• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

INTRO Never too old to get started right?

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by RobD88, Jan 29, 2018.

1. RobD88

RobD88 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,575
    So here I am, 47 years old and all cushy, comfy with a six figure salary (JOB), nice house (MORTGAGE), two cars (CAR PAYMENTS), two kids about to go to college (TUITION), sorely lacking in savings (VICTIM OF THE COMPOUNDING INTEREST SCAM & CONSUMERISM), and scared to death I’ll be serving INDENTURED TIME until I’m old and gray (47 is not old).

A degreed professional, I've been in purchasing, sourcing, supply chain and logistics for the better part of twenty years. And yes, I've been treading in the slow lane for far too long. I've let my dreams slip past me and my entrepreneurial spirit become not but an ember.

I’ve been an action faker and entrepreneur pretender in the past. As I’m reading through Unscripted for the second time I feel like MJ is talking about me as if he’s been watching me for year ala The Truman Show watching me buy business cards on vista print and buy domain names without ever doing anything with them or nearly spend $50K on a real estate investment program.

I am at a point in my life where not only am I ready I finally feel confident enough to be an entrepreneur. I see examples of successful small businesses every day in my job. I source from companies I could have started and buy products I could have come up with and see brands being developed that I could develop better all the time. The one thing they did that I didn't...take action.

So now I have a plan that involves three big steps with a lot of little steps in between that will lead to my ultimate escape from indentured time. I hope to learn from the people in the forum as well as give back and hopefully provide value.

Time to stoke the ember into a roaring flame!

2. dbjennings

dbjennings Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $162
    Your story is eerily similar to mine. I'm following this thread and rooting for your success.

3. David Young

David Young Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $881
    Welcome, very similar story here as well.

Greg van Doorn, cmor16 and RobD88 like this.
  4. robodale

robodale Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $249
    Welcome to the forum @RobD88. 44 years old here, so your post caught my attention. It sounds like you have some killer domain knowledge...anything it takes to move yourself forward. Definitely following this thread!

5. Iammelissamoore

Iammelissamoore Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,691
    Nope, it is never too old, the first important thing is recognising right where you are, once you have a sound mind and you can actively make changes, that is the first step in getting ahead.

I will admit that it's great that MJs books at the time it came out can help young people get ahead with entrepreneurship BUT, this goes for everyone, regardless of age.

While it may be known as the fastlane, surely we recognise it doesn't mean overnight success, but, it means we are all equipped with the powerful knowledge for building successful businesses and genuine contributions within a timely manner, which also gives us the opportunity to Actually live and enjoy it.

I know its easy to wonder why we didn't know the information earlier in our lives and while that would have been cool, look at it as like the time we came across the knowledge was/is the right time for us to get active. Now is the time to build your greatness!

Ninjakid, MJ DeMarco, Sheps and 3 others like this.
  6. RobD88

RobD88 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,575
    Thanks for all the kind words and support!

Vigilante and Iammelissamoore like this.
  7. Rockford

Rockford Burpee Enthusiast Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $558
    I'll be 47 in March and I have a similar history, albeit in a different line of work. Watching this thread so I can follow your journey. Welcome to the forum!

8. cmor16

cmor16 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,795
    You are not alone. There are a number of us 40+'s here that are just getting started on our entrepreneurial journeys. Like you, I have a successful and comfortable (ick) career but the amount of time traded for that comfort is unjustifiable. As long as you stay true to what you want, your "Why?", you will succeed.

Welcome and good luck, or should I say, hard work, to you.

Bellini, Vigilante, RobD88 and 2 others like this.
  9. Greg van Doorn

Greg van Doorn New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $120
    It's never about age, it's about " horsepower " are you fit enough ? are you hungry enough ? It seems so ;)
    I am 48 years old and in the middle of building my own affiliate marketing company after being a slowlaner far too long.. May the force be with you ! ;)

Bellini, MiaMills, Sheps and 3 others like this.
  10. Daniel...D

Daniel...D Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $196
    Welcome to the forum

RobD88 likes this.
  11. RobD88

Rep Bank:
    $2,575
    Weird to think that "comfortable" can be icky but it is. I am so eager to be in control of my own destiny even though it will put me out of my comfort zone. We grow up being taught to build a comfortable life yet it's discomfort that makes us change our habits for the better.

Rockford and cmor16 like this.
  12. RobD88

Rep Bank:
    $2,575
    So I have to say I'm pretty excited. I started building my first website last night and learning the software program & hosting site that publishes it. I have a business concept that will allow me to give back to children within a large global community.

I was able to put a solid rough draft together and put it out there to see and play with to understand the user interface and get some feedback from some family and friends. It's a small step but a positive step forward and true action vs. action faking.

One small step for man. One giant leap.....

13. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $47,920
    You've got age, but you've also got experience.

You're not starting from scratch, like the 20-somethings here are.

Leveraging your prior work experience and make something of your own.

SeanP, Get Right, Sheps and 6 others like this.
  14. RobD88

Rep Bank:
    $2,575

Great point! Thanks.

Sheps and Vigilante like this.
  15. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $47,920
    I'm reading a book called The E-myth right now, I think you'd really enjoy it.

The book talks about making sure you become an entrepreneur, not just a technician who eliminates their boss, but creates a job for themselves.

16. RobD88

Rep Bank:
    $2,575

Actually already read it. I didn't like it much. This was my review on Amazon:

"I’m all for tried and true business philosophy but the advice in this book is a bit outdated. The basic concepts are okay but the advised application doesn’t fit today’s world. The author spouts delivering value before anything and I agree. What he doesn’t get is the mindset of today’s consumer. He offers advice as if we still live in a print and TV driven advertising age. The digital world we live in has completely changed today’s consumer and purchasing mindset.
    Again…underlying principles are okay but delivery is suspect."

KLaw, MJ DeMarco, Sheps and 3 others like this.
  17. amp0193

Rep Bank:
    $47,920
    Nice. Yeah, I'm 1/3 of the way through, so the jury's still out.

The underlying principles are solid so far, but the book is wordy and pedantic, and it's basically one big sales pitch for his consulting business.

I haven't felt so far that any of the advice has been outdated. Maybe I'll get there.

18. ErikGladiator85

ErikGladiator85 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $177
    never-too-late-when-companies-started-infographic.png

19. Bdenner64

Bdenner64 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,239
    Never too old...

Bellini, RobD88, Sheps and 1 other person like this.
  20. KingChuck211

KingChuck211 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $187
    You are never too old!! I wish you all the best! You can do it!!!

RobD88 and Greg van Doorn like this.
  21. RobD88

Rep Bank:
    $2,575
    So momentum continued last night. Worked on some operational issues and did some market research. Decided I needed to start tracking my time & financials and created an Excel workbook to load all of my monthly information into that will show me time, income/revenue, expenses, net results, etc.

I feel having a visual representation of progress or lack thereof will help me parse out the macro actions that I need to keep moving forward.

ErikGladiator85 likes this.
  22. ErikGladiator85

ErikGladiator85 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $177
    @RobD88 I can recommend The Book "The 4-Hour Workweek" by Timothy Ferris for further Information on "Time Management" and filtering the Macro-Tasks to avoid "action-faking" and Running on the Mill of Useless Micro-Tasks. Even if your goal is not to work 4 hours a week for now (which it shouldn't be right now - gain traction first i would recommend), and even if the book is really looked down upon, it is a tremendously helpful read.

If you want to cut corners here, read a summary like this or google "Pareto Principle" and "Parkinson's Law". They will make your Work more effective in a shorter amount of Time.

Also, i can recommend this thread. (@LightHouse)

A visual representation of your progress is a great idea. Remind yourself to look at it if you dip into a psychological downtime - it also helped me to exit mine quite a bit.

Best of Luck,

Erik

RobD88 likes this.
  23. Patrick Besong

Patrick Besong New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $87
    my advice would be to just get started. you'll find your way from there. build up the side biz till you know you'll be able to handle your debts without the day job.

Greg van Doorn and RobD88 like this.
  24. thecocopod

thecocopod Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $160
    I'm 52 and just started with MJ a few years ago. My life has changed. I'm still working, but now I work as a freelancer so I make three times what I used to. It takes a bit longer when we get older, but I'm doing it. Lots of money. Developing a few inventions. Welcome to our group! You can do it!

25. RobD88

Rep Bank:
    $2,575
    @thecocopod Thanks for the insight and encouragement. Both of MJ's book had an astounding impact on my perception of life as well. As I have my blinker on to change lanes from slow to fast I'm really starting to figure things out and realize it's not as hard as I thought to start a business and move forward.

MJ DeMarco and thecocopod like this.