The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Mass of Mass Shootings... Guns? Or Mental Illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
##########

MODERATOR NOTE:
These posts were extracted from the RANDOM CHAT thread. While this is a sensitive topic that has political overtones, I hope the forum can amicably discuss it in a civilized manner. If not, the thread will be closed.

###########

Almost 30 people dead in 2 more mass shootings...250 shootings this year? At what point do we realize that what's happening isn't normal. At what point do we stop justifying these events with bullshit.

The last one being in Texas...where a thread a couple months ago asked which place was safer Texas or Canada. Clearly it can happen anywhere in any state at any place. It doesn't matter. No place is safe at this point.

I can't even feel comfortable going to the mall, Walmart, movies, downtown, school, church or any other public place without having to worry some a**hole with a gun is going to shoot at my family. Is this really the way it's supposed to be? Smh.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Almost 30 people dead in 2 more mass shootings...250 shootings this year? At what point do we realize that what's happening isn't normal. At what point do we stop justifying these events with bullshit.

The last one being in Texas...where a thread a couple months ago asked which place was safer Texas or Canada. Clearly it can happen anywhere in any state at any place. It doesn't matter. No place is safe at this point.

I can't even feel comfortable going to the mall, Walmart, movies, downtown, school, church or any other public place without having to worry some a**hole with a gun is going to shoot at my family. Is this really the way it's supposed to be? Smh.

Don't let fear dictate your life, there's still a bigger chance you will struck down from lighting than you will get shot in a shooting.

Imo all media organisations should make a gentlemen's agreement that they will never put shooters in the spotlights, because that's exactly what they want. If they would spend less media attention on those lunatics, I'm 100% certain this will happen less. And that goes for terrorist attacks too.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Ah yes, it won't take someone long to blame guns, Trump, Fox News, and whatever else that justifies taking away my right to own a firearm.

Once again, the real problem isn't guns, but mental illness. Where does this mental illness come from? Maybe we should stop medicating our young people with pharmaceuticals (Ritalin, Prozac, etc) while constantly reminding them that their life sucks (social media) and that they have no chance to change it (the media) while their best bet is to become a slave to a system for 50 years (education).

When mental illness wants to wreak destruction, it will simply go the the easiest, most effective means of doing so. In the US, unfortunately, that will always be a gun. Take away the gun, and it will be driving a car through a crowd, or a homemade bomb. Removing guns doesn't solve the problem, it just makes the mentally insane people have to work a little harder.

No place is safe at this point.

True, but not because of guns, but because we're surrounded by mental illness, depression, and rage (against the system). The gun is the easiest outlet (and most effective) expression of rage.

There are a lot of threads on this forum relating to mental illness. depression and matters of the mind. Unaddressed, they can compound into serious issues, so serious, that the idea of killing innocent people becomes an idea.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
I agree @MJ DeMarco

Mental health should be a spotlight subject.

I do think the gun provides an easier outlet for those with issues to inflict harm. The most common sense safeguard would then be to require mandatory psychological exams/test (?) before being able to purchase a gun imo.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Maybe we should stop medicating our young people with pharmaceuticals (Ritalin, Prozac, etc) while constantly reminding them that their life sucks (social media) and that they have no chance to change it (the media) while their best bet is to become a slave to a system for 50 years (education).

This sentence really stuck out for me.

It's incredibly depressing how everything needs to be "medicated" today - even though the majority of pills do more harm than good.

Look up any psychotropic and you'll most likely find the "side effects" outweighing the positives drastically.

Even bullshit like "antidepressants". Look at the quote below.
  • "The proportion of U.S. children and teens (aged 0-19 years) taking antidepressants between 2005 and 2012 increased from 1.3% to 1.6%, despite the Food and Drug Administration “Black Box” warning in 2004 that antidepressants may induce suicidal behavior.[18]"

You have a pill that's supposed to make you less sad, but instead it makes you want to kill yourself. How the F*ck is that allowed?

