The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An Excel Course?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One of my continuing ed classes for my commercial real estate appraiser's license was all about Excel pivot tables. I'm not sure how much of it stuck with me after the class.

I've used Excel for years -- but Andy is right. Most spreadsheets use very few of the features available in the program. The place where many features become important is where one is setting up a template for a specific result. I like to fill in some basic numbers into a set of cells, which are linked to the calculation cells -- sometimes in several linked spreadsheets or infographics. I want the program to do the heavy lifting for me.

I have one spreadsheet that figures my Borough sales taxes for my rentals. I fill in the basic numbers and the spreadsheet run those numbers by applying the tax rules and exemptions. It saves me hours every quarter when I must write those reports. BUT, setting up the calculation cells took a lot of time -- and then I had to do the critical testing to make sure the cells were both working and working together correctly. That seems to be the sticking point for most people who haven't use Excel that much. They don't understand the testing aspects when setting up a new spreadsheet. That may be a place where a class would be useful.
Yes! People often can’t test what they’ve done because they’re too messy and/or done too many steps in one rather than build the spreadsheet up gradually - testing as they go. I’ll naturally address that, but it’s a good idea to point it out too. Thanks @WJK.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some good feedback on that first Excel video:

Andy I love the video and the branding. Learned so much about Excel in 5 minutes, you really teach this with 0 fluff!

It pulled me into wanting to learn more. Loved the example too and how it was useful to show off so many features.

glenm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 12, 2011
Ohio
Andy, I think your angle of "get sh*t done with Excel" is excellent. I personally don't have the attention span to sit through those long a$$ courses. For example I signed up for an SEO course on Udemy and its 12 hours or so. I started but never finished and for the throwaway price of $10 I don't care. I signed up for your adwords course and I knocked it out in a day. It gave me the important steps to get started not in depth detail of every setting. Now I am learning with trial and error, which IMO is the best way to learn and retain information.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy, I think your angle of "get sh*t done with Excel" is excellent. I personally don't have the attention span to sit through those long a$$ courses. For example I signed up for an SEO course on Udemy and its 12 hours or so. I started but never finished and for the throwaway price of $10 I don't care. I signed up for your adwords course and I knocked it out in a day. It gave me the important steps to get started not in depth detail of every setting. Now I am learning with trial and error, which IMO is the best way to learn and retain information.
You're exactly the same as me. I lose the will to live with long-winded intros etc. If it's video then it's hard to skim so get to the point already please!

I'll make it a practical course. I'll see about the "get sh*t done" angle. I may not call it out specifically like that!

glenm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 12, 2011
Ohio
I'll make it a practical course. I'll see about the "get sh*t done" angle. I may not call it out specifically like that!

I think something like that catchy it would grab my attention. "The Get Sh*t done in Excel Course" "The no BS approach to the information you need"

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think something like that catchy it would grab my attention. "The Get Sh*t done in Excel Course" "The no BS approach to the information you need"
I’ll try to word it to appeal to you (and me) while also thinking of the more corporate angle.

My accountant was round yesterday and we were talking about the revenue from my course and newsletter.

She mentioned how she’s done an Excel course for her ongoing CPD. She suggested I have some certification so people could put it against the hours they need to do each year.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@glenm

Since you appear to be in my target market (in that you're not interested in learning for the sake of learning) did you watch the 6 min video I created?

What's your takeaways?

View: https://youtu.be/MzJ5MCcDyd4

Woohoo! One in a row!

On another note, I've just spotted I've got one subscriber! Thanks, whoever you are.

glenm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 12, 2011
Ohio
@glenm

Since you appear to be in my target market (in that you're not interested in learning for the sake of learning) did you watch the 6 min video I created?

What's your takeaways?

I sure did,

I like the approach, thinking about it as to how I would benefit from these videos. I am someone who has used excel for 20+ years. I have taken some training on it but most of what I have learned has been trial and error. The things the have stuck with me from the training's are more what is possible with excel, I never remember how to do it unless its something I do frequently. So what happens for me is I will remember that excel can do something I need but then I search youtube to find a video on that function (before youtube I would reference the training material). For instance I am not that familiar with vlookup but I see the power of it from your video, and now the next time I need that function I will look for a detailed video of how to use it.

I hope that makes sense.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I sure did,

I like the approach, thinking about it as to how I would benefit from these videos. I am someone who has used excel for 20+ years. I have taken some training on it but most of what I have learned has been trial and error. The things the have stuck with me from the training's are more what is possible with excel, I never remember how to do it unless its something I do frequently. So what happens for me is I will remember that excel can do something I need but then I search youtube to find a video on that function (before youtube I would reference the training material). For instance I am not that familiar with vlookup but I see the power of it from your video, and now the next time I need that function I will look for a detailed video of how to use it.

I hope that makes sense.
Yes, that makes sense. I want people to see what can be done and why they’d want to do it. The “how” part is less important.

Unfortunately most people focus on “how” when they train.

KeithWallace

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jun 7, 2018
Hey Andy. I also took the Kyle Pew 16 hour beginner to advanced course from Udemy for £10.

Motivation and reason I chose that course was because I wanted to understand how Excel works and what you can do with it. I knew it was awesome software and could do tons of stuff, and that most people only scratch the surface of what it can do.

I didn't have a project in mind or anything I needed to do. I just wanted to be 'good' with Excel - I like to be the most knowledgeable person in my environment about software and systems, although I do also have an interest in automating anything I can.

Without the need to 'get sh*t done', I was happy to sit through 16 hours of Excel training, and finished the course. Felt like good value.

Without a decent understanding of Excel and how it all works, I would be unlikely to invest in a narrow 1 hour course about how to do one specific thing in Excel, even if I needed to get that thing done.

Not to say you're wrong with where you're heading, just wanted to add a different viewpoint from someone who was happy with the mass market cheap Udemy course, as you were asking someone earlier why they chose that course. I'm almost certainly not the kind of customer you should be targeting though.

wouldntitbenice

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 13, 2018
When I first set out to learn Excel (the built in features + vba) I had a lot of false starts. I was genuinely excited about Excel and saw its value to my career, but it wasn't clicking. It wasn't until I was at a job where I had a reason to apply Excel to solve a problem that my learning shot off like a rocket.

Every advancement of my knowledge came from new problems I had to solve. Pivot tables were hard to grasp at first for me (and apparently others) despite being pretty proficient in the app already, but once I saw how they applied to my work they made sense. I've realized that my ability to quickly learn is greatly influenced by having an immediate way to apply such learning...probably more than the average person.

If possible, I would tailor teaching to a specific segment of users. How is Excel typically used for people working in SEO or how do people in the real estate market use Excel? The only general concept I would cover is how to correctly arrange, format, and doll up a spreadsheet...which you did.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
When I first set out to learn Excel (the built in features + vba) I had a lot of false starts. I was genuinely excited about Excel and saw its value to my career, but it wasn't clicking. It wasn't until I was at a job where I had a reason to apply Excel to solve a problem that my learning shot off like a rocket.

Every advancement of my knowledge came from new problems I had to solve. Pivot tables were hard to grasp at first for me (and apparently others) despite being pretty proficient in the app already, but once I saw how they applied to my work they made sense. I've realized that my ability to quickly learn is greatly influenced by having an immediate way to apply such learning...probably more than the average person.

If possible, I would tailor teaching to a specific segment of users. How is Excel typically used for people working in SEO or how do people in the real estate market use Excel? The only general concept I would cover is how to correctly arrange, format, and doll up a spreadsheet...which you did.
As a retired commercial real estate appraiser, we use Excel pivotal tables for evaluating cash flows and statistical analysis studies. Those appraisal reports run around 100 pages and have a lot of data involved. I'm glad I'm retired and I'm only a professional real estate investor these days.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Yes, this is how I learn too. I have no desire to learn for learnings sake. I want to solve the problem in front of me in the simplest way possible.

I’d create a course to help people like me.

William Ainslie

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Dec 13, 2016
South Africa
I think this would be quite a good angle. I would purchase a Google Sheets course about building a dashboard that could help me manage my business more easily. Currently I'm using Trello to run my agency.

In the past year, I did buy an excel course: Microsoft Excel - Excel from Beginner to Advanced

However, I only used the lectures on Pivot Tables, Macros and VBA, skipped the rest because I was already quite familiar. Why did I buy this course? It was the first one my eyes landed on which addressed a bunch of the topics I wanted, and it was cheap: $10.

The tough thing with things like Excel courses is that it's HARD to get your money's worth from it. You have a ton of competitors, and just learning excel by itself very rarely translates directly into $$. So the price you can charge is relatively little. But maybe you can make up for that through volume. Not sure.
I would also buy this course - I start using it and screw it up and start again...

and use it for my adds which I am starting with in March.

Please @Andy Black I know you want to.

William Ainslie

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Dec 13, 2016
South Africa
I would also buy this course - I start using it and screw it up and start again...

and use it for my adds which I am starting with in March.

Please @Andy Black I know you want to.
Sorry meant I start google sheets and screw it up in the past.

and after your course I know the right approach

John Clancy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Feb 23, 2015
@Andy Black Here's an example of a Google Sheets "Get Sh*t Done" style course I just finished running through: Google Sheets - Dashboard Design

It's brief (~40 mins). But it was relatively inexpensive at 13 euro, and has helped me to solve a challenge I've been kicking around for a while now - creating attractive user dashboards in Sheets.

