The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any Jordan Peterson fans out there?

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ahh no for me what was depressing was the journalism side of it if that makes sense. She's smart, she knows better, but so many people believe what they hear and it's depressing to see despite how obvious it is. I know it's been going on forever but I haven't had a tv in quite a few years while traveling and had forgotten about it a little lol.

Edit: it's so late here and that is one of the crappiest explanations of a post I've ever given

Yep. Women, and even a majority of men, learn about masculinity and life in general from shows like the Bachelorette, romantic comedies, etc. It's all garbage.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MAU

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Mar 10, 2016
Silver Spring Maryland
I'm about 100 pages in and not positive what to think or if I need to keep reading. Some of the lessons seem obvious - maybe useful to people who's lives are a mess. But so far it's been: be confident, take care of yourself, don't hang out with losers, compare yourself to yourself not others. To be honest: a lot of this was covered in MFL it seems.

Got hooked on Jordan Petersons Youtube videos so got his audiobook. Unfortunately, had to return it after part one because while I found his Youtube videos concise and inspiring, the book just seemed to ramble on with the same ideas and points made over and over again. My recommendation is to skip the book and go all out on his videos.

Your Boy George

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Dec 2, 2017
Austin, Texas
Got hooked on Jordan Petersons Youtube videos so got his audiobook. Unfortunately, had to return it after part one because while I found his Youtube videos concise and inspiring, the book just seemed to ramble on with the same ideas and points made over and over again. My recommendation is to skip the book and go all out on his videos.
He tends to repeat the same ideas over and over which isn't a bad thing. A few great ideas > many half baked ideas

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I do not understand why there are so many Jordan Peterson videos re-posted on YouTube by PUA (Pick up artists).
Probably because Peterson talks a lot about male-female relationship, mating game and hypergamy which are things PUA are interested in learning from, you know social dynamics and evolutionary psychology in action.

ahartley

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jan 15, 2018
Lewis Center, OH
Listened to the audio book of 12 Rules For Life. Much of it was great, some of it was meh, a little of it was garbage. Agree with @Paolo Rizzo that it was "religion-heavy," though some of that was very interesting to me as well, from an interpretation standpoint.

I will say that I did not necessarily buy his stance on everything (specifically when he gets into gender roles and privilege, etc.), but overall I think he had an interesting take on things.

YMMV, but I would say it was worth reading (or in my case, listening to).

loop101

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
He does a good job of pointing out the obvious things that our disintegrating culture forbids. I predict he will be assassinated by someone trying to stop Hitler.

Daniel James

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2018
Southwest Florida
Hey Trey,

Yeah I've followed Peterson for quite a while now. At first I was enamored with him but as time has gone on I've become more critical of some of his positions as I've learned the nuance of his arguments and ideas. I think it's probably worth a read, particularly if you like the way he reframes religious stories to apply to modern life.

I actually posted a review of his book on my YouTube channel not long ago. Here it is if you'd care to hear the nitty-gritty about the book.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'm a fan of Jordan Peterson.

He's one of the best communicators I've ever watched and does an amazing job of winning you over to his side.

A lot to learn from in terms of persuasion.

MiLeung

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 13, 2018
I bought it on Audible and I would say there are some good bits here and there with the frequent story tangents that so many authors like to do. My problem was that there were too many biblical references, so I returned it.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Regarding the cult-like status, although Jordan Peterson is great, I think the hardcore cult following are the neckbeard types because he's saying: you need to be alpha, casual sex is wrong, women aren't as agressive, etc.
This is definitely a misinterpretation of his message though. He talks about how men can improve themselves by becoming competent and benevolent, rather than bitter and resentful. I think his most devoting following will truly get his message, and the rest will shrink back into r/TheRedPill whichever other degenerate forum they frequent.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I agree with his stuff. Don't agree with his politics (well, I agree with some of em but certainly not all of them).

His idea that there's a radical leftist conspiracy in academia is based on truth and yet is a bit of a reach. Truth is, academics are mostly just sheltered but smart kids who never wanted to stop partying and were able to keep doing the college thing long enough to make it a career. They have no idea what the real world is like. Dr. Peterson is one of the few who isn't quite like this, as he grew up in a not-so-good part of rural Alberta during an economic recession.

If you consider this, of COURSE most academics would be radical leftists! It's not a conspiracy or a plot to overthrow anything. They teach what they teach because they're sheltered, and maybe it does have a negative effect on students who speak up about their own politics. Maybe it does create a 'safe space', an ideological silo where unrealistic beliefs become reality. But it's certainly not a conspiracy.

...anyway I'm done getting political here.

As far as what he teaches, it's actually pretty good for people (especially men) who have lost their way or forgotten what they should be doing in life. Depression sets in when you're lost, directionless. He helps people find that way.

Some may find that he states the obvious or belabours points that needn't be belaboured. But I think he's overall a positive influence on people my age and younger.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
I like the way he analyses things from deep perspective. Nothing is set in stone but has a number of factors working behind the scenes.

Especially his sayings about men and women office working environment , very intriguing.

Windward

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Feb 1, 2018
Perth Australia
I'm half way through 12 rules, so far its very good. Some interesting concepts to think about, I like his take on pre-history that comes out in his analysis.

The 'Don't lie, ever' thing got me thinking, how much easier would life be if you didn't lie to your self or others in any way. Even day to day choices, is this project really useful or am I kidding myself. Not lying would also force you to think and present a stronger face to the world.

As others have said I'll have to read it a few times to digest it properly.

Windward

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Feb 1, 2018
Perth Australia
Good question, can anyone think of people who think in a similar way? I'd be interested to expand my knowledge in this area.

Thomas Sowell is one.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various

I think this video sums up what I dislike about him, and why I don't watch his videos. He's a profoundly pessimistic and negative person. He basically ended that lesson with "if you're at the bottom you're f--cked; end of lesson". Let's just ignore the 1 billion people who left poverty since 1990.

This is why I'll watch a Thiel video over a Peterson video any day.

Both draw attention to the power law, something I believe is very important. But Thiel at least offers advice on how people can counteract it. And actually smiles some times. I get the feeling if I spent too much time around Peterson I'd consider jumping off something tall.

Peterson is passionate about pointing out how 1% in any domain get most of the goods, and how a tiny fraction of a company produces most of the results. I.e. all the "life's so hard" stuff. He doesn't point out that the number of domains are infinite, and that the power law is also the origin of the "your first million is the hardest" effect (as you start to enter the blade of the hockey stick, a slight movement further into the blade produces a large change in results). Just telling people how tough life is, but then giving basic advice like "make your bed", just doesn't cut it.

He at least talked about the churn of the 1%. He could've talked about what usually leads to entry to it. I'm guessing he didn't because he doesn't really care -- it's too positive and optimistic a topic.

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
@GoGetter24 you are missing a key point
Please allow to me to explain.

life is hard, and F*cking miserable sometimes. Just because you are in the 1% of the lucky people of this planet (you have food, shelter,a wifi connection) it doesn't make any less struggling.
What Peterson makes you focus is to understand how LUCKY you are to be already there and you can AIM at something honorable and have a chance to get further into another 1% cluster of "luckier" people.

That's one of his key points: be precise and aim high!

Even if you are a Stoicist, you will see similarities in accept what you can't control and start to work towards something better with what you have (clean your room!)

I suggest reading a bit of Nassim Taleb, with the INCERTO series, if you thought Peterson didn't touch success because it was too optimistic, wait till you read him :D :D :D :D

yetieater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 3, 2012
HTX
I once saw that Jordan Peterson is an intellectual for unintelligent people. I think it was clickbait, but is there any truth to that? :wideyed:

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I love Jordan . I was just watching him on Joe Rogans show today . Im looking forward to checking out 12 Rules For Life for sure

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
He's a profoundly pessimistic and negative person

This was something I noticed too. I don't share your degree of dislike for Peterson, but I find that he's a depressant in large doses. Mainly because I don't agree with the idea that "life is suffering." (It's a part of life, but it's not life itself. I'm not suffering right now. I'm having a pretty fantastic day.)

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
This was something I noticed too. I don't share your degree of dislike for Peterson, but I find that he's a depressant in large doses. Mainly because I don't agree with the idea that "life is suffering." (It's a part of life, but it's not life itself. I'm not suffering right now. I'm having a pretty fantastic day.)

I have limited knowledge on this, but I think it relates to my question of whether it's fastlane material. It seems like a lot of it is targeted to young men in the pits of despair.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I really like the guy, but the fact that what he's saying is big news for a bunch of millennial men also makes me a little sad. Did nobody under the age of 35 have a surly hardass grandpa? If you leave out the cat rule and add a generous amount of profanity, I feel like most of it was standard stuff you heard from older guys growing up.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I'm a fan. Read 12 rules and thought it was great. Lot of reading between the lines to unlock the value.

The fact that the rules almost seem too simple and logical is the beauty of it. The simplest solutions are usually the most elegant and most difficult.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
My girlfriend and I went for a Jordan Peterson's world tour presentation last night. It was pretty anticlimactic. He talked for 2 hours non-stop before we decided to leave. Even in college he has to take breaks every 1:20.

But that wasn't the main disappointment. He stated the lecture with talking about Gulags and Nazi concentration camps, then moved on to serial killers, then to people with mental disorders, then talked for over a half an hour about the Garden of Eden and the stories in the Old Testament. I fell asleep a few times. We decided to leave early to beat the traffic.

I agree, he is a deeply negative and unhappy person, who was able to find philosophical ways to explain his unhappiness, the cruel world around him, and his reason for being. None of this rings a bell for me. Although he does find peculiar and sometimes entertaining explanations for many things.

I think all the MGTOWs and PUAs on YouTube do a much better job of presenting his ideas and putting them into context than he does himself. I would stick to those videos of him from now on.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.