The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

5 Worst Mistakes Salespeople Make

Marketing, social media, advertising

Alex Edson

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 1, 2018
Phoenix, AZ.
When I ask a sale rep what the most difficult part of their job is, most say “getting prospects on the phone” or “closing”.

So, for today’s post about the 5 worst mistakes salespeople make, I’ve specifically centered it around these two core obstacles.

Enjoy!

#1): Over-talking.
Unfortunately, over-talking is one of the most common reasons salespeople fail to close deals.

The reason this is so unfortunate is because this mistake is so easily avoidable!

You have to recognize when it’s time to “stop selling”.

When your prospect says “ok, I’ll do it” or “yes”, say “Great!” and then pass the contract across the table and get the deal signed!

#2): Not listening.

“Listen with the intent to understand,
not the intent to reply.”— Stephen Covey

Have you ever noticed how the best salespeople are often the best listeners, too?

This is not a coincidence.

Only once your prospect feels that you truly understand their needs will they become your customer.
People desire to be listened to, not sold to.

In fact, I’d go as far to say that 80+% of selling is simply comprised of listening, not talking.

#3): Prospect Interruption.
Never interrupt your prospect (ever)!

Interrupting your prospect mid-sentence is one of the surest ways to lose a deal.
If you have something you want to say while your prospect is speaking, write it down.

Professional salespeople take notes when their prospects speak (both during sales calls and in-person meetings).

#4): Poor timing.
In a recent post, I shared the findings from a recent research study our team conducted which indicated that sending sales emails at “bad times” was the second leading cause of lost sales.

According to our data, sales outreaches delivered to recipients’ inboxes between 6 AM and 8 AM received the highest open-rates, whereas sales outreaches sent between 3 PM and 4 PM received the lowest open-rates.

We believe this is likely due to prospects being less busy in the earlier part of their day — which means they have fewer emails to sort through (increasing your odds of receiving a reply).

#5): Not thinking from the prospect’s perspective.
If you only take away one thing from this post, let it be this:
Think from the perspective of the other person.

Before you click “send” on your next sales outreach, go through this checklist:

#1: ☑ If I received this outreach, the subject line would spark my interest.
#2: ☑ If I received this outreach, I would respond.
#3: ☑ If I received this outreach, I would immediately know that this email was personalized for me (and not “copied and pasted”).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
sales outreaches delivered to recipients’ inboxes between 6 AM and 8 AM received the highest open-rates, whereas sales outreaches sent between 3 PM and 4 PM received the lowest open-rates.

I've seen other studies that have pretty much confirmed this. My cold emails / sales emails always go out early in the morning.

#3: ☑ If I received this outreach, I would immediately know that this email was personalized for me (and not “copied and pasted”).

This is incredible advice, and so simple to implement!

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
I think one of the biggest mistakes salespeople make is not asking for the sale. I have found that people generally do not like to make purchasing decisions especially on big ticket items on their own and if you just give them a price and wait for them to react they are not likely to purchase, however if you ask them how they would like to pay and "assume the sale" then you are making the decision easier for them and they are much more likely to say yes.

• Banned

Alex Edson

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 1, 2018
Phoenix, AZ.
I've seen other studies that have pretty much confirmed this. My cold emails / sales emails always go out early in the morning. This is incredible advice, and so simple to implement!

Thanks!

And yes, sending emails early in the morning is generally the best time.

Afternoon outreaching (in my experience) rarely works because people are tired and energy levels are lower and less receptive to listening to ideas.

.. It's just like how parolees have decreased chances of being granted parole by judges as the day progresses.
Mental Energy and the Best Time of Day for Your Parole Hearing | Fastcase

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I am a talker and sometimes I catch myself talking too much and stop.... but sometimes it's too late. I do concur with talking too much will lose the sale. But, I do listen too and in listening I try to pick up things that could be to my advantage in the sale.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
When I ask a sale rep what the most difficult part of their job is, most say “getting prospects on the phone” or “closing”.

So, for today’s post about the 5 worst mistakes salespeople make, I’ve specifically centered it around these two core obstacles.

Enjoy!

#1): Over-talking.
Unfortunately, over-talking is one of the most common reasons salespeople fail to close deals.

The reason this is so unfortunate is because this mistake is so easily avoidable!

You have to recognize when it’s time to “stop selling”.

When your prospect says “ok, I’ll do it” or “yes”, say “Great!” and then pass the contract across the table and get the deal signed!

#2): Not listening.

“Listen with the intent to understand,
not the intent to reply.”— Stephen Covey

Have you ever noticed how the best salespeople are often the best listeners, too?

This is not a coincidence.

Only once your prospect feels that you truly understand their needs will they become your customer.
People desire to be listened to, not sold to.

In fact, I’d go as far to say that 80+% of selling is simply comprised of listening, not talking.

#3): Prospect Interruption.
Never interrupt your prospect (ever)!

Interrupting your prospect mid-sentence is one of the surest ways to lose a deal.
If you have something you want to say while your prospect is speaking, write it down.

Professional salespeople take notes when their prospects speak (both during sales calls and in-person meetings).

#4): Poor timing.
In a recent post, I shared the findings from a recent research study our team conducted which indicated that sending sales emails at “bad times” was the second leading cause of lost sales.

According to our data, sales outreaches delivered to recipients’ inboxes between 6 AM and 8 AM received the highest open-rates, whereas sales outreaches sent between 3 PM and 4 PM received the lowest open-rates.

We believe this is likely due to prospects being less busy in the earlier part of their day — which means they have fewer emails to sort through (increasing your odds of receiving a reply).

#5): Not thinking from the prospect’s perspective.
If you only take away one thing from this post, let it be this:
Think from the perspective of the other person.

Before you click “send” on your next sales outreach, go through this checklist:

i admit

i can't sell face to face and i won't even learn

why ?

because i can't handle stupidity. this is too complex for me

let me explain

most people buy for their own reason, not for logical reasons

this is well explained by Eben Pagan by the way

Eben thinks in a logical way, like all masterminds do, so he had to learn to deal with these strange creatures called " customers " .

let's take an example:

i am selling a guitar on the web. guess what a guy asked me ?

did he ask me about the sound ? the quality ? that kinds of things

NO

he wants to know if there is dust on the guitar !!!!! this is his main reason for buying !

what the F*** !!

are you kidding me , you stupid customer ?

so i can't learn to sell because i can't handle stupidity. this is a problem for me

i agree. in fact, i would probably slap the guy in this case

i can only work with systems, not with the irrational masses face to face

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
i admit

i can't sell face to face and i won't even learn

why ?

because i can't handle stupidity. this is too complex for me

let me explain

most people buy for their own reason, not for logical reasons

this is well explained by Eben Pagan by the way

Eben thinks in a logical way, like all masterminds do, so he had to learn to deal with these strange creatures called " customers " .

let's take an example:

i am selling a guitar on the web. guess what a guy asked me ?

did he ask me about the sound ? the quality ? that kinds of things

NO

he wants to know if there is dust on the guitar !!!!! this is his main reason for buying !

what the F*** !!

are you kidding me , you stupid customer ?

so i can't learn to sell because i can't handle stupidity. this is a problem for me

i agree. in fact, i would probably slap the guy in this case

i can only work with systems, not with the irrational masses face to face

Yes, when selling used washers and dryers 50% of the questions are about looks.... for something that is more than likely going in to a small room and no one will ever see them. That's why I make sure they are painted and for God's sake..... NO DUST!!!! I feel your pain! :)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Ok, so I did it today. I was texting a guy about a washer & dryer and then I smiled..... and then said, "Honestly........".

I just wanted to see if I still got the sale and sure enough, I got the sale for full price. lol I was just testing it but from now on every time I do that I am going to think of this conversation. :)

eWomenNetwork

New Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Dallas , Texas , 75254
Sales is an increasingly competitive game, and there are plenty of ways a sale can go wrong. In order to close the most business possible, you need to examine every step of your sales process and ensure you’re making the most of every opportunity. Here are five of the biggest mistakes salespeople make and how you can avoid them:
  • No Defined Goal for the Meeting
  • Wasting Time With the Wrong Contact
  • Taking Time to Follow-Up With Organic Leads
  • Offering Only One Call-to-Action
  • Not learning from mistakes

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.