The course doesn't have a ton of reviews, but they're nearly all very positive. The instructor really knows his stuff. There's very little fluff... which, in this case, is a good thing.

Might be worth a gander if you're looking for an example to model (even if you're aiming higher than the ~$10 price bracket!)

Edit: @Black_Dragon43 could be worth a look for you too?

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
My favorite function discovered so far, has been Concatenate for content template building. It is amazing, but tricky.

The formula behind the paragraphs look more like CNC code with a string of fifty blocks, “g14+h28+a27”, but worth it to make for lightning fast creation of similar content. Like having the html styling and actual content of a product page that uses the same type of descriptive elements regardless of the product.

But im a self taught idiot, so the inside-excell pages are absolutely hideous and confusing.

Would you be doing any sort of teaching on building templates, or is a generic course on excell organization really all that is needed for such a specific idea?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My favorite function discovered so far, has been Concatenate for content template building. It is amazing, but tricky.

The formula behind the paragraphs look more like CNC code with a string of fifty blocks, “g14+h28+a27”, but worth it to make for lightning fast creation of similar content. Like having the html styling and actual content of a product page that uses the same type of descriptive elements regardless of the product.

But im a self taught idiot, so the inside-excell pages are absolutely hideous and confusing.

Would you be doing any sort of teaching on building templates, or is a generic course on excell organization really all that is needed for such a specific idea?
Yeah, I use “&” instead of concatenate to create Google Ads campaigns.

Put “Blacksmiths” into cell a1, “Dublin” into cell b1, and then this into cell c1:
  • =“Looking for “&a1&” in “&b1&”?”

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
@glenm

What's your takeaways?

View: https://youtu.be/MzJ5MCcDyd4

Woohoo! One in a row!

On another note, I've just spotted I've got one subscriber! Thanks, whoever you are.

View attachment 30041

I was about to look up a function, after being somewhat inspired by this excel conversation, and decided to first watch your video to see what you had created. I was going to clean up what I used for templates, but start from scratch, but wondered about linking back and forth between tabs dynamically.

What are the odds that you literally showcased the exact thing I was going to go try and find?! You now have another like and subscriber!

Sidenote: You should look into reading for audible. You have one of those smooth radio voices!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was about to look up a function, after being somewhat inspired by this excel conversation, and decided to first watch your video to see what you had created. I was going to clean up what I used for templates, but start from scratch, but wondered about linking back and forth between tabs dynamically.

What are the odds that you literally showcased the exact thing I was going to go try and find?! You now have another like and subscriber!

Sidenote: You should look into reading for audible. You have one of those smooth radio voices!
Ha. What’s the chances?

Thanks, it’s been said before that I should do voiceovers.

I’ve not done a video in the last few days as I’ve got a head cold and cough.

I didn’t know what to call that video. I didn’t create it “to be found” by people doing searches for vlookups or for a how-to tutorials. I’d rather run ads to get in front of people like yourself.

I’m trying to show how I think when using Excel as a tool. People have watched me doing things in Excel (or shell scripting or building Google Ads campaigns) and commented that it’s like I think while typing.

For this video I decided to move at almost normal speed with a running commentary, and let people pick up small things that I chose not to explain in excruciating detail like other videos seem to do.

I’ll probably load a few more videos on YouTube to gauge reactions from people in this thread, then I’ll likely have a better idea of what to put into a course.

I think I’d then knock videos up, upload to a new Thinkific installation, then slap a price on it. If someone buys them I’m off to the races. (I’d have loved to have made the first sale in under a week but the head cold put paid to that.)

Then I’d be trying to figure out how to get in front of people who don’t already know me. The first sale via a Google or YouTube Ad would be a major milestone I think.

I may or may not start building an email list using ads of people looking for Excel tips. That’s an interesting exercise itself, but maybe something to tackle later. We’ll see.

gloriusubiquity

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jul 1, 2019
Hey Andy,

Just watched your video and loved it!

I learned a bunch just watching it. For example, the simplicity of vlookup (I usually use INDEX and MATCH)

Also the remove duplicates button. Pretty useful!

One thing I wanted to add was that if you use Google Sheets, you can have the USD/EUR/GBP exchange rates automatically update from the web.

I was wondering if Excel has anything like that?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One thing I wanted to add was that if you use Google Sheets, you can have the USD/EUR/GBP exchange rates automatically update from the web.

I was wondering if Excel has anything like that?
Interesting. I never thought of pulling up to date data from the web. I’ve never looked.

Thanks for your feedback. I’d forgotten I’d removed duplicates. I hadn’t set out to show that, it was just part of what I needed to do. It’s something I haven’t quite figured out ... do just I pick one goal for a video and then do my thing with a running commentary?

gloriusubiquity

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jul 1, 2019
Thanks for your feedback. I’d forgotten I’d removed duplicates. I hadn’t set out to show that, it was just part of what I needed to do. It’s something I haven’t quite figured out ... do just I pick one goal for a video and then do my thing with a running commentary?

