The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

90 Day Cold Calling Challenge

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 22 Summary

Dials: 40
Reached: 16 (40%)
Leads: 2 (12.5%)
Prospects: 0 (0%)

Pretty average day in "the office" - most people not interested but did get couple of leads by staying persistent and getting their emails.

I feel like the thing I could improve is my vibe and energy - I am calling in the mornings and I am using a free space in uni where other people are walking by, and I guess those things make me a bit timid. But I also feel like these things come with momentum - since I haven't made any sales yet from calling, I don't feel as energetic, but I feel like when that first sale comes, I might be way more energetic and confident.

Crazy GG

P.S. This morning I had my first "official" sales call with a prospect which lasted an hour. The guy seemed very interested, a bit demanding but overall seems like a good prospect. I quoted him a price and he said he will sleep on it and get back to me tomorrow. I really hope this turns into a sale. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 24 Summary

Dials: 20
Reached: 9 (45%)
Leads: 0 (0%)

Today I decided to switch around the script and make it more gradual.

Hi, is this x? .My name is Crazy GG - I was just calling because I am a young entrepreneur from Bristol and I wanted to reach out to you...

Most people allow me to go ahead after this and I think it buys me a bit more attention but on the other hand it leaves people confused at first, so it might not be that good.

Today I also decided to try to "flip the switch" when addressing common objections I get. For example, a lot of people say "I have too much work already" and I replied "I actually try to get you less work". Some of the people are really taken aback by this and then I explain that what I try to do is to get them better-paying customers so they have to take less work. It didn't work that well today but I think there is potential.

Also, I talked to one of the plumber leads today and he took me apart really good. Basically he asked how I can improve on his current site and I told him that I can improve 1) copywriting 2) the actual design 3) add brand story and hence get him more customers to which he then asked me - "can your new site get more than 200 calls/day" to which I didn't know how to respond. He then went on to say that I can't sell him a site without SEO and that I need to research more about the plumbing industry to sell him anything. How would you guys handle this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 27 Summary

Dials: 22
Reached: 8 (36.36%)
Leads: 1 (12.50%)

From yesterday's feedback, my biggest goal today was to stop the "Uhms" and I paid a lot of attention to that. When I listened to my recording, it seemed like I did improve but I know I need to pay a lot more attention to that in the next following days so it becomes a habit.

I also noted that whenever a person says a "No" in one form or another, I lot of times I jump to prove my point instead of agreeing with them, validating their point and only then sharing my opinion. This is the second thing I need to work on.

I will share another recording in a couple of days so you guys can hear the actual progress. I feel like doing it every day might be too much, and maybe you would be able to note an actual difference if there are a couple of days in between.

Crazy GG

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
705%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hi @Crazy GG.

I've just read the gold thread that i think you could benefit from:
GOLD! - CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

The tip that struck me most (from your business perspective) is that @Sean Marshall instead of calling clients directly, did this:

It's kind of like the 'ol fishing with a net thing. By approaching one person that has access to many people, I saved time. Plus, I came in with a recommendation. Win the top person over and they'll sing your praises to their people.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
451%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
the plumbers said they considered anything related to online a waste of time and they said they are getting enough work anyways

Congratulations on the sale, much deserved.

I'm wasting some time so figured I'd write something -- one of the big things I noted from your earlier posts, and also what @Stargazer posted, was that you're dealing with people who don't really want a website. My uncle is a garden landscaper (for whom I made a website, incidentally) and basically didn't want to renew it because he gets all his work from Yellow Pages. In fact, his site is powered by them now (which I wasn't privy to before): https://www.davelargelandscaping.co.uk/

If you are still persisting down the sole-trader route, I think there's certainly scope for growth... but I think the REAL kicker for them is online REPUTATION management... dealing with Trustpilot (or the equivalent in their industry), Yellow Pages reviews, online branding and other stuff.

The big sell will be "you may not care about online but your customers do - I'm able to provide management for your online reviews / reputation for a single one-off fee. Think of it as a "spring clean" for anything you're doing online. I remove bad reviews, make sure you're properly represented in Yellow Pages for $x"

Maybe that could provide some ideas.

On top of that, you need to look into BNI - that's RIFE with tradespeople looking for business. It's a ballache to attend but the quality of leads is incredible.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Apr 4, 2016
Day 39 Summary

One of the leads was very adamant about knowing how much it is going to cost. He said he has many designer friends and they can do it for x pounds, so what can I do it for?

Crazy GG

Have a rebuttal lined up....

" I understand where you are coming from but things that are cheap now may cost you a LOT of money down the road. Lost contracts, not being found on google due to bad web design. There is a difference between a 50$ tattoo and a 500$ tattoo. For my last client, I helped him achieve this.....where he was losing money here.....

or use this

"Every business is different and every business owner has a different vision which is why I can't give you a price right now without understanding what the business needs and what you are trying to achieve....lets talk"

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Update

So I have had a bit of time to reflect on my cold calling challenge and journey itself.

Results

Even though I didn't achieve my main goal which was to have a sustainable business at the end of 3 months, I still achieve goals #1 and #2 which was mostly about taking important action every day.

I feel like my method and execution wasn't the best but I got over stage 1 which holds most people back for most of their lives - fear.

As for the results themselves - even though I got only 1 client, it was the first client ever from cold calling. Also, in total I managed to send out 5 proposals from which I am still awaiting 1 response.

I also received my first ever referral (it was from that 1 cold calling client) and I am also awaiting his response for a proposal.

Mistakes

One mistake I made in the beginning was not being direct enough. I thought if I will be speaking more and general then it will sound less like a cold call which obviously didn't produce many results.

Another mistake was focusing too much on just completing the task, not doing it well. I think it's important to not be a perfectionist but I was too focused on just making the call rather than actually making a GOOD call (and trying to close). Part of it was that I didn't believe in myself.

Future

In the next following weeks, I will test a bit different approach.

@Stargazer has suggested approaching accountants and offering them a free site which I will do.

I will also begin my prospecting by Facebook outreach (warm intro + qualifying the leads since if they have a good FB page they probably care about their online presence) and follow up with a call.

Big thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. I really think my journey has just started.

I might make another execution thread in a while but for now I will disappear into the trenches and try to make something happen.

P.S. Is anyone looking for an accountability partner?

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
Another thing I forgot to say:

When you tell them what you do...

Make it niche specific.

Don't say "I help businesses get more clients"

Say "I help florists get more wedding jobs"

Say "I help dentists get new patients to walk through their doors"

Say "I help mechanics get more cars in the shop"

Or in your case with the social media or branding or whatever you're doing, say "I help local florists get more jobs through social media campaigns. Especially more weddings"

That will floor them and their ears will automatically open up. They don't care about "I help businesses get more clients"

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
What do you mean plumbers?

One man bands or small plumbing companies looking to grow?

The former you are probably wasting your time if where you live is anything like the UK.

There is a reason they ignore calls and bugger off half way through your job to do another one. There is a reason we say 'you can never get a good any tradesmen type'

It is because they have no end of work irrespective of their websites being bad or even existing.

So they definitely don't need your help.

A small company sitting at number two or three in town though is a different kettle of fish. They want to be number one. They have big overheads, staff diaries to fill up etc.

Are you calling the former or the latter group? If the former change to the latter group.

Dan

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 4 Summary

Reached: 10 (20%)
Leads: 1 (10%)

So today was a lot better in terms of keeping the conversations going. I had 4-5 conversations that were longer than 3 minutes, and the reason is that I try to ask as many questions as possible.

I only had 2 dropped phones which is quite good compared to other days!

Today I also discovered that there are plumbers that do care about their online presence. A lot more than you would think. A lot of them are quite familiar with SEO in general which means that there is some awareness out there.

The lead I got wasn't the best because he didn't explicitly say he needs a new site, but he said he's thinking about re-branding and doing a new logo (apparently he's a graphic designer on side) and I said I would be happy to help him out with building a new site, so he said to send over my details. I will try to follow up with him in the next couple of days.

Main thing to improve

I definitely need to improve on the type of questions I ask.

I am okay with getting them talk now but I am not developing any needs and I feel it's because I ask questions haphazardly and a lot of them are situational questions (if you're aware of the SPIN model).

Tomorrow I will look to improve on this.

Other than that, hopefully Friday will bring some more leads!

Cheers,

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 5 Summary

Dials: 23
Reached: 9 (39.1%)

Not the best day on the phone. Didn't reach many people and didn't get much out of the people I did reach.

People seemed to be put off by the idea of me wanting to ask questions as they see it as a waste of time, so possibly need to think of a more compelling opening line.

Still, the biggest thing to improve is my questions and getting plumbers to change their mind about online.

In the two solid conversations I did have today, the plumbers said they considered anything related to online a waste of time and they said they are getting enough work anyways.

When I asked if they thought whether a poor online presence (i.e. bad website) could speak negatively about their service (even to their referral customers), they even said yes but I didn't manage to build enough pain points.

Next week I will try to improve even more on my questions and possibly switch some things up in the opening line.

Have a great weekend guys,

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 10 Summary

Dials: 25
Reached: 10 (40%)
Leads: 1 (10%)

I took what other's said previously about not shying away from the fact I am selling and going in strong, so I changed my script to following:

Hi, this is Crazy GG. I was calling because I help plumbers stop losing their customers to competition. Can I just quickly say what I am about, and you can decide if you want to keep talking?

So couple of people said "not interested" and dropped the phone right away.

One person actually gave me permission to continue (to which I was pretty surprised and happy) but after my pitch he told me he's not interested.

I find that going in the sale like this you have to come off strong and you must know how to deal with the initial rebuttals at which I am not that good yet.

Using the indirect script I felt like I can get them to stay on the phone longer, but I will give this direct approach a shot for a couple of days since you guys recommended using it.

Overall in 2 weeks I still haven't made a sale but I am getting better each day, and I know it's coming. It's actually quite exciting because I haven't made a single sale in my life from cold calls yet (only from door2door and speaking events), and I really want to crack this nut and learn how to sell on the phone. If I can do that, I can sell from anywhere in the world and that's what keeps me coming back.

Have a good weekend guys,

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 17 Summary

Dials: 40
Reached: 9 (22.50%)
Leads: 1 (12.50%)

Before starting the calls today, I wrote above my script "The sales starts with a NO" in order to mentally prepare myself for the initial sales resistance. It seemed to help because I was expecting it and was able to continue the conversation.

Because of this, I was able to turn an initially "not-interested" lead into a semi-solid lead. It wasn't perfect by any means but the fact I did it made me feel like I am actually getting better at sales!

Other than that, most of the other people were not interested and stayed not interested. Part of the reason I feel is that they don't have the site to begin with which means that they are probably small and are not the ideal customer.

I am going to be honest, part of that is my eagerness to build the lists as fast as possible so I pretty much go for any business on Yellow pages and most of the businesses have no website there. I just don't want to overspend my time building lists and instead focus on just getting good on the phone. Once I am alright on the phone, I will focus on better leads. Otherwise I will spend a lot of time getting good lists and throwing them away with my inability to sell on the phone.

Crazy GG

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
You get better at sales by attempting to sell to the correct market not an incorrect market.

If you are phoning tradespeople from Yellow Pages in UK who do not have a website 25 years after companies started to get them then they 'probably' are not interested.

Your reach rate is about right for people picking up the phone but your conversion is zero if you want it in black and white. Your ethic is great though so don't take that too negatively.

These are Yellow Pages stats for selling websites to their client list through sheer call volume.

This was Telesales making calls out of Reading HQ under HIBU name when they came up with that stupid name.

400 dials a day = 2000 dials a week = 8 sales of basic website made by outsourced company in India for pittance. Moreover the sites are crap and the domain is owned by Yell so if the business cancels the ongoing monthly fee they do not even have the great domain they thought of.

Dan

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 23 Summary

Reached: 6 (30%)
Leads: 2 (33%)

Today I went to the networking event in the morning ( I wanted to try out something new). Since it was free and there were loads of people, I didn't manage to find any prospects but I did have some interesting conversations with some sales and marketing people. I even met Mark Wright (winner of Apprentice 2014 who now runs a 7-figure marketing agency). It was a nice reminder of what's possible and that I won't have to do cold calls for the rest of my life. Although it is not easy seeing a guy that successful with 200+ clients making millions while you're cold calling and not really getting anything. I guess it's a two way street.

I came back in the afternoon very tired and really didn't want to do the calls as I had loads of other things to do but I pushed myself to do the 20 dials to keep the challenge going.

Today nothing happened until the dials 19 and 20 which turned into leads, so a good reminder again to just keep going even if you don't feel like it.

I feel like I need to change my script up because even thought it's working okay, I am not extremely passionate about my current script which sort of translates into me not having enthusiasm as I mentioned yesterday.

Now I am onto the follow up calls. The potential sale didn't call me today, so I will call him myself and see what's going on.

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 25 Summary

Dials: 24
Reached: 9 (37.50%)
Leads: 1 (14.29%)

Because I had an interview for a part time sales job this morning at 10 AM, I knew I had to start making the calls before 9 AM. I always hesitate making them before 9 AM as I feel like it's sort of "out of business hours" but actually a lot more people picked up the phone than usual - 37.50% reach rate for me is pretty good.

About the calls - I have noticed recently that when I mention websites, a lot of people immediately say "I don't need any advertising". Even though related, having a website online is not really advertising and when I have trouble getting that across to the people I am talking to as most of them think website=advertising. In my opinion, having a good website speaks a lot about the quality of your work and sort of legitimizes your business, wouldn't you guys agree?

Do you have any ideas of how I could overcome this objection? Because I get it a lot.

Other than that, one of the follow ups is pending to be a £700 sale, he still wants to meet me, but I won't consider it a sale until I actually get some money in my bank account.

On to the follow up calls.

Have a great weekend!

Crazy GG

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Day 25 Summary

Dials: 24
Reached: 9 (37.50%)
Leads: 1 (14.29%)

Because I had an interview for a part time sales job this morning at 10 AM, I knew I had to start making the calls before 9 AM. I always hesitate making them before 9 AM as I feel like it's sort of "out of business hours" but actually a lot more people picked up the phone than usual - 37.50% reach rate for me is pretty good.

About the calls - I have noticed recently that when I mention websites, a lot of people immediately say "I don't need any advertising". Even though related, having a website online is not really advertising and when I have trouble getting that across to the people I am talking to as most of them think website=advertising. In my opinion, having a good website speaks a lot about the quality of your work and sort of legitimizes your business, wouldn't you guys agree?

Do you have any ideas of how I could overcome this objection? Because I get it a lot.

Other than that, one of the follow ups is pending to be a £700 sale, he still wants to meet me, but I won't consider it a sale until I actually get some money in my bank account.

On to the follow up calls.

Have a great weekend!

Crazy GG

I would try something like "you're absolutely right, you don't need advertising. You're very fortunate to be in that position. Let me ask you a question: has there ever been a time when business was slow, or dried up?"

Idea here is that you don't refute the stall, you just sidestep it. Maybe they have more business than they can handle at the moment, but I'm sure it wasn't always that way. I want them to remember what that feels like, so that it at least creates a crack in their strategy to get me off the phone.

Edit: I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I would do.

Last edited:

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 28 Summary

Reached: 8 (40%)
Leads: 4 (50%)

Okay, so today was definitely an eventful day.

Because I had a trial shift today at my work, I wanted to make the calls before so I started calling at 8AM. I managed to dial 13 numbers before I had to go and I already had 2 leads which was sick!

After I got back from work and ate, I was so, so tired but I had 7 more dials to make and I got 2 more leads.

I recorded the two last calls where I got the leads and uploaded on soundcloud again - could you guys take a look at them and share where am I missing?

The previous feedback definitely helped - I try to use less 'uhms' (obviously still have those) and I try to agree more with the person and build rapport.

Here is my opinion where I could improve:

1. I talk too much about myself (I am a young entrepreneur etc.) and I say that I can build a really nice site for not much money
    • Some people mentioned that you shouldn't take much about yourself as people are only interested in themselves which is very true, but I still find doing it since I think it builds a bit of trust. (he is an entrepreneur like myself instead of huge website company). With money thing the same.
    • Do you guys think I should leave it or switch it up?
  2. I don't push for the sale - I push for the email
    • When they sound interested, I usually say "I obviously don't expect you to make a decision right now - just take a look at it". The reason is that I feel like when they actually see what I have done, it will be a lot easier to sell them on it. The downside of it is that I am avoiding going for the sale and that I keep chasing them afterwards. I want to push for the sale but I think it's very unlikely they will go ahead without first seeing my work.
Looking forward to your feedback,

Crazy GG

P.S. Today's work was so f'in hard! It's 6 hours of approaching strangers in the mall to sell them photo-shoots. I thought that in cold calls they reject you without considering you - when you work in a stand people automatically ignore you. Even when I just said "hello", they would respond "not interested!" It's hard but I think there's a lot to learn and I can make a bit of money on the side so hopefully they will give me more shifts

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Missed it on Friday, but congrats on the first sale. I think they'll come easier now, since you're over that hump. It can be demoralizing to keep dialing and getting shut out, but once the money rolls in it's a little easier to believe in the power of the cold call.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 34 Summary

Reached: 5 (25%)
Leads: 1 (20%)
Prospects: 1 (100%)

As per yesterday, I am trying to hit the pain points early on in the conversation and not "wait" for the follow calls to do so.

On one call, it seemed like it was working but when the guy was about to give me his email - he just dropped the phone. I called him back but he didn't pick up. I have never had someone drop the phone at this point of conversation so that was a bit weird.

The highlight of today was that I talked to a pretty keen lead so I listed him as a prospect as he said he was interested in a new site. He is 66 and bad with tech, but he has been working in the industry for more than 40 years, so he must have a lot of local connections.

He said he would probably want something on a cheaper end, so I would probably just make him a one-page site but right now portfolio comes first and profit later!

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 35 Summary

Reached: 7 (35%)
Leads: 1 (14%)

Main lesson for today - don't deviate from the script!

Today (and in the past) after my initial line and their initial rebuttal, I find myself starting to improvise and not following my outlined script.

When I do, I start mumbling and of course the call doesn't go well.

So it's important that if you have prepared a script - FOLLOW IT.

It may not sound natural but it will still be better than you trying to improvise.

I really need to work on this because I always find a reason to improvise.

Of course, you cannot prepare for 100% of the situations but you definitely can for 80-90% and in those situations don't come up with new stuff - do that only before or after the calling sessions.

Crazy GG

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
How did delivery on your sale go?

Next time you close a deal, ask for a referral right away, as soon as the deal is inked. That's the highest point of the relationship, at least until you deliver stellar service (or the opposite....) so take advantage of it.

Another tactic to try: if you get some conversation but they ultimately come to a dead end, feel free to ask them for a lead. Something like "Well it sounds like you aren't a fit for my services at the moment, who do you know that is?"

Again, not an expert in sales but these tactics have produced a little fruit for me in the past.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 41 Summary

Reached: 5 (25%)
Leads: 1 (20%)

Today's Monday morning was a bit hard - had literally no energy and enthusiasm to pick up the phone. My tone and confidence was off but the challenge is a challenge so had no other choices but to make the calls.

Consequently the calls weren't the best of quality but I did talk to a guy briefly who told me he was looking to get a new site and told me to call back in a month.

Crazy GG

P.S. There is a sale pending - I am waiting for the deposit coming in to make it official. When I do, I will share all the details on the forum. I would give it 50/50 because even though the guy said he would do it, he sounded like a person who would talk to the wife and in those scenarios you never know :oops:

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Hey man, perhaps you can try other stuff while you keep cold calling. Like reaching out to companies that don't have a website but a facebook page. I just got called by a dude whom I sent a message in the Summer.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 46 Summary

Reached: 11 (55%)
Leads: 3 (27.2%)

Okay, so I made a very big change to my cold calling script.

Instead of asking about their website, I just say them "Look. I know you are doing very well with your business. I had a few things in mind that I think can help you. Would you be able to have a conversation next Wednesday 7?" and something of that variation

No bullshit, straight to the chase and most importantly - I don't talk about websites, I talk about their needs and problems.

Some people asked me what I do but I tried not to just say "I do websites" and sell my service as a commodity. Instead I told most of them that there's a lot I can do for them but I first need to understand where they are and what problems they are facing.

I didn't send them any emails, just told them I wanted to have a chat tomorrow or Wednesday.

Will see how those leads turn out but I actually feel a lot better about them than the ones I get the email from.

My advice to you guys - don't hide from the fact that you are selling something - they know it already. Most people focus on trying to sound like they are not really selling while the real focus should be to make what you are selling sound exciting and something that will really help them.

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 52 Summary (recorded)

Reached: 6 (30%)
Leads: 4 (66.67%)

Today was a good prospecting day (and I recorded it, too!).

I actually slept through my alarm today (woke up at 10 instead of 7), and I was in a good mood, so had lot more energy during my calls.

My main goal with the goal was to remain positive after objections (as @Maxboost and others had mentioned to me previously). This has been sticking point for me in the past, and I know I need to work on it.

Also, I am not qualifying during these calls anymore but just selling the follow up phone call.

Here is the recording

Let me know your thoughts.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 6 Summary

Reached: 14 (70%)

It's Monday again - which means I'm back at it!

Today I had a very good reach rate which means that my previous hypothesis that people don't pick up the phone on Mondays was wrong.

I continued with the previous week's script but the first couple of calls didn't get past the initial line. That was probably due to the fact that there is not much value for the person answering (who wants to give his/her opinion to a random person who sounds like a salesman).

I decided to switch up the opening line and make it shorter: Hi! I'm not a customer, I just had couple of questions about plumbing industry and I thought maybe you guys could help. Do you have two minutes?

After all people like to help out, and I thought this line doesn't sound so "salesy".

It worked a bit better and instead of people telling me they're not interested or dropping the phone, they hesitated and thought about what I was asking (which means I wasn't triggering the SALESMAN sensor as much)

About 3-4 people asked me to call back this evening as supposedly it wasn't a good time to talk, so will do that this evening.

Other than that, I had one solid conversation with a plumber who said he considers online presence very important for his business. Unfortunately he already is getting his site updated already but he might be a good lead if I decide to sell digital marketing services for plumbers down the road.

That's it for today. Hopefully I get something in the evening when I follow up with those 3-4 people.

Crazy GG

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
@Vilox hit the nail on the head. Make it clear you're trying to help them through your skillset, i.e. you are selling them, but don't open up with something other sales people would open up with.

You could even tell them you're selling $5 for $1. That will get their attention and win you points for not being a traditional salesperson. When they say "wait, what?" you tell them you're redoing websites and customers have a 5x ROI (probably best to use that once it's true).

Not sure where this conversations is supposed to go. Just tell them what you're about, but frame it in a way that's beneficial to them. Something along the lines of:

I help companies acquire and retain customers through the Internet vs. I build websites

Good job on keeping the streak going!

Could you please elaborate what do you mean by that?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.