The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2016-17 Fastlane Fantasy Football (Official)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just thought I'd mention that the two LAST PLACE teams in the league were celebrated by Yahoo's draft ratings receiving their only 2 A's.

And now they sit in the cellar.

If there is one certainty in life and fantasy football, it is that you DO NOT want Yahoo to give you a good grade on your draft!

Yup, I found this to be true. Their draft grades mean shit. Every year at the season's end, I go back and look at draft grades. I found the A's at the bottom of the barrel moreso than the B's and C's.

Yahoo don't know shit -- celebrating a Yahoo draft grade is like celebrating because you received a Publisher's Clearing House envelope in the mail.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Just thought I'd mention that the two LAST PLACE teams in the league were celebrated by Yahoo's draft ratings receiving their only 2 A's.

And now they sit in the cellar.

Yahoo don't know shit -- celebrating a Yahoo draft grade is like celebrating because you received a Publisher's Clearing House envelope in the mail.

Unfortunately, I'm in the shitter as well! Been an atrocious year with injuries though!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm thinking next year we will need to go with 12 teams.

The 14 teams have made the waiver wire a barren wasteland. As such, the act of "managing" and taking chances on guys has virtually been eliminated except for mid-week claims based on mid-week news.

I feel we have changed the rules of engagement -- normal rules say "diet and exercise" is needed win -- these rules say "forget the diet -- hit the gym 7X a week and you win."

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015

The 14 teams have made the waiver wire a barren wasteland. As such, the act of "managing" and taking chances on guys has virtually been eliminated except for mid-week claims based on mid-week news.

I feel we have changed the rules of engagement -- normal rules say "diet and exercise" is needed win -- these rules say "forget the diet -- hit the gym 7X a week and you win."

14 is certainly more challenging when it comes to the WW... You could also increase/decrease the bench sizes...

Increasing them would require much less WW work on a weekly basis and more work upfront (almost like a Dynasty league)

And decreasing them would allow more players to be in the free agent pool and require more weekly WW work.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And decreasing them would allow more players to be in the free agent pool and require more weekly WW work.

And dropping good players due to BYE weeks!

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
And dropping good players due to BYE weeks!

And week to week injuries... Trust me, I feel your pain.

The only guy out of my first 9 picks to not be injured was Frank Gore... (Who would've thought that)... lol

Dbbuzbee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 8, 2016
Washington DC
I agree. Although I have had some luck with the WW (Ajayi and CJ Procise) the wire is just limited to low tier 3rd down backs and 4th string WRs. 12 Teams won't have any studs sitting on the wire which is no good but enough good players that you could replace guys.

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY

I'm with you on the 12 rather than 14 idea. I'll be the first to admit, I have been EXTREMELY lucky this year (knock on wood), but finding players to fill in for bye weeks is a juggling act. The only waiver wire pickups that are worth holding onto are the diamonds in the rough that didn't show promise early in the season, those who drafted them or picked them up dropped them and because of bad play at the position, usually RBs, the understudy shows up and shows out, and their the stud now, i.e. Ajayi, Prosise. I got lucky with picking up Brate after Allen went down with the ankle problem, but that is the exception, rather than the rule. I do like the FAAB budget, as it forces managers to be a bit more selective in who they go after and how much to spend. I spent my money too early on guys who didn't pan out and now wish I hadn't. Oh well, lesson learned. This is uncharted water for me as far as FF goes. But I'm going to ride this wave out and see where it goes. So far, it has been a fun ride, compared to last year, when I was near the bottom. I know anything can happen week to week and especially in the playoffs, so I'm not going to be overconfident. I'll just set my lineup and hope my guys score more points than my opponent.

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
I'm with you on the 12 rather than 14 idea. I'll be the first to admit, I have been EXTREMELY lucky this year (knock on wood), but finding players to fill in for bye weeks is a juggling act. The only waiver wire pickups that are worth holding onto are the diamonds in the rough that didn't show promise early in the season, those who drafted them or picked them up dropped them and because of bad play at the position, usually RBs, the understudy shows up and shows out, and their the stud now, i.e. Ajayi, Prosise. I got lucky with picking up Brate after Allen went down with the ankle problem, but that is the exception, rather than the rule. I do like the FAAB budget, as it forces managers to be a bit more selective in who they go after and how much to spend. I spent my money too early on guys who didn't pan out and now wish I hadn't. Oh well, lesson learned. This is uncharted water for me as far as FF goes. But I'm going to ride this wave out and see where it goes. So far, it has been a fun ride, compared to last year, when I was near the bottom. I know anything can happen week to week and especially in the playoffs, so I'm not going to be overconfident. I'll just set my lineup and hope my guys score more points than my opponent.

I just realized it should be they're, not their. My apologies, it's the Grammar Nazi/OCD in me.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014

I don't mind the format but then I have plenty of experience playing 20 team leagues which I quite like. I can see why others may not though. I was in a 20 team auction a couple of years ago where the roster was 30 players and the draft took 9 hours. And yes before you say it I think I drafted about 20 rbs.

I'm interested that you dropped Palmer. I've been trying to trade out of the Bortling for another QB for a few weeks but no takers. Well there was this one guy from Tampa Bay but he wanted my Spencer Ware as part of the deal

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
MJ, I posted a message on the Yahoo message board, but I don't know if you read it. I was wanting to know about the playoffs and how they will work. I know it will be eight (8) teams, but I was wanting to know if the top two teams get a bye for week 14 or do all eight teams play week 14?

Nice game Check My Balls, as it was karma that evened the score. You traded away Freeman to me early this season, but you ended the streak at 10 for me, with Fat Rob of all people, plus Brady nuking the 49ers. I drafted Kelley, but he wasn't doing anything early in the season, so I dropped him. Whoops.

Somebody call the 1972 Dolphins and tell them they can pop the champagne, as their undefeated season record remains intact for another year. It would have been nice to go undefeated into the playoffs, but it wasn't in the cards. I can't complain about ten in a row, though. I'm still pinching myself about this season.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
Click the Playoffs tab. All 8 teams play, no byes.
Okay. Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure and the league settings didn't really specify how or if byes were in play. I skipped ahead to week 14, but all it said was TBD.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In case anyone is wondering what I did this morning (and what happened) here's is the scoop...

So the league dickhead went ahead and dropped his entire team (other than the undroppables) and totally f*cked everything up.

I had to spend my Saturday morning re-adding/dropping those players because his dick move is not a MANAGERIAL MOVE, but a SORE LOSER move.

I then locked his team.

He won't be playing next year.

This is the note in the league:

Mike,

You're done with this league.

Aside from hearing your whiny crybaby a$$ all year, you just dropped your entire team of good players and f*cked up the league for the teams still playing.

This is not considered a NORMAL managerial move -- but simply a DICK move because you're such a poor loser.

I reinstated all your DROPS and LOCKED your team. Thanks for taking up 3 hours on my Saturday morning.

You will not be playing next year.

Good riddance.

Last edited:

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
In case anyone is wondering what I did this morning (and what happened) here's is the scoop...

So the league dickhead went ahead and dropped his entire team (other than the undroppables) and totally f*cked everything up.

I had to spend my Saturday morning re-adding/dropping those players because his dick move is not a MANAGERIAL MOVE, but a SORE LOSER move.

I then locked his team.

What a douche! Half way to 12 teams for next year! ;)

Dbbuzbee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 8, 2016
Washington DC

I then locked his team.

MJ I messaged you on Yahoo and will drop Wilson if that's what you want I would understand. Total BS move by his team but I didn't want to be left behind if everyone else picked guys up so I picked up Wilson. Let me know if you want me to drop him. And also, not that it is important but where could I find the payout structure?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ I messaged you on Yahoo and will drop Wilson if that's what you want I would understand.

Actually he did that on a different day and I believe everyone had an opportunity to pick him up ... so I let that transaction stand.

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
MJ I messaged you on Yahoo and will drop Wilson if that's what you want I would understand. Total BS move by his team but I didn't want to be left behind if everyone else picked guys up so I picked up Wilson. Let me know if you want me to drop him. And also, not that it is important but where could I find the payout structure?