No problem!

Yes, I think just picking one goal (maybe make it complicated) and going about how you would normally do things as if you were setting it up for the first time would be very beneficial. Afterwords you can go over the video and write down what you went over (dragging down the bottom right of the column to copy the formula, CTRL+SHIFT+down arrow, etc.)

It would make someone like me who is more familiar with Excel learn things more quickly and stay more engaged.

An interesting idea is to be a "productivity coach" where you look at someone use Excel for the first time with a goal in mind and give them tips/tricks on how to make their life easier (which is for example, how I learned about the "removing duplicates")

I think I read about that in "The Ultimate Sales Machine" by Chet Holmes where he says you should have a "technology expert" shadow you when you're doing things normally and they can give you shortcuts/tricks to make things faster. (pages 34-36)

richxiaohe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 21, 2019
I use excel everyday, from data scratch to write vba code to manage my excel project. but I think 90 percent of the users won't use these functions. if you focus on the advanced features of excel, it would lose the scale. most of them use fundamental functions but every one use excel is glad to know one or more tips and tricks, these tips can be used widely in almost each work. So I have thought about another form about "course" which I think is more efficiency, roll up the tip into a small online video.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm a bit behind where I wanted to be on this:
  1. I had a head cold for the past week or so and didn't want to record me coughing and sniffing.
  2. I wanted to focus on client work for a bit.

While sitting down to analyse an account this evening I thought I might as well record myself.

I dropped the video here:

I didn't bother editing this video so it's not really taken me any time to do as I was doing this work anyway. All I did was upload to YouTube and then add a quick thumbnail. Ha... I can't even be bothered writing a description or adding tags to the video.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Tomsy

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 9, 2020
Electronic computer driving licence or ECDL is a good course goes through all of the Microsoft office softwares.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
Hey Mr. Black. Cool idea.

I run a pressure washing business and use excel to track income, expenses, etc. it's sort of a pain to just figure out simple things like how to make all of the income cells to add up to the total at the end of the row. I think, most people who would buy a course like this is someone very unfamiliar with excel and is just trying to do basic things like my example. (I could be wrong)

One thing I think could be cool that's sort of up this alley is the idea of selling tutorial videos to companies on how to use their software.

Quick example: before I quit my day job, I worked at a company called Fastenal which sold construction and industrial supplies. THE HARDEST THING ABOUT THIS JOB WAS USING THE COMPUTER SYSTEM. We called it the POS. basically when we have a customer we hop on there to invoice, if they were picking something up at another branch we would transfer the items over to that branch etc. I got roasted so many times because the system took months to just comfortable using it. If you could somehow get in with these companies, create a quick tutorial to give the basics of the system and sell it to the company for them to use on new employees I think it would be beneficial.

Making it a video where new employees can still come back to it every time they forgot how to do something, rather than me constantly having to call my manager on the phone when he was out of the office to ask him how to do something.

Just an idea. Hope it helps.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I joined a large “Excel Tips & Tricks” Facebook group last night to see what folks are stuck on and helping each other with.

I’m auto-accepted into the group (not a good sign).

The first post I see in my feed this morning is: “What’s a pivot-table?”.

See ya. I’m outta here.

This is another reason why “sales is a screening process”. Slap a price on it so you screen out people you don’t want to share the same air with.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One thing I think could be cool that's sort of up this alley is the idea of selling tutorial videos to companies on how to use their software.

Quick example: before I quit my day job, I worked at a company called Fastenal which sold construction and industrial supplies. THE HARDEST THING ABOUT THIS JOB WAS USING THE COMPUTER SYSTEM. We called it the POS. basically when we have a customer we hop on there to invoice, if they were picking something up at another branch we would transfer the items over to that branch etc. I got roasted so many times because the system took months to just comfortable using it. If you could somehow get in with these companies, create a quick tutorial to give the basics of the system and sell it to the company for them to use on new employees I think it would be beneficial.

Making it a video where new employees can still come back to it every time they forgot how to do something, rather than me constantly having to call my manager on the phone when he was out of the office to ask him how to do something.

Just an idea. Hope it helps.
I forgot to reply to this great comment.

It hasn’t escaped me that the feedback for my Google Ads course and other videos and content has been that it’s no fluff and helpful.

For years people have said I’ve a knack of simplifying or explaining things. Maybe I’m onto something with the way I teach?

This is why I’ve not outsourced any course creation at the moment - because I’m trying to figure out what exactly I’m doing right, how to make it repeatable, and the process/blueprint that other people can follow to create similar courses. If I can achieve that then why not expand out to other subjects that I know nothing about?

The Jumpstart Series anyone?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.