The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to free yourself from the SCRIPT while still an employee

Anything related to matters of the mind
D

Deleted74925

As an employee working in a 40-hr/week job I have been observing these ways in which my management pushes people towards becoming M.O.D.E.L. (Mediocre, Obedient, Dependent, Entertained, and Lifeless) employees. While handling the requirements of my job, I have been able to keep my online learning website running for the past three months by avoiding these traps.

Things to Avoid

Office snacks

My office has an endless supply of food. Fruit, donuts, juice, cookies, snack bars, and lunches on Fridays. Impulse control is a muscle. People who snack constantly are sheep. They develop cravings for instant gratification. Intermittent fasting increases productivity and creative thought, allowing us to be freed from the SCRIPT.

Eating between means alters powerful hormonal signals, interferes with the mechanism that burns fat as fuel, clogs liver metabolism, and sends calories right to fat stores.

Bright lights

Bright lights reduce creativity and original thinking. Why do interrogation scenes always have a bright light shining on the prisoner? Why do managers get their own offices with shades and windows while employees are always in the brightest parts of the office?

Research published in the Journal of Environmental Psychology looked at the difference in creativity levels in brightly-lit and dimly-lit environments over six studies. The research found that dim lighting helps us to feel less constrained and free to explore and take risks

How to Optimize Your Environment for Creativity with The Perfect Temperature, Lighting and Noise Levels

Being around mediocre people

You are who you associate with. Cubicles are organized so that we sit next to, talk to, and absorb the thoughts of other people in our same pay scale. Oren Klaff calls this the "dominance hierarchy" in the book Pitch Anything (highly recommend). Look at this quote by Colin Powel.

The less you associate with some people, the more your life will improve. Any time you tolerate mediocrity in others, it increases your mediocrity. An important attribute in successful people is their impatience with negative thinking and negative acting people. As you grow, your associates will change. Some of your friends will not want you to go on. They will want you to stay where they are. Friends that don't help you climb will want you to crawl. Your friends will stretch your vision or choke your dream. Those that
don't increase you will eventually decrease you.

Dress codes

Dress codes stifle creativity. When we get told what to do, our brains learn that pattern that original, creative thinking (I am going to wear Jeans today) and instead we fall into patterned behavior. Listen to Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall”.

Spotlighting Slowlane behaviors

People think in packs. The default behavior is to copy what everyone else is doing. Our HR department showcases MODEL citizens in chain emails such as "Bob just bought a house" or "Sue just bought a new puppy", but I have never seen an email saying "Joe has been working on his own business and just reached $10,000 last month".

The list is endless. Photos of people in Outlook email profile pics highlights the value of appearance rather than productivity. IT firewalls blocking all non-work websites which restricts me from researching FASTLANE ideas while at work. Small talk around the office is always about vacations, food, and entertainment. Corporate gives engraved plaques for "years of service" as if simply being in the same job for a 5 years is an achievement.

How to stay UNSCRIPTED

Read this forum every day.

Enough said.

Be around other productive people

"But how do I find friends/colleagues who are productive when everyone that I know is a loser?"

Execute! Be a boss. Win. Own your projects.

I used to be surrounded by negative and unproductive people because I was negative and unproductive. By being doing good work, being generous, using whatever knowledge or skills I have to make other people's lives easier, making connections will be automatic.

Two examples:

- By grinding out 10-hr days of office work + hiring a guy on Upwork, I connected with a highly skilled software developer who used to work at one of the big Facebook/Netflix/Google/Instagram firms because it was clear that I was executing.

- My first business venture has been teaching professionals in my industry. I've been creating tutorial videos for insurance professionals. This tough. It's a constant grind. But the payoff? People in my industry see the effort and naturally reach out.

Work remotely or at abnormal times

Before Apple, Steve Jobs worked at Atari. At first he started out working days, but after people complained about him he switched to nights. He gave up daylight, social interaction, and endured the discomfort and stress of working at night. Did his coworkers like him? Probably not.

Working remotely is effective as well. I've been systemically eliminating meetings and moving all of my projects to emails. This gives me more freedom. The challenge is in staying productive. One book that I would recommend for this topic is "The Four Hour Workweek".

Give/produce/build/write to help another person

Rewire your brain's reward system to feel gratification from your own success instead of the success of just your employer. Right now, I'm writing this post. Yesterday, I spent a few hours creating music.

Use physical reminders of your meaning and purpose

Even though my office has high-quality snacks and provides lunch almost every day, I bring in my own PB&J occasionally. I sit by myself to 30 minutes during the afternoon and reflect on my humble beginnings and desire for a better life.

This serves as a physical reminder of my real motivation. It doesn't need to be food, though. Music, art, stories, a journal, beliefs, and anything else that gets your juices flowing will suffice. This is highly personal, so each person needs to find this on their own. Once you find your why, remind yourself every day.

Do something to help improve your business even it it's really simple

Fix that typo in your Terms and Conditions. Send an email. Write a blog post.

Read success stories of other entrepreneurs

I have a folder where I save articles/linkedin profiles/websites of successful people. When I see an interesting business I will automatically look up the founder on Google/Linkedin.

Watch out for fake success stories. Rather than relying on Wikipedia/Business INSIDERS, go to the primary source whenever possible. Wikipedia is going to be biased by the person who wrote that article. When it comes to books, autobiographies are the best. Biographies by are almost as good.

Learn to understand your managers

Put yourself into your company's shoes and ask "what would I be doing if I wanted my employees to keep working for me for the next 5 years?"

Stand out. Be different. Take control. Even small acts of independence reinforce our identity as entrepreneurs. By becoming aware of how the SCRIPT is applied we build up an immunity to its effects.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
As an employee working in a 40-hr/week job I have been observing these ways in which my management pushes people towards becoming M.O.D.E.L. (Mediocre, Obedient, Dependent, Entertained, and Lifeless) employees. I now work remotely as often as possible and make it a priority to always be the boss of me. Today it was as simple as going outside and taking a walk, bringing in my own lunch, and spending a few hours working in a guest office while listening to my own music for an hour.

Watch out for these tricks:

Office snacks

My office has an endless supply of food. Fruit, donuts, juice, cookies, snack bars, and lunches on Fridays. Impulse control is a muscle. People who snack constantly are sheep. They develop cravings for instant gratification. Intermittent fasting increases productivity and creative thought, allowing us to be freed from the SCRIPT.

Eating between means alters powerful hormonal signals, interferes with the mechanism that burns fat as fuel, clogs liver metabolism, and sends calories right to fat stores.

Bright lights

Bright lights reduce creativity and original thinking. Why do interrogation scenes always have a bright light shining on the prisoner? Why do managers get their own offices with shades and windows while employees are always in the brightest parts of the office?

Research published in the Journal of Environmental Psychology looked at the difference in creativity levels in brightly-lit and dimly-lit environments over six studies. The research found that dim lighting helps us to feel less constrained and free to explore and take risks

How to Optimize Your Environment for Creativity with The Perfect Temperature, Lighting and Noise Levels

You are who you associate with. Cubicles are organized so that we sit next to, talk to, and absorb the thoughts of other people in our same pay scale. Oren Klaff calls this the "dominance hierarchy" in the book Pitch Anything (highly recommend). Look at this quote by Colin Powel.

The less you associate with some people, the more your life will improve. Any time you tolerate mediocrity in others, it increases your mediocrity. An important attribute in successful people is their impatience with negative thinking and negative acting people. As you grow, your associates will change. Some of your friends will not want you to go on. They will want you to stay where they are. Friends that don't help you climb will want you to crawl. Your friends will stretch your vision or choke your dream. Those that

Dress codes

Dress codes stifle creativity. When we get told what to do, our brains learn that pattern that original, creative thinking (I am going to wear Jeans today) and instead we fall into patterned behavior. Listen to Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall”.

People think in packs. The default behavior is to copy what everyone else is doing. Our HR department showcases MODEL citizens in chain emails such as "Bob just bought a house" or "Sue just bought a new puppy", but I have never seen an email saying "Joe has been working on his own business and just reached $10,000 last month".

