The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An introduction and an important question

Jack Spokes

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 17, 2021
Do you ever have those surreal moments in time where everything stops and you get a glimpse into reality and a true sense of self?

Hi,

I'm Jack.

I just finished reading Millionaire Fastlane and the feeling of urgency to turn my life around is heavy. Making it through each chapter put a strain on my beliefs and made me really question my current life choices and trajectory. For my entire adult life I've lived and breathed 9-5, relishing the 2 days off every week and grinding away at a job I have to carry out to pay the bills. I've tried and failed many ideas, usually due to my inaction and fear of failure. I've walked the Sidewalk, eventually "came to my senses" and drove the Slowlane, but now I've got my indicator on and I'm ready to merge.

I have a plethora of Fastlane ideas, all within the criteria of the CENTS model. I have the drive and ambition to make real and lasting changes, but most importantly add value. I'm super keen to contribute to this forum and hopefully ask meaningful questions to get others to think.

My current skillset is centred around the automotive industry (motor mechanic by trade), which in all fairness doesn't include the scale or magnitude factor. So with that in mind, I have a question.

Should I focus on:
  • Building a personal brand
OR
  • Learning what I need to in order to carry out said Fastlane ideas (marketing, coding, web developement, design etc)

Building a personal brand has its benefits, from being able to impact millions to creating a story behind your products and services.
On the other hand, if your products and services are that good, you don't need a personal brand to market them. People will come to you for the value alone.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Jack

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
On the other hand, if your products and services are that good, you don't need a personal brand to market them.
Most people here will tell you that having a personal brand is the way to go. Once you build it, it means almost free marketing.

And your products don’t have to be that good either. People will buy them. Take example of Khaby Lame. Although extreme( 100+m followers) he built a brand around himself. He makes money on endorsements etc, but also on his own personal shop. Take a look what he sells there, the way the website is poorly made and you’ll realize it doesn’t really matter if you have a brand.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Do you ever have those surreal moments in time where everything stops and you get a glimpse into reality and a true sense of self?

Hi,

I'm Jack.

I just finished reading Millionaire Fastlane and the feeling of urgency to turn my life around is heavy. Making it through each chapter put a strain on my beliefs and made me really question my current life choices and trajectory. For my entire adult life I've lived and breathed 9-5, relishing the 2 days off every week and grinding away at a job I have to carry out to pay the bills. I've tried and failed many ideas, usually due to my inaction and fear of failure. I've walked the Sidewalk, eventually "came to my senses" and drove the Slowlane, but now I've got my indicator on and I'm ready to merge.

I have a plethora of Fastlane ideas, all within the criteria of the CENTS model. I have the drive and ambition to make real and lasting changes, but most importantly add value. I'm super keen to contribute to this forum and hopefully ask meaningful questions to get others to think.

My current skillset is centred around the automotive industry (motor mechanic by trade), which in all fairness doesn't include the scale or magnitude factor. So with that in mind, I have a question.

Should I focus on:
  • Building a personal brand
OR
  • Learning what I need to in order to carry out said Fastlane ideas (marketing, coding, web developement, design etc)

Building a personal brand has its benefits, from being able to impact millions to creating a story behind your products and services.
On the other hand, if your products and services are that good, you don't need a personal brand to market them. People will come to you for the value alone.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Jack
Brand and reputation come from the trust, which is built by the values which you have provided in the past. This often is the case when you sell your own product or service.

Let us say you are an affiliate marketer who has been providing free content for years and have hundred of thousands of fans, they trust you and hence will buy what you recommend.

It seems to me that it is always about providing value upfront first.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The right answer depends on the person. It can be either. You have to determine which fits best for you. So in other words, there probably is no wrong answer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
My current skillset is centred around the automotive industry (motor mechanic by trade), which in all fairness doesn't include the scale or magnitude factor.
Of course you can leverage your motor mechanic skills to scale and magnitude.

You have to think beyond modern mass market cars.

Outside work, are you involved in any particular car related activities?

Jack Spokes

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 17, 2021
Thanks for the replies!

@woken
I agree about the almost free marketing aspect. Being able to leverage your followers has the factor of scalability too. I'm not looking to go down the road of selling stuff people don't need, but I'm catching what you're throwing with the Khaby Lame example. It's funny what people do with such a massive following.

@Kevin88660
I see what you mean. Value upfront equals trust. Trust equals brand and reputation.

@MJ DeMarco
Interesting. I might have to utilise the WADM in this instance. Thanks for the insight!

@OMJ
Outside work, not anymore. The current circumstances of lockdowns and restricted movement has cut the modified car scene to a standstill in my city. I like where you're going though, thinking outside the box. I'll do some brainstorming and see what I can come up with. So far none of my auto industry ideas fit the CENTS model.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Australia, Melbourne.

I'm personally into old school BMW's but they car scene here is very broad.
Modified BMW have a very devoted following.
Opportunities for personal brand building in that niche too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...