The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

After a year of development I just launched a new social network. What’s the best way to get early users?

Share your FTE moment...

journeyfoxx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 31, 2019
Taipei, Taiwan
After reading The Millionaire Fastlane , MJ says social networks are one example of a fastlane business. So I went ahead and built my own social network — a Q&A community for travelers and expats with the same name as my username here.

We just launched after a year in development, so it would mean the world to me to get your advice. Link here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
After reading The Millionaire Fastlane , MJ says social networks are one example of a fastlane business. So I went ahead and built my own social network — a Q&A community for travelers and expats with the same name as my username here.

We just launched after a year in development, so it would mean the world to me to get your advice. Link here.

Hi! Congrats on being on your journey.

Did you do some market research or any kind of testing before creating the whole platform?

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
BTW the platform looks good, I'm not a client for this but looks nice, the only thing that shocked me a bit was the font of some sections, that Serif and bold Serif font, I would change that.

journeyfoxx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 31, 2019
Taipei, Taiwan
Hi! Congrats on being on your journey.

Did you do some market research or any kind of testing before creating the whole platform?

yes I did research on all of the current travel related Q&A platforms and found a gap in the market. Most like the TripAdvisor forum or Facebook travel groups are for quick exchanges of information. I wanted to build a Quora style platform with long form blog style content.

journeyfoxx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 31, 2019
Taipei, Taiwan
BTW the platform looks good, I'm not a client for this but looks nice, the only thing that shocked me a bit was the font of some sections, that Serif and bold Serif font, I would change that.
Thanks we are still tweaking and fine tuning. I agree that some of the fonts need to be switched.

journeyfoxx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 31, 2019
Taipei, Taiwan
How will your site be unique to Quora

This is a good question. Quora is a smorgasbord of topics and information. For journeyfoxx I want to keep the focus on travel and cultural topics, just like here it wouldn’t make sense to start a political thread or dating advice thread. That means anyone looking to read about travel topics can know they’ll find it on my platform without having to dig around.

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
Like this a lot. I agree with the poster above that the fonts could do with changing. Can see this being really well optimised in app form!

Could see myself using this for finding out good non touristy bars to visit when I’m in a new city.

Santiaggo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Feb 2, 2018
Uruguay
Well, I feel like trying to market it right now wouldn't be the best option because of the coronavirus, as people will travel less due to fears of contracting it and such... but other than that, the platform looks great, and props to you for actually taking action and building something based on a market gap!

journeyfoxx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 31, 2019
Taipei, Taiwan
Like this a lot. I agree with the poster above that the fonts could do with changing. Can see this being really well optimised in app form!

Could see myself using this for finding out good non touristy bars to visit when I’m in a new city.
Thanks for the feedback! It’s a bit of a chicken and egg problem now. For the time being I’m writing and posting lots of useful content on Taiwan and east Asia as I live here. But I think I need to get an influencer or someone with wide reach to repost the link before if catches. This is where I’m at now. Any ideas from marketing and business minds like yourself are welcome!

journeyfoxx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 31, 2019
Taipei, Taiwan
Well, I feel like trying to market it right now wouldn't be the best option because of the coronavirus, as people will travel less due to fears of contracting it and such... but other than that, the platform looks great, and props to you for actually taking action and building something based on a market gap!

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe it’s also an opportunity to report on what’s happening out here (Taiwan at the moment) regarding the virus, and get traffic that way?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
The way I see it growing best is for it to come up on google searches. When people search, they can find the same question on your site. You just need to give it a kickstart yourself or with paid traffic, but as long as users generate content, and that content is brought up high in google search results, then you have a good social media site.

I would say the success of this idea hinges on how well questions can turn into a high ranking google search result since that will probably be the best opportunity for any sizable, scalable and affordable traffic.

Just needs a little improvement with design such as font like others have mentioned, and it needs to incentivize people to sign up, whether to ask questions or answer them. It does a decent job at this though.

I like it. Very quora-like, but maybe it can be a Pepsi-Coke thing. People are tired of Quora anyways.

journeyfoxx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 31, 2019
Taipei, Taiwan
The way I see it growing best is for it to come up on google searches. When people search, they can find the same question on your site. You just need to give it a kickstart yourself or with paid traffic, but as long as users generate content, and that content is brought up high in google search results, then you have a good social media site.

I would say the success of this idea hinges on how well questions can turn into a high ranking google search result since that will probably be the best opportunity for any sizable, scalable and affordable traffic.

Just needs a little improvement with design such as font like others have mentioned, and it needs to incentivize people to sign up, whether to ask questions or answer them. It does a decent job at this though.

I like it. Very quora-like, but maybe it can be a Pepsi-Coke thing. People are tired of Quora anyways.

Great to hear both the good and the bad from guys like you. All of my buddies encourage me but as you know that's not useful. Maybe a more simple, sans serif font will do the trick.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Great to hear both the good and the bad from guys like you. All of my buddies encourage me but as you know that's not useful. Maybe a more simple, sans serif font will do the trick.
To me, there's something just not super visually pleasing about the font, thickness, size, spacing, idk. I can't put my finger on it, but something in my brain says "I wish it looked different".

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

Great job so far :) Your website is looking good, personally I have no issue with the fonts.

0. Do you have any users so far?

1. How do you plan to get your first users?

2. Social media sites require activity and showing up in search results to be popular. What is your plan to achieve that?

D

Deleted78083

Couchsurfing is slowly dying, maybe you could take its place? It was a great tool to ask questions on culture and travels . Also, who has interests to be on your website? Tourism businesses and tourist information offices, places that want to attract more tourists. Maybe you could focus on that first: places that do not get much tourists yet but will thx to your website.

JohnForte

Software Engineer Ninja
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 12, 2019
New York
Just a minor detail to look into, pre Load the image on the login modal, it looked weird when it showed up with no image and then bam an image magically appeared.

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
Congrats for taking action, it looks good on mobile. What's your plan for growth hacking early users and engagement? Two sided market needs a supply of both questions and answers to get traction. Good luck

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe try dynamic search ads in Google Ads? Run with low bids and budget and see what search terms visitors come in on?

jambra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 5, 2020
United Kingdom
Looking good man, do you have plans for an app? I feel apps are almost essential for any social network to thrive these days.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Congrats on your efforts so far. I think anything with relevant targeted info should do fine.

But to get more people to the site I think you should have your own Travel Content as well waiting for them maybe in the form of Guides, like Safety, Hacks, Discounts, Videos. Also guest posts...sponsored post etc.

Once there and engaged..the questions would come naturally.

And I have to add....build a list..because that also creates traffic when you email them some new content avail.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.