The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HabilKan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 5, 2018
Hi, I live in Jönköping, Sweden. I started my first company when I was 30 and had it for seven years. For the past five years I've been working as an employee and am doing fairly well as a project manager at an IT company. I have been married for 17 years and have three kids.

The past two years I did a masters in IT/BA on my spare time and now I'm itching to start building a new business. During the summer I've been reading a few books about entrepreneurship and making money, but havent read Unscripted or TMF yet. I REALLY dont like working 8 to 5 every day and using my skills, time and energy making money for someone else. I been programming since 2000 and have done SEO, internet marketing and data analytics since 2006 (on and off) so I know how to start and grow a business, but I have a responsibility towards my family. All rely on me to care of things.

I dont mind doing work on my spare time, but it is going to be difficult to run a B2C business and answer the phone while working at the IT company. Even a B2B business requires day time communication. Should I build some software and hope there will be buyers?

I know what I want to do, but the question is, is it too late for me to try moving over to the Fastlane?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
No. Now stop making excuses and get to work :D

Also, welcome to the forum.

Nothing you've described is a show stopper. You just need to put on your problem solving hat and come up with something that works.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Joe: I have cancer. If I don't find a cure, I'll die in less than a year.

Guy: I have the cure for sale for $100, do you want to buy it?

Joe: Meh, aren't you 47 years old? You're too old to sell me the cure, I'd rather die.

When you confront your bullshit, you discover it's exactly that, bullshit.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
If you think you are too old now you're going to feel even older in a couple of years if you don't do anything about it now.

This forum is a great resource and is great for the mindset too. :) Welcome.

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin
Ray Croc started Mc Donalds in his late 50 s . Coronel Sanders started Kentucky Fried Chicken, KFC in his mid sixties . Your just making excuses to your self . Get serious about it and you can succeed .

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Even a B2B business requires day time communication.
I'm on my personal phone at least a few times a day for random stuff - call from the wife, scheduling cable/doctor/etc., making a quick purchase.

Unless you're worried about an avalanche of business, then you can probably sneak away for a call, no? Just make sure you work the same net hours for your company - don't side-hustle while they're paying you (i.e., shorten your lunch, work later).

Is that possible?

Edit: Would it be weird if you had an iPad on your desk? An iPad with cellular service plus a Bluetooth keyboard would allow for some quick e-mails like "Hey, got your inquiry - call you at noon!".

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Should I build some software and hope there will be buyers?

"Build and hope" is never a good business plan. You should start by reading TMF .

The market doesn't care how old you are, if you have a college degree, have found your passion, or anything else about you. The market only cares about how well you serve the market.

HabilKan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 5, 2018
I'm on my personal phone at least a few times a day for random stuff - call from the wife, scheduling cable/doctor/etc., making a quick purchase.

Unless you're worried about an avalanche of business, then you can probably sneak away for a call, no? Just make sure you work the same net hours for your company - don't side-hustle while they're paying you (i.e., shorten your lunch, work later).

Is that possible?

Edit: Would it be weird if you had an iPad on your desk? An iPad with cellular service plus a Bluetooth keyboard would allow for some quick e-mails like "Hey, got your inquiry - call you at noon!".
That is absolutely doable!
:thumbsup:

Ivan2BAlive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 24, 2017
Louisville, KY
. . . . . . . During the summer I've been reading a few books about entrepreneurship and making money, but havent read Unscripted or TMF yet. I REALLY dont like working 8 to 5 every day and using my skills, time and energy making money for someone else.

First of all, welcome the the forum. Secondly, you need to read TMF and Unscripted . You say you don't like working 8 to 5 and you haven't read either books. Sounds like any oxymoron putting these two sentences together :smile2:.

Reading TMF and Unscripted will also keep you up to speed when talking on the forum.

Aunt Clyde

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 14, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hi, I live in Jönköping, Sweden. I started my first company when I was 30 and had it for seven years. For the past five years I've been working as an employee and am doing fairly well as a project manager at an IT company. I have been married for 17 years and have three kids.

The past two years I did a masters in IT/BA on my spare time and now I'm itching to start building a new business. During the summer I've been reading a few books about entrepreneurship and making money, but havent read Unscripted or TMF yet. I REALLY dont like working 8 to 5 every day and using my skills, time and energy making money for someone else. I been programming since 2000 and have done SEO, internet marketing and data analytics since 2006 (on and off) so I know how to start and grow a business, but I have a responsibility towards my family. All rely on me to care of things.

I dont mind doing work on my spare time, but it is going to be difficult to run a B2C business and answer the phone while working at the IT company. Even a B2B business requires day time communication. Should I build some software and hope there will be buyers?

I know what I want to do, but the question is, is it too late for me to try moving over to the Fastlane?

I feel the driveway as you sometimes about being "too old." From what I can tell so far I'm probably old enough to be people's mother here. But on the other hand I agree with what the members wrote to you. Perhaps you can think of your age as a positive factor in terms of your life experiences and wisdom gained. Good luck.

Aunt Clyde

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 14, 2018
Long Island, NY
I feel the driveway as you sometimes about being "too old." From what I can tell so far I'm probably old enough to be people's mother here. But on the other hand I agree with what the members wrote to you. Perhaps you can think of your age as a positive factor in terms of your life experiences and wisdom gained. Good luck.

Sorry. I meant to write that I feel the same way sometimes.

LTL

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 16, 2012

2fBpVqc.png

SebastianNZ

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jan 28, 2020
New Zealand
Joe: I have cancer. If I don't find a cure, I'll die in less than a year.

Guy: I have the cure for sale for $100, do you want to buy it?

Joe: Meh, aren't you 47 years old? You're too old to sell me the cure, I'd rather die.

When you confront your bullshit, you discover it's exactly that, bullshit.
Thanks MJ I needed to hear this. I'm 33, and that voice at the back of my head keeps saying I'm too old to change things and I must admit it was difficult to read how you were able to become a millionaire in your 20s. I think in reality it's jealousy and ego and BS. This post just drowned them all out!

knz

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Apr 6, 2020
You're never to old to make an impact.
Many of the richest people were nowhere in their 30's. Jeff Bezos and Jack Ma are great examples that started flourishing in their 30's.

You still have more than double your life to go and you have a lot more experience than when you were 1 year old.

Take the risk or lose the chance.
Go make it happen! :)

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
You are only too old if you think you are too old. It's just a number man.
Get your stuff going and you'll find out along the way.

Suwilanji

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 9, 2020
Lusaka, Zambia

''Whether you think you can, or you think you cant't – you're right''Henry Ford.
You are where u are today because of a process. what u are living is an event. i recommend u read MJ's Millionaire Fastlane it will truly help.

all the best!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...