The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unilever buys Dollar Shave Club for One Billion Dollars

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
They did invest profits back into the business...
Amazon didn't turn a profit for something like 20 years straight.

Let me give an example of the situation I'm thinking of. Say I have a business that brings in $10 million / year. Before salaries it costs $1 million / year to operate the business. If I give myself a $9 million / year salary, am I allowed to say I don't have a profitable business? I'm sure the IRS have regulations against this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Let me give an example of the situation I'm thinking of. Say I have a business that brings in $10 million / year. Before salaries it costs $1 million / year to operate the business. If I give myself a $9 million / year salary, am I allowed to say I don't have a profitable business? I'm sure the IRS have regulations against this?
That's not what I mean.
Dollar Shave Club is in a huge market. Instead of paying themselves huge salaries they reinvested all the profits into business growth to get more market share. By getting more market share the value of the business increases so even through they didn't payed themselves huge salaries they increased there net worth year by year (equity ownership) and tax free that is.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I don't care about shaving enough to try to change people's lives.

I'm sure Elon Musk didn't care about credit card processing that much either.

For a billion dollars, you would care.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I'm sure Elon Musk didn't care about credit card processing that much either.

For a billion dollars, you would care.
He said 5 things that would change the world:
The Internet, sustainable energy, space exploration, artificial intelligence, and rewriting human intelligence.

I'm not gonna argue whether or not shaving has as much merit or value. Just not for me.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Just not for me.

Great example. This razorblade case basicly screams: "it's not about me, it's about the customers".

That's why he's killing it.

You think @IceCreamKid gives a damn about the fact if carpets are something for him? No, he just saw a saturated market which he could improve by excellent customer service.

That's why he's killing it.

Since I realize this, I'm giving away ideas simply because I don't have time and energy to chase them all.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
This kind of disruption is a highly legitimate business strategy. All the business geniuses in the comments section of the various news sites reporting this are like "lol what a rip off it only made $150M last year!"

If you are new to market and sell product X and your competitor has been in the market for a long time and sells product X, and you sell product X for $5 and your competitor sells product X for $20, you making $150M in sales a year costs your rival roughly $600,000,000 a year.

That's why they got bought.
Unilever did not previously own a shaving brand. Over 2B customers using their products everyday. None of which are shave products. That's 2B customers they can sell their razors to now. Unilever is going after Gillette full throttle. That's why they bought DSC.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Unilever did not previously own a shaving brand. Over 2B customers using their products everyday. None of which are shave products. That's 2B customers they can sell their razors to now. Unilever is going after Gillette full throttle. That's why they bought DSC.
Lol, wow, I always assumed they had one in there somewhere. They own so many personal care lines.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Looks like another person will be buying a Bugatti and posting the pics.

I hope it's somebody here next time.

Pn538Nr.jpg

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.