The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your job ? What do you do?

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
The modern day slavery trap.

On a side note: It is amazing what a couple of years on this forum and learning from the right people here and there can do to a persons clarity of perception. When you see through all the scams and slavery you have to go find new friends, no matter how long you've known them, because they all think your nuts now lol; the divide does become staggering.

A rant after having dinner with some long time friends from out of town.

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
I'm in IT, currently a techician for national customers with travel about 1 week a month in total. I do it all. Good thing about doing onsite service at customers it that you get out early all the time if you play the game right.:) Soon to be virutal server admin.

Unlike most of you guys, I love my job. I think it's because i'm working with technology which i love, and am constantly learning new technologies. My weeks/months literally fly by and I do not dread Mondays.

Working on a fastlane business right now also.... something to do with laptops and their performance :thumbsup:

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm a young music video director. Started 2 years ago and now I'm one of the top directors in my city. Helped a rapper my age (19) get signed under a division of Epic Recordings. Got "picked up" by Machine Gun Kelly's (Rapper Also) label to work with his artist, learn, and gain more experience.

I'm now trying to learn more about marketing to help brand myself more and increase opportunities.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Everyone in this thread should stop referring themselves by their current occupation.

The title of the thread asks "what is your job?" & "what do you do?" therefore I answered with both. How beneficial would a thread be where 50 people simply responded with ENTREPRENEUR!!!!!! That's a given, my friend, otherwise we would not be here. And what you see are the answers to the question the original poster posited.

Mach79

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Feb 26, 2013
The midwestern US
Corporate jet pilot for a leading charter/fractional company. Don't hate my job, and make decent money, but it's not Fastlane. Currently learning, exploring, investigating internet based retailing. Not just dreaming, taking deliberate action to move into the Fastlane.

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
Im 26 - will be 27 this summer and working as a full time electrical engineer in the power industry.... I also own about 150 domains, have a few comic related blogs (that get me press pass to every comic con :) ), some various micro niche websites, and I buy/sell just about any collectible - from video games to comics

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
It seems I'm the only one so far, but I'm a software developer by trade. My current job is QA Engineer at one of the top 3 grossing facebook game companies (we like to gamble). I get paid pretty well for my experience.. I have 1 year of normal QA experience on enterprise applications and half a year as a software developer and I make $55k. Not amazing but I'm contracted right now so I get paid double on overtime, which I do fairly frequently. My last job I worked 60 hours a week for $40k no recognition, no raise, and ended up getting fired. Hated that situation. It was in the throes of hating myself and that job that I discovered this forum and MJs book.

I settled for this job because I get paid a lot to sit around with high tech mobile devices and hit buttons. Yep, that's my entire job. hit buttons on iPad 4s and iPhone 5s all day. Very low stress, I'm much healthier, and I have the brainspace to work on personal projects like the app I've decided on.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I teach high school band.

Pros:
Guiding kids through life, building relationships, being a father figure to some.
I get to study great music literature in-depth, which I find fascinating.
Watching kids achieve great things as a team, and being proud that I helped to create that.
Significant stipend on top of an average teacher pay.
On my feet all day (won't get fat), and every day is something new.
Get a nice tan from marching band practice.
Some free-time in the summer (Marching band prep takes up most of August, so I don't get as much time as most teachers).
Whataburger gift cards

Cons:
My area has the highest expectations for high school bands in the country. Thus, many hours and extra rehearsals that go above and beyond the 9-4 school day are spent in an effort to push the envelope. Yes, you wouldn't believe what some of these students are doing, and it's admirable, but it sure is a beat down. Many people in my profession (at least around here) are out in less than 3 years.
Entitled kids, and terrible parents that back them up.
Tons of paperwork. School finance bureaucracies are huge headaches.
Have to go to football games and pretend to give a shit. We made playoffs this year = more weekends of free-time, gone.
State testing is always taking my kids away from me and makes concert preparation difficult.

Not to mention that my state's legislature just screwed any guys my age when it comes to retirement benefits (can't get them until 65, or penalized significantly). Not that I was planning on working past 35, but still. On the side, I buy and sell used cell phones to pay the bills and knock out some debt. Also beginning development on a fastlane idea, we'll see what happens.

mrsilva

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 25, 2012
Self-Employed

I'm helping my friend that opened a trading/export/logistic business with some consulting, financial, marketing and sales. Is great because is a very interesting and lucrative business, I'm learning a lot and making enough money to "survive".

And on the other side.. I flip cars with a little money that I have. And for the most expensive ones I use the "investor" money.

MartyMcGee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 8, 2013
Interesting way to phrase the question 'What's you job? What do you do?' Implying that these are two separate things. Of course, this is likely the way that many of us think about our lives. We see the 'what we do for a living' as being distinct from 'who we are'.

Anyway, without getting too philosophical, I am a SEO and Internet Marketing guy. I used to be an engineer though and when I was doing that I definitely had the work / life duality thing. Definitely feeling more like a whole person now!

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Sales definitely has its ups and downs. I find the key is to set your expectations low, while hoping for the best.

While I agree with your post nearly entirely I'd like to give an alternate perspective on this particular line. It's not personal against you I'm sure you're very successful.

In short: it's a recipe for disaster. You never set your expectations low otherwise you'll only have low achievements. And the crazy thing is, you'll be satisfied with these lowly achievements! Because they match your expectations!

Here's why I was successful in sales and continuously outsold people. I set my expectations HIGH, very high. I always set them past my old achievements to where I wanted to be and once I reached it I set another, higher, goal. Here's why most salespeople fail or at least never do extremely well. They set low "realistic" goals then when they reach them, they stop, their day, their week, their year is essentially done because they achieved a low goal. By setting a goal out of reach you'll learn to reach further, work harder, sell more, and not stop.

If you're in sales buy: The Best Damn Salesbook. It's amazing.

Set your goals (something exciting) make a plan to get there and break it down by month, week, and day. And you'll reach it.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
I'm a police officer, and have been for five years. My goal is to get into the fast lane and eventually be able to leave my job early and gain financial freedom.

If that never happens, I will retire after 25 years of service HOPEFULLY with a government pension.

I'm going to work my a$$ off to make sure I get into the damn fast lane though.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Pedro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 4, 2013
NYC
I just graduated from residency and work as a physician in a private group, salary is pretty decent and is a 10-5 job but after reading MJs book and realizing that I'm in the slowlane I am very motivated to start learning new things to get on the fastlane ASAP. Its been a lil overwhelming since I didnt learned anything business related all those years of medschool and there is so much info out there that sometimes is difficult to know if im in the right path of learning or not. Im looking forward to learn and apply as much as possible from fastlaners in this forum.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I manufacture money.

TimeSlap

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Feb 4, 2014
I am the head analyst for an online marketing company. I create and manage campaigns in adwords and do client site analysis and create the plan of attack for the rest of the team. I get to telecommute 2 days a week and at night I am figuring out what my comeback revenue stream will be. My day time gig is the first W2 i've had in about 8 years.

theTAXpert

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I'm 27 and a CPA by profession, went the big Four route, then the internal audit route, then I thought I was going Fastlane by starting my own tax prep business - although business is great, I recently realized that I just created a glorified job for myself.

Started actually reading 2 years ago, including TFM, and realized that I need a different approach to really go Fastlane. Changed my business model, hired tax analysts, and I'm now focused on growing the business rather than churning out tax returns. My full time job is making connections and adding value to my clients.

One thing I am still wrestling with is how to reach more people (thinking nationally or even globally) as opposed to local clientele. Overall pleased with the progress.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Freelance AdWords coach and consultant. I work from home 4 days a week, and most evenings for a couple of hours. I love where I am at, and love what I do. I would like to help more people so am trying to capture and leverage my knowledge better so that it can scale. It's a work in progress, and you can see what I am doing and how I am doing it here in thefastlaneforum....

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I actually had some a$$ hat ask me for my resume a month ago. I just laughed. I haven't had a resume in 10 years. Do people still even have resumes?
What? Trying to imagine the situation that would have prompted this....

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Paramedic. Been on the streets for way too long so I'm starting a software business to make EMS and emergency medicine better.
And I find what you do to be incredibly important. Wish I had EMS guys like you where I work....

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Paramedic. Been on the streets for way too long so I'm starting a software business to make EMS and emergency medicine better.
Sigh. Yeah man, I hear you. I probably won't give up on this, not totally.

I'm actually inspired by the story of an ED physician that I ran across at one of my away rotations in medical school. This guy was coming on shift and you would have thought that a rock star was descending on the place by all of the buzz emanating from the nurses, residents, and other attendings.

Turns out that the guy had developed some sort of multi-million/billion dollar medical device and was reported to be richer than Croesus. I asked him why he still worked in the ER (part time, of course) and he replied, "Nothing, and I mean nothing beats saving a life and knowing that you were the one to do it."
My family and I thank you both. I have the stent to prove it :)

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Back in the day I patrolled the mean streets of Richmond as an EMT. I decided to put up some reminders in my cube at the day job that I occasionally did interesting, dynamic and (once in a while) important work.

It's also a reminder to all that pass that yes, the Yankees do suck.
IMAG0923.jpg

D

DeletedUser86

Got out of the military and now work for a company that fixes gas stations. Thinking how I can find an angle on this niche once I learn the ins-and-outs. I have a couple ideas already, just not sure if I will run into some proprietary issues

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Funny is the amount of props we get after people finding out we are doing soap......then a few moments going by....... Then 'wait a minute'......... Then they ask if this has anything to do with credit cards......

0cean23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 16, 2015
Whilst I believe it will maintain a relatively slowlane process, I was at a wedding in Ireland this year and the photographer was from Australia.
Basically he set up website,connected with other photographers worldwide through various forums and other social networking avenues.

What he got was pretty cool-He realised that when it was winter in Australia, it was summer somewhere else in the world and he would move to say the UK and base himself there for a few months of the year and from what was otherwise going to be a slow, financially negative situation turned into a positive money stream where he had 1/2 weddings per week.

Not saying it wasnt hard to build up some type of profile but if he can, theres nothing stopping you.

Just a thought

Do you recall his name? Was it Jerry Ghionis? I know of an Australian photographer who is exactly as your describe. He's well known in the wedding photography industry.

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
Well, does this have to be a slowlane job? I never had one of those. Closest, I came was enlisting in the Marines (1996-2002) 95% has been working in restaurants and filling all positions expect manager and server.The other 5% has been as a Marine and Self Employed.
Thank you for your service.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.