills, and niches that I found it's super important that you look at yourself first and foremost.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  8. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,646
    SoftStone and Dre2001 like this.
  9. Madman1996

Madman1996 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $135
    like this one Thankyou very much but where can i get the skills would you recommend udemy or another another platform ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    SoftStone likes this.
  10. SoftStone

Rep Bank:
    $1,078
    Identify which skill you'd like to learn (first). Pick a goal and work backwards. Youtube, Blogs, Books (I found these very helpful for moving to the intermediate/advanced stages, but you can find a lot of beginner books, too) or Podcasts are all at your disposal.

If you tell me what you'd like to learn I may be able to point you to some niche resources. But really, the above work well for most things. If there's a particularly good paid course (like on udemy) you'd like to get, then sure!

Personally, I got started mostly with youtube and googling in the beginning and it's definitely possible to go free for the basics, so there should be no excuse. If you want to invest some money you may find specific products that give you results faster, but that depends.

Best!

11. Madman1996

Rep Bank:
    $135
    damn what a value here man thankyou very much wishing you a blessed journey before making millions first gotta learn to make thousands o

12. Madman1996

Rep Bank:
    $135
    i like to learn how to develop websites and gonna brainstorm for more

13. SoftStone

Rep Bank:
    $1,078
    Madman1996 likes this.
  14. Madman1996

Rep Bank:
    $135
    hey man its night in the netherlands but iam still learning how to make a website feels good when people sleep and your still grinding this web development is gonna be my side hustle but i want to manufacture and invent my own product just like that guy Sal did whit his paint brush best regards

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.