The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

15 Year Old Aspiring to Become a Fastlaner

Chx

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Feb 6, 2018
United States
'ello there! Hey, I'm Chx (No reason behind the name, but if I stick around here long enough, I'll definitely find some meaning for it), and this is my introduction post (!)
  • me
Hey, I'm Chx (um you already introduced yourself?)

I'm fifteen years old. (gasps ensue) freshman in High School

Born in Boston and currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Oh, the things I'd give to escape to Arizona right now and enjoy some weather above 20 degrees... if only there was some event going on there right about now? ;)

My SKILLS: Playing soccer, writing (mostly creative writing), a bit of coding, time management. Oh, and math -- I know hella math (up through Calc 3, Linear Algebra + Combinatorics for anyone who....cares)
  • This place and TMF
I've been in a solid wantrepreneurship phase for the past month and a half (a month and a half seems a lot longer when you're fifteen). For example, I watched a lot of Alex Becker videos so my brain could jerk off to his gold rolex and Ferrari.

I even indulged myself with some Tai Lopez. Word for word, I kid you not, I searched "wtf does Tai Lopez do?" and lo and behold, found some odd website called THEFASTLANEFORUM.

Poked around for a while, made an account, then decided I wanted to witness the great book and all it has to offer.

<bs>
So, I ventured to the nearest hotel, barged into a room on the third floor, and bee lined towards the night stand drawers (y'know, where they have the bibles.) I grabbed a bible titled "THE HOLY BIBLE" and went to the front desk.

I complained, "This isn't the real Bible!" The receptionist lady responded, "Do you want the real one then, hun?" I nodded, and then she handed me a shiny copy of The Millionaire Fastlane . Ahh, that's better. </bs>

Okay so that might've not happened, but what really matters is that I got my hands on a copy of The Millionaire Fastlane (okay not even that part is true -- I got my hands on a Kindle containing a copy of The Millionaire Fastlane ).

I finished the book and --- woah. My perspective on so many things changed. Have my children, @MJ DeMarco . For example, I stopped trying to think of ways to make money but instead trying to think of problems that needed to be solved.

And I'm reading UNSCRIPTED now. I don't think I've thoroughly enjoyed books like this since Lord of the Rings.
  • You guys
Holy CENTS, this is such an awesome community! I just love the sheer energy and brilliance that comes from the users here. Now that I've ingratiated you guys, please help me and give me advice on some of the questions I have! :p
  • What is the best way to make money onlin--- I'm just KIDDING :playful: don't burn me alive
  • Like I said, I'm 15. In what ways will this be advantageous/disadvantageous to me in the world of business?
  • What would you recommend as a first business to get into? Or, how can I identify a need that needs to be satisfied? (apart from the "I hate, this sucks" advice, which is pure gold by the way)
  • Like I mentioned above, I know an abnormal amount of math for my age. Does this math knowledge hold any leverage in certain markets/niches (those are correct words right ?)
  • Or any general advice for a 15 year old interested in entrepreneurship?
Thank you!
  • Normal Intro Stuff
I'm truly honored to have come across a community like this, and I sincerely hope that I will be a productive member here. If anyone decides to help me, or say anything in general to me, or look at me.... I will be grateful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanna buy my 999$ course?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot wait to become an active member here, and thanks for your time reading my post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest24480

Great intro, especially for a 15 year old - you are a strong writer maybe consider starting out with copywriting or self-publishing?

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
You are going to blink and then you will be 30. DON'T WASTE TIME, life is too fast.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
You are going to blink and then you will be 30. DON'T WASTE TIME, life is too fast.

Trust me, this is one thing I do know.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Welcome, Chx.

This is just going to be a bit of random advice from someone who has a few years (but less than a decade) on you. Advice you didn't ask for, so, my apologies.

You've got time.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't do anything or waste your days binge-watching TV. I'm not saying don't start anything. And I'm not saying, "Focus only on school. A business can wait until after college!"

But, if you're anything like me, you're going to judge a lot of your decisions based on how quickly it will work out. Five years to many people is an acceptable time for a business plan, five years for you is a third of your life.

Read. Learn. Pick up new, invaluable skills. Party a little bit (but be safe!). Make mistakes. Fall in love. Get your heart broken. Learn.

You've got time. That doesn't mean to put off working for your future. But it does mean you can operate a bit differently. Experience might be more important than cash. It might be better to learn how to code than plan to outsource. You don't have to launch the mega-business, you can cut your teeth first.

Welcome to the community. I'm hoping you stick around.

Chx

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Great intro, especially for a 15 year old - you are a strong writer maybe consider starting out with copywriting or self-publishing?
Thanks for the advice -- I'll look into copywriting for sure. One question: would my age hurt my chances with potential clients, if I pursue copywriting?

------------

Trust me, this is one thing I do know.
Of course. I think I've got a bit of an advantage by starting early, but that'll diminish
quickly if I get distracted.

------------

Welcome, Chx.

This is just going to be a bit of random advice from someone who has a few years (but less than a decade) on you. Advice you didn't ask for, so, my apologies.

You've got time.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't do anything or waste your days binge-watching TV. I'm not saying don't start anything. And I'm not saying, "Focus only on school. A business can wait until after college!"

But, if you're anything like me, you're going to judge a lot of your decisions based on how quickly it will work out. Five years to many people is an acceptable time for a business plan, five years for you is a third of your life.

Read. Learn. Pick up new, invaluable skills. Party a little bit (but be safe!). Make mistakes. Fall in love. Get your heart broken. Learn.

You've got time. That doesn't mean to put off working for your future. But it does mean you can operate a bit differently. Experience might be more important than cash. It might be better to learn how to code than plan to outsource. You don't have to launch the mega-business, you can cut your teeth first.

Welcome to the community. I'm hoping you stick around.
Any and all advice is appreciated :happy: And I agree -- at this age, I have access to free rent, food, emotional support, etc. from my parents, and free education and once-in-a-lifetime experiences at my high school. Cash is definitely not the number one priority at this point. As far as learning code goes, I've been working on that as well through edX, on and off. Thanks for the pointers, and I'll stick around alright :^P

wpendleb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 23, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Welcome Chx,

A word of advice i can give, couldn't have been said better than this:

To give background on why i agree that this is important, I'm currently in the process of leaving high school at the age of 17 to chase entrepreneurial goals. It seems the best way to spend time at a young age (and i can back this up with experience) is to simply learn. But learn things that will have purpose to your life. This is just my opinion of course.

To add in what has helped me personally to begin my pathway, try as much as possible to think for yourself and question everything. Elon Musk videos on YouTube helped here.

drumworx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 16, 2018
Sao Paulo, Brazil
'ello there! Hey, I'm Chx (No reason behind the name, but if I stick around here long enough, I'll definitely find some meaning for it), and this is my introduction post (!)
  • me

Born in Boston and currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Oh, the things I'd give to escape to Arizona right now and enjoy some weather above 20 degrees... if only there was some event going on there right about now? ;)

My SKILLS: Playing soccer, writing (mostly creative writing), a bit of coding, time management. Oh, and math -- I know hella math (up through Calc 3, Linear Algebra + Combinatorics for anyone who....cares)
  • This place and TMF
I've been in a solid wantrepreneurship phase for the past month and a half (a month and a half seems a lot longer when you're fifteen). For example, I watched a lot of Alex Becker videos so my brain could jerk off to his gold rolex and Ferrari.

I even indulged myself with some Tai Lopez. Word for word, I kid you not, I searched "wtf does Tai Lopez do?" and lo and behold, found some odd website called THEFASTLANEFORUM.

Poked around for a while, made an account, then decided I wanted to witness the great book and all it has to offer.

<bs>
So, I ventured to the nearest hotel, barged into a room on the third floor, and bee lined towards the night stand drawers (y'know, where they have the bibles.) I grabbed a bible titled "THE HOLY BIBLE" and went to the front desk.

I complained, "This isn't the real Bible!" The receptionist lady responded, "Do you want the real one then, hun?" I nodded, and then she handed me a shiny copy of The Millionaire Fastlane . Ahh, that's better. </bs>

Okay so that might've not happened, but what really matters is that I got my hands on a copy of The Millionaire Fastlane (okay not even that part is true -- I got my hands on a Kindle containing a copy of The Millionaire Fastlane ).

I finished the book and --- woah. My perspective on so many things changed. Have my children, @MJ DeMarco . For example, I stopped trying to think of ways to make money but instead trying to think of problems that needed to be solved.

And I'm reading UNSCRIPTED now. I don't think I've thoroughly enjoyed books like this since Lord of the Rings.
  • You guys
Holy CENTS, this is such an awesome community! I just love the sheer energy and brilliance that comes from the users here. Now that I've ingratiated you guys, please help me and give me advice on some of the questions I have! :p
  • What is the best way to make money onlin--- I'm just KIDDING :playful: don't burn me alive
  • Like I said, I'm 15. In what ways will this be advantageous/disadvantageous to me in the world of business?
  • What would you recommend as a first business to get into? Or, how can I identify a need that needs to be satisfied? (apart from the "I hate, this sucks" advice, which is pure gold by the way)
  • Like I mentioned above, I know an abnormal amount of math for my age. Does this math knowledge hold any leverage in certain markets/niches (those are correct words right ?)
Thank you!
  • Normal Intro Stuff
I'm truly honored to have come across a community like this, and I sincerely hope that I will be a productive member here. If anyone decides to help me, or say anything in general to me, or look at me.... I will be grateful.

I cannot wait to become an active member here, and thanks for your time reading my post.
I'm new too! Good to have you and I wish you luck. Hope you're encouraged and learn what you need to learn to take your ideas to the next level!

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
  • me

• This place and TMF

<bs>

• You guys
Thank you!
  • Normal Intro Stuff

You have an amazing writing style.Got me laughing(no kidding!).It's good to have you here.Welcome to the forum Chx.

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
You're going to kill it, don't worry about it.

I wish I was as self-aware, smart, and interested in entrepreneurship as you are when I was 15. You are able to articulate your thoughts clearly and logically, you don't take yourself too seriously and are humorous, and you have PLENTY of time to learn, screw up, learn, and succeed.

If you want to start dabbling in a few things to get your feet wet into entrepreneurship do something along what you're already interested and good at.. you mentioned them in your post (i.e. coding, math, and clearly, copywriting). Try to find a way to use these skills to help people in your immediate network.. friends, teachers, parents' friends, cousins, etc. Charge a little to start off and be low-risk from their perspective and see what results you can get them. You'll start figuring it out as you go on how to grow and further your skills to further your services.

Keep doing what you're doing and I have no doubt you're going to make it. Good luck!

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
My advice: Start building a library full of more books that help reach your goals just like TMF (aka not Harry Potter). Ask your family to give you books for bdays/xmas/etc. Don't stop until your friends start making fun of you. (Even then maybe don't stop).

Chx

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Feb 6, 2018
United States
You're going to kill it, don't worry about it.

I wish I was as self-aware, smart, and interested in entrepreneurship as you are when I was 15. You are able to articulate your thoughts clearly and logically, you don't take yourself too seriously and are humorous, and you have PLENTY of time to learn, screw up, learn, and succeed.

If you want to start dabbling in a few things to get your feet wet into entrepreneurship do something along what you're already interested and good at.. you mentioned them in your post (i.e. coding, math, and clearly, copywriting). Try to find a way to use these skills to help people in your immediate network.. friends, teachers, parents' friends, cousins, etc. Charge a little to start off and be low-risk from their perspective and see what results you can get them. You'll start figuring it out as you go on how to grow and further your skills to further your services.

Keep doing what you're doing and I have no doubt you're going to make it. Good luck!

Thank you for the kind words, jcvlds. I'm definitely considering the route you suggested, especially due to how I've already made a few bucks on the side tutoring neighbors, family friends, etc.

After all, much of entrepreneurship is simply helping others, then scaling your services to help more people, is it not?

===================

My advice: Start building a library full of more books that help reach your goals just like TMF (aka not Harry Potter). Ask your family to give you books for bdays/xmas/etc. Don't stop until your friends start making fun of you. (Even then maybe don't stop).

My parents are both major English nerds, so I already receive plenty of books -- however, Don Quixote and Pride and Prejudice won't prove particularly useful for my entrepreneurial goals, so I'd better start specifying what kind of books I'm seeking :happy:

==================

And thanks to everyone else (@Siberia, @Kennypaul, @drumworx, et al.) for the warm welcomes, I look forward to spending time here at TFLF with all of you! (And special thanks to drumworx for bumping my post, haha)

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
My parents are both major English nerds, so I already receive plenty of books -- however, Don Quixote and Pride and Prejudice won't prove particularly useful for my entrepreneurial goals, so I'd better start specifying what kind of books I'm seeking

It's probably because I have an English degree, but don't discount books that are not directly related to what you're doing.

