The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any Jordan Peterson fans out there?

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
My favorite book is his magnum opus, Maps of meaning.
Does he have a map there that is more like my map, where if you think and work hard, you will do well, the world will help you because it loves you, and the omnipotent God won't come and kill your family and make you suffer for eternity?

I am honestly thinking that a guy with his mind should be able to realize that not all live in the same doom-and-gloom universe that he lives in. If all his stories are tragedies, then I should start avoiding that guy. Actually, I am hoping someone else will tell me if he has a map for me, or all his maps are just various degrees of sadness, because I do not want to read or watch anymore of his stuff to confirm what I am suspecting about him already.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I'm surprised Jordan Peterson has not been assassinated. He talks about things you're not supposed to discuss.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I'm surprised Jordan Peterson has not been assassinated. He talks about things you're not supposed to discuss.
Like what?

This is the United States of America. 1st Amendment-free speech

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
One critique I have of JP is his habit of redefining words. For example, on youtube there's a two hour argument with Sam Harris about the proper definition of "truth." Most people would assume the definition "that which is consistent with physical reality," but JP uses something closer to "the way one should act morally." There's other examples too, especially with regards to religion.

I think trying to force others to conform to your own custom definitions is a form of intellectually bullying, even if your own definitions are better. Words are defined based on how people actually use them, not how they should be used.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
One critique I have of JP is his habit of redefining words. For example, on youtube there's a two hour argument with Sam Harris about the proper definition of "truth." Most people would assume the definition "that which is consistent with physical reality," but JP uses something closer to "the way one should act morally." There's other examples too, especially with regards to religion.

I think trying to force others to conform to your own custom definitions is a form of intellectually bullying, even if your own definitions are better. Words are defined based on how people actually use them, not how they should be used.
He's redefined truth...

He's redefined God...

He's redefined water...

He questions what you mean by 'Jesus'...

And that is because Jordan Peterson promotes epistemological relativism, a postmodern school of thought that argues truth is relative, and disguises it as some strange sort of evolutionary pragmatism...

"Events as they occurred are only factual but not necessarily true. True is a judgment call and is therefore open to interpretation. The claim of ‘something's’ validity can only be made when one can see ‘the bigger picture’ — the wellbeing of humanity or ‘life’ itself. Only then can we know if something is true rather than just factual or ‘materialistically true’."

"There are truths other than the literal that perhaps are more truthful than even literal truths."

And on the Sam Harris podcast, he's said:

"If it doesn’t serve life, it’s not true."

This could be all fine and dandy. He's not the only one to speak of these Darwinian-ish ideas. But it's dishonest and deceptive of him to act as if he's on a crusade against postmodernism, and yet promote one of its most characterizing ideas - relativism.

But then...

To Jordan Peterson -- Truth is what makes you come out on the other side as a WINNER.

Read that again:

Truth is what makes you come out on the other side as a WINNER.

Would you trust the intellectual integrity of a man with that opinion?

Inb4 JBP fanboys rushing in to say "What he REALLY means is that..."

chuckypita

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Lake City
I like Jordan Peterson.
I like DJ DeMarco.
I like Lew Rockwell.
I like Murray Rothbard.
I like Ron Paul.
I like Ben Shapiro.
I like Ezra T. Benson.

Those are a few "influencers" that I've read about and have respect for their perspectives.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.