The list is endless. Photos of people in Outlook email profile pics highlights the value of appearance rather than productivity. IT firewalls blocking all non-work websites which restricts me from researching FASTLANE ideas while at work. Small talk around the office is always about vacations, food, and entertainment. Corporate gives engraved plaques for "years of service" as if simply being in the same job for a 5 years is an achievement.

Some practical ways of staying UNSCRIPTED
  • Read this forum every day.
  • Give/produce/build/write to help another person. Right now I'm writing this post.
  • Remember who you are, where, and are meant to be. Use music, art, stories, a journal, and anything else that gets your juices flowing.
  • Do something to help improve your business even it it's really simple.
  • Read success stories of other entrepreneurs.
  • Form positive habits like MJ talks about in the book. Right now I have a white board in my living room where I keep track of my savings.
  • Put yourself into your company's shoes and ask "what would I be doing if I wanted my employees to keep working for me for the next 5 years?"

Stand out. Be different. Take control. Even small acts of independence reinforce our identity as entrepreneurs. By becoming aware of how the SCRIPT is applied we build up an immunity to its effects.
It's very important to NEVER get comfortable with a job. Once you get comfortable, forever will it control your destiny...sorry about that - couldn't resist.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Bigger companies also set up discount packages for employees to buy luxuries and vacations for slightly cheaper. People get really excited about that "benefit." It's an obvious ploy to keep them broke and make them dependent on the job, unfortunately.

A good 25% of my employee manual is written to combat the tendency of companies to engineer employee dependence. And to make it easy to fire of anyone who tries to play that game with people's lives.

D

DeletedUser0287

Get a job where the the work you are doing is related to your fastlane venture. So you don't dread the job. It will actually feel good to work at the day job because you are actually moving forward with your venture as well while working there. Get those industry secrets ayye.

Edit: Ignore all that other B.S. about the job or use as motivation, that if you don't do anything that sad coworker is going to be you for the rest of your life.

Last edited by a moderator:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I'm in need of quitting my job, although steady paychecks to pay rent and food are like crack cocaine (from Felix Dennis)

Small talk around the office is always about vacations, food, and entertainment. Corporate gives engraved plaques for "years of service" as if simply being in the same job for a 5 years is an achievement.

I got a cool little badge from Mcdonalds thanking me for slaving away for over a year, got fired from there after.

D

Deleted74925

Get a job where the the work you are doing is related to your fastlane venture. So you don't dread the job. It will actually feel good to work at the day job because you are actually moving forward with your venture as well while working there. Get those industry secrets ayye.

Edit: Ignore all that other B.S. about the job or use as motivation, that if you don't do anything that sad coworker is going to be you for the rest of your life.

Good idea. Every time a coworker says "I hate this", or "this process sucks" that's an entrepreneurship opportunity.

D

Deleted74925

I'm in need of quitting my job, although steady paychecks to pay rent and food are like crack cocaine (from Felix Dennis)

Small talk around the office is always about vacations, food, and entertainment. Corporate gives engraved plaques for "years of service" as if simply being in the same job for a 5 years is an achievement.

I got a cool little badge from Mcdonalds thanking me for slaving away for over a year, got fired from there after.

Keep that badge. Hang it on your fridge. Burn it as FUEL to drive your passion for financial independence.

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
As an employee working in a 40-hr/week job I have been observing these ways in which my management pushes people towards becoming M.O.D.E.L. (Mediocre, Obedient, Dependent, Entertained, and Lifeless) employees. I now work remotely as often as possible and make it a priority to always be the boss of me. Today it was as simple as going outside and taking a walk, bringing in my own lunch, and spending a few hours working in a guest office while listening to my own music for an hour.

Watch out for these tricks:

Office snacks

Bright lights

Dress codes

Some practical ways of staying UNSCRIPTED
  • Read this forum every day.
  • Give/produce/build/write to help another person. Right now I'm writing this post.
  • Remember who you are, where, and are meant to be. Use music, art, stories, a journal, and anything else that gets your juices flowing.
  • Do something to help improve your business even it it's really simple.
  • Read success stories of other entrepreneurs.
  • Form positive habits like MJ talks about in the book. Right now I have a white board in my living room where I keep track of my savings.
  • Put yourself into your company's shoes and ask "what would I be doing if I wanted my employees to keep working for me for the next 5 years?"