There are still amazing lessons to be found in older classics. Often, I've found a good narrative (fiction or nonfiction) can impart lessons much more powerfully than a simple how-to book can.

Not suggesting you should limit yourself to classic pieces of literature, but you might learn a few things from Pride and Prejudice. If you've been reading material like that for most of your life, it's obviously had a great impact. It's helped form you into an exceptionally intelligent and articulate person.

Side Note: I didn't say intelligent and articulate fifteen-year-old. I said person. You present yourself better than many 'adults' that find their way into the world.

Personally, I think you should be reading for three reasons.

1) To Solve a Specific Problem / Stay On Top of Your Business
This is one of the most important reasons to read. If you need to lose weight, find respected books on the topic. If you're in the marijuana industry, then you're going to want to read the legislation that can impact your business (along with recent studies). If you're struggling with marketing, manufacturing, leadership, etc then there's probably some text, somewhere, that can help you.

If you're stuck or spinning your wheels, this might be where you need to start. It could be a book on marketing/psychology, a book on fitness, an engineering textbook, etc. Something you can read and take immediate action on.

2) To Broaden Your Horizons / Make You a Better Person
People have been dealing with almost the same problems and doing the same things for thousands of years. Loving, hating, working, playing, fighting, F*cking, drinking, laughing, and on and on. Many of those people have blessed us with their experiences in the forms of books.

Don't just read for the issue right in front of you. Read philosophy, read memoirs, read biographies, read the classics, read acclaimed fiction, read anything you can get your hands on. Stop reading it isn't speaking to you.

This is important to do because this (especially if you're using a commonplace book) is what helps you grow. Second only to firsthand experience, reading is life-changing. Alexander Hamilton might help forge your drive for success. The Power Broker can help you gain and use power. The Illiad might teach you what it means to do your duty. Unscripted teaches you how to, well, go Unscripted .

Hell, even the fantasy epic A Song of Ice and Fire (what Game of Thrones is based on) is more or less a treatise on power and influence.

This also counts 'business' things like The Charisma Myth, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Ca$hvertising, if they aren't solving an immediate problem.

You may not be able to put the advice into immediate use, but it can change how you see the world. Change how you might consider problems. Hell, maybe reading about the Pacific Campaign in the Second World War changes how you approach scaling your business. Or perhaps the memoirs of an NFL star will remind you to grit your teeth and push on.

Frederick Douglass (whose autobiography I cannot recommend enough) credits part of his escape from literal slavery to his self-education with books.

Even if it makes you more patient, kinder, or a better man and doesn't directly translate to sales, I believe that makes it worth it. That said, it making you a better person probably WILL translate to sales.

3) For Fun
Have some fun with life. Read Harry Potter. Read The Hunger Games. Read junk books. They're fun. And reading them is still a MUCH more rewarding way of spending your free time than watching mindless TV because you're engaging your brain (IIRC, there are a TON of studies on this).

Sometimes, a good fiction book is a palate cleanser. As long as this is a palate cleaner and not the main course you should be fine.

AND! You'll probably still find good gems in these types of books. For example, The Frontlines series is a sci-fi military epic about fighting aliens, but it also gives you a perspective on handling a threat that vastly outclasses you. And in fighting even if you're going to lose, because it's better to die with a rifle in your hand and a minuscule amount of control over your fate than be completely helpless.

Wow, that post really got out of hand! Sorry for my rambling, but this actually something I've been mulling over for a few days. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to lecture. :)

Last edited:

Chx

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Feb 6, 2018
United States
don't discount books that are not directly related to what you're doing.
Ah, thanks for catching me there.

I absolutely understand what you're saying.

Reading is not something that needs to be 'done in moderation' in the same fashion as eating, drinking, using social media, etc. needs to be.

You can read in class. You can read before bed. You can read pretty much anywhere.

With audiobooks, you can even read with your f*cking eyes closed.

I now realize how wrong I was in my utilitarian belief of "Only read books that provide direct benefit at that time and place!"

Wow, that post really got out of hand! Sorry for my rambling, but this actually something I've been mulling over for a few days. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to lecture.

I sincerely appreciate the 'rambling', especially since a substantial portion of my plans for the upcoming week (spring break :praise:) involve reading. Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...