There's tons of articles on mass shooters being linked to some kind of mind altering substance.

The same way that we stay away from alcohol, "drugs" (what we call cocaine, heroin, etc), we should stay away from pharmaceuticals that have documented negative effects.

Shit, I drink coffee after a caffeine reset and feel myself going a little crazy. I get a little jittery, anxious, and have streams of less controlled thoughts. That's with coffee - something that society considers absolutely normal. Now change that to a psychotropic, and what you have is a recipe for disaster.

Honestly, we need to prescribe people less drugs, and more time in nature. Send them off to work on a farm for a couple months. No electronics. No media. No social media. No stress over things we can't control. Just wait for the perspective to change and for the depression to slowly go away. Obviously not a solution for everyone, but I think something closer in that direction would help most people.

Instead, we keep feeding kids and adults pills, F*cking up their brain chemistry, and then wondering why they eventually kill themselves or someone else.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Ah yes, it didn't take someone long to blame guns, Trump, Fox News, and whatever else that justifies taking away my right to own a firearm.

Once again, the real problem isn't guns, but mental illness. Where does this mental illness come from? Maybe we should stop medicating our young people with pharmaceuticals (Ritalin, Prozac, etc) while constantly reminding them that their life sucks (social media) and that they have no chance to change it (the media) while their best bet is to become a slave to a system for 50 years (education).

When mental illness wants to wreak destruction, it will simply go the the easiest, most effective means of doing so. In the US, unfortunately, that will always be a gun. Take away the gun, and it will be driving a car through a crowd, or a homemade bomb. Removing guns doesn't solve the problem, it just makes the mentally insane people have to work a little harder.

True, but not because of guns, but because we're surrounded by mental illness, depression, and rage (against the system). The gun is the easiest outlet (and most effective) expression of rage.

There are a lot of threads on this forum relating to mental illness. depression and matters of the mind. Unaddressed, they can compound into serious issues, so serious, that the idea of killing innocent people becomes an idea.

Yeah. But I think saying "mental illness" over-simplifies the problem. Just like saying more gun controls will fix the problem. Here is a short list of things that have increased along with gun violence, despite the fact that gun ownership continues to decrease......

Absent parents (mainly fathers)
increased isolation
video games
prescription drugs
social media
mass marketing and propaganda
social pressure

I think the increased isolation is a BIG one, that technology has greatly perpetuated. Why get out into the world when technology can deliver the world to your brain.....except now, we mix in video games, or social media, or mass marketing and propaganda, and social pressure. With technology, we can deliver ALL of these things straight to everyones brain. And god forbid you are on any prescription drugs which can magnify the effects of what is being delivered to your brain. Technology has made a lot of people wealthy, but it is going to hasten our demise.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
A gun is just a tool. In China and Japan guns are banned. In China mass killers use knifes. In Japan a few weeks ago someone set an anime studio on fire. He killed 30 people.

If you ban guns only criminals and police will have guns. Criminals are the only ones that benefit from gun bans. They know most people will not have a gun thus making it easier to commit crimes.

The population of the US has been under constant psychological programming since the 1950s. They used to call it psycho cybernetics. There's so much mass programming that we're not aware of. Mass communication channels and drugs are used to implement the programming.

Whenever a school shooting happens some places don't even air it on TV because the copy cat effect is real. People on the brink of commiting a crime get encourage when they see others do it.

Also mass communication makes us think that crimes are rising because we are constantly bombarded with them. In fact crime has been on the decline since the 1990s.

The government uses your emotional reaction to implement their agenda. Which at the moment seems to be a ban on guns. Your fear and confusion helps them.

Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
It pisses me off that absolutely nothing will be done to prevent these mass shootings.

We live in a society with ZERO spiritual values. "Oh you have depression? Here is this pill because after all it's nothing other than a chemical imbalance. You are nothing but a bag of meat. The idea that you are a spiritual/mental creature is nothing but woo ahhh".

Look at freaking Maslows hierarchy of needs its right there in your face. We as humans have needs.

When our physical and psychological needs are not met a tremendous dysfunction ensues. Thats why you have these cold angry young men that feel so disconnected to other human beings that the idea of killing lots of them would be great.

I know this may not sound professional but one of the things I think will help is if you legalize prostitution and marijuana. It's always the same suspect, a young man angry and lonely. These are personality traits that don't exactly make you a ladies man. Sigmund Freud has said that sexuality is primary psychological motivation conscious and unconscious. Give that guy a beer a joint and a girl and he wouldn't have such a need to go out and murder all those people. Sexuality is a way to reduce that social disconnect.

:bored::bored:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Putting on my tin foil hat here... proceed at your own risk.

I can't help but notice the coincidence between the fact that the Epstein arrest was just a couple weeks ago, which is busting wide open an elite pedophile ring, and then we have two consecutive mass shootings. These shootings sure seem to have shifted the news cycle away from the fact that our elites are into the most heinous stuff imaginable and onto the conversation of how to disarm an overwhelmingly peaceful populace.

Something else that caught my eye: from what I'm seeing, both shooters wore hearing protection. Why? This is unprecedented in these types of events, as typically these shooters have very little training with guns and no intention of surviving. Perhaps the Dayton (my hometown, sadly) shooter was inspired by the El Paso shooter, but to see two shootings with such an oddity makes me wonder if there isn't some other link between them (a federal agent provocateur, for instance).

Another thing of note is that ALL the democrat candidates are gun grabbers. Sure seems like a setup for a de facto repeal of the 2A to me.

Tin foil hat off.

I'm upgrading my carry gun from my S&W Shield to my Glock 19 and greasing my swivel.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
This is a question that travels much deeper than a simple claim of who is at fault. As a former operative, I can definitely say guns in the hands of good men are all that stand between those that would do harm to others. (Frankly, I don't think criminals and murderers ever cared about legislation, granted that isn't to say there shouldn't be some legislation)

I also want to note this El Paso shooting happened where I was stationed and it does tug at my heart, I am angry but I am not an ideologue or someone with an agenda.

But why don't we just ask the shooters themselves, the Columbine shooters, West Virginia, The "Incel" shooter all left very very thorough manifestos as to why they did what they did, these men weren't mentally ill in the classical sense, they were DEEPLY resentful at their lives and decided to step out of the value structure completely and if they can fulfill deep-seated dreams of infamy and also destroy something good in the process, hell yeah they'll do it and don't give a damn about the politics behind it.

Anyone that dares make a political agenda out of these events is just as ideological as the shooters, so blinded by their beliefs on gun control, etc that they can't see the answers in front of them, mass shootings come from deeply resentful or ideological people, so perhaps the answer is as simple as listening to one another and treating everyone and ourselves with a genuine desire to help. And also be armed to the F*cking teeth should someone who has decided this is the way they'll do things, does it.

Listen to each other so you can make sure the shit stack doesn't get too big, be responsible and when shit hits the fan, be ready.

Stay safe my friends.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
It's rather indicative of a society in shambles I think. It reminds me of the end of the Roman Empire once they exhausted all their resources, and with nothing left to conquer, and no societies to exploit, they couldn't self sustain.

I also think social media and promises made about life are partly to blame. Either way, it's a tragic situation that will hopefully come to an end somehow.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

I can't help but notice the coincidence between the fact that the Epstein arrest was just a couple weeks ago, which is busting wide open an elite pedophile ring, and then we have two consecutive mass shootings. These shootings sure seem to have shifted the news cycle away from the fact that our elites are into the most heinous stuff imaginable and onto the conversation of how to disarm an overwhelmingly peaceful populace.

Something else that caught my eye: from what I'm seeing, both shooters wore hearing protection. Why? This is unprecedented in these types of events, as typically these shooters have very little training with guns and no intention of surviving. Perhaps the Dayton (my hometown, sadly) shooter was inspired by the El Paso shooter, but to see two shootings with such an oddity makes me wonder if there isn't some other link between them (a federal agent provocateur, for instance).

