The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Analysing data in Excel using simple text manipulation & pivot-tables

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Andy Black

Making a nuisance of himself on Twitter
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thought I'd record me doing a bit of work this evening...

What's your main takeaway?

What might you do different going forward?

Any queries let me know!

View: https://youtu.be/euzL9BbKlfM

Charnell

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
As an over the shoulder it's fascinating because I genuinely enjoy working in Excel.

But the first 5 or so minutes was formating the date to be easier to read which is a fantastic video in and of itself, however, if I click over wanting to learn about pivot tables and have to wait through that I'm out.

BizyDad

I used to be a banker but I lost interest...
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I don't know which blew my mind more, the video or @Charnell having a new pic. :rofl:

Jokes aside, great video. Need to jump in and play to see what I can gleen from pivot tables. Thanks for giving me a starting point.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yeah, it’s not quite the right title for the video @Charnell. I didn’t know what title to give it so the thumbnail was readable.

Or maybe I should have explained that your reports are only going to be as good as the base data they read. Hmmm... maybe I record an intro section explaining what I’m going to do and why?

I even decided not to create an intro slide with a title on (like I did for the first video on this channel) - because I want to be able to change the title and thumbnail as I see fit.

Curious what you guys would name the video?

Charnell

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Curious what you guys would name the video?
"Excel Expert Quickly Formats Google Ads Data Into Something Readable" and include timestamps as to what you're doing at each section of the video. It seemed to me there were 3 sections: the date formating, creating the pivot table, then manipulating it.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Excel Expert Quickly Formats Google Ads Data Into Something Readable" and include timestamps as to what you're doing at each section of the video. It seemed to me there were 3 sections: the date formating, creating the pivot table, then manipulating it.
Cool.

I changed the thread and video title from:
  • Excel Pivot-Table Example (using Google Ads data)
to
  • Analysing data in Excel using simple text manipulation & pivot-tables

The Google Ads part is irrelevant I think.

jdm667

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Years ago, I used PivotTables all the time at work - awesome refresher, thanks Andy!

I think a lot of people struggle with Vlookups when they get started with Excel, so a link to another video on how they work could be helpful for newbies.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Great post here from @themarkboogie He only started learning code in Jan of this year also...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This month's promo code is MINDCONTROL Those who are subscribed to my new Youtube channel will...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom