The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2022 - What Skill will you master?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Lately I have been thinking alot about the future 'me', where my business will be headed next year and what I need to do to develop myself. I am willing to admit that 2021, while it was a productive year in the scheme of things - there is still ALOT of room for improvement.

This year coming, personally, will be very busy (3rd child due, develop business, build house, full time work etc etc) but I am determined to learn and master skill.

While I have yet to decide, I am pretty certain it will be 3D CAD design (solidworks) as this will help develop products for my business and I believe will be an integral business skill for the foreseeable future.

So my question is, what is your skill that you will learn in the new year?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
  • Continue with freediving. Got my AIDA 2 certification recently which teaches you to dive to 20 meters (my personal best now is 16 meters). Depending on how it goes (don't want to rush my body's adaptation), perhaps get AIDA 3 this year (up to 30 meters of depth).
  • Continue with krav maga. I actually got back to it after a hiatus of 2-3 years. Damn it feels good to work hard with my coach. There's a grading system in my federation but I'm not sure if I'll do any new exams as my primary motivation is to learn self-defense, not prepare for exams. I did only one exam a few years ago.
  • Continue with my American accent training. I have a goal to sound like a native American speaker. Hopefully I'll get closer to it this year.
  • Continue working on my Spanish. Need to find a new tutor to take me to the next level. My Spanish is fluent and I can do whatever I want using Spanish but it's not as natural as English. I still have some grammar work to do.
  • Improve my skills as a Total Immersion (swimming) coach. I did an instructor course a year and a half ago but didn't do anything with it since then. I'm planning to join my coach on some workshops in January to assist in teaching. I'm currently only certified in my own country. If I enjoy teaching, maybe I'll do a proper international certification (but that would require a trip to the US).
  • Improve my surfing skills. This one depends on my travels this year as I can't really do that locally. For the time being I'm more interested in freediving.
  • Develop Web3 skills. Already started with this one. It's quite vague as there's a lot of stuff to explore. But in general, study it every day to be ready when new opportunities emerge.
  • Learn French. This would be my third foreign language. I think it would be useful for traveling and I like how it sounds. But damn the prospect makes me uncomfortable as I dislike languages that don't have phonemic orthography (pronunciation and spelling corresponding in a predictable way; English does NOT have this while Spanish does).
  • Learn some BJJ. I have almost zero ground fighting experience (krav maga has some but very, very little) and I think it would be good to learn at least a little bit of BJJ to complement my krav maga skills.
  • Continue improving my calisthenics skills. This includes ring exercises, handstands, various mobility exercises, and a new addition for next year is jump rope.
Possibly consider:
  • Improve my first aid skills. I have the highest non-professional emergency first response certification I can get in my country. It's valid for three years and will expire by the end of this year so I'll have to do a quick re-certification course. Perhaps it would be a good opportunity to go do a highly-realistic simulated emergency first response course for additional practice later.
  • Learn water rescue skills/an open water lifeguard course. I think it would be a nice addition to my other water skills. I already have some skills due to the above and my freediving course but something specifically targeting dealing with people panicking in water could be useful.
  • A multi-day solo hike through the wilderness. Not sure if this is a proper skill but definitely different skills are needed to figure it out (setting up a camp, navigation, food and water logistics). In my country there's no real wilderness to speak of so this would have to be done somewhere else.

KJG

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Dec 19, 2019
For me, 2021 has been the year where I finally grew up at the age of 26. Lost some family members, got diagnosed with diabetes 1 (I'm not even fat)... and I destroyed my business (which was a bad business if I had looked at the "cents" framework, I was just in it for a "quick buck").
-> So I did the "math" and when all is said and done, I'm around $38.000 in debt. (It will take me 3.7 years to pay it all back)

Sooooo, my 1 / 5 / 10 plan goes like this from now on:

0-1 year plan: Focus and learn two things:
-> Copywriting
-> Business systems
-> Pay off debt
-> Save up an emergency fund

1-5 year plan: Keep getting better at:
-> Copywriting
-> Business systems
-> Pay off debt
-> Find next business (and prove demand for that business)
-> Save up for the next business meanwhile

5-10 year plan: Scale
- >Implement systems
-> Scale to a selling price of around $2.200.000 (enough for me to live comfortably on interest alone, as long as I'm responsible with the money)

10-? : Financial Freedom With Responsibility
-> Do it all over again. Maybe go for a higher selling price, maybe not.

Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Personally I'm not a big fan of new years resultions. But I do think that our life evolves in cyclical time frames, so I've come to the conclusion that it's best to just use these natural cycles to my advantage.

In the past I've made the very common mistake to set outcome goals. This year I want to set process goals. I destinguish between growth and maintenance process goals, in order to make sure I'm setting my focus right.

Growth Process Goals:
  • Continue learning Machine Learning (AI) and Data Science with courses from deeplearning.ai and practice knowledge on real world problems from Kaggle competitions. (4 h / day Mo - Fr).
  • Reach out to people in ML / Data Science vie Kaggle to accelerate learning and build project team.
  • Reach out to people in diverse industries to find business problem(s) worth solving (with project team).

Maintenance Process Goals:
  • Invest 2 h / week into my existing (slowlane) business. Make sure everything is going smoothly. Talk to my employee and check everything important is being taken care of. Check financial report and important metrics.
  • Continue practicing guitar at least 3 times a week. Use metronome. Learn to play "Slow Walking in a Burning Room" by John Mayer
  • Continue with my Freeletics workout regimen 3x a week
  • Continue tracking nutrition every day via MyFitnessPal

While I have yet to decide, I am pretty certain it will be 3D CAD design (solidworks) as this will help develop products for my business and I believe will be an integral business skill for the foreseeable future.

That's definitely a great skill to have. My strategy is similar. I think having a technical skillset i like knowing how to use tools in order to build stuff. I believe the best entrepreneurs are inventors, not business people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Personally I'm not a big fan of new years resultions. But I do think that our life evolves in cyclical time frames, so I've come to the conclusion that it's best to just use these natural cycles to my advantage.

In the past I've made the very common mistake to set outcome goals. This year I want to set process goals. I destinguish between growth and maintenance process goals, in order to make sure I'm setting my focus right.

Growth Process Goals:
  • Continue learning Machine Learning (AI) and Data Science with courses from deeplearning.ai and practice knowledge on real world problems from Kaggle competitions. (4 h / day Mo - Fr).
  • Reach out to people in ML / Data Science vie Kaggle to accelerate learning and build project team.
  • Reach out to people in diverse industries to find business problem(s) worth solving (with project team).

Maintenance Process Goals:
  • Invest 2 h / week into my existing (slowlane) business. Make sure everything is going smoothly. Talk to my employee and check everything important is being taken care of. Check financial report and important metrics.
  • Continue practicing guitar at least 3 times a week. Use metronome. Learn to play "Slow Walking in a Burning Room" by John Mayer
  • Continue with my Freeletics workout regimen 3x a week
  • Continue tracking nutrition every day via MyFitnessPal

That's definitely a great skill to have. My strategy is similar. I think having a technical skillset i like knowing how to use tools in order to build stuff. I believe the best entrepreneurs are inventors, not business people.

I like your thinking in regards to setting process goals as opposed to outcome goals.

Producer, not consumer is the goal. I feel that being properly equipped with skills to do 3D prototyping would reduce one of many hurdles amongst all the other benefits.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.