The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

6 Figures in 12 Months! How to Free Yourself from Wage Slavery

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I'd like to give back to the community in the form of an executable business idea that I have personally been a part of and watched grow. This was my first encounter with entrepreneurship and I was witness to the success and failures.

This is NOT a Fastlane idea but it could become that. Rather, it is here for anyone to execute (very well!) and free themselves from having to answer to a boss. This could then become your springboard to (relatively passive) income for other ventures in life.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no interest in this idea but I have seen it implemented and used to generate a six figure income in under a year. YMMV.

Idea: Open your own recruiting firm

The Need: companies all over the US (and I'm sure in other countries) have a desperate need for well-qualified rockstar employees. Most of what employers have to sort through is low quality or not exactly what they need. This isn't true in all industries but if you've ever watched "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe, or worked in a non-tech industry then you know that the need exists.

The Model: Your company is the Golden Child middleman bringing solid to rockstar employees to employers for a fee (depending on the industry, anywhere from 15% to 20% of the first year's salary, including signing bonuses). You guarantee to the employer that your finds will be well vetted, the right fit, and will make them money over the life of the hire (cost savings to the employer from reduced search time, reduced downtime/make do work while finding the employee, which translates into money saved).

Edit: Thanks to @miked_d for another angle:

If your niche supports it, such as IT, you can offer short term contract work to employers for a premium, and if they work out then you can also charge a percentage of the annual salary if permanently hired.

Your VALUE PROPOSITION:

* I will save you time and $ on the search process
* My candidates will, if hired, prove to be assets and not liabilities to the team
* I can provide high quality short term employees as needed (industry-specific)
* I will provide a six month employer satisfaction guarantee with my candidate if hired.
* My staff is well trained, customer (both candidate and employer) oriented, and knowledgeable. No crap submissions (You would not believe how much most recruiting firms suck!)

The Challenges:

* Information withholding: you will have to source candidates without telling them where the job is. This can be problematic and if they find out where your job is, you're out of luck.

* You don't get paid until people get placed. Unless you can figure out a model where people pay you to place their resumes. Will need several months of salary once you get beyond being a one-person shop.

* Lead generation is your most important activity. Cold calling, cold email, web generation, paid search, etc. Can get expensive.

* Excellent cold callers/recruiters. Trust me, the vast majority of the people in this industry are just plain stupid or ignorant. If you want to be seriously successful, you're going to have to recruit rockstars and pay them accordingly (FYI, I was excellent at this and know what I'm talking about. Met lots of my colleagues...eh).

* Challenges from Monster.com, et. al.

The Path to Victory: Be EXCELLENT (underpromise, overdeliver). Provide OUTSTANDING, NO QUESTIONS ASKED customer service. Be ethical. Place the needs of the candidate AND the employer above your own and you WILL rock. Seriously.

Niche: Pharmaceutical industry
- Drug companies
- CTOs (clinical trial organizations - they run the Phase Trials to enable drug development)
- Medical practices that participate in clinical trials (often need Project Coordinators (RNs) to run the study)

Niche: Technology (web developers, coders, etc)

Niche: Mechanics (or any skilled tradesman)

Open to any and all questions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Recruiters are a major part of hiring in the IT industry.

You missed one very lucrative angle. Providing contract workers to companies. Many companies need a position filled for a short time. These companies pay the recruiter directly. I believe the average markup is 30%.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Here is something I've thought about in the past. Instead of charging the employers 15-20%, do you think there would be a way to charge the candidate as well? The candidate would only pay once they get a job?

For some reason I thought of how recruiting is kind of similar to real estate brokers, who are pretty much a middleman to the transaction. There are both buyers agents and sellers agents in a real estate deal, but in a hiring deal there are not two sides. In a real estate deal, the commission gets split between the buyer and seller agents.

I had a hard time trusting a recruiter before, because they got paid when I got placed, so I felt they would just try to jam me in somewhere to get their cut. I was trying to think of ways that there could be valid two party representation, without it feeling like a conflict of interest. I thought that maybe splitting the fee between the company and the employee could work, so the employee would pay like 5% and the company would pay 10%?

Just a random idea, it might not have any merit. Thoughts?

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
There's already a fierce competition in my country for this type of service.

Here is something I've thought about in the past. Instead of charging the employers 15-20%, do you think there would be a way to charge the candidate as well? The candidate would only pay once they get a job?

For some reason I thought of how recruiting is kind of similar to real estate brokers, who are pretty much a middleman to the transaction. There are both buyers agents and sellers agents in a real estate deal, but in a hiring deal there are not two sides. In a real estate deal, the commission gets split between the buyer and seller agents.

I had a hard time trusting a recruiter before, because they got paid when I got placed, so I felt they would just try to jam me in somewhere to get their cut. I was trying to think of ways that there could be valid two party representation, without it feeling like a conflict of interest. I thought that maybe splitting the fee between the company and the employee could work, so the employee would pay like 5% and the company would pay 10%?

I would not pay a recruiter to find a job for me. I would be really desperate if I would pay a recruiter, meaning that I can't find a job after a long time of searching. And precisely these type of candidates are not attractive for recruiters.

Actually, the hardest part of this job is not so much finding the open positions, rather finding the right candidates. And that's where good recruiters set themselves apart from the competition: by building good relationships with the candidates, timely responses and updates, etc. So that the candidate will recommend this particular recruiter to friends or colleagues. That's when you are one step ahead of the competition.

I know, because I've talked to plenty recruiters and can definitely tell the difference.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
This actually crossed my mind in the past. The last company I worked for ended up hiring only 1 out of 27 people they interviewed. So much wasted time and money on the interview process. We're talking hours of employees' time; employees who get paid six figures. It's so hard for companies to find good software people. That's been my experience. Most candidates are just not worth the time.

Another feature of a company like this would be personality-screening. Some companies will have you fill out a personality test to see if you would be a good fit. I've only had to do this once, but I thought it was a great idea.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Yep, Iwokeup. Been a recruiter for most of my career. I don't like a recruiting firm as a fastlane idea these days because it's so competitive and commoditised, and it's an extremely hard business to scale and manage effectively as it's so hard to hire and keep good recruiters. If they leave most of their clients walk right out the door with them, and even a half-competent recruiter will get a job offer anywhere he feels like. That's if they even perform in the first place. And asset value requires a stable long-term client base...but big companies usually make awful clients for any sophisticated recruiting firm.

However, the UK recruitment market is the most competitive and commoditised in the world. YMMV in other markets. I get nowhere near as much price pressure dealing in the USA, Canada or Germany as I do here.

But, yeah, as a way to trade money for time on a high value basis to build capital...absolutely. I was going to launch a SaaS business but after looking into it thoroughly, at the moment it's far too expensive and with too much against me as I have next to no money. As soon as I have the cash to quit my job I'm going to do exactly this, because, like you say, you can make well over 100k a year and you can run a one man recruiting firm with overheads of less than £100 a month if you want to. I did it for a very short period between jobs (had no cashflow) and these were my expenses:

£25/month - Vonage VOIP phone with free international calls. A lot cheaper if you don't need to call internationally.
£25/month - virtual office address in central London
£7/month - Outlook 365 subscription
£7 - company logo from LogoGarden
£15 - Ltd company registration

£79 expenditure, £8500 income for one month's work when I eventually got paid long after I needed to get another job because the cash ran out.

It's a far harder job to do well than people generally realise, but an excellent grounding for entrepreneurial skills IMO. Personally I'm going to use it as a test base to nail social media marketing, content writing etc for future endeavours too.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico

Applicant Paid Fee is actually how the industry got started all those years ago. :)

In the UK it's illegal for a recruitment agency to charge candidates for the service, not sure about elsewhere. There are merits to charging candidates for the service in certain circumstances I think (if you're working on their behalf to find them a position, rather than the other way around). But, if anything, charging BOTH sides at the same time would create a massive conflict of interest. The client is paying you to deliver the best candidates. You can't do that if you're limited to the few that would agree to pay you to place them.

There are companies (like InterExec) that act as "talent agents" for executive candidates, scouting out opportunities for them on a continual basis and who charge the candidate instead of the company. Might be one to look at if you like that business model.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I'd like to give back to the community in the form of an executable business idea that I have personally been a part of and watched grow. This was my first encounter with entrepreneurship and I was witness to the success and failures.

This is NOT a Fastlane idea but it could become that. Rather, it is here for anyone to execute (very well!) and free themselves from having to answer to a boss. This could then become your springboard to (relatively passive) income for other ventures in life.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no interest in this idea but I have seen it implemented and used to generate a six figure income in under a year. YMMV.

Idea: Open your own recruiting firm

The Need: companies all over the US (and I'm sure in other countries) have a desperate need for well-qualified rockstar employees. Most of what employers have to sort through is low quality or not exactly what they need. This isn't true in all industries but if you've ever watched "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe, or worked in a non-tech industry then you know that the need exists.

The Model: Your company is the Golden Child middleman bringing solid to rockstar employees to employers for a fee (depending on the industry, anywhere from 15% to 20% of the first year's salary, including signing bonuses). You guarantee to the employer that your finds will be well vetted, the right fit, and will make them money over the life of the hire (cost savings to the employer from reduced search time, reduced downtime/make do work while finding the employee, which translates into money saved). Your VALUE PROPOSITION:

* I will save you time and $ on the search process
* My candidates will, if hired, prove to be assets and not liabilities to the team
* I will provide a six month employer satisfaction guarantee with my candidate if hired.
* My staff is well trained, customer (both candidate and employer) oriented, and knowledgeable. No crap submissions (You would not believe how much most recruiting firms suck!)

The Challenges:

* Information withholding: you will have to source candidates without telling them where the job is. This can be problematic and if they find out where your job is, you're out of luck.

* You don't get paid until people get placed. Unless you can figure out a model where people pay you to place their resumes. Will need several months of salary once you get beyond being a one-person shop.

* Lead generation is your most important activity. Cold calling, cold email, web generation, paid search, etc. Can get expensive.

* Excellent cold callers/recruiters. Trust me, the vast majority of the people in this industry are just plain stupid or ignorant. If you want to be seriously successful, you're going to have to recruit rockstars and pay them accordingly (FYI, I was excellent at this and know what I'm talking about. Met lots of my colleagues...eh).

* Challenges from Monster.com, et. al.

The Path to Victory: Be EXCELLENT (underpromise, overdeliver). Provide OUTSTANDING, NO QUESTIONS ASKED customer service. Be ethical. Place the needs of the candidate AND the employer above your own and you WILL rock. Seriously.

Niche: Pharmaceutical industry
- Drug companies
- CTOs (clinical trial organizations - they run the Phase Trials to enable drug development)
- Medical practices that participate in clinical trials (often need Project Coordinators (RNs) to run the study)

Niche: Technology (web developers, coders, etc)

Niche: Mechanics (or any skilled tradesman)

Open to any and all questions.

I run an education centre, so i am basically the middleman between teachers and parents / clients ...same concept..... The concept is great on paper, i get paid while not perfoming the actual job and i get paid for one hour, the equivalent of work of several teachers ( i have 10 tutors, so i get paid 10 times / hour ) , i do think it's fastlane as you can scale ( open more branches ) you dont trade your time for money ( i am writing this but i still get paid as my tutors are working ) you have the element of control ...etc........BUT it has it's challenges as well so it's not as easy as it seems, and sorry to blow the bubble, but 6 figures in 12 months .........easier said than done, it's the kind of business that takes time to establish and be profitable in the first place, let alone 6 figures. here why :
- You need to find the qualified people that are willing to work for you knowing that they can do the same without you, so you really have to offer added value for them and establishing a name to your business is part of that, so they will know that having your name in their CV will be a huge plus.
- The operating cost as relatively high while establishing a name ( office space, office manager if you need one ..etc)
-Why would a pharmaceutical company hire you rather than put an ad on a newspaper and find a candidate ? Added value ....again,it takes time/ money to establish that and know the needs of every industry.

It's worth it in the long run, for me anyway, but it's not as easy as it might seem .
-

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Here is another question: what would you do if you got a really good candidate but had no place for them to go? How would you go about finding companies who need people for the types of position your candidate would fill?

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
ou missed one very lucrative angle. Providing contract workers to companies. Many companies need a position filled for a short time. These companies pay the recruiter directly. I believe the average markup is 30%
Great angle! I have edited the original post to reflect your contribution, Sir. Thank you!

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast

I agree. Trust is the key here.

I don't think that requiring potential candidates to split the fee makes sense. But I would consider offering them a guarantee as well: If the job doesn't turn out well and it's not due to malfeasance or non-performance, offering folks a guarantee that you'll work hard to find them another job might work.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Actually, the hardest part of this job is not so much finding the open positions, rather finding the right candidates. And that's where good recruiters set themselves apart from the competition: by building good relationships with the candidates, timely responses and updates, etc. So that the candidate will recommend this particular recruiter to friends or colleagues. That's when you are one step ahead of the competition.

I know, because I've talked to plenty recruiters and can definitely tell the difference.
Well said!

As mentioned in my original post, if your recruiting firm builds a reputation for providing outstanding customer service, and ICK-style love for your employer clients and potential candidates, that will become rapidly evident to everyone. I promise. Your firm will stand out light a lighthouse beam in the storm.

This is because there are very few firms out there that do provide that level of service. I am aware of one that deals with executives and high level scientists and they have an outstanding reputation and can charge higher fees. But they've earned it.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Yep, Iwokeup. Been a recruiter for most of my career. I don't like a recruiting firm as a fastlane idea these days because it's so competitive and commoditised, and it's an extremely hard business to scale and manage effectively as it's so hard to hire and keep good recruiters. If they leave most of their clients walk right out the door with them, and even a half-competent recruiter will get a job offer anywhere he feels like. That's if they even perform in the first place. And asset value requires a stable long-term client base...but big companies usually make awful clients for any sophisticated recruiting firm.

However, the UK recruitment market is the most competitive and commoditised in the world. YMMV in other markets. I get nowhere near as much price pressure dealing in the USA, Canada or Germany as I do here.

But, yeah, as a way to trade money for time on a high value basis to build capital...absolutely. I was going to launch a SaaS business but after looking into it thoroughly, at the moment it's far too expensive and with too much against me as I have next to no money. As soon as I have the cash to quit my job I'm going to do exactly this, because, like you say, you can make well over 100k a year and you can run a one man recruiting firm with overheads of less than £100 a month if you want to. I did it for a very short period between jobs (had no cashflow) and these were my expenses:

£25/month - Vonage VOIP phone with free international calls. A lot cheaper if you don't need to call internationally.
£25/month - virtual office address in central London
£7/month - Outlook 365 subscription
£7 - company logo from LogoGarden
£15 - Ltd company registration

£79 expenditure, £8500 income for one month's work when I eventually got paid long after I needed to get another job because the cash ran out.

It's a far harder job to do well than people generally realise, but an excellent grounding for entrepreneurial skills IMO. Personally I'm going to use it as a test base to nail social media marketing, content writing etc for future endeavours too.
Thank you for your very thoughtful and excellent response to my thread. I agree with you that it would be a very difficult business to scale; however I think that it would provide an excellent foundational opportunity for any young bucks out there. It would have it all (lead generation, sales, cold calling, marketing, team management, building excellent B2B relationships, etc).

As far as the cash outlay: you've hit the nail right on the head.

FYI, the person that I know who started their business lived on a SHOESTRING for three months before the first payment came in. But so what? The rewards were life changing.

To all those reading and lurking:

Why haven't you started today?
What's your excuse?

Approximately $120/79 pounds per month and you're on your way.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Why would a pharmaceutical company hire you rather than put an ad on a newspaper and find a candidate ? Added value ....again,it takes time/ money to establish that and know the needs of every industry.
Because you deliver. That's why. The person whom I watched succeed...did it through grit, gumption, and asking for a chance to deliver good candidates. Guess what? She did it, over and over and over again. After six months (not so long, really) she had the various companies calling her to see if she could help them out.

Remember: when all is said and done, at the end of the day you are (as @throttleforward would tell you), still selling human being to human being. Make that HR person look like a star by finding them a star and good things will happen. You just gotta be tough and believe.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Another Fastlaner asked the following question:

I like your recruiting firm idea. My problem though would be where to start. I believe that is my problem with everything. I don't like hand holding or want steps. Where would you start first?

So another plug for "Ready. Fire. Aim." In the book, Masterson recommends calling different people in your target industry and telling them that you're a student doing research (which is true). Ask to interview HR folks and ask,

"What are your biggest challenges?"
"What does the modern workforce look like and how is that impacting what type of candidate you're seeing?"
"What are the challenges looming in the future?"

Trade shows.
Trade magazines.
Cold calling the employers in your target niche.
Google adwords: what are the biggest advertisers when searching for, say, "Clinical Trial Coordinator Jobs"?
Go on Monster, indeed.com, etc and see who's posting jobs for the above, and contact them directly

AS for candidates:

- lists any way that you can get a handle on them
- set up a landing page with an opt-in for emails targeted to your niche
- Paid search
- Friends, family, networks.
So. Who's going to take action on this? :)

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Thank you for your very thoughtful and excellent response to my thread. I agree with you that it would be a very difficult business to scale; however I think that it would provide an excellent foundational opportunity for any young bucks out there. It would have it all (lead generation, sales, cold calling, marketing, team management, building excellent B2B relationships, etc).

As far as the cash outlay: you've hit the nail right on the head.

FYI, the person that I know who started their business lived on a SHOESTRING for three months before the first payment came in. But so what? The rewards were life changing.

To all those reading and lurking:

Why haven't you started today?
What's your excuse?

Approximately $120/79 pounds per month and you're on your way.

This. I'd also add, depending on your market, it's a (timezones aside) location independent business model. I'm going to set up a Hong Kong Ltd company, virtual office, HK phone numbers etc (hell you can get a bunch of "offices" around the world and have them all redirect to your phone if you really want), and live in Thailand to set mine up. So in that scenario you can place people in Australia, Singapore, HK, Malaysia etc...make five figures per placement, live very well on under $1000 a month, pay zero tax other than what you need to draw out of the company to live on (maybe not if you have to deal with a tyrannical IRS) and build serious capital.

I can't see any logical downsides to this plan, or any more straightforward way to get some net worth quickly.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Here is another question: what would you do if you got a really good candidate but had no place for them to go? How would you go about finding companies who need people for the types of position your candidate would fill?
Sorry that I missed this earlier.

What I would do is to make a good faith effort to look into which companies would be a best match for them. Perhaps call up a new employer and see if there's a need. If not then thank them for their time and ask for other needs.

Always be honest with the candidate and tell them why there is no spot just yet but you will keep looking for them.

Then follow up every so often. How are you? Have any new information or skills?

Treat them like they matter and good will come to you.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great thread. Glad @Contrarian chimed in. I knew I'd seen someone with good recruiter experience introduced themselves a while back and just couldn't remember who.

I'll add the perspective of a contractor.

I was an IT contractor in the UK and Ireland from about 2000 to 2009. I didn't realise they made up to 30% margin, I thought it was about 20%. Regardless, my daily rate was £400/day back in 2000 in my first contract. Us contractors always wondered how much the agencies were making, and figured they'd only need to place and keep 4-5 contractors going to be on the same daily rate as us. Anything after that would be gravy.

As a contractor, I was never out of work, but always looking to see what contracts were out there (especially when a contract was due for renewal). www.jobserve.co.uk was my friend. I don't know if it's still going now.

I guess search terms such as "contract oracle dba roles london" would be pretty popular for guys still doing what I did. Just replace "oracle dba" with the type of job and you'll probably get your ads in front of all the contractors and people looking to go contracting.

Rockstar employees probably aren't searching around because they are already employed. They probably need head-hunted for a new role.

Contractors are probably looking every week to keep their finger on the pulse. Even just to see what is happening with rates and what versions or flavours of software are most in demand.

There are only two things a decent contractor wants out of their agent:
  1. They pay the invoices on time, without being chased.
  2. They are *already* negotiating a contract extension at least a month before it's due to end (ideally without being reminded)

If they can bring a new contract when the old one finishes then great, but in nearly 10 years contracting I never got my next contract through the same agent. It could be that they automatically exclude you from the running for any new contracts since they don't want you to leave your current one, and by the time you do leave, well, you've already arranged to start another the following Monday.

What struck me was that I could count on one hand the actual agents that I had any respect for. Most were extremely young and probably really poorly paid. They would have had to be working for one of the big preferred agencies that one of the big businesses used, and that's all they had going for them.

The best agent I met gave great interview tips in general, and primed you for the client interview.

I'll add some more thoughts when they arise... just thought I'd add my 2c. I see there being a fastlane in the likes of building a marketplace, or a site like www.jobserve.co.uk where all the contractors (used to?) hang out.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Thanks for the excellent post, Andy.

Yeah, I used to totally prep my candidates for the interviews because I knew EXACTLY what the employers wanted. So more often than not my people kicked a$$ and got hired.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Great thread. Glad @Contrarian chimed in. I knew I'd seen someone with good recruiter experience introduced themselves a while back and just couldn't remember who.

I'll add the perspective of a contractor.

I was an IT contractor in the UK and Ireland from about 2000 to 2009. I didn't realise they made up to 30% margin, I thought it was about 20%. Regardless, my daily rate was £400/day back in 2000 in my first contract. Us contractors always wondered how much the agencies were making, and figured they'd only need to place and keep 4-5 contractors going to be on the same daily rate as us. Anything after that would be gravy.

As a contractor, I was never out of work, but always looking to see what contracts were out there (especially when a contract was due for renewal). www.jobserve.co.uk was my friend. I don't know if it's still going now.

I guess search terms such as "contract oracle dba roles london" would be pretty popular for guys still doing what I did. Just replace "oracle dba" with the type of job and you'll probably get your ads in front of all the contractors and people looking to go contracting.

Rockstar employees probably aren't searching around because they are already employed. They probably need head-hunted for a new role.

Contractors are probably looking every week to keep their finger on the pulse. Even just to see what is happening with rates and what versions or flavours of software are most in demand.

There are only two things a decent contractor wants out of their agent:
  1. They pay the invoices on time, without being chased.
  2. They are *already* negotiating a contract extension at least a month before it's due to end (ideally without being reminded)

If they can bring a new contract when the old one finishes then great, but in nearly 10 years contracting I never got my next contract through the same agent. It could be that they automatically exclude you from the running for any new contracts since they don't want you to leave your current one, and by the time you do leave, well, you've already arranged to start another the following Monday.

What struck me was that I could count on one hand the actual agents that I had any respect for. Most were extremely young and probably really poorly paid. They would have had to be working for one of the big preferred agencies that one of the big businesses used, and that's all they had going for them.

The best agent I met gave great interview tips in general, and primed you for the client interview.

I'll add some more thoughts when they arise... just thought I'd add my 2c. I see there being a fastlane in the likes of building a marketplace, or a site like www.jobserve.co.uk where all the contractors (used to?) hang out.

Too right. You'd be amazed at some of the conversations that go on behind closed doors in these wideboy-filled churn and burn recruiting firms.

Like the training session we had on "How to lull candidates into a false sense of security", making them trust you so that you can mine them for information on where they're interviewing so you can use that against them and put better candidates into play.

Or the guy whose candidate said he had an interview with TOTAL at a certain time, and also that he would really love to work for Shell above anything else. So he went back to the candidate and said he had an interview for him with Shell, and the only time they could do was when he had the interview with TOTAL. So he cancels the interview with TOTAL and the recruiter goes and fills it with someone else. The interview with Shell was fictional all along.

Or the guy who was working in a phone shop two months beforehand, who lost an outraged client who cancelled the contract when he found out he was making 53% margin on a Java developer.

Or the training session on posting fake jobs to attract candidates.

I could fill volumes...

Yeah, not that hard to stand out.

WorldImperator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 29, 2014
In some countries there are too many companies like that. For example in Poland, few years ago we had boom in that industry, and, indeed, many people with enterprenership mind did this. Some became big players, others were big but went down. There are everywhere the same people, just moving between companies and going to higher levels and new just after their graduating. And still new are opening. There was just some time in Poland, where all people were talking like "do you have some money? open the recruit agency".

Point is, the market in my country is overcrowded. I mean, they are so desparate now, that they are often not even calling for you to offer you an interview, but to ask whether you know somebody. Adding you to friend on linkedin and other portals like that. There are too many consultants and many of them are unprofessional, offering you something completely not suited (eg. completely different branch from yours), but I know some competent as well.

I don't know situation in US, but in Poland that would be very very stupid, unless you would take with you higly experienced people and you know really huge amount of directors to inform them about your new company.

The situation is even more silly, because we have one very higly dominating job portal (not recruiting firm, but a site that is listing offers from recruiting companies) and literally each other site like this is looking extremely poor, but, they are existing somehow. That dominating site has offers mainly for corporations for new and mid to high level managers, but due to their absolute dominancy, there are lots of smaller companies as well, but, you will not find there local shop looking for a cashier.

There are also offers listed on the recruiting agencies websites, but often they are expired and are extremely hard to navigate and poorly managed.

The thing is, they are so desperate, that they started to advertising themselves in the most expensive TV time availabe (I mean those recruting agencies and other sites with job offers, other than that dominating one).

So, as a final word, I don't know situation for US, but at least I can share what is on another market.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
May I take the opportunity to add, if anyone does decide to act on Iwokeup's information, these three books are invaluable:

Search and Placement! A Handbook for Success - Larry Nobles
Real Recruiting! Winning Search Strategies - Steve Finkel
Breakthrough! Exploding the Production of Experienced Recruiters - Steve Finkel

These three books are the combined bible of mastering the phone-based aspects of the business (which is most of it). Knowing and doing are totally separate things, but the vast majority of recruiters never read a damn thing in the first place. Get a headstart right there.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
May I take the opportunity to add, if anyone does decide to act on Iwokeup's information, these three books are invaluable:

Search and Placement! A Handbook for Success - Larry Nobles
Real Recruiting! Winning Search Strategies - Steve Finkel
Breakthrough! Exploding the Production of Experienced Recruiters - Steve Finkel

These three books are the combined bible of mastering the phone-based aspects of the business (which is most of it). Knowing and doing are totally separate things, but the vast majority of recruiters never read a damn thing in the first place. Get a headstart right there.
Thank you for the resources. I wish that I had had them back when I was "slinging the crack rock." (Shout out to Biggie Smalls)

Djs87

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 24, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I work in the staffing and recruiting industry for a large Internet Marketing firm. I market for recruiters all day every day. If anyone is interested in actually doing something like this I'd be the one to ask about marketing it.

G

GuestUser113

I work in the staffing and recruiting industry for a large Internet Marketing firm. I market for recruiters all day every day. If anyone is interested in actually doing something like this I'd be the one to ask about marketing it.

I'll shoot. How do you do the marketing?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Too right. You'd be amazed at some of the conversations that go on behind closed doors in these wideboy-filled churn and burn recruiting firms.

Like the training session we had on "How to lull candidates into a false sense of security", making them trust you so that you can mine them for information on where they're interviewing so you can use that against them and put better candidates into play.

Or the guy whose candidate said he had an interview with TOTAL at a certain time, and also that he would really love to work for Shell above anything else. So he went back to the candidate and said he had an interview for him with Shell, and the only time they could do was when he had the interview with TOTAL. So he cancels the interview with TOTAL and the recruiter goes and fills it with someone else. The interview with Shell was fictional all along.

Or the guy who was working in a phone shop two months beforehand, who lost an outraged client who cancelled the contract when he found out he was making 53% margin on a Java developer.

Or the training session on posting fake jobs to attract candidates.

I could fill volumes...

Yeah, not that hard to stand out.
Shady! Sounds like enough material for a whole 'nother thread, "Skeezy Tactics I Have Seen Employed..."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.