The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

100 pushups x 1 month challenge

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I could barely do 7 pushups when i started and now i can do sets of 20 pushups! I went from doing 10 sets to failure to doing 100 pushups with as few sets as possible. Atm, that number is 9 sets. Trying to get it down.

That's some solid progress, good job! However, doing 10 sets to failure is WAY better than doing 100 push-ups per day with as few sets as possible.

If you can now do sets of 20, why go for 100 reps when you can surely do close to double that with 10 sets to failure? The failure is what caused your growth, so why are you getting rid of it?

You're looking for an easier way to work out, but doing so will not get you the results you're after.

D

Deleted78083

That's some solid progress, good job! However, doing 10 sets to failure is WAY better than doing 100 push-ups per day with as few sets as possible.

If you can now do sets of 20, why go for 100 reps when you can surely do close to double that with 10 sets to failure? The failure is what caused your growth, so why are you getting rid of it?

You're looking for an easier way to work out, but doing so will not get you the results you're after.
Alright alright

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Embarking on this adventure!
Just finished:

I'll join you all with the 10 sets to failure challenge. Just need to warm up to it.

Day 1:
100 Pushups Complete (5 Total Sets)

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
I guess I will join you

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Oof.

Day 2 done. 5 sets of 20.

But I needed an extra 15 seconds of rest for my last set.

I wonder why that is?
I did skip my morning jog...
Maybe my muscles weren’t warmed up enough.

Goal: 100 push-ups in 3 sets or less.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
Oof.

Day 2 done. 5 sets of 20.

But I needed an extra 15 seconds of rest for my last set.

I wonder why that is?
I did skip my morning jog...
Maybe my muscles weren’t warmed up enough.

Goal: 100 push-ups in 3 sets or less.
you will start noticing that it will get slightly harder to do the 100.

D

Deleted78083

So I have been pretty regular since I started and start to see some results.

I do 10 sets to failures Monday, Tuesday, and Friday + other exercises with my kettlebell.

I have always been a slow gainer but since i stretched out before and after exercising, i feel i am gaining faster.

I may eventually adapt the training, and do 30 sets to failures over two days (15/day) instead of doing 10 three times a week.

I figured it would exhaust the muscles more + give more time for recovery.

I'll think about it. Probably gonna do 2-3 weeks more of that current schedule, then switch to 2x15 sets per week.

D

Deleted78083

The thing about business is that you can never follow a plan as if there is such a thing as a plan, then it's unlikely to work.

"For three easy payments of $29.99, I will reveal the seven easy steps you need to take to grow an online dropshipping business from 0 to 1 million per day, from the comfort of your couch".

Edit: and figuring it out is as fun as it is frustrating.

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
9 days in.
Ease of effort comes in waves. Some days I pump them out. Other days it’s INCREDIBLY hard.

Day 15: going to bump it another set of 20.
Let’s keep at it. Going to also slowly incorporate other exercises in after Day 21 (3 week mark)

D

Deleted74925

Day one.

Plan is to try different variations

Warm up elastics
  • Chest tap pushups (push up, tap left hand on chest. Pushup. Tap right hand on chest. etc)
  • Wide grip
  • Narrow grip
  • Elevate feet 6 inches
Superset squats/hallow holds

D

Deleted74925

Can't get to the gym? Usually I do 4-5 days/week of power lifting but today I could not make it and so I improvised with some kettlebells

1 min jump rope

20 one hand chest tap push-ups
20 push-ups
20 push-ups with elevated feet
20 one hand ctap
16 push-ups
4 push-ups

18 lbs kettlebell chest press one arm x 4 sets
35 lb kettlebell swings 15 reps x 4 set
45 lb kettlebell rows x 5 reps x 5 sets
Cool down
1 min jump rope
Angels
Glute bridges

D

Deleted78083

I am evolving with my routine. I am going from 10 sets to failure 3x per week to 15 sets to failure 2x per week.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I need rest. I cant grow if I don't rest. Thanks for the vid!

I also need to eat more

You're welcome.

Is that something you've noticed in your fairly short experience with working out or just going along with what others are saying?

I've been working out for 8 years and have always noticed better and faster results by working out every day.

And yes, calculate your TDEE.

D

Deleted78083

You're welcome.

Is that something you've noticed in your fairly short experience with working out or just going along with what others are saying?

I've been working out for 8 years and have always noticed better and faster results by working out every day.

And yes, calculate your TDEE.
I have been working out for 2+ years. To be honest I never noticed much because I have a hard time growing the top of my body. My legs exploded without me doing much effort, but the top...it's just tough.

I think i need rest because when i work out too much, i am too tired and don't have effective workouts. I don't recover fast.

I started the gym with 3x per week full body workout. Then i changed after 6+ months to top-bottom each 2x a week. It was around that time that i had to throw away some clothes because they were becoming too small. So i guess i did grow.

So now I plan on doing the pushups on monday-thursday and squats + bike on tuesday-friday.

To be honest I think I simply don't eat enough, and that my carnivore diet may slow gains as well since i eat zero carb.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I have been working out for 2+ years. To be honest I never noticed much because I have a hard time growing the top of my body. My legs exploded without me doing much effort, but the top...it's just tough.

I think i need rest because when i work out too much, i am too tired and don't have effective workouts. I don't recover fast.

I started the gym with 3x per week full body workout. Then i changed after 6+ months to top-bottom each 2x a week. It was around that time that i had to throw away some clothes because they were becoming too small. So i guess i did grow.

So now I plan on doing the pushups on monday-thursday and squats + bike on tuesday-friday.

To be honest I think I simply don't eat enough, and that my carnivore diet may slow gains as well since i eat zero carb.

Yeah, I know some people with my condition (Crohn's disease) that are on zerocarb and doing well btw.

Personally, I can't survive on it because I'm allergic to beef. But I know that people eat like 2.5lbs of 80/20 ground beef and nothing else, which is like 3k calories so more than enough to bulk up.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
June 1. Up to 150/day
Sets: 25/25/20/20/20/20/20

Haven't missed a day yet.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Update: Since early june, spent ~3 months overland in Africa.
I gave up on daily pushups then a week or so in, somewhere in Uganda where I got sick.
So, I've failed from mid June to mid August.

Fired up the routine this week, started at 50, now doing 100 a day again (woof)

--
I will say... I've noticed very little change in ~6months of doing this.
Doing 5 sets of 20.

They have not gotten easier, or less strenuous.
I don't feel stronger.
Fiancee says my chest is slightly bigger, but, I think she's being nice.

So, I am back on track and doing them - but, I've not noticed much results.

Am I doing something wrong?
I'm the same weight, eating fine - I haven't been in a gym in 3 months, so probably gained 5 lbs and lost some overall muscle this trip.

But yeah, no results I can speak of?

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I gave up on daily pushups then a week or so in, somewhere in Uganda where I got sick.

--
Doing 5 sets of 20.

I don't feel stronger.

I'm the same weight, eating fine - I haven't been in a gym in 3 months, so probably gained 5 lbs and lost some overall muscle this trip.

I've said this time and time again - doing an arbitrary number of reps will NEVER lead to growth.

Aiming to do 5 sets of 20 will only bring you results when your personal BEST is 20.. or less.

This means that by rep 20, your muscle fibers will be twitching, burning, and about to completely give in. Also known as reaching failure.

And your next set will probably be in the 14-17 rep range at best.

It sounds like you can do 30, maybe 40 push-ups after a good night's sleep on your first try but are limiting yourself to 20 for some reason. Why would your body be inclined to grow if you're not pushing its limits?

Makko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 13, 2021
South Korea

--
Doing 5 sets of 20.

I don't feel stronger.

Hey there,

Tips that I wish I knew when I started ....

And they are...

- Watch your diet
- Progressively overload
- Get enough sleep
- Be very consistent with those above

Ignore any of those 4 and you'll have hard time seeing any strength or muscle gains.

1. How is your diet? Are you eating enough protein? If you really want to see muscle gains, you should eat at least 0.8g of protein per pound of bodyweight. And if you want to be really serious about it, you have to count calories you eat each day. Find out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and eat 200~300 calories above it.

2. Progressively overload. And train HARD. I mean 2~1 reps away from true failure. For every set you perform, you need to perform with full ROM (Range Of Motion) focusing on controlling the movements rather than speed. For the rep ranges, I recommend 8~12 range and once you can do 12 reps, add more weight (if you workout at home, use a backpack with books). However, the quality of each set is more important than the rep ranges. Are you training to near failure?

3. Your muscles grow when they are resting. And it does most of its healing while you sleep. The longer you can sleep, the more your muscles have the time to repair itself to come back bigger and stronger. Aim for 7 hours minimum. 8~9 hours if you can.

4. At last but not least, consistency! Sure, not all of us can do all of those above because we have family obligations and jobs. But if you want to see real results, we have to put in the time. No excuses! When I was in the military, I used to sneak in the gym through the window and get a quick workout after we had 24 hour trainings. I would carry a food scale with me to the cafeteria. Weight all food and write them down on a piece of paper. Just get it in no matter how small or short.

Also, the only supplement worth taking is whey protein and creatine monohydrate. I only take one scoop a day.

Hope this helps and DM me if you have any questions. Would love to hear from you.

Before and after photo of me after 2 years of training.

Attachments

• MyPhoto_1202748998_0188.JPG
    MyPhoto_1202748998_0188.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20201013_104214.jpg
    20201013_104214.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
It sounds like you can do 30, maybe 40 push-ups after a good night's sleep on your first try but are limiting yourself to 20 for some reason. Why would your body be inclined to grow if you're not pushing its limits?

Beats me, you ask a good question. I've never been much of a gym guy, so, no idea how it works.

It sounds like you're suggesting I do as many as I physically can to start. Just go until I physically can't.

Rest.
And do it again, till failure.

So, I might do 28, then 20, then 14... till I get to 100.
And that will help compared to arbitrary set.

I mean, it makes sense. But, pretty annoying if I've been doing pushups for 6 months, just proving I can do pushups! Not actually gaining. Grrr! lol

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
@Makko

Thank you for the super detailed response! I appreciate it.

Sleep is good
Diet is decent (been on the road for 1 straight year, hotels every night... so, it's not ideal)
Protein intake - low now, usually good when 'home'
Overloading - Yeah, I don't do that.

Sounds like I need to do pushups till failure, and add some weight! (Backpack is one of the few things I do have with me currently)
Get some more protein (tried creatine for 4-5 months, didn't notice anything, ever after 5 days a week of intense training)

Man, this stuff is complicated. I gotta get my head in the game if I want results!

Thanks gents!

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Beats me, you ask a good question. I've never been much of a gym guy, so, no idea how it works.

It sounds like you're suggesting I do as many as I physically can to start. Just go until I physically can't.

Rest.
And do it again, till failure.

So, I might do 28, then 20, then 14... till I get to 100.
And that will help compared to arbitrary set.

I mean, it makes sense. But, pretty annoying if I've been doing pushups for 6 months, just proving I can do pushups! Not actually gaining. Grrr! lol

Yep, that's exactly what you have to do and I'm sure you'll gain.

5 sets will work, but you have to do them every day imo. If you can't do 10 sets of this every day, do 10 sets every other day.

In regards to creatine not doing anything - it's a supplement designed for people who train to failure i.e it helps you squeeze out a rep or two extra before you drop to the floor. That and the fact that you need to drink a LOT of water while taking it means you likely weren't utilizing it at all, so it's no wonder you didn't notice anything.

Lastly, our bodies adapt to stress. I've got a lot of friends who supposedly lift heavy and work out for 1-2 hours in the gym every day, and yet have nothing to show for it and secretly envy my physique (nothing special, but I look decently muscular for my height and weight, you can see a pic on the 3rd or 4th page).

The reason I have better results and they don't is because I do stuff that's hard while they lift weights doing whatever the F*ck program X fitness guru told them to do.. and they're fixated on numbers only. Those numbers are either too light/insufficient for their strength level or too much i.e they either undertrain or injure themselves.

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Yeah. I unfortunately stopped this challenge and just enrolled in a gym. More gains and body changes have happened the last 4 weeks then the push-up challenge did for me. Not to knock the challenge but if you're already fit, this won't be enough.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.