The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

60 Days of 60 Minutes of Meditation - Let's Not Do Anything Together

Pard

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 30, 2020
Europe
Day five done.
There’s a rather loud second hand on the watch in the room I was today so I concentrated on that to avoid thinking too much.
It made the whole experience different.
Did not want to do this today for some reason but I am going to finish these sixty days-at least.

Matua

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Oct 4, 2020
Virginia
Day 6

Due to little to no sound in my environment, my mind immediately worked to fill up the silence with chatter.
They were mainly thoughts about: I gotta stop changing positions a lot so I can meditate properly, I really liked watching that specific YouTube video yesterday, Hmmm I wonder if I can create a video about chatterbox meditation that'd be cool.

Whenever I have any thoughts, I'd stop myself with silence or I would say to myself something like, "Okay that thought was interesting, so what's going on now (present)?" And then drift into silence, until the mind starts wandering on its own again.

I don't consider my meditation worse than yesterday, but it was slightly a bit more chattery. So, I don't waste any energy trying to stop thoughts. It's like trying to withhold an expression of yourself, and it will come out inevitably. I only stop them after I get a sense or feeling of them taking up too much time in the present.

For me, I let the thought tire itself out and let the mind become occupied by the environment and sounds that it won't generate as many thoughts.

It's hard to flip an internal switch when your mind wants to express itself, but only when it loses its substance and energy is when you can get back into that present state of mind.

It's 4:00 where i am, and i just finished Day 1.
Day 1 done

I NEEED this!
My mind has been so stressed out. It needs the rest. And this will be the break I could use.

Going to reward myself at day ten. And each consecutive milestone. Something small but a celebration none the less. Possibly a new seat cover for my truck!

Im really excited for this! I have plenty of meditations!!!!
Congratulations you two! Will wait for your Day 2 :)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@MTF so you are saying i should have focused intently on / in the massage and be really centered on the connection? that is what i normally do during a massage.

i heard from this thread (probably incorrectly) to 'let the thoughts come and go' as they please. knowing the deviousness of my own mind was my resistance to doing so.

@MTF @Sheens redirect me here...... so massage begins.
1. focus intently on 'nothingness'
2. focus intently on the massage
3. anti focus and let the lord of flies take hold
4. something else entirely

I'd go with two which is actually, in a way, a variation of meditation. Same with, say, taking with a friend. You want to experience it as it happens so you focus on the conversation, not random thoughts, something else entirely, or nothingness.

"Stereotypical" meditation sometimes called "formal practice" should be a separate activity done sitting somewhere alone in silence. Also, @Black_Dragon43 explained it well. It's a tricky thing to understand for me, let alone for a person with an engineering approach to life but it's just not 100% rational and can only be assimilated through practice.

To everyone else engaging in this thread - thank you! Glad to see it growing on its own with people exchanging their experiences.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
To everyone else engaging in this thread - thank you! Glad to see it growing on its own with people exchanging their experiences.
Yeah, what I love the most about it is that you guys are building a sort of lab where people are experimenting and sharing their results with meditation. There will be a lot of knowledge accumulated in this thread!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Day 7 completed.

Better than the previous days. Yet again I woke up way later than usual and that makes me anxious and affects my meditation (in addition to more sounds around at 8 AM compared to 6 AM).

XxThelionxX

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 26, 2017
Texas
Day 2 finished

Kind of doing it in a way to work on my problems.

Also, Going to dive deeper with meditation. There are people who know a lot about this. And it will be a way to stay passionate throughout the journey.

Last edited:

XxThelionxX

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 26, 2017
Texas
Day 2, 5:00 Am.
Random thoughts are popping into my head. As if its forcing me to look for a solution. I found it easier on day 1 to just acknowledge the thoughts and put them aside.
That's your mind. Just let go and go deeper.

Ma.Gico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Jun 7, 2020
Germany
Day 7 completed.

Was hard because of the noise. The interesting part was when a bad situation from the past came to mind and i noticed how my breath went crazy and kind of a strange feeling in my had.
So i had on what to focus during todays sesion.

Pard

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 30, 2020
Europe
Day six done.
Focused a bit on my breathing.
I am not going to search out any info about breathing or other things about yoga as I don’t want to read it to death.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Day 4 done.

I did it yesterday not too long after eating. The session was much less focused than what I am used to. My mind was much more active and all over the place.

I initially blamed the digestion. But it is not it. Whenever my mind goes too crazy, I focus on my breathing to recenter. But because I had just eaten, deep breathing was uncomfortable. At first, it was annoying to me, which increased the frustrated thoughts. But then I stopped doing it as frequently, and my mind was just going on.

I will drop focusing on breathing in the next few sessions. By focusing on my breath, I limit the space for my thoughts to come & go.

I feel like a prisoner in my head. I can't stop the thoughts from coming. I struggle not to follow them. The best I can do is perhaps 5-10 seconds of non-thinking. Then there's another thought. Sometimes I stop following them quickly. I refocus on my breath, usually for a brief second only for another thought to bother me. Sometimes I fall into a longer cycle of thinking and catch myself after probably 30-60 seconds.

I keep planning, pondering ideas, and doing anything but being in the present moment. It's largely the same in whatever activity I perform at a given moment except for some activities I love the most which I can't do back where I now am (which further makes me frustrated).

Anyway, I guess that's what meditation for beginners is. An extremely frustrating experience with perhaps brief moments of "a-ha" followed by another round of thought vomit.

Meditation is not emptying your mind. This is a myth. In fact, aiming to clear your mind is the opposite of what meditation is.

It is truly about being a witness to your own thoughts. They come and go. You notice them and let them go. With time you will have more space between thoughts where nothing comes through. Sort of moments of actual silence. In the 80/20 philosophy, those moments of silence are the 4% that give 90%+ of the results.

Maybe you can try to set an intention before starting. Just acknowledge to yourself that you will have thoughts, and you will get distracted. And that's is ok.

@MTF so you are saying i should have focused intently on / in the massage and be really centered on the connection? that is what i normally do during a massage.

i heard from this thread (probably incorrectly) to 'let the thoughts come and go' as they please. knowing the deviousness of my own mind was my resistance to doing so.

@MTF @Sheens redirect me here...... so massage begins.
1. focus intently on 'nothingness'
2. focus intently on the massage
3. anti focus and let the lord of flies take hold
4. something else entirely

I will say 2, but I will remove intently. focus intently on the massage.

I feel like adding intensity makes things more difficult. Because then you have expectations that bother you. "I should focus on intently? Am I focusing enough? I should focus more? why I am thinking? I should be focusing? Intently" kind of chatter.

But based on your exchanges with @Sheens and @MTF, I feel like they want you to try the other way of meditation, the let go of control type.

Last edited:

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
I hope that makes a bit more sense. So the idea is to be openly aware of your mind, without interfering. So I don't think "focus" is the right word, because "focus" to me suggests you're trying to take control of your mind. So if you "focus" on the massage, that suggests to me you will try to not allow any thoughts into your mind that don't have to do with the massage, and I don't think that's the goal of meditation.

At the same time, "anti-focus" isn't it either, because you don't want to be day-dreaming or falling asleep, ie becoming unconscious or unaware. You need to be intensely aware of the passing and going of thoughts, without following them, without giving more energy to them. Think of the way you'd observe a game of tennis if you're really into it. You'd be absorbed watching the movement of the ball from one person to another, but you wouldn't be interfering with it. You just watch. The idea is to do the same only that turned inwards. Instead of watching something outside of you, you watch your mind inside of you.

Another good way of thinking about is going to a restaurant - well pre-covid.

There is background noise. It is there all the time, sometimes the volume increases, sometimes it decreases. You know it is there, but you don't pay attention to it. You don't try to focus, you don't try to shut it down.

If there is a loud noise, like glass that falls and shatters, then your attention gets focused on that. There is still the background noise that is there and that you don't notice. But then, everything goes back to what it was, all background noise.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Meditation is not emptying your mind. This is a myth. In fact, aiming to clear your mind is the opposite of what meditation is.

It is truly about being a witness to your own thoughts. They come and go. You notice them and let them go. With time you will have more space between thoughts where nothing comes through. Sort of moments of actual silence. In the 80/20 philosophy, those moments of silence are the 4% that give 90%+ of the results.

Maybe you can try to set an intention before starting. Just acknowledge to yourself that you will have thoughts, and you will get distracted. And that's is ok.

After I posted my post I considered editing it as I was aware that it might have been interpreted wrongly. I meant that during a bad session I'm unable to witness the thoughts as something separate. I let them completely drive my focus away. I'm not trying to completely erase thoughts as I know this doesn't work. But still appreciate your insights!

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • Wanted to share some things I have learned from my own meditation practice since 2014
    • When I meditated before, I used to expect to have a certain feeling from it
    • Sometimes I forced or tried very hard to get to a certain state
    • I invite you hard chargers to try softer and to let go of the expectations of what the result should "feel" like
  • We recently got some snow in the Northeast and I saw this big pickup truck spinning out...
    • The guy driving it kept putting the pedal to the metal and it didn't help him one bit
    • Do the mental/spiritual equivalent of putting yourself on Drive 2/2nd gear and press the pedal lightly
1608475536509.png

Last edited:

Matua

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Oct 4, 2020
Virginia
Day 7

It was a generally peaceful, calm, and quiet session for me. There wasn't much to think about, but thoughts did come and go and I focused on different things from my environment. But when 30-35 minutes came in, I experienced something really fascinating.

I believe I may have experienced The Flow State of Mind by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. This happened because I was really in tuned with my environment that for just a few minutes I really felt good about myself.
I could feel and still express my thoughts, but it felt "muffled" as if the entire environment has overtaken and drowned my thoughts. When you don't have to think much about anything, even when the thoughts do come, you're just there. You're sitting and letting things go as you observe, it was such an incredible moment I couldn't help but smile.

Then the blissful thoughts came in which did take me out of that state, so then I thought to myself, "Okay, that was an amazing moment, but now I have to let these blissful thoughts go." And my meditation ended there with a happy note.

While this is in no way a definitive way to get into The Flow State, I will put down how I got there today:
  • Get into a comfortable position where you don't move at all for 20-30 minutes.
    • (It doesn't have to be perfect. Even I had to switch positions 2-3 times for my entire meditation)
  • Sit up straight, but never to the point of feeling uncomfortable or feeling the rigidness of your back. Be as comfortable as you can get it to.
  • Imagine as if someone is lifting you up from the ground, so position yourself in that way.
  • Accept yourself for what you are. Thoughts will come up and go, so let them run their course. If there's nothing to think about, then there's simply nothing to think about. If your thoughts feel as if they ran out of energy, you can shift your attention to the present moment, because your mind won't have any resistance to fight you. The more it resists, the more futile you attempt to stop it.
  • If you did an act of kindness/generosity the day before, it may affect your thoughts to start the day to become more content and at peace. This is a great way to attain a sense of gratitude, appreciation, and calmness to start your meditation.
  • If there's nothing to think about, be content in the present and curious of what's happening around you.
The benefits meditation has given me so far for this past week made me much more aware of my self than I know, and appreciating the little things in life. As a result of a week's meditation, I've been less irritable lately and I aim to keep it that way.

While I'm still learning new things along the way, I'm glad I got the chance to contribute and experience meditation with all of you!

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London

I think this is where I got a bit tangled with the instructions. I'd been happily focusing & re-focusing on my breath during meditations prior to this challenge, but this seemed like an invite to a free-for-all that I knew my brain would happily provide.

Earlier in this challenge (yes I'm in btw, always was, day 7 now, just prefer to move silently at first) I found myself split between free-flowing & then reflexively re-focusing on breath. It was kinda unsatisfying. After reading some of the later posts, I realised that there should be some level of detachment from the thoughts, & actually re-focusing on my breath was a way *to* detach for me, & bring me back to the present moment, that I was quite happy with, so I gave myself permission to just keep going with that & see what happened. If I was having a massage, I would totally just try & focus on that.

Then yesterday, part-way through, my brain got stuck on one point. I tried re-focusing on my breath repeatedly, but my brain wouldn't let it drop. I decided to let it go with it, & see what happened. It stayed on this one thing for the rest of the time. Kinda figured something out (or rather it was something I kinda already knew, but I just worked out how to articulate it succinctly), so I guess that's how meditation works for problem solving. I mean, my focus didn't stray!

To be fair, stuff like that I would work out normally, randomly during my day, maybe on a walk, or maybe when I should be doing work, or when I should be doing whatever I *am* managing to do, but should be doing faster, but am doing it super slowly cos I'm distracted. In that sense having scheduled times for my brain to crank through this stuff might be useful. Will have to wait to find out if that works!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I m out.
Because forcing me to metate an hour means a lot of stress to me, as it doesn’t fit into my daly routine.

But thanks for bringing me to meditation again after long years without.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I'm impressed with everyone's efforts here.

There seems to be a lot of discussion around difficulties quieting the mind. It is not a big deal. Let the thoughts flow if they want.

Some of you are talking about focusing on breathing. That is one great way to help slow the thoughts if this is the desire.

I personally like to place a screen in my internal vision. Then place an object in that screen that slowly spins in a pattern. The visual helps me more than sound.

Letting the mind wander is great as long as you are not directing it though.

Great job everyone!

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
One other method I use is my own personal landscape. I have a scene that has green grass in front, mountain with a defined path on the right, and a lake on the left. To get to the lake, I have to pass through trees and shrubs.

There is a buffalo that I pass on the way. I watch the actions of the buffalo to determine my own state of mind. Sometimes calm, sometimes agitated, or many other moods in between. This tells me what to pay attention to.

Sometimes I watch to see what is coming down the path.

I also use a beach scene. In front is blue and serene. To the left is fog. The other direction is clear. Move to the right the create my own adventure, to the left will be an adventure. I expect to learn something if I move into the fog.

The opportunities are endless. Create your own landscapes and play off of them.

Barracuda

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Jul 2, 2020
The Promenade Towers
Day 3, 5:29 Am
Sleeping earlier and getting enough shut-eye 100% affects my outcome of the meditation. If i don't get enough, i feel really tired. My thoughts then become very random and absurd, without any pattern or control whatsoever. And the state which you sleep at night matters too. I noticed if i go to bed anxious, i wake up anxious. Thus, meditating in that state is really hard.
I also noticed that to get the best experience, i should start slowly with deep breaths. This lowers my anxiety and i feel more in control.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Day 8 completed.

The first half was calm and nice. The second half was horrible. I was very uncomfortable physically (I was very hot and very sleepy) and that made meditation extremely hard.

Thanks for your thoughts, @SteveO. I used the mental image a little today (walking down a beach).

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Day 13 completed.

This time I tried laying down in my bed and it feel much easier compared to doing it in my chair. At the end it felt a bit long, but overall super good. I think is key for those doing this first thing in the morning to have a really good sleep before, otherwise your mind will really feel that lack of sleep and fill it up with extra "mental garbage".

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
One other method I use is my own personal landscape. I have a scene that has green grass in front, mountain with a defined path on the right, and a lake on the left. To get to the lake, I have to pass through trees and shrubs.

There is a buffalo that I pass on the way. I watch the actions of the buffalo to determine my own state of mind. Sometimes calm, sometimes agitated, or many other moods in between. This tells me what to pay attention to.

Sometimes I watch to see what is coming down the path.

I also use a beach scene. In front is blue and serene. To the left is fog. The other direction is clear. Move to the right the create my own adventure, to the left will be an adventure. I expect to learn something if I move into the fog.

I do this too sometimes with a beach scene and the sound of the ocean, I started doing it when I played tennis to concentrate in tough moments in training (10 km fast run or very paintful physical situations haha).

What my mom does which I find interesting is she visualizes a white wall in order to increase focus.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Does the time laying in bed sleepless with random thoughts count as Meditation?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
So, I'm no expert here but have done this for a while.

I do the same thing everytime to get into the proper mode. Anybody can use any technique they desire, this just works for me.

Regardless of which direction, image or landscape, I go in the same way.

Picture the inside of a cabin with as much detail as possible. Have a door that goes to a basement with 4 steps down. Each step down takes me deeper into a trance. Each one is letting go of thoughts and distractions. I count down backwards on the decent. Your mind should be clear by the final step. There is a door at the bottom which exits outside into the landscape or scene of your choice.

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
Days 8 completed.

The first week went fast!

The 60 min are so different from each other day to day. Goal is to be like @SteveO by the end where my mind has it's own consistent way to go and then can choose a version of nothing, or a white room (partial to that right now), or a landscape and walk.. visualizations, mindfulness, meditation.. any and all could be the best for that hour.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
I personally like to place a screen in my internal vision. Then place an object in that screen that slowly spins in a pattern. The visual helps me more than sound.

One other method I use is my own personal landscape. I have a scene that has green grass in front, mountain with a defined path on the right, and a lake on the left...

I also use a beach scene...

Picture the inside of a cabin with as much detail as possible....

Wow - are you one of those people that doesn't have an internal verbal monologue because you think in pictures?

I find people like that amazing to comprehend, because I'm so auditory based. I can picture a thing, but often struggle to hold an image for long.

Matua

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Oct 4, 2020
Virginia
Day 8

Although I haven't reached that Flow state today from yesterday's meditation, I was mostly at calm and peace with my self. Even when I get the occasional chatter during the middle-section of my time meditating, I ended the meditation on a good note:

I gave my self into my surroundings by sound and silence. I let the sounds and the environment overtake me and become immersed into presence. I could feel the seconds and minutes passing by slowly towards the end. When time felt as if it gone by quickly, I slowed down by trying to take in everything as I could.

Just like @SteveO said, we all have more or less, similar views about meditation, but the way we approach it is different for everyone and that's totally okay. It's really interesting to see how you guys do it differently, whether it's focusing on sound, no sound, or on visual imagery.

With that said, @SteveO your way of meditation is really unique and I should definitely try it and see how that goes!

I m out.
Because forcing me to metate an hour means a lot of stress to me, as it doesn’t fit into my daly routine.

But thanks for bringing me to meditation again after long years without.
That's totally fine! Mental health always takes priority above all else. If it's too overwhelming for you, don't force it on yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.