The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you struggling to get started?

Anything related to matters of the mind

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
If you're currently feeling stuck, uncertain or anything alike, this may be worth a read. In a way, I am writing this to myself - to remind myself of what I'll be talking about if I ever forget.

I'll be sharing the top lessons (hint: they're all simple!) that got me going confidently. I'm still a minor, so in no way am I as experienced as some of the other folks on this forum. But still, these lessons have helped me so I want to give them a shot at helping some of you, too. Most of them were mentioned in the books I believe, but it's easy to overlook the obvious.

1) Just get started

Identify your skill set. If you don't have one, build one. Sell it. Make some money. Just get started with what you know. I'd like to thank @Andy Black for giving me this insight.

2) Carve out your own path
It's not about finding a system that's working for everybody (although you, of course, don't want to be foolish and still listen to and look at things that work and apply them).

But in general, I found that it's much more effective to look at myself. What I can do (in my case, programming / web development), and how to best apply that to make it big. Starting a lawn mowing business wouldn't be wise in my situation, as I have another skill that's working much better in my situation.

With this, questions along the lines of "which skill should I learn?" or "what business should I start?" should start dissolving.

Identifying my strengths, and like @eliquid said in one of his treads, being honest with yourself is huge. Leverage your strengths. Don't take this as not needing to grow outside of your comfort zone (I've had to do that for sure) or expanding your existing skill set. You'll need to do both extensively. A fixed mindset is not what I'm advocating at all. Nobody is born with a skill set, it's always learned through process.

3) Be bolder
Things started to change for me when I wasn't afraid of asking for help anymore, or just reaching out to great people in general to have a chat. You'll be surprised at what opportunities can come from this.

Who have you always wanted to talk to? "Pick their brains"?

Reach out to them and ask. You might get a "no", but you may get a "yes". You'll get the former 100% of the time if you don't ask.

4) Cut out noise
I've been spending less time on forums and more time doing me. As much as I love forums (including this one), they have a tendency to let you focus on other people too much and what's working for others, and ultimately you may forget that you're on your own journey. With that said, if you're conscious of shiny object syndrome, this will be less of a problem or even no problem at all. Just don't get caught up in only observing others do awesome stuff instead of also doing it yourself.

5) Apply advice to yourself
The advice you read about online (including this) can't fit every single situation. Realize this. Then, extract all the parts that make sense applying to yourself and filter out the advice that doesn't make sense in your situation.

I also like to not get caught up in labels and names anymore (like "fastlane"). Instead, I get clear about my goals (being great in my industry, fast wealth, ...) which are more sharply defined.

Anyway, I hope that this didn't come off too much as guru talk. This were just some of the lessons that have helped me getting started, as I'm in a pretty good spot right now as far as the future is concerned.

If you take away only one thing as a beginner: Figure out your own path!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If you're currently feeling stuck, uncertain or anything alike, this may be worth a read. In a way, I am writing this to myself - to remind myself of what I'll be talking about if I ever forget.

I'll be sharing the top lessons (hint: they're all simple!) that got me going confidently. I'm still a minor, so in no way am I as experienced as some of the other folks on this forum. But still, these lessons have helped me so I want to give them a shot at helping some of you, too. Most of them were mentioned in the books I believe, but it's easy to overlook the obvious.

1) Just get started

Identify your skill set. If you don't have one, build one. Sell it. Make some money. Just get started with what you know. I'd like to thank @Andy Black for giving me this insight.

2) Carve out your own path
It's not about finding a system that's working for everybody (although you, of course, don't want to be foolish and still listen to and look at things that work and apply them).

But in general, I found that it's much more effective to look at myself. What I can do (in my case, programming / web development), and how to best apply that to make it big. Starting a lawn mowing business wouldn't be wise in my situation, as I have another skill that's working much better in my situation.

With this, questions along the lines of "which skill should I learn?" or "what business should I start?" should start dissolving.

Identifying my strengths, and like @eliquid said in one of his treads, being honest with yourself is huge. Leverage your strengths. Don't take this as not needing to grow outside of your comfort zone (I've had to do that for sure) or expanding your existing skill set. You'll need to do both extensively. A fixed mindset is not what I'm advocating at all. Nobody is born with a skill set, it's always learned through process.

3) Be bolder
Things started to change for me when I wasn't afraid of asking for help anymore, or just reaching out to great people in general to have a chat. You'll be surprised at what opportunities can come from this.

Who have you always wanted to talk to? "Pick their brains"?

Reach out to them and ask. You might get a "no", but you may get a "yes". You'll get the former 100% of the time if you don't ask.

4) Cut out noise
I've been spending less time on forums and more time doing me. As much as I love forums (including this one), they have a tendency to let you focus on other people too much and what's working for others, and ultimately you may forget that you're on your own journey. With that said, if you're conscious of shiny object syndrome, this will be less of a problem or even no problem at all. Just don't get caught up in only observing others do awesome stuff instead of also doing it yourself.

5) Apply advice to yourself
The advice you read about online (including this) can't fit every single situation. Realize this. Then, extract all the parts that make sense applying to yourself and filter out the advice that doesn't make sense in your situation.

I also like to not get caught up in labels and names anymore (like "fastlane"). Instead, I get clear about my goals (being great in my industry, fast wealth, ...) which are more sharply defined.

Anyway, I hope that this didn't come off too much as guru talk. This were just some of the lessons that have helped me getting started, as I'm in a pretty good spot right now as far as the future is concerned.

If you take away only one thing as a beginner: Figure out your own path!
Great advice. Rep+

For those who aren’t in motion then just starting is the most important next step.

“You can’t steer a parked car.” (James Schramko)

bambambam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 3, 2016
Great advice. Rep+

For those who aren’t in motion then just starting is the most important next step.

“You can’t steer a parked car.” (James Schramko)

Makes sense... but where do you target the motion. Focus on a problem in your market that you can solve? Lay out a grand vision and find the first simple step to get there?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
Makes sense... but where do you target the motion. Focus on a problem in your market that you can solve? Lay out a grand vision and find the first simple step to get there?

When it comes to getting in motion, ask yourself: what can you do? How can you provide value? If you don't know, you have your problem right there. Go figure that out.

The reason it's hard to give generic advice on a forum like this is because there are so many people from so many walks of life, interests, skills, and niches that I found it's super important that you look at yourself first and foremost.

Last edited:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
4mkSumH.png

This was posted by RHL in this thread: GOLD! - Getting started is this simple...

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
like this one Thankyou very much but where can i get the skills would you recommend udemy or another another platform ?

Last edited:

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
like this one thankyou very much but where can i get the skills would you recommend udemy or do another platform ?

Identify which skill you'd like to learn (first). Pick a goal and work backwards. Youtube, Blogs, Books (I found these very helpful for moving to the intermediate/advanced stages, but you can find a lot of beginner books, too) or Podcasts are all at your disposal.

If you tell me what you'd like to learn I may be able to point you to some niche resources. But really, the above work well for most things. If there's a particularly good paid course (like on udemy) you'd like to get, then sure!

Personally, I got started mostly with youtube and googling in the beginning and it's definitely possible to go free for the basics, so there should be no excuse. If you want to invest some money you may find specific products that give you results faster, but that depends.

Best!

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
Identify which skill you'd like to learn (first). Pick a goal and work backwards. Youtube, Blogs, Books (I found these very helpful for moving to the intermediate/advanced stages, but you can find a lot of beginner books, too) or Podcasts are all at your disposal.

If you tell me what you'd like to learn I may be able to point you to some niche resources. But really, the above work well for most things. If there's a particularly good paid course (like on udemy) you'd like to get, then sure!

Personally, I got started mostly with youtube and googling in the beginning and it's definitely possible to go free for the basics, so there should be no excuse. If you want to invest some money you may find specific products that give you results faster, but that depends.

Best!
damn what a value here man thankyou very much wishing you a blessed journey before making millions first gotta learn to make thousands o

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
For web development, check out this thread: A Comprehensive Guide To Learning Web Development
hey man its night in the netherlands but iam still learning how to make a website feels good when people sleep and your still grinding this web development is gonna be my side hustle but i want to manufacture and invent my own product just like that guy Sal did whit his paint brush best regards

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.