The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Want to promote your design service or a YouTube channel? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote anything within the sphere of entrepreneurship on one thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

INTRO Am I too old for the Fastlane?

HabilKan

New Contributor
May 5, 2018
Hi, I live in Jönköping, Sweden. I started my first company when I was 30 and had it for seven years. For the past five years I've been working as an employee and am doing fairly well as a project manager at an IT company. I have been married for 17 years and have three kids.

The past two years I did a masters in IT/BA on my spare time and now I'm itching to start building a new business. During the summer I've been reading a few books about entrepreneurship and making money, but havent read Unscripted or TMF yet. I REALLY dont like working 8 to 5 every day and using my skills, time and energy making money for someone else. I been programming since 2000 and have done SEO, internet marketing and data analytics since 2006 (on and off) so I know how to start and grow a business, but I have a responsibility towards my family. All rely on me to care of things.

I dont mind doing work on my spare time, but it is going to be difficult to run a B2C business and answer the phone while working at the IT company. Even a B2B business requires day time communication. Should I build some software and hope there will be buyers?

I know what I want to do, but the question is, is it too late for me to try moving over to the Fastlane?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

lowtek

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
No. Now stop making excuses and get to work :D

Also, welcome to the forum.

Nothing you've described is a show stopper. You just need to put on your problem solving hat and come up with something that works.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Joe: I have cancer. If I don't find a cure, I'll die in less than a year.

Guy: I have the cure for sale for $100, do you want to buy it?

Joe: Meh, aren't you 47 years old? You're too old to sell me the cure, I'd rather die.

When you confront your bullshit, you discover it's exactly that, bullshit.

ProblemOd

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
I don't think you want to look back when your 5 years older and ask this same question again....so do you really have a choice :)?

Zcott

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2018
If you think you are too old now you're going to feel even older in a couple of years if you don't do anything about it now.

This forum is a great resource and is great for the mindset too. :) Welcome.

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin
Ray Croc started Mc Donalds in his late 50 s . Coronel Sanders started Kentucky Fried Chicken, KFC in his mid sixties . Your just making excuses to your self . Get serious about it and you can succeed .

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Even a B2B business requires day time communication.
I'm on my personal phone at least a few times a day for random stuff - call from the wife, scheduling cable/doctor/etc., making a quick purchase.

Unless you're worried about an avalanche of business, then you can probably sneak away for a call, no? Just make sure you work the same net hours for your company - don't side-hustle while they're paying you (i.e., shorten your lunch, work later).

Is that possible?

Edit: Would it be weird if you had an iPad on your desk? An iPad with cellular service plus a Bluetooth keyboard would allow for some quick e-mails like "Hey, got your inquiry - call you at noon!".

loop101

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2013
Should I build some software and hope there will be buyers?
"Build and hope" is never a good business plan. You should start by reading TMF.

The market doesn't care how old you are, if you have a college degree, have found your passion, or anything else about you. The market only cares about how well you serve the market.

OP
OP
H

HabilKan

New Contributor
May 5, 2018
I'm on my personal phone at least a few times a day for random stuff - call from the wife, scheduling cable/doctor/etc., making a quick purchase.

Unless you're worried about an avalanche of business, then you can probably sneak away for a call, no? Just make sure you work the same net hours for your company - don't side-hustle while they're paying you (i.e., shorten your lunch, work later).

Is that possible?

Edit: Would it be weird if you had an iPad on your desk? An iPad with cellular service plus a Bluetooth keyboard would allow for some quick e-mails like "Hey, got your inquiry - call you at noon!".
That is absolutely doable!
:thumbsup:

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Ivan M.

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 24, 2017
California
. . . . . . . During the summer I've been reading a few books about entrepreneurship and making money, but havent read Unscripted or TMF yet. I REALLY dont like working 8 to 5 every day and using my skills, time and energy making money for someone else.
First of all, welcome the the forum. Secondly, you need to read TMF and Unscripted. You say you don't like working 8 to 5 and you haven't read either books. Sounds like any oxymoron putting these two sentences together :smile2:.

Reading TMF and Unscripted will also keep you up to speed when talking on the forum.

craig1928

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
That time will pass in anyways, might as well do something with it.

Aunt Clyde

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 14, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hi, I live in Jönköping, Sweden. I started my first company when I was 30 and had it for seven years. For the past five years I've been working as an employee and am doing fairly well as a project manager at an IT company. I have been married for 17 years and have three kids.

The past two years I did a masters in IT/BA on my spare time and now I'm itching to start building a new business. During the summer I've been reading a few books about entrepreneurship and making money, but havent read Unscripted or TMF yet. I REALLY dont like working 8 to 5 every day and using my skills, time and energy making money for someone else. I been programming since 2000 and have done SEO, internet marketing and data analytics since 2006 (on and off) so I know how to start and grow a business, but I have a responsibility towards my family. All rely on me to care of things.

I dont mind doing work on my spare time, but it is going to be difficult to run a B2C business and answer the phone while working at the IT company. Even a B2B business requires day time communication. Should I build some software and hope there will be buyers?

I know what I want to do, but the question is, is it too late for me to try moving over to the Fastlane?
I feel the driveway as you sometimes about being "too old." From what I can tell so far I'm probably old enough to be people's mother here. But on the other hand I agree with what the members wrote to you. Perhaps you can think of your age as a positive factor in terms of your life experiences and wisdom gained. Good luck.

Aunt Clyde

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 14, 2018
Long Island, NY
I feel the driveway as you sometimes about being "too old." From what I can tell so far I'm probably old enough to be people's mother here. But on the other hand I agree with what the members wrote to you. Perhaps you can think of your age as a positive factor in terms of your life experiences and wisdom gained. Good luck.
Sorry. I meant to write that I feel the same way sometimes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom