The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Alex Hormozi. What is your opinion? Mine is (mostly) negative.

Guru

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
To be fair, he is very upfront about that in the book and clearly states that is his exact purpose: to give a lot of good content for free and help you grow to a level where he can jump in.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Here’s the big question we probably should be asking…

Why are so many people in this thread angered by, annoyed by, or trying to justify the actions of a guy selling something? Does selling something really need justification? Is selling something wrong? If people are getting value out of his book and his business in excess of what they are spending on them, the choice to buy enriched their lives.

Selling valuable stuff is a core function of good entrepreneurship.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Here’s the big question we probably should be asking…

Why are so many people in this thread angered by, annoyed by or trying to justify the actions of a guy selling something? Does selling something really need justification? Is selling something wrong? If people are getting value out of his book and his business in excess of what they are spending on them, the choice to buy enriched their lives.

Selling valuable stuff is a core function of good entrepreneurship.

To sidewalkers, selling is evil.

Can't tell you how many sales people I've met who hate salespeople.

So in part, they hate themselves. The only thing they can do is lash out.

I've made the same mistake in the past.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why are so many people in this thread angered by, annoyed by, or trying to justify the actions of a guy selling something?

I think you missed the point.

He claims he isn't selling anything.

But after peeling the onion back, he is indeed selling something.

And it's quite a large sell, to invite him into your company so he can take part in the scaling process, and hopefully, a large exit event.

For some, this strikes them as duplicitous and gives off a scumbag marketer vibe. You claim you aren't selling something, but you are.

That said, if he does indeed mention this in his book (which I haven't read) then it might come across as contradictory to some, which is my guess for the OP's original post.

This "I'm not selling anything but I am" is likely why some folks are feeling the wrong vibe.

Moreover, it is indeed impressive that people are being subjected to a marketing funnel, and don't even know it.

So clearly the guy knows what he's doing, and based on the responses in this thread, he's doing it quite phenomenally.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
What's also kinda funny here is people have no idea the cost of "free content".

To have as many videos as Hormozi does, all well edited, optimized for the platform etc - takes a LOT of cash.

Usually these guys have like 15-20 fulltime staff just to manage content.

Kinda like the forum here - 1,000s of unseen hours every year to keep it spam-free and on point.

But... we should all expect totally free content with absolutely no payoff or ROI to the person who made it.

@Kak and @Kung Fu Steve with great points above - this is often a reflection of a person's own sales issues.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
What's also kinda funny here is people have no idea the cost of "free content".

To have as many videos as Hormozi does, all well edited, optimized for the platform etc - takes a LOT of cash.

Usually these guys have like 15-20 fulltime staff just to manage content.

Kinda like the forum here - 1,000s of unseen hours every year to keep it spam-free and on point.

But... we should all expect totally free content with absolutely no payoff or ROI to the person who made it.

@Kak and @Kung Fu Steve with great points above - this is often a reflection of a person's own sales issues.

He mentioned in a couple of his videos Leila and him each have the same agency and they pay 20-40k per month EACH for all of these videos, editing, posting, etc.

... gotta "not sell" a LOT of 99 cent books to make up for that... :rofl:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I think you missed the point.

He claims he isn't selling anything.

But after peeling the onion back, he is indeed selling something.

And it's quite a large sell, to invite him into your company so he can take part in the scaling process, and hopefully, a large exit event.

For some, this strikes them as duplicitous and gives off a scumbag marketer vibe. You claim you aren't selling something, but you are.

That said, if he does indeed mention this in his book (which I haven't read) then it might come across as contradictory to some, which is my guess for the OP's original post.

This "I'm not selling anything but I am" is likely why some folks are feeling the wrong vibe.

Moreover, it is indeed impressive that people are being subjected to a marketing funnel, and don't even know it.

So clearly the guy knows what he's doing, and based on the responses in this thread, he's doing it quite phenomenally.

Ya true, for sure he is selling us all big time in the long run.

I knew this was coming from day one with Hormozi though cause I seen it happen before with Andy Frisella.

In Andy's early podcasts he would always strongly emphasis "I will never sell you anything".

Since then... an app, a book, speaking fees, speaking events, a mastermind, mastermind events, merc etc.
But that podcast is still add-free guys ;)

These guys are just clever enough to see that the bigger money is to be made without going for the sale right away.

It did annoy me with Andy before but I just let it go - I guess that is just the game. These guys provide a ton of free value and at the end of the day we don't have to buy unless we want to.

I guess the "nothing to sell you" is to get people's guard down long enough to get their foot in the door.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
These guys are just clever enough to see that the bigger money is to be made without going for the sale right away.

Yes, it is all about building a loyal audience. Once that feat is done, you can push them anything and the sales friction is virtually nothing.

I don't have a bone to pick with him one way or the other, just pointing out the obvious -- which I'm quite shocked wasn't obvious to some here.

The standard, tried-and-true strategy in marketing funnels is to create loyal audiences so you can hit them with the HUGE UPSELL down the road, which is usually a $10K coaching program, and $5K online course, or some other "big ticket" item.

In this case, it looks like his "big ticket upsell" is an ownership piece of your growing company.

Pretty ingenious if you ask me...

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Yes, it is all about building a loyal audience. Once that feat is done, you can push them virtually anything and the sales friction is virtually nothing.

I don't have a bone to pick with him one way or the other, just pointing out the obvious -- which I'm quite shocked wasn't obvious to some here.

The standard, tried-and-true strategy in marketing funnels is to create loyal audiences so you can hit them with the HUGE UPSELL down the road, which is usually a $10K coaching program, and $5K online course, or some other "big ticket" item.

In this case, it looks like his "big ticket upsell" is an ownership piece of your growing company.

Pretty big bet on the capabilities of his audience.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Pretty big bet on the capabilities of his audience.

Still, he's playing the numbers game, and based on his current reach which seems to be nearing GaryV type penetration, the numbers would be in his favor to have his pick of the crop to INSIDERS access to growing companies.

Again, pretty brilliant strategy.

Lots of takeaways for any entrepreneur. Sounds like you can learn from his books, and you can also learn by observing how he's running his own marketing funnel.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Still, he's playing the numbers game, and based on his current reach which seems to be nearing GaryV type penetration, the numbers would be in his favor to have his pick of the crop to INSIDERS access to growing companies.

Again, pretty brilliant strategy.

Lots of takeaways for any entrepreneur. Sounds like you can learn from his books, and you can also learn by observing how he's running his own marketing funnel.

I heard him say somewhere before that the worst way to monitize an audience would be a course.

I think he was actually referencing Grant Cardone - how he went from courses to instead using his audience to create a property fund that Grant now gets paid to buy for, manage and also gets rewarded from the profits. So 3 big cuts from the one big pie.

But ya the play here seems to be:

Stage one: I got nothing to sell you

Stage two: Gain massive following who are jaded of being sold to by everyone else

< wait a while >

Stage three: Look guys, a LOT of you have asked for __________, so I have created this to help you out... ($)

But, like MJ, I have no bone to pick here either. This is just how it is does now at a high level - and it works.

---

Whats kinda ironic is this is because it's marketing to people who know marketing. Its a group of people that are jaded after years of guru-spam-offers. So the only make to make massive inroads is insane amounts of free value on the front end for a long time before making any kind of offer.

These guys are all playing a 5-20 year game plan.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
Whats kinda ironic is this is because it's marketing to people who know marketing. Its a group of people that are jaded after years of guru-spam-offers. So the only make to make massive inroads is insane amounts of free value on the front end for a long time before making any kind of offer.
Maybe most people aren't as smart as you give them credit for?

I wasn't surprised about Andy starting selling either...

Jesse Itzler is another entrepreneur I followed. He has a super impressive track record selling multiple businesses for hundreds of millions of dollars (I think he sold two businesses to Warren Buffet) and being a co-owner of the Atlanta Hawks. He is also married to a self-made billionaire... The dude literally was a huge part in making David Goggins famous because he wrote a book about him long before anyone knew David.
Yet... after some time on podcasts, he started selling a course and he is a speaker now...

Anybody that goes into the public and shares high-quality content regularly (which isn't cheap at all!) has an egoistical reason to do it... maybe some people really do anything for free because they are huge narcissists and love being famous :rofl:

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
I bought one of his books and to me it's just a blatant copy of Dan Kennedys stuff but for less than 1 euro I can't complain
I also didn't learn anything new from his books.
It's fascinating how there can be so much hype about repacking information that has been known for years in the copywriting / direct sales industry.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I also didn't learn anything new from his books.
It's fascinating how there can be so much hype about repacking information that has been known for years in the copywriting / direct sales industry.
I can't read Dan Kennedy's stuff. Can listen to a few Alex H podcasts back to back though.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
He's stopped saying the "I've nothing to sell" at the start of his podcasts. I'm glad because I found it tiresome. It doesn't matter to me personally whether he does or doesn't have anything to sell. I prefer what he says now about documenting how he's growing his business, how he wished Jeff Bezo would have done.

In that video @Fox shared he said he came up with the "I've nothing to sell you" phrase out of frustration because people kept assuming he was trying to sell them something when (I presume) his goal was to give away free content in exchange for building an audience.

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia
I never understood why anyone would take it so literal as to think it's unethical to say if he ever intends to sell anything online, anywhere, ever. Seems like a silly premise to me. They are branding videos, essentially -- not direct response videos.

I always just assumed "I have nothing to sell you" referred to not having anything to sell you in the video. He's setting the context for that video you're watching in that moment by letting you know there isn't a sales pitch coming, like you might find in a lot of other videos. This particularly made sense when his videos were still new and people didn't know who they were watching yet.

People get tired of digging into videos that doesn't deliver on the premise just to get hit with a sales pitch, so it made sense to say it.

If you got up in front of a room and did a presentation, you might be building your brand and reputation because it's good for your business, but it would make perfect sense to start off your speech with "I have nothing to sell you"... if you in fact weren't making an actual offer at the end of your speech that day (i.e. "I'm just here to offer value today").

In fact, I've seen many other online marketers use a similar phrase in a presentation where they weren't selling anything in that particular presentation. It didn't suddenly mean they would never try to sell you anything, ever. It just didn't become a catchphrase for those people because it was typically a somewhat isolated event -- maybe that's where the disdain comes from.

If I hop on a first phone call with a prospective client, I usually am not selling either. I gather the info, get to know them a bit, decide if we're even the right fit, and then tell them I'm going to take what I've got from our call and come back with an offer. That next phone call would then be "selling."

Would it then be disingenuous to say on that first call, "this isn't a sales call," in order to disarm them? I personally don't think so because it isn't a traditional sales call. No pressure, no pitch -- just a casual conversation to see what the problem is and find out if we're a good fit. Doesn't mean I'm giving up my right to circle back around and sell them later.

I 'spose if it' really rubs people so wrong it makes sense to stop saying it, though. Or maybe he should have just said "I have nothing to sell you TODAY." Just seems like people will always complain about something when a guy becomes a big name.

Of course, he might have stopped saying it because the selling is about to start... ;)

Regardless, the guy drops a ton of value and I thought the first book was fantastic. Waiting for the next one to drop.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
I never understood why anyone would take it so literal as to think it's unethical to say if he ever intends to sell anything online, anywhere, ever. Seems like a silly premise to me.

I'm more concerned an account with like 4 posts posted 2 sentences of a dumb question and has riled up almost everyone on the forum over nothing... but that could just be me.

Like seriously it's Friday night what's with all the essays people.

Last edited:

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 10, 2022
I'm more concerned an account with like 4 posts posted 2 sentences of a dumb question and has riled up almost everyone on the forum over nothing... but that could just be me.

Like seriously it's Friday night what's with all the essays people.
What if I told you this is what I actually do for a living? By asking relatively dumb questions people argue and dig into the bottom of things.

Ivan Koretskyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Oct 2, 2021
Oregon, US
Love the guy, don’t over consume his content. Just take the advice and apply them. These are some of Alex Hormozi quotes I gathered that I apply to my life.
  • You have the ability to be resourceful when it’s for someone else, and not for you. It’s because you choose to be powerful when someone else needs it, but not for yourself.
  • Your ignorance of not knowing how to create the income you want, costs you that amount of income.
  • Power: How to influence events or people
  • Poor people do the wrong things, rich people do the right things, wealthy people own the right things.
  • You have to learn every aspect of the business because we want people to surpass us in those ways when they come in. The more we level up all of those skillset the more we can make better judgements about who’s gonna succeed in that role. We can set the tone of how excellent they should be.
  • Take two steps forward and seeing what you are about to start doing so can hire someone to do it.
  • We need to be reminded more than we need to be taught
  • Make offers so good people feel stupid saying no
  • How we say things is how we think things
  • People want to buy great deals, not cheap stuff
  • Everyone can afford it, if they believe the value is there
  • Stakes is what makes things interesting

rileysather

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 29, 2022
All I know Is he provides free value, so I read his book and watched his podcasts. He also is coming out with other books too, so like usual I will chew the meat and spit the bones

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
lol

I'm waiting for the day that someone makes a thread just like this but about MJ instead

"I just don't know about him guys - I think he's a scammer with that lambo cover book, and I think that he just writes books to sell other books - he must have made his millions selling three $10 books"

Manthe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Sep 9, 2019
I am not selling you anything.. Here is a book I am selling for 0.87USD. And marketing is not (by default) the main reason businesses fail. It is one of the reasons. If you do not have a good product, good marketing can sometimes bring your business to ruins faster!
Actually Alex is depending on the rules of Amazon. Amazon does not allow for giving things away for free, which was Alex original wish (nothing to sell).

Instead he set to lowest price that Amazon allows on his book.

Personally I love the content from Alex, and I have all the respect from anyone that became a multimillionaire since 2017.

If you don't like the man, just unfollow him in your mediastream.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I've read his $100m Offer book but stopped reading halfway, especially the part where he keeps saying to charge a premium for your products. I think it was something like pricing so far out of the range of your most expensive competitor (e.g: if your most expensive competitor is selling Item X at $50, sell it at $5,000 or more kind of thing, that's what he keeps repeating).

Again, if I'm selling a TV, and the market will only pay an average of $2,500 for a modern TV, and I sell it for $50,000 like what he seems to suggest, I would go out of business before I start (or less the TV can cure cancer).

His book, and his teachings, are probably more for service-type products like SEO or other intangible services, especially intangible ones that "promises to make money for your clients". Like guru courses. That's why people would pay $9,997 for a 3-Day intensive entrepreneurship bootcamp. That's what Alex's game is about. Teaching people to sell high-ticket items by inflating their prices and using smoke-and-mirrors to make customers see your service's "perceived value". His $100m Offer book is an invaluable resource for people aspiring to be gurus in any niche.

I don't think it's possible to apply his teachings to eCommerce products and if there's such a real world example, I would be interested to see (excluding Apple, because it's not probable for most guys without $350 bilion in the bank to replicate Apple's branding since they've been around for more than 3 decades).

So Alex, I can just find a nice product for eCommerce in a nice niche, weave a nice brand story together, exaggerate the claims about my product and thus inflate the price exponentially?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I've read his $100m Offer book but stopped reading halfway, especially the part where he keeps saying to charge a premium for your products. I think it was something like pricing so far out of the range of your most expensive competitor (e.g: if your most expensive competitor is selling Item X at $50, sell it at $5,000 or more kind of thing, that's what he keeps repeating).

Again, if I'm selling a TV, and the market will only pay an average of $2,500 for a modern TV, and I sell it for $50,000 like what he seems to suggest, I would go out of business before I start (or less the TV can cure cancer).

His book, and his teachings, are probably more for service-type products like SEO or other intangible services, especially intangible ones that "promises to make money for your clients". Like guru courses. That's why people would pay $9,997 for a 3-Day intensive entrepreneurship bootcamp. That's what Alex's game is about. Teaching people to sell high-ticket items by inflating their prices and using smoke-and-mirrors to make customers see your service's "perceived value". His $100m Offer book is an invaluable resource for people aspiring to be gurus in any niche.

I don't think it's possible to apply his teachings to eCommerce products and if there's such a real world example, I would be interested to see (excluding Apple, because it's not probable for most guys without $350 bilion in the bank to replicate Apple's branding since they've been around for more than 3 decades).

I can hear the negativity all the way over here...

When he's speaking about premium pricing, he's referencing Dan Kennedy's old adage, "there's no competitive advantage to being the 2nd lowest price in the market."

If you want to be competitive in a market, you really only have 3 options:

1. Lower your prices so you ARE the lowest priced (and be able to advertise "lowest priced") ...
2. Be "just like everybody else" and charge what others are charging for the sake of charging that and just try to get a piece of the market out of sheer luck...
3. Be the premium-priced product in your market.

The first is practically impossible for a solo-preneuer. You will never compete on price against large companies who can always underprice you. They are willing to lose more money than you to acquire the customer.

The second is why you're frustrated with your current products right now. Middle of the road, low to no interest, nothing that sets it apart. It's not because your product was bad per se... it was because it has no X factor that makes it unique in the marketplace.

The third offers distinct advantages. First, if you have more money... you can actually make a better product and consistently improve on that product. Second, if you have a higher quality product than your competitors, you have a marketing advantage (and a customer satisfaction advantage, thus re-orders, referrals, and reviews). If you've studied any of Deming's work -- he proved time and time again as a consultant for Honda, Toyota, and Sony that quality ALWAYS wins in the long run.

So Alex, I can just find a nice product for eCommerce in a nice niche, weave a nice brand story together, exaggerate the claims about my product and thus inflate the price exponentially?

Blows my mind how many would-be entrepreneurs really believe every other entrepreneur but them is a scammer.

Clearly, they must only sell inferior products and cheap crap that they overcharge for.

Here's the truth: you can only scam someone ONE TIME.

You cannot build a sustainable business by selling crap (unless you're literally marketing crap).

You simply MUST start asking some better questions here. "Why do people buy Sony, Samsung, Toyota/Lexus, Gucci, Louis, Kitton, etc., etc."

And "how can they still be in business after 100 years if all they do is scam people?"

You might find that you're just flat-out wrong.

Why can brands like lulu lemon skyrocket to the success they've found? What about Vuori? (hell, they went from 0 to 4 billion in 7 years)

Do you REALLY believe they are just slapping a high-end label on things and snickering at all the suckers that buy their stuff over and over again?

Or is it POSSIBLE they've actually created a superior product and they charge a premium for it?

You're REALLY missing the boat here and it has everything to do with mindset.

@Xeon , in your signature you have this quote:

-"What are you doing to help your customers be a better version of themselves?"

THAT
is what creating a premium product is all about.

P.S.

Since you're picking on TVs, I thought I'd google it:

This is some review site but it shares just a few reasons why each of these TVs are so expensive and how they've been engineered to practical perfection.

Will the technology improve and get cheaper? You'd better believe it. I'm currently typing this on two 32" ultra had 4k curved monitors that used to be thousands of dollars... I got them for a couple hundred bucks each...

But that's why they have to constantly innovate and improve...

I know a few entrepreneurs from this forum who created products, sold their initial stock, never improved their product and wonder why their business failed. There's quite a few of them.

Quality wins. Premium wins.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

What I always find interesting is that when people read some type of business book and they can’t figure out how to apply it, then they don’t believe it can be done.

It’s like when I read a flipping real estate book when I was younger about people buying distressed real estate at low prices. Just because I couldn’t get any low offers accepted, I thought the book was a bunch of crap.

However, I don’t think that way anymore. When I read a book like this, I think how can I apply this book in my business. If it was easier than everybody would have already thought of it.

The answer to your question is no you cannot simply get a product and exaggerate its claims to inflate your price. What you must do is get a product that can actually do the claims that you promise which may be well above what current products can do.

I just thought of an idea. I can start an e-commerce course that would teach you how to find products that you can improve and sell at a premium of 10X above with the current market bears. I can sell that course for $10,000. Would that course be worth it to you?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

A better way to think about it is not 100x the product but 100x the experience.

So one guy wants a TV, but then the other guy wants a full home cinema with luxury couches and amazing sound.

Or someone wants a basic skiing class, while someone else wants a back country helicopter skiing experience with a pro coach.

Its not 100m products, its 100 offers.

Look at why someone is buying X, and then 100x the desired result, not the object itself.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I can hear the negativity all the way over here...

When he's speaking about premium pricing, he's referencing Dan Kennedy's old adage, "there's no competitive advantage to being the 2nd lowest price in the market."

If you want to be competitive in a market, you really only have 3 options:

1. Lower your prices so you ARE the lowest priced (and be able to advertise "lowest priced") ...
2. Be "just like everybody else" and charge what others are charging for the sake of charging that and just try to get a piece of the market out of sheer luck...
3. Be the premium-priced product in your market.

The first is practically impossible for a solo-preneuer. You will never compete on price against large companies who can always underprice you. They are willing to lose more money than you to acquire the customer.

The second is why you're frustrated with your current products right now. Middle of the road, low to no interest, nothing that sets it apart. It's not because your product was bad per se... it was because it has no X factor that makes it unique in the marketplace.

The third offers distinct advantages. First, if you have more money... you can actually make a better product and consistently improve on that product. Second, if you have a higher quality product than your competitors, you have a marketing advantage (and a customer satisfaction advantage, thus re-orders, referrals, and reviews). If you've studied any of Deming's work -- he proved time and time again as a consultant for Honda, Toyota, and Sony that quality ALWAYS wins in the long run.

Blows my mind how many would-be entrepreneurs really believe every other entrepreneur but them is a scammer.

Clearly, they must only sell inferior products and cheap crap that they overcharge for.

Here's the truth: you can only scam someone ONE TIME.

You cannot build a sustainable business by selling crap (unless you're literally marketing crap).

You simply MUST start asking some better questions here. "Why do people buy Sony, Samsung, Toyota/Lexus, Gucci, Louis, Kitton, etc., etc."

And "how can they still be in business after 100 years if all they do is scam people?"

You might find that you're just flat-out wrong.

Why can brands like lulu lemon skyrocket to the success they've found? What about Vuori? (hell, they went from 0 to 4 billion in 7 years)

Do you REALLY believe they are just slapping a high-end label on things and snickering at all the suckers that buy their stuff over and over again?

Or is it POSSIBLE they've actually created a superior product and they charge a premium for it?

You're REALLY missing the boat here and it has everything to do with mindset.

@Xeon , in your signature you have this quote:

-"What are you doing to help your customers be a better version of themselves?"

THAT
is what creating a premium product is all about.

P.S.

Since you're picking on TVs, I thought I'd google it:

This is some review site but it shares just a few reasons why each of these TVs are so expensive and how they've been engineered to practical perfection.

Will the technology improve and get cheaper? You'd better believe it. I'm currently typing this on two 32" ultra had 4k curved monitors that used to be thousands of dollars... I got them for a couple hundred bucks each...

But that's why they have to constantly innovate and improve...

I know a few entrepreneurs from this forum who created products, sold their initial stock, never improved their product and wonder why their business failed. There's quite a few of them.

Quality wins. Premium wins.

Thanks for the insight, I'll reflect on this. Always thought you only knew about Tony Robbins and all that self-help stuff lol

I just thought of an idea. I can start an e-commerce course that would teach you how to find products that you can improve and sell at a premium of 10X above with the current market bears. I can sell that course for $10,000. Would that course be worth it to you?

Yes, of course, but I wouldn't pay a single cent unless I actually see profits going inside my bank account, aka U-pay-only-after-U-see-profits model. lol I don't even trust those "Money back guarantee" claims since every guru and their dog is using that to death.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Thanks for the insight, I'll reflect on this. Always thought you only knew about Tony Robbins and all that self-help stuff lol

It's almost like I've spent my entire life building businesses or something :hilarious:

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022

Absolutely. If I was growing a $3M business, I'd already have called him.

The content is solid and his track record is ridiculous. It makes me wonder whether the deal terms are fair or predatory.

Last edited:

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 10, 2022
Hi guys an update from my side. Because of your feedback I thought to myself why not give this guy another try? So I downloaded and read his 100million offers book about marketing (that is free actually on PDF format). I believe it is quite valuable, and a good read (kinda childish though).
Yes it is a book that states the obvious, but for someone starting out like me it is quite valuable and I will definately be trying the strategies mentioned for my product. Maybe they will work or maybe not. But lets see.
Also in the book he clearly states his "sales pitch" for investing in your company if it explodes (the bigger the wait the bigger the ask).
So there you have it. My opinion goes to mostly negative to somewhat positive, because in the end it is free material even though there is a sales pitch very down the line.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.