The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
The idea was to get the page showing up for searches such as:
"livestock haulers" - 720/mo
"livestock transportation" - 1300/mo
"cattle transportation" - 480/mo
"cattle hauling" - 1000/mo
"goat transport" - 320/mo
(data from keywords everywhere)

The goal would be for the page to capture a lot of different keywords and bring them to the landing page. Even with 10 keywords bringing in 100/mo, that's 1000 visits/month just for one category on my site.

This might not be the best way to go upon this, what would be a better strategy for a site like this? (online marketplace)

Why not just focus on these keywords then?? Anything below 100/mo unless is very transactional keyword is usually a waste of time. You have much bigger fish to fry. I didn't search all of the ones you mention but 'livestock haulers" shows in Ahrefs (not sure where you are getting your data from) is a KD of 1 and 100/mo search volume. That's easy to get ranking for.

ahrefs is showing 'livestock network' as the parent topic for this. Not sure if it's the same, but gets 2.3k/mo and is only a 2 in KD.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 12, 2019
Why not just focus on these keywords then?? Anything below 100/mo unless is very transactional keyword is usually a waste of time. You have much bigger fish to fry. I didn't search all of the ones you mention but 'livestock haulers" shows in Ahrefs (not sure where you are getting your data from) is a KD of 1 and 100/mo search volume. That's easy to get ranking for.

ahrefs is showing 'livestock network' as the parent topic for this. Not sure if it's the same, but gets 2.3k/mo and is only a 2 in KD.
Isn't that what I'm am doing already? I have these keywords in the titles and throughout the page in various different forms (livestock transporter, livestock hauler, etc.). Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

As mentioned in the previous post the data is coming from Keywords Everywhere. Can't afford ahrefs.

Livestock Network is a popular website for posting livestock hauling loads, so that's what the people using that keyword are searching for.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Isn't that what I'm am doing already? I have these keywords in the titles and throughout the page in various different forms (livestock transporter, livestock hauler, etc.). Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

As mentioned in the previous post the data is coming from Keywords Everywhere. Can't afford ahrefs.

Livestock Network is a popular website for posting livestock hauling loads, so that's what the people using that keyword are searching for.

Sorry I didn't see that mention of using keywords everwhere.

'Livestock Transportation Services' is the H1 and the URL slug this is the primary item you are a hint to Google you want to rank for. You should change the content to be 'livestock network' and make the URL to be as such.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 12, 2019
Sorry I didn't see that mention of using keywords everwhere.

'Livestock Transportation Services' is the H1 and the URL slug this is the primary item you are a hint to Google you want to rank for. You should change the content to be 'livestock network' and make the URL to be as such.
What would this achieve though?

People searching "Livestock Network" are solely searching for a popular website called livestocknetwork.com, as I mentioned before. Let's say I am able to rank #1 for "Livestock Network", why would click my link? They don't want my website, they want LivestockNetwork.com.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
What would this achieve though?

People searching "Livestock Network" are solely searching for a popular website called livestocknetwork.com, as I mentioned before. Let's say I am able to rank #1 for "Livestock Network", why would click my link? They don't want my website, they want LivestockNetwork.com.

I would test it by paid ads. Make it an alternative to their service.

You would know better than me as is that considered a term in your industry or a branded term. It sounds generic to me.

Either way, the existing keyword shouldn't be used since there's no volume.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 12, 2019
I would test it by paid ads. Make it an alternative to their service.

You would know better than me as is that considered a term in your industry or a branded term. It sounds generic to me.

Either way, the existing keyword shouldn't be used since there's no volume.
I see what you mean. It's actually not a term at all. It is solely referring to a company/website and has no other meaning outside of that.

So let's say I have two keywords:
  1. livestock transportation services - 110/mo
  2. livestock transportation - 1300/mo
If my page is titled "Livestock Transportation Services" because that is a better description of what my page is about, but I'm intending to rank for "livestock transportation", does this mean I won't rank for "livestock transportation" unless I title my page to the exact keyword? I was under the impression that using the keyword in the title (especially as the majority of the title) would be sufficient to rank for the keyword.

For example, the first result for "Livestock Transportation" in Google (not the snippet), is titled:
"Livestock Transportation Companies Compete for Your..."

Clearly they aren't using the exact title of "Livestock Transportation," what makes my "Livestock Transportation Services" a bad title to use? Why can't I rank well for "Livestock Transportation" with my current title?

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I see what you mean. It's actually not a term at all. It is solely referring to a company/website and has no other meaning outside of that.

So let's say I have two keywords:
  1. livestock transportation services - 110/mo
  2. livestock transportation - 1300/mo
If my page is titled "Livestock Transportation Services" because that is a better description of what my page is about, but I'm intending to rank for "livestock transportation", does this mean I won't rank for "livestock transportation" unless I title my page to the exact keyword? I was under the impression that using the keyword in the title (especially as the majority of the title) would be sufficient to rank for the keyword.

Google is much smarter than having rank directly for the same keywords listed in the <h1> tag. There are cases in which an article ranks for a keyword yet it's not mentioned. Google knows this keyword is related to the keyword used in your content as a synonym.

It's two issues you are dealing with:
  • User Intent - Is one of these two keywords yield more intent (since that is the ultimate objective - visitors taking action)
  • How Google Interprets the keywords.
With BERT update now especially, intent matters more than ever. So out of these two keywords, I don't know for a fact but I don't think 'livestock transportation services' and 'livestock transportation' are much different in intent.

If the intent is the same, the question is if one gets 1300 when compared to 110 (assuming KD is the same) you are best to get the 1300/mo volume.

To answer your other question you more than likely will also rank for 'livestock transportation services' as well with just 'livestock transportation'. Typically longer tailed keywords are not only lower volume but also less KD.

I would look very closely on the search results to see how different they are and what ranks for them. Search leaves clues and you should be using search to determine what Google thinks is important for ranking.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
Google is much smarter than having rank directly for the same keywords listed in the <h1> tag. There are cases in which an article ranks for a keyword yet it's not mentioned. Google knows this keyword is related to the keyword used in your content as a synonym.

It's two issues you are dealing with:
  • User Intent - Is one of these two keywords yield more intent (since that is the ultimate objective - visitors taking action)
  • How Google Interprets the keywords.
With BERT update now especially, intent matters more than ever. So out of these two keywords, I don't know for a fact but I don't think 'livestock transportation services' and 'livestock transportation' are much different in intent.

If the intent is the same, the question is if one gets 1300 when compared to 110 (assuming KD is the same) you are best to get the 1300/mo volume.

To answer your other question you more than likely will also rank for 'livestock transportation services' as well with just 'livestock transportation'. Typically longer tailed keywords are not only lower volume but also less KD.

I would look very closely on the search results to see how different they are and what ranks for them. Search leaves clues and you should be using search to determine what Google thinks is important for ranking.

Awesome info, thanks for doing this!
I also use ahrefs, how much do you trust ahrefs data? Especialy for KD I Dont trust them at all.
For exampe the keyword „hairloss treatment man“ (in German) has a KD of 2 when there are Huge authority sites in the serps.

Regarding volume:
What do you think of the google autosuggest keyword research?
When google autosuggest clearly there has to be decent volume.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Awesome info, thanks for doing this!
I also use ahrefs, how much do you trust ahrefs data? Especialy for KD I Dont trust them at all.
For exampe the keyword „hairloss treatment man“ (in German) has a KD of 2 when there are Huge authority sites in the serps.

Regarding volume:
What do you think of the google autosuggest keyword research?
When google autosuggest clearly there has to be decent volume.

While not perfect, I do trust compared to other sources. Though recently don't have other sources to compare against.

Yes to Google autosuggest. Google leaves many clues and is a great source to do research.

DavidTT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Aug 3, 2016
Is my website growing at a normal rate or a bit slower that it should? Here are a few snapshots of my search console. This is in the past 16 month;

Attachments

• screenshot123.png
    screenshot123.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 26

Datingafter35

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Feb 2, 2016
Forex is a spammy niche with blackhat SEO techniques. In order to compete in this space you may have no choice but to do black hat techniques. OR hope Google eventually figures out the competing sites are playing this game.

If you aren't selling anything, then what is your end game?

I would determine what keywords your article currently rank for and figure out how to improve those rankings. If it's highly competitive keywords you have no choice but to get backlinks.

I have a book, a course and a 3rd party breakout indicator cum scanner. Cannot sell because I'm not making money consistently. Just blogging my progress.

I would like to know if its better to rank if blogging platform is in main domain like website.com rather than website.com/blog. I'm asking this because most SEO keyword tool don't seem to track my keywords when I put my WordPress in website.com/blog. I use yoast to help with the robot.txt.
Would you be able to answer this question?

Silver shadow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 4, 2017
Nigeria
What's the best way to do negative seo for a competitor who is scraping all my content and outranking me? I need clear action steps for this.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Is my website growing at a normal rate or a bit slower that it should? Here are a few snapshots of my search console. This is in the past 16 month;

This is the wrong question to be asking.

In the end what matters is relevancy, not just pure eyeballs. It does you no good if you get 100,000/mo in traffic and that audience is the right audience for your product.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I have a book, a course and a 3rd party breakout indicator cum scanner. Cannot sell because I'm not making money consistently. Just blogging my progress.

I would like to know if its better to rank if blogging platform is in main domain like website.com rather than website.com/blog. I'm asking this because most SEO keyword tool don't seem to track my keywords when I put my WordPress in website.com/blog. I use yoast to help with the robot.txt.
Would you be able to answer this question?

As for your article slugs? without /blog/ it should be /article-name/

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
What's the best way to do negative seo for a competitor who is scraping all my content and outranking me? I need clear action steps for this.

I wouldn't recommend negative SEO.

It more than likely won't work today. If you are able to get it to work the effects will only be temporary. Either Google figures it out or the site blocks the links.

If someone is stealing your content I would do a DMCA to their hosting provider, and report to Google spamming content.

Also if they are scrapping it are they doing it via RSS? If so your RSS feed should be a summary not full and also could put a link to your source page.

Also usually pages rank higher because of lack of a date that Google can't determine which came first.

Lastly, I would update your content not only because of Google like newer content but also makes the content different than what they copied.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
I recently Wrote a Blog Post from scratch and got it ranking on the First Page within a day for keywords.
Now I checked and it looks like the post got deindexed from google. I cant even find it with site:domain.com.
I did not use any spammy blackhat stuff at all and wrote about 1500 words of unique content. Any idea ?

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I recently Wrote a Blog Post from scratch and got it ranking on the First Page within a day for keywords.
Now I checked and it looks like the post got deindexed from google. I cant even find it with site:domain.com.
I did not use any spammy blackhat stuff at all and wrote about 1500 words of unique content. Any idea ?

Not showing up in SERP? Submit it via Google Console. Check to make sure you are not 'noindex'ing the page.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
Not showing up in SERP? Submit it via Google Console. Check to make sure you are not 'noindex'ing the page.

I Already had it submitted and ranking on the first page. Now I cant even find it when I type in „site:mydomain.de myarticle name“.
Like idk it looks like google deindexed.
Btw Google rolled out a core algo update today so maybe it has to do with that?

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
I Already had it submitted and ranking on the first page. Now I cant even find it when I type in „site:mydomain.de myarticle name“.

search console says its indexed without any errors:jawdrop:

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio

It's common for new content to fluctuate wildly. Like @lludwig said, just wait.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
How would you go about setting up individual local networks, based on 1 site with duplicate content?

Ex:

main-site,com (contains the original content)
main-site,com/texas
main-site,com/california

The states are self contained "mini-sites" and don't connect to one another, or main.

The mini-sites copy the content from the main site.

Both main, and mini sites need to rank. But local sites should only rank locally.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
How would you go about setting up individual local networks, based on 1 site with duplicate content?

Ex:

main-site,com (contains the original content)
main-site,com/texas
main-site,com/california

The states are self contained "mini-sites" and don't connect to one another, or main.

The mini-sites copy the content from the main site.

Both main, and mini sites need to rank. But local sites should only rank locally.

Ideally, each section/site should have unique content. Doesn't matter if they are not connected. In fact I think you are missing out if you don't connect them all as that's how people search.

If you are trying to really make them separate sites either do a subdomain for each state, or different domains.

Otherwise, they should be connected and not just doorway pages. Google doesn't like doorway pages for SEO.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Ideally, each section/site should have unique content. Doesn't matter if they are not connected. In fact I think you are missing out if you don't connect them all as that's how people search.

If you are trying to really make them separate sites either do a subdomain for each state, or different domains.

Otherwise, they should be connected and not just doorway pages. Google doesn't like doorway pages for SEO.

Client restrictions on keeping them separate, but I'm pushing for unique content from them.

Not really meant as doorway pages as Google defines them (if I understand it correctly). User is supposed to land on the page, and get the information then and there. Then fill out a lead form. No funneling up or to some generic landing page.

Google is able to identify each location with proper keywords and rich snippets, so we're not getting multiple results in the SERPs.

The unique content part bugs me, b/c it's clear Google knows what's up. So they're not ranking well against local competitors.

Wish I could do multiple domains. To charge them separately for each one...

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Client restrictions on keeping them separate, but I'm pushing for unique content from them.

Not really meant as doorway pages as Google defines them (if I understand it correctly). User is supposed to land on the page, and get the information then and there. Then fill out a lead form. No funneling up or to some generic landing page.

Google is able to identify each location with proper keywords and rich snippets, so we're not getting multiple results in the SERPs.

The unique content part bugs me, b/c it's clear Google knows what's up. So they're not ranking well against local competitors.

Wish I could do multiple domains. To charge them separately for each one...

If the pages are missing navigation and other ways to navigate the site, Google considers them doorway pages and in almost all cases will not rank well.

It sounds from the way you mention it too transactional and the same content. All not good signs and sounds like you need to tell the client this.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
If the pages are missing navigation and other ways to navigate the site, Google considers them doorway pages and in almost all cases will not rank well.

It sounds from the way you mention it too transactional and the same content. All not good signs and sounds like you need to tell the client this.

Even if those mini sites have 20-30 pages each, with their own nav and self contained internal links?

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York

Please SEARCH before posting.