Another thing of note is that ALL the democrat candidates are gun grabbers. Sure seems like a setup for a de facto repeal of the 2A to me.

Tin foil hat off.

I'm upgrading my carry gun from my S&W Shield to my Glock 19 and greasing my swivel.
You are officially never allowed to meet Mrs Gman. This is precisely the kind of stuff she thinks.

I actually do think gun control could help, in addition to about a gazillion other things, not the least of which is something filling the spiritual black hole at the center of American life.

That said, gun control is all a bit of a prisoners dilemma. There’s no reason to believe the gun controllers are acting in good faith, even for those of us that believe in gun control in the abstract sense. Oh yeah, and there’s that whole things where governments, including the US government, are responsible for more mass shootings than about anyone else.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Wow. Talk about living your life in fear. Do you have any idea what the odds of you dying by gunshot are?

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Absent parents (mainly fathers)
increased isolation
video games
prescription drugs
social media
mass marketing and propaganda
social pressure

+1 ... it's like a big melting pot of factors, an ingredient list that is multi-faceted in contributors.

These shootings sure seem to have shifted the news cycle away from the fact that our elites are into the most heinous stuff imaginable

Was this getting any play in the mainstream?

I've stopped paying attention to ALL NEWS nearly 2 years ago, from TV to websites to radio -- and that includes news that might reflect my particular narrative.

I'm simply tired of all of it.

I only heard about the shootings through word of mouth, not because I visited any website or watched any newscast.

I've come to the conclusion that I cannot trust any news outlet regardless of partisan spin or agenda.

Even reported FACTS has become problematic.

In short, you'll get FACTS reported that endorse a particular narrative, but other FACTS will be kept out of the narrative if it detracts from the thesis. This occurs regardless of bias or agenda, left or right. We can no longer expect to hear ALL the facts to make our own judgments, just the facts that foster an agenda.

And then don't even get me started on the "Las Vegas shooter" and how that event was whitewashed, despite 5,310 cameras in the the casino, arguably one of the safest, most surveilled places on the planet.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
+1 ... it's like a big melting pot of factors, an ingredient list that is multi-faceted in contributors.

Was this getting any play in the mainstream?

I've stopped paying attention to ALL NEWS nearly 2 years ago, from TV to websites to radio -- and that includes news that might reflect my particular narrative.

It was getting mainstream press, but typically showing photos of Trump and Epstein on the rare occasions that they mingled in public venues. Conveniently absent were mention of the dozens of trips that a certain beloved democratic former president made to his private island.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
And then don't even get me started on the "Las Vegas shooter" and how that event was whitewashed, despite 5,310 cameras in the the casino, arguably one of the safest, most surveilled places on the planet.
Yeah if I was ever gonna be on board with the tinfoil hat crowd it’s because of this one. Dude sets up shop on top of a casino and shoots into a crowd, and did you notice how literally nothing has been said about the shooter or his motive after the initial speculation died off?

WTF?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
It pisses me off that absolutely nothing will be done to prevent these mass shootings.

We live in a society with ZERO spiritual values. "Oh you have depression? Here is this pill because after all it's nothing other than a chemical imbalance. You are nothing but a bag of meat. The idea that you are a spiritual/mental creature is nothing but woo ahhh".

Look at freaking Maslows hierarchy of needs its right there in your face. We as humans have needs.

When our physical and psychological needs are not met a tremendous dysfunction ensues. Thats why you have these cold angry young men that feel so disconnected to other human beings that the idea of killing lots of them would be great.

I know this may not sound professional but one of the things I think will help is if you legalize prostitution and marijuana. It's always the same suspect, a young man angry and lonely. These are personality traits that don't exactly make you a ladies man. Sigmund Freud has said that sexuality is primary psychological motivation conscious and unconscious. Give that guy a beer a joint and a girl and he wouldn't have such a need to go out and murder all those people. Sexuality is a way to reduce that social disconnect.

:bored::bored:

Pretty much this.

You could say it's mental illness. But why are people ending up with mental illness?

It's a cultural issue.

Mass shootings are a symptom of cultural failings. Some people are extremely angry towards the system, attacking the innocent is one of the most natural ways to get back at the system.

Tin foil hat off.

Not a surprise at all. Like what, 60%+ of the media 'news' is for distraction purposes?

The relationship between homicide rates and the supposed measure of gun ownership provided the Small Arms Survey shows that even with their obviously biased measure of gun ownership, more guns ownership is associated with fewer homicides, though the relationship is not statistically significant.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I think in the future, everyone will just have therapists. Just like everyone has a mechanic, everyone has a lawyer, everyone has an accountant. I think everyone will just have a therapist.

And I think with Machine Learning and AI we'll be able to see the warning signs well in advance and maybe prompt users that they need a checkup.

Machine learning can predict with 80-90 percent accuracy whether someone will attempt suicide as far off as two years into the future

The whisper of schizophrenia: Machine learning finds ‘sound’ related words predict psychosis with 93% accuracy

Can this be done with Mass Shootings? And what are the moral implications. It way be something akin to minority report.

One thing is basically certain as far as I can tell, Gun Control doesn't work. Australia, the UK and Canada all banned guns completely

UK banned them in 1996:

That being said, the US is one of the only countries where buying a gun is basically just as easy as getting your motor oil changed.

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
Ah yes, it won't take someone long to blame guns, Trump, Fox News, and whatever else that justifies taking away my right to own a firearm.

I have a friend that works in the hospital and she mentioned exactly this just a few weeks ago ....this is our problem/medicating everyone almost like giving it away like it is candy. Very sad system indeed!

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
I have a friend that works in the hospital and she mentioned exactly this just a few weeks ago ....this is our problem/medicating everyone almost like giving it away like it is candy. Very sad system indeed!
I agree it may likely be an ingredient list of multifaceted...Melting pot of factors as listed above.

drpeppehr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 10, 2017
USA
Man, @MJ DeMarco you seriously hit the nail on the head with your post.

It's exactly that. It's mental illness. What makes a person decide that they want to kill people? How do we prevent people from thinking about killing people? Making guns illegal or weapons illegal might help but it's not going to solve the problem. We have to wonder how it is that people decide to take action on their thoughts of killing. It's a mental issue. In our country, you have the freedom to think about whatever you want. It's tough. How do we change our culture?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I don't think its mental illness - its "right" leaning people that feel like their secured and given place in the world is being taken away from them. And they lash out at soft targets.

Funny how for some people, we want to blame "mental illness" but for others, its an ideology/religion and terrorism/extremism.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I don't think its mental illness - its "right" leaning people that feel like their secured and given place in the world is being taken away from them. And they lash out at soft targets.

Funny how for some people, we want to blame "mental illness" but for others, its an ideology/religion and terrorism/extremism.
You’re half right. When it’s non-“right” people kill folks we blame poverty, discrimination, etc. We blame anyone except the person that does it, because being honest about it might mean confronting the depravity of the human condition. Hence why I mention the spiritual black hole at the center of American society.

EDIT: I know it’s hackneyed to bring up deaths in traffic when debating gun violence, but it’s something that should be considered. We all know that every time we get behind the wheel of a car there is a possibility we accidentally kill someone with our car, yet we still all drive. Today I got behind the wheel of my killing machine just to get a cup of coffee. This means that, consciously or subconsciously, I value saving 10 minutes over the life of a stranger. This is another reason why the debate is a fake debate.

The only reasonable way to start the discussion is “hey can we all admit we’re selfish muderous f@ckers here?” Anything else is pure fakery.

Government itself lives and dies on its ability to threaten people with violence, but I don’t think anybody want to live with no government. At the end of the day, we are all willing to live with some human sacrifice if we feel like there’s a net benefit to our lives.

God I hate this entire discussion

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Uhh?????

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
One thing is basically certain as far as I can tell, Gun Control doesn't work. Australia, the UK and Canada all banned guns completely
The chart from the Australian Bureau of Statistics below shows that most murders in Australia are a result of physical violence without a weapon.

Anecdotally, I can report that the incidence of knife violence including murder, has substantially increased since the gun control legislation was passed. On what passes for news broadcasts, hardly a day goes by without reports of stabbings, often resulting from minor disputes.

I did not have to surrender my 3 firearms because, after having been a shooter for 50 years without endangering any humans, I managed to pass the pathetically stupid exam required. It included such questions as: "Which end of a rifle should you hold when lifting it out of your car boot ( US = trunk)?":duh:

Sadly, many of the firearms deaths in Australia are the outcome of ill-trained police shooting a mentally disturbed person, largely it seems, due to their inability to understand how to calm such a person.

The vast majority of firearms deaths are now gangland murders and they use unlicensed weapons.

Walter

Attachments

• chart.jpeg
    chart.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 8

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

MJ, you say it like it is, and that's one reason I love you.

Yes, we have a mass mental illness problem. It will only get worse as people believe the lies and find out the red carpet they expected to walk down is actually a treadmill with no "off" button.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
The chart from the Australian Bureau of Statistics below shows that most murders in Australia are a result of physical violence without a weapon.
Jeez Australians are hardcore lol. I was expecting at least knives or suffocation. But F that, Aussies just do it with their bare hands.

But yes, any time I see data on this it seems to corroborate the old "guns don't kill people, people kill people"

People cite this data, which is death by guns

cfi066.gif

Again, for comparison sake:

Of course it lowered gun violence lol, but didn't touch the overall Homicide rate. In fact the Homicide rate rose a little bit after, although that may have been unrelated. But honestly I think I'd rather be murdered with a gun than someones bare hands. More humane.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
You can't medicate away the frustration that comes from feeling like you're being stepped on by the society and have no real agency. At least not permanently. You can dam it up, but when it overflows it will just be worse.

People need a way to improve their lives. If they're trapped in a belief structure that doesn't let them do that, violence is all they can come up with. Murder or suicide. If, on top of that, they're trapped in an economic structure that reinforces the hopelessness, they're even more likely to blow. If on top of that, they have a legitimate mental health issue from physical cause, the chances increase even more.

Clever political and religious leaders in some parts have figured this out. They take that frustration and redirect it outside, creating suicide bombers and zealots. I think the belief structures and economic structures often come about by chance, as the aggregate of many poor decisions by people making laws, regulations, school curricula, and media narratives.

After a time, some opportunists always come out. They understand that they can direct these frustrated people in ways that benefit the opportunist. Go blow up America, or Bangkok, or whoever we don't like. And at the same time, they release a bit of steam from their population. That is, when the population is so frustrated that they're a boiler ready to blow anyway. People in very high or very low emotional states are easy to influence. It's a sad fact.

Another reason to avoid mass-medication as an alternative to learning how to live better. Or endorse it, depending on the future you're trying to bring about.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Jeez Australians are hardcore lol. I was expecting at least knives or suffocation. But F that, Aussies just do it with their bare hands.

But yes, any time I see data on this it seems to corroborate the old "guns don't kill people, people kill people"

People cite this data:

View attachment 26349

Of course it lowered gun violence lol, but didn't touch the overall Homicide rate. Actually I think I'd rather be murdered with a gun than someones bare hands. More humane.

Yeah... the "firearms suicides" vs "gun buy back program" is an example of the asinine graphs people make to support a point. Of course firearm suicides went down... they become hanging and exsanguination suicides instead. Reminds me of the chart "cheese consumption vs death by bedsheet entanglement."

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
sad news:( I used to go to that specific walmart a lot in el paso when I was a child with my dad, he bought merchandise in walmart/sams and cross the border and sell it in his grocery store in Juarez.

That walmart is the most busiest in the city, the shooter might have done his research

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads