The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Bump for those of you coming out of your turkey coma's in the US and can't get focused rolling into the end of the year.

Whether you use this system or not, use SOMETHING....!!

The best system in the world is the one you use every day.

Consistency and perseverance are big cornerstones to success and most peoples area of imporvement.

Don't try to finish everything today, just get working towards something and don't stop.
This!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rauschmi

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Dec 7, 2021
Oceanside, CA
I tend to try to group task types together to avoid a switching penalty as much as possible. A switching penalty is when your mind is changing from one line of thinking to the next, what you might think takes you only a few minutes, actually implicates maybe 45 minutes of lost focused time making you far less effective during the day.
That switching penalty is SOO very real. I suffer from this severely in my current job. Switching from one train of thought to another wastes so much if my time at work. But hey, my company doesn't seem to mind. But I don't plan on letting it happen in my business venture.

Mainstream7

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2015
That switching penalty is SOO very real. I suffer from this severely in my current job. Switching from one train of thought to another wastes so much if my time at work. But hey, my company doesn't seem to mind. But I don't plan on letting it happen in my business venture.

I found that starting a pomodoro timer will negate the effects of task switching. Once I click on start, the focus is zoomed into the task, no matter what happened before.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I found that starting a pomodoro timer will negate the effects of task switching. Once I click on start, the focus is zoomed into the task, no matter what happened before.
The timer is the tool to aide what is really helping you, your discipline. You COULD choose to switch focus even with a timer on, but the timer helps set you short term focus and responsibility to the task you set out and anchor to the short time frame in which you want to work on it.

The reason I point this out is it helps you understand that you are in fact in control you and you can in fact, stay focused if you choose to. That is 100% in your control, vs pairing your ability to get through things being only because you had a timer app running. If your ability to focus is tied to a tool, and that tool isn't present, you could believe that your ability is now diminished... which isn't true.

Good for you for making that association and using it to your advantage!

Rauschmi

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Dec 7, 2021
Oceanside, CA
I will have to try Pomodoro method when switching tasks. I have only used the Pomodoro a few times and it never stuck with me. I will have to get a better timer system in place. Does anyone have any good Pomodoro app suggestions? Or is it just setting timers and remembering to set the timers when it is time to start the Pomodoro time frames?

Mainstream7

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2015
I will have to try Pomodoro method when switching tasks. I have only used the Pomodoro a few times and it never stuck with me. I will have to get a better timer system in place. Does anyone have any good Pomodoro app suggestions? Or is it just setting timers and remembering to set the timers when it is time to start the Pomodoro time frames?
I use Pomofocus.
The thing is I don't use it in the conventional sense. It's just about clicking on start and forget everything else.

The brain goes like this: "Okay, I have a lot of other stuff going in my mind, but let's forget everything for just 25 minutes and focus on this task".
Once the 25 minutes are over you might be in flow state and can just continue to work without the timer even.

Mainstream7

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2015
The timer is the tool to aide what is really helping you, your discipline. You COULD choose to switch focus even with a timer on, but the timer helps set you short term focus and responsibility to the task you set out and anchor to the short time frame in which you want to work on it.

The reason I point this out is it helps you understand that you are in fact in control you and you can in fact, stay focused if you choose to. That is 100% in your control, vs pairing your ability to get through things being only because you had a timer app running. If your ability to focus is tied to a tool, and that tool isn't present, you could believe that your ability is now diminished... which isn't true.

Good for you for making that association and using it to your advantage!

True. I'm experimenting with it. Saw your e-mail about the group! Will check it out :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore