The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Couple of Points on Cold Calling

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK
I got a job in sales 2 years ago, and have made approximately 150 cold calls per day since then.

I'm by no means a master, and there's always room for improvement, but I'm pretty well versed in the art and I feel confident in my abilities (for context, I finished top of my team for new business revenue last year). It's absolutely a skill I would recommend anyone learn, if not directly for your business then for your own personal development. My word is not gospel but if this can help one person on their cold calling then my goal is achieved.

I don't want to regurgitate vague information so I will try to be as straight to the point with a couple bits of actionable info. I will add more to this thread in due course, but let's start with 2 fundamentals - be honest & straight to the point, AND lead with the pain.

Be Honest and Straight to the Point

The prospects you are calling are probably very busy people - every second counts and the more time you waste of theirs the more agitated they will become. Also, sales folk have a pretty bad rep for being a touch untruthful. We want to distance ourselves from this preconception pretty swiftly. State your intentions as quickly as possible and move on. Examples:

BAD:
"Hi Mark, it's Cornishpasty calling from Cornish Pasty Ltd, how are you today?"

GOOD:
"Hi Mark, it's Cornishpasty. This is a sales call, would you like to hang up or give me a couple of minutes?" - Sidenote: offering someone the option of hanging up might seem counterintuitive, but you'll be surprised by the amount of people who respect how up front you are and give you a chance as a result.

Lead with the Pain
Too many people approach cold calls as if it is their own Ted Talk. They ring up prospect after prospect screaming features down the phone and hope something sticks. On the odd occasion it does work, show up rates to second meetings are usually fairly low. Through trial and error, I've found that incorporating the pain into my opening pitch alongside some psychological negative questioning is far more effective than feature selling.

Remember, if you can't identify any pain, why are they going to buy from you? People buy emotionally and justify it logically. If you can get someone emotional about something that is actually hurting them, and they genuinely believe you can help, things become A LOT easier. Identify the genuine problems that your product / service solves and lead with that.

To contextualise, lets say you run a Facebook ad agency as an example:

BAD:
"At Cornish Pasty Ltd, we help companies get 15 new clients a month with a money back guarantee if we can't do it for you, sound good?"

GOOD:
"I speak and work with a lot of companies in XXXX industry, and they are frustrated because week in, week out their appointment book never seems to fill up consistently. This unpredictability can make forecasting difficult and at times can lead to serious margin pressures, ultimately stunting growth and hurting their bottom line. But you're probably going to tell me that this problem doesn't resonate..."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Objection Handling
I've seen a lot of information online that preaches the idea of ignoring a prospect's objections and leading them down your line of questioning regardless of what they say. The main argument for this being that objections are knee-jerk reactions and that the prospect is just lying to get you off the phone.

While I agree that SOME objections will not be genuine, it's important to remember this: not everyone will have the problem you are solving. And guess what? that's absolutely fine. Therefore, what's crucial is not to ignore an objection and assume they are lying, but instead to address the objection head on and find out quickly whether or not this call is even worth your time.

Also, a lot of the time, you'll find that when you ignore an objection and plough on through, the same objection will crop up somewhere else in the call. Addressing it straight away allows you to flush their reservations out early doors and puts you in a much stronger position towards the back end of the conversation.

So how do we handle objections effectively? Well, there are a few ways, but I always like to remember that the majority of objections are usually saying one of two things - "we have it covered" "it's not the right time" "I'm not interested" "not for us sorry" all tell me that EITHER the problem doesn't exist, OR there is pain but they don't want to talk about it because they have entertained conversations before and it's never been fixed.

It's at this point where I will usually ask a couple of questions off the back of the objection and then attempt to either differentiate or disqualify.

Example:

BAD:

Prospect: I'm not interested

Seller: I hear what you're saying, how much success have you found over the last 6 months with your Facebook ads?

GOOD:

Prospect:
I'm not interested

Seller: Are you saying that because what I mentioned doesn't impact your business at all, or are you just sick to your back teeth of cold calls from SMMAs?

Prospect: sick of cold calls from SMMAs

Seller: Yeah, I don't blame you & in fact I'd feel the same if I was you - out of interest, what do you think I'm about to say next?

Alternatively, if the prospect had answered that what I mentioned didn't impact their business at all, I would reiterate the pain in a question and ask them to elaborate, usually asking for a specific example - and from there i would either find a route back in or it would become apparent in their explanation that this was not a problem in their business.

From there I would disqualify and move onto the next prospect.

when you approach objections in this way you can address the preconceptions early on and differentiate yourself pretty easily with these kind of questions - and if you find a genuine trend of prospects being pissed off by cold callers in your industry, play into that - you could even incorporate it into your pitch.

e.g. I speak to a lot of local business owners who are frustrated because they're inundated by SMMAs who call up and promise them the world but fail to address the real problems stemming from Facebook ads, such as X, X & X.

Address, differentiate, question.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Appreciate that you are sharing your experience. Thanks.

luminis_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Aug 27, 2022
Thanks for this post, really great insights. I just started cold calling today and used your method in asking for permission before going into my spiel. It definitely warmed up the conversation and made it easier to book meetings!

Last edited:

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Thanks for this post, really great insights. I just started cold calling today and used your method in asking for permission before going into my spiel. It definitely made warmed up the conversation and made it easier to book meetings!
well done getting out there and cold calling - it's no mean feat! great to hear you have had some early success

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
@MJ DeMarco

I started my career in cold calling decades ago. The skills served me well beyond cold calling. It’s general skill in influencing others.

This is GOLD advice here for that reason. And presentation is phenomenal too.

For all the people who are starting out, it’s truly valuable advice. Please consider at least a “Notable” for this thread. This way more people will see it. And I suspect they need it.

PS. Let’s get a few more people on here to share. @mikecarlooch @Vigilante @BizyDad @Andy Black @Kak

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hi Mark, it's Cornishpasty. This is a sales call, would you like to hang up or give me a couple of minutes?" - Sidenote: offering someone the option of hanging up might seem counterintuitive, but you'll be surprised by the amount of people who respect how up front you are and give you a chance as a result.
Love this. And it works. I used to do something similar, but this is probably better.

I'll contribute more later.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@MJ DeMarco

I started my career in cold calling decades ago. The skills served me well beyond cold calling. It’s general skill in influencing others.

For all the people who are starting out, it’s truly valuable advice. Please consider at least a “Notable” for this thread. This way more people will see it. And I suspect they need it.

PS. Let’s get a few more people on here to share. @mikecarlooch @Vigilante @BizyDad @Andy Black @Kak

Some quick points :

1. The do-not-call list has changed a lot of things with regard to your ability to cold call consumers.
2. The National Do Not Call Registry applies only to consumers; business phone and fax numbers are not covered by the registry.
3. Services overseaas can now use pre-recorded english avitars to make lead gen calls with almost seamless virtual interaction. The consumer may never have known they were interacting with a pre-recorded script.
4. For the businesses I am presently building, we're way more interested in warm leads than cold calls. Cold calls may lead to appointments 10:100, but warm leads are more like 80:100.
5. If you are cold calling corporations, START with the CEO and have his or her assistant route you to the right decision maker. Then, when you get to the right decision maker, the call starts with "I was speaking to Mrs' Ceo's assistant and she asked me to call you."

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How well do you have to know up front who you're cold calling/emailing, and what your offer is?

Can cold-x work for those who've not found product-market fit yet?

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK
How well do you have to know up front who you're cold calling/emailing, and what your offer is?

Can cold-x work for those who've not found product-market fit yet
I know people who swear by up front research and it can definitely be useful in certain scenarios, but I prefer to spend as little time researching and as much time on the phone as that’s where the money is made. I go in with the assumption that if the information is relevant enough, they will tell me if I ask the right questions.

Regarding the Q about not knowing your product / market fit - Absolutely, I think it can be a fantastic tool for market research - if it were me I would come up with a very generic problem I could think of in a market and open with that, in an ideal world they might agree that it is an issue, and boom you’re onto something.

If they say it’s not an issue, however, a great fall back I love to use is “okay, great to hear that’s not an issue for you. Out of interest, if you had a magic wand you could wave to remove any problem in the business relating to X, what would it be?”

SeeYouAtTheTop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jul 12, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Be Honest and Straight to the Point
The prospects you are calling are probably very busy people - every second counts and the more time you waste of theirs the more agitated they will become. Also, sales folk have a pretty bad rep for being a touch untruthful. We want to distance ourselves from this preconception pretty swiftly. State your intentions as quickly as possible and move on. Examples:

BAD:
"Hi Mark, it's Cornishpasty calling from Cornish Pasty Ltd, how are you today?"

GOOD:
"Hi Mark, it's Cornishpasty. This is a sales call, would you like to hang up or give me a couple of minutes?" - Sidenote: offering someone the option of hanging up might seem counterintuitive, but you'll be surprised by the amount of people who respect how up front you are and give you a chance as a result.

This has been a game-changer for me too.

I love the line: "Hi FIRST, look - I'm going to be upfront, this is a cold call. Do you want to hang up now or should I tell you why I'm calling?"

5. If you are cold calling corporations, START with the CEO and have his or her assistant route you to the right decision maker. Then, when you get to the right decision maker, the call starts with "I was speaking to Mrs' Ceo's assistant and she asked me to call you."

Another good tactic is the "bunt" approach. Go as high as possible, and get them to bunt you down. Way easier for to someone take a call with you if their superior said to check it out.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
@MJ DeMarco

Thanks for the tag @Antifragile

To answer this I'll bring it into my world of social media and presentation, because personally I've never cold called nor do I have any desire currently (because it's scary.. lol)

However, in my 4 years of creating social media content, I've noticed that tonality, passion, and enthusiasm, which I'm sure can be applied to cold calling, is one of the most important aspects of influencing someone with a message and getting them to pay attention.

One other thing I noticed that really adds field to the fire is your physiology, just like you need to warm up your muscles before gym you need to warm up your voice and put yourself in a passionate and excited state.

Getting REALLY good at presenting whether in videos, on webinars, etc has been one of the best investments I've ever made in myself, and allows me to have tons of confidence.

And to be honest, I didn't start studying any type of persuasion until recently (which I'm finding super cool and it's definitely added to my fire..), after I've presented in about 3,000 videos..

And I actually wanted to take it a step further to get even better at it, and I performed stand up comedy about 8 times (that was a challenging but worthwhile pursuit)

Now I'm no Tony Robbins (yet).. But all in all, learning how to emphasize and speak in a persuasive tone is a GREAT investment, and I'd recommend anyone who's getting into presenting whether on cold calls or in social media to not read anything about it before hand, and instead just jump in the water and start creating as time goes on.

After a while you become unconsciously competent in it.

Last edited:

luminis_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Aug 27, 2022
Regarding the Q about not knowing your product / market fit - Absolutely, I think it can be a fantastic tool for market research - if it were me I would come up with a very generic problem I could think of in a market and open with that, in an ideal world they might agree that it is an issue, and boom you’re onto something.

If they say it’s not an issue, however, a great fall back I love to use is “okay, great to hear that’s not an issue for you. Out of interest, if you had a magic wand you could wave to remove any problem in the business relating to X, what would it be?”
Let's say they respond with "yes, that's exactly the problem I am facing" - how would you respond? Would you try booking a longer meeting to discuss the problem further?

SeeYouAtTheTop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jul 12, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Let's say they respond with "yes, that's exactly the problem I am facing" - how would you respond? Would you try booking a longer meeting to discuss the problem further?
Go right into discovery.

Start asking questions to qualify if they're a fit for your product/service and begin digging into their pain points.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I know people who swear by up front research and it can definitely be useful in certain scenarios, but I prefer to spend as little time researching and as much time on the phone as that’s where the money is made. I go in with the assumption that if the information is relevant enough, they will tell me if I ask the right questions.

The reason I ask is lots of folks seem to be cold calling when they've never spoken to anyone yet. They haven't made use of their current network to get warm introductions first.

How easy is it for someone brand new to business and sales to cold call and get results? What ducks do they need to have lined up first?

Whenever I get asked about cold-calling I never know what threads to refer people to. Are there others in here that I can collect into a master thread along with this one?

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Go right into discovery.

Start asking questions to qualify if they're a fit for your product/service and begin digging into their pain points.
Bang on the money. A simple question like “could you elaborate on that and/ or give me a specific example of when this happened?” Can open up a whole load of routes to go down.

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK
The reason I ask is lots of folks seem to be cold calling when they've never spoken to anyone yet. They haven't made use of their current network to get warm introductions first.

How easy is it for someone brand new to business and sales to cold call and get results? What ducks do they need to have lined up first?

Whenever I get asked about cold-calling I never know what threads to refer people to. Are there others in here that I can collect into a master thread along with this one?
There are a lot of variables. It is absolutely possible for someone to get results quickly, but it depends on what that person defines as ‘results’.

If we are assuming that results means acquiring new business in this instance then yes it’s viable that success can come quickly, but it’s an extremely steep learning curve and luck will probably have to play a part.

The key, like most things, is repetition. What made the difference in my performance compared to my peers when I was starting out was that I broke it all down to find what could progress me the quickest.

I worked out that more leads lead to more calls per day which meant more conversations which gave me more opportunity to develop my craft and make money. So, I always started with sourcing leads and built from there.

The more conversations you have per day, the quicker you will advance, so ultimately it depends on how much you want it.

I don’t know of any threads on here as such but I would recommend any videos or books by Chris Voss, his content is fantastic.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
From my experience if we’re talking about purely cold approches, no pipeline building, then cold calling is probably the most effective way to drum up business.

HOWEVER — the shortcoming of cold calling is that it doesn’t scale. I’ve got no problems to cold call because I’m a ninja on the phone, but when I try to get other people to do it, they do a terrible job, even with my script. Since tonality/reactions aren’t so easy to train.

But your goal as a business owner isn’t to cold call and chase clients. You shouldn’t think about how can I get 1 customers — you should think about how you can build a pipeline of 100+ customers for your business.

When you begin thinking volume, then you usually realize that you have to stop being a hunter chasing after prospects, and have to become a farmer, who plants, nurtures and harvests clients when they’re ready.

Instead of instant sale, think about how you can get someone into your world (plant), nurture them with value, and then keep hitting them with CTAs to schedule a sales call.

Harvesting them is largely a function of putting a trigger in front of them enough times. At one point, the trigger will hit them when they are highly motivated to act, and if that action is simple, they will do it.

Then you can just close them, and it’s straight forward and easy since by that point they already know enough about you.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
You know that moment you are curious about someone. And then you find out they are curious about you?

Screenshot_20230320-141605~2.png :eyes:

Is there a future bromance brewing here or what?

Welcome to the forum @cornishpasty . Way to step up and drop some knowledge.

This dude's been here a week and he's already outscoring me in the new power rankings. :rofl:

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI
Like this. I'll add my knowledge from cold-calling as a Realtor and Agency owner.

This is a sales call, would you like to hang up or give me a couple of minutes?"

I also say, "I'll be honest Jim, this is a cold-call. Would you like to hang up now or give me 30 seconds and you can decide if you still want to end this call?"

If the prospect chooses to continue, you MUST get straight to the point like you said.

Personally, I like 2 call closes. (Call once to set-up a time for a longer call/meeting) But some prospects are able to be closed on the first one.

You have to have the juevos to close on that call if they are truly interested.

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK
You know that moment you are curious about someone. And then you find out they are curious about you?

View attachment 47740 :eyes:

Is there a future bromance brewing here or what?

Welcome to the forum @cornishpasty . Way to step up and drop some knowledge.

This dude's been here a week and he's already outscoring me in the new power rankings. :rofl:
I can feel it brewing… thanks for the kind words, glad people have found some value in this thread.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.