A good one for me is avoid financial entrapment.

That expensive car? That mortgage payment on a non-profiting house? That's financial entrapment.

Being loose with your money and buying bull%^%& you don't need? That's financial entrapment.

Find the stuff that really makes you happy (freedom, health and personal relationships.) Forget all the "fake" happiness that comes from acquiring stuff. In fact get rid of all the stuff you don't need at home, so you don't need to buy more storage in the future for it.

Its not about "going without" its about focusing on the things that actually make you happy. You'll find that you won't need money for much. As your bank roll grows at a job, you now just unlocked the freedom to say "f#&* it!" and leave for somewhere else. You don't have to be tied to the job. Knowing that subconsciously gives you the power to defy the script at any turn. Having that extra money gives you the freedom fighters to protect you from scripted B.S. It will also give you power to pursue real opportunities, when they arrive. (Or when you create them.)

In addition, having confidence in your value (and useful skills) means you know that even if one door closes another one will always open.

Last edited:
D

Deleted78083

Take control, it is extremely important!! Everything is decided for you otherwise: you go to school and uni prep by the government, get a job prep by an entrepreneur, get your retirement prep by the government and then...die. No need to make any decision yourself: advertisement, magazines, influencers, the government, your parents, your friends...do it for you. You soon lose control over your life and wake up 30 years later wondering how you got there.

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
Don't want to waste your time but just wanted to say thank you for sharing this post on my other thread. This is amazing. I can't stop reading.

Ragnar_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
May 13, 2019
Florida
Great post!

Working remotely has been a huge game changer for me as well. I can go to the gym and work on other things during down time.

My boss that was just so disappointed that he only got an email and a water bottle for 20 years of service at the firm. That was an eye opening experience, and a great example of exactly what I don't want to become.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
You will never be in the fastlane working under another company.
If we consider that an average working week is 40 hours then that equates to 1,960 hours per year once annual holidays are deducted. That’s 22.4% of our lives, not including any overtime that we may be required to complete.

I thought the same thing as you.
Well, I thought I'll simply work for one of the biggest companies in the world!
from there I will ensure employment, and from there launch my company!

No. I did in fact end up working for one of the largest companies in the world. One of the F.A.N.G sector of which I cannot name due to a NDA.

I quit EVERYHING and went FULL FORCE into the workforce. Changed my profile photo to a charging rhino and dedicated myself into getting a interview. I aced the interview and was given a promotion in only a few months. I was doing great!

Money was coming along at a slow-lane pace.
I could have easily slid into a slowlane lifestyle and indeed I could feel it pulling at the edges of my vision. The pay I was making wasn't amazing but it was decent.

Then the realization came in a company letter blasted to every employee.
Or I should say ''non-employee'' A ripple in the inside caused some people at the top to freak out and remind everyone else exactly how useless they are.
You can read my original post about this here Where I had not just a WTF, but a true FTE.

I was working at one of the largest companies in the world, and they were treating people like horse manure, telling people that not only do they not work here, they cannot speak about their experiences.
If I flashed my badge, or shirt I would have a lawyer on my a$$ in the next few days.
Furtheremore the history of my employment is blanketed with a company as a placeholder.

Again. This is one of the top companies. This is the golden ''I want that job'' that every person dreams about.

In that moment I flashed back to my time at the ends of my shift. Coming home to a Trello task board with details for my company.
Remembering how tired I felt after the chaos of work, how the entire day was filled with chaos caused by the work. Fluff and time wasting away my soul. Did I enjoy it? every second until I got that letter.
Was it fastlane? no. Even under the glass housing of a golden employer, it was a farce and would never be truly fastlane.

So I quit.
I realized the trap I was in and started trading in my hours. I let the write-ups pile up and politely exited, deliberately burning my golden bridge. I changed all my personal info and erased myself from the WTF is going on with you groups that came from work.

Because I realized.
Working for someone else will never be fastlane.

D

Deleted74925

You will never be in the fastlane working under another company.
If we consider that an average working week is 40 hours then that equates to 1,960 hours per year once annual holidays are deducted. That’s 22.4% of our lives, not including any overtime that we may be required to complete.

I thought the same thing as you.
Well, I thought I'll simply work for one of the biggest companies in the world!
from there I will ensure employment, and from there launch my company!

No. I did in fact end up working for one of the largest companies in the world. One of the F.A.N.G sector of which I cannot name due to a NDA.

I quit EVERYHING and went FULL FORCE into the workforce. Changed my profile photo to a charging rhino and dedicated myself into getting a interview. I aced the interview and was given a promotion in only a few months. I was doing great!

Money was coming along at a slow-lane pace.
I could have easily slid into a slowlane lifestyle and indeed I could feel it pulling at the edges of my vision. The pay I was making wasn't amazing but it was decent.

Then the realization came in a company letter blasted to every employee.
Or I should say ''non-employee'' A ripple in the inside caused some people at the top to freak out and remind everyone else exactly how useless they are.
You can read my original post about this here Where I had not just a WTF, but a true FTE.

I was working at one of the largest companies in the world, and they were treating people like horse manure, telling people that not only do they not work here, they cannot speak about their experiences.
If I flashed my badge, or shirt I would have a lawyer on my a$$ in the next few days.
Furtheremore the history of my employment is blanketed with a company as a placeholder.

Again. This is one of the top companies. This is the golden ''I want that job'' that every person dreams about.

In that moment I flashed back to my time at the ends of my shift. Coming home to a Trello task board with details for my company.
Remembering how tired I felt after the chaos of work, how the entire day was filled with chaos caused by the work. Fluff and time wasting away my soul. Did I enjoy it? every second until I got that letter.
Was it fastlane? no. Even under the glass housing of a golden employer, it was a farce and would never be truly fastlane.

So I quit.
I realized the trap I was in and started trading in my hours. I let the write-ups pile up and politely exited, deliberately burning my golden bridge. I changed all my personal info and erased myself from the WTF is going on with you groups that came from work.

Because I realized.
Working for someone else will never be fastlane.

Your story is insightful. Keep going down that path. If you can get a job at that company which is in the top of the industry then you must be doing something right.

Burning bridges is not my plan. My situation is slightly different. There are two reasons why I am staying 1) health insurance for an upcoming surgery (~$20,000 without insurance), and 2) completing a professional credential, which the company pays for. Once these two items are gone I plan on leaving.

On a positive note, you now know what is valuable: your productivity, coding, management, and get-shit-done ability. All that HR status, job title, and resume "fluff" are not actually valuable in the real world. This puts you ahead of other people who are still holding on to this crap.

I find it really surprising that they prevent you from saying that you work for them. This is a big reason why people apply for these FAGNALD companies - to bump up their resume. I read a book about Google's founding and one of their signature brags was "this year, only 5% of people who applied got hired". They have so much status that people will kill themselves to get a job. Then there are the "coding interviews" that people spend months preparing for. It sounds rough.

Kudos to you for being able to give up all of those perks though! I had an "aha" moment when at a pet store a few weeks ago:

Low-Paid Employee:

High-Paid Employee:

D

Deleted74925

HEALTHY BY CHOICE
NOT BY CHANCE

On the stairwells of my building are these posters.

What's the message? While working 40 hrs/week indoors, standing/sitting in the same place for hours at once, and being under constant stress we can be healthy by taking the stairs instead of the elevator , going to Tuesday's In-Office Yoga class, and eating lunch at Panera Bread instead of Chipotle.

Don't get me wrong - health is vitally important to me. Having been in poor health for most of my teens due to poor nutrition and exercise habits, I see the value in being in being in the best condition possible. Largly, though, this was due to poverty: nothing destroys health faster than being a slave to a job, eating cheap food, and being under constant stress.

Financial freedom is the ultimate way to get healthy.

Source

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.