Here is the payout structure from the message boards on Yahoo:

REGULAR SEASON WINNER: $300

PLAYOFFS 1ST PLACE: $1000
PLAYOFFS 2ND PLACE: $600
PLAYOFFS 3RD PLACE: $400
PLAYOFFS 4TH PLACE: $250
PLAYOFFS 5TH PLACE: $150

(PLAYOFFS WILL BE 8 TEAMS)

CONSOLATION BRACKET WINER: $100

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
I think I'm getting bundled out of the playoffs tomorrow so will get in early by saying thanks again for your league management efforts MJ, through what has obviously been a difficult year. Also enjoyed our sparring session in the draft :)

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015

Where is the consolation bracket?

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Where is the consolation bracket?

"So I just learned that when you use an 8 team playoff system, Yahoo does NOT do the consolation bracket.

Therefore the $100 that was to be assigned to the consolation bracket winner will go to the 9th place team, Squirrels Gone Wild.

My apologies for not knowing this before the season begun ... obviously the intent here was to keep teams involved the entire season.

I will post this in the NOTES section of the league so everyone knows."

MJ

bigred

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jun 16, 2013
Colorado
I think I'm getting bundled out of the playoffs tomorrow so will get in early by saying thanks again for your league management efforts MJ, through what has obviously been a difficult year. Also enjoyed our sparring session in the draft :)

Good game man! Congrats on the win and I hope you take the entire thing down (so at least I can make the excuse, I lost to the champion)!
Thank you for managing the league MJ :rockon:. I know that it's not always easy, but this league is the highlight of my fantasy year and I sincerely appreciate your work putting it together.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014

Congrats on the huge score and making another final after your 2014 effort. Not much I could have done to compete with it this time!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congrats on the huge score and making another final after your 2014 effort. Not much I could have done to compete with it this time!

Man I would have thought after you picked up Matt Ryan you had it in the bag.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Man I would have thought after you picked up Matt Ryan you had it in the bag.
I can't really complain given he was 12-1 on the season and beat me by 80+ points!

Dropping Ty Montgomery and Jarvis Landry maybe questionable calls late in the season due to the their talent, but it just wasn't translating to points at the time. A bit like David Johnson midway through last season :embarrased:

@Iwokeup using the "zero waiver $ spent" strategy has been an interesting one...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Iwokeup using the "zero waiver $ spent" strategy has been an interesting one...

Yea if he wins what do you think the odds would have been pre-season, knowing he would not use one $1 in waiver ... I'd put it at 1 to 100,000. He even played bye-week players and still won.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Yea if he wins what do you think the odds would have been pre-season, knowing he would not use one $1 in waiver ... I'd put it at 1 to 100,000. He even played bye-week players and still won.
Then add in the fact he'd drafted a def in the 8th, a kicker in the 9th, two tight ends and then another kicker in the 15th...

The waiver budget has been a nice addition this year, some interesting weekly blind bidding duels.

In the league I'm managing I think we're going to have to move to auction next season. There'll likely be a big swing towards the few three down RBs like Elliott/Johnson/Bell if healthy and a top 5 pick will either give one of those or too much draft capital via pre-draft trades of picks. I could definitely see the bidding going crazy on a guy like Elliott or Johnson.

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
Thank you Veloce Gray. I was worried that I was setting myself up for 2014 all over again, not playing the Dolphins defense and having them score 25, shades of benching Tannehill! I was thinking we were going to have a shootout, with the margin of victory 20 or less. I never imagined my team going bananas and scoring like there was no tomorrow. I'm with MJ: I saw what MattyIce did last week, as well as Coleman's points picking up, I wasn't too confident in Brees after his two last duds and Freeman's vacation last week. I'm going to enjoy the victory, but I still have one more to win. Hopefully my team can pull off another monster like this one or something close to it. Fingers crossed!

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
Thank you Veloce Gray. I was worried that I was setting myself up for 2014 all over again, not playing the Dolphins defense and having them score 25, shades of benching Tannehill! I was thinking we were going to have a shootout, with the margin of victory 20 or less. I never imagined my team going bananas and scoring like there was no tomorrow. I'm with MJ: I saw what MattyIce did last week, as well as Coleman's points picking up, I wasn't too confident in Brees after his two last duds and Freeman's vacation last week. I'm going to enjoy the victory, but I still have one more to win. Hopefully my team can pull off another monster like this one or something close to it. Fingers crossed!

I just noticed I spelled Grey wrong. It's Grey, not Gray. That one always gets me. But apparently, I can't read.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE