The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your job ? What do you do?

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 11, 2015
I work in construction contracts. It pays very well for a slowlane job. Many times more than I ever thought I'd earn at one point in life. I dreamt of earning a sixth of my current salary 10 years ago, I even have a 'dream board' type sheet that I drew up on my 18th birthday. Isn't it funny how that isn't enough once your perception changes?

I've ticked off most things on that board if not all of them, yet I feel extremely unfulfilled and will do until I replace employment

The flip side is, it consumes my time and devours my soul. So the countdown is ticking..

Had a few jobs:

Television Director (my show airs in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, coming to the UK, US, and Canada soon)
O-2

Mind if I ask what the show is? (I'm in Australia, so just generally curious :) )

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm a 32 yo female retail pharmacist (recent grad), although I've been in this setting with the same company for 13+ years. Definitely a slow-lane lifestyle, although I do enjoy pharmacy.

Always have been interested in entrepreneurship and building my own brand. Grateful for this forum and the Millionaire Fastlane book. Just started reading and eager to learn as much as I can. Seems like I'm way older than most people on here though :/.

Feel like I've fallen behind and could have made better choices in my 20's but I have to start somewhere.

You are definitely not the oldest here; you young whippersnapper! :)

If the book doesn't make you feel like you could have made better choices in the 20s, you're either already an advanced fastlaner, or you're not reading it right!

Oh and you're in a really protected industry; I bet you could find some really good entrepreneurial opportunities within pharmacy.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I'm a 32 yo female retail pharmacist (recent grad), although I've been in this setting with the same company for 13+ years. Definitely a slow-lane lifestyle, although I do enjoy pharmacy.

Always have been interested in entrepreneurship and building my own brand. Grateful for this forum and the Millionaire Fastlane book. Just started reading and eager to learn as much as I can. Seems like I'm way older than most people on here though :/.

Feel like I've fallen behind and could have made better choices in my 20's but I have to start somewhere.

I'm a pharma rep, there are definitely some fastlane business ideas for a PharmD. Shoot me a message if you want to talk them over.

GameOver

World Domination
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 11, 2017
USA
This thread has been a really interesting read; I'll keep checking-in on it!

I'm in management at a Fortune 500 company. I direct technical folks' work (not the nuts and bolts anymore, more like the long-term strategy stuff), interface with our customers and essentially sell them new products, interface with our senior leaders, and so on. I'm sort of an operations kind of guy I suppose. It's been a good job but I'm just about ready to venture-out into my own space.

There's some more background in my introduction thread over here (I am still relatively new on this board):

Introduction - Extremely successful Corp. America burnout looking for freedom. Let's talk about it!

liite

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 2, 2011
Concierge at a 5* Hotel. As far as a job goes it's pritty good. I've had the opportunity to meet some very interesting people, lots of business owners, CEO's of large corporations, celebrities etc. Got to drive some exceptionally nice cars. But at the end of the day it's still just another job.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Dennis does this "I did video production, editing, special effects, and motion graphics." stuff pay the bills decent as a gig, how about as a job? It doesn't seem too terrible as it is creative job wise.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
Student and currently graduating by doing a project/internship at a local business which is very mind numbing.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
Telecommunications Field Tech for a Fortune 15 company. The executives in this company are slowly killing it by contracting out the customer service to idiots.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
Currently a field IT tech for a local government entity. Boring, menial work that I hope to leave behind soon.

The executives in this company are slowly killing it by contracting out the customer service to idiots.
This seems to be what is going on with every company.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Dennis does this "I did video production, editing, special effects, and motion graphics." stuff pay the bills decent as a gig, how about as a job? It doesn't seem too terrible as it is creative job wise.

Honestly, I didn't make a lot of money. Less than 40K/year at my highest point. A lot of stuff I did I could never show to anybody ever under an NDA. I did 90% of the work, we showed the client, and then we sent it to a finishing house who put the final touches on it and got all the credit. It was a really crappy system.

Hours were unpredictable. Some days I'd get to leave the office at 3, other days I'd come in at 9am and leave the following day at 4am (still expected to be in by 9). Lots of broken plans and giving up personal freedom for seeminlgy no additional reward (On salary so I didn't get paid overtime).

Creatively the job was great at times and dull at other times. I got to practice my craft and do projects that grew me as a person... but other times (because the video department was so small) I'd be organizing tapes, digitizing files, backing up harddrives, shipping assets to our backup site, and running diagnostics on our backup servers. The job was around 50/50 great stuff and boring stuff.

I would have loved to stick around the company, it wasn't my choice to leave. We lost huge clients and that was that.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I was wondering what you liked/disliked about being a commercial broker. I have been considering it for a while as a way to add some additional capital, I am working with real estate on the development side, but I am afraid it will be to rigid and corporate for me.

Well, in CRE brokerage, to be successful, you basically have to put in a lot of time of networking/building a presence in a single geographical area. Thats one thing I realized is not for me (especially with my current area being in Switzerland, where I don't want to stay longer than necessary). I want to have some level of geograpghical flexibility (not like a "lifestyle-business", but also not limited to one area).

Another thing that I don't like is that you put in a lot of time to be successful, but you're not building an asset. As an entrepreneur you're putting in the same or more time but you asset grows with time. As a broker you're always on the hunt for the next paycheck. Of course it gets easier as you gain contacts with time, but still..

I also don't like being "restricted" to one area of business, in this case obviously real estate.

And furthermore, I don't like the opportunities to earn money. In RE its harder to scale than in another business area or of course an internet business. Of course there are top brokers who pull in 7 figures a year and RE investors/developers can do even more. But you have to be in the top 0,0001% to do that, which is even harder than building a successful business.

Don't know if this makes sense, but I think beyond the reasons listed above, I mainly have the feeling that it just isn't "for me".

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
Started an advertising agency 6 months ago, my job consists of finding great sales talent and making the right media-choices for our clients. We outsource everything else (from idea to production).

Was in nightlife before (never again)

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Working in my fathers Food Takeaway just now its extremely busy with alot of work and customers daily only going to be at it for another few months then hopefully move on to something better the wage is good but for what im doing..
Its such a kick in the teeth to consider 5 years ago when i was only 19 I had my own Car Dealership with 34 cars in stock.. At least ill respect a good job and money next time around :)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Doorman at an upscale Gentlemen's Clubs(strip club) for 2 1/2 yrs now. Before that I worked for a hard money lender. Before that....15 other jobs. I have a Bachelor's in Business.

I've been using my position to network with our good customers. It's worked out well. Working on my own project and looking forward to a launch.

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 6, 2012
Germany
Graduating as a Marketing & Sales Intern in a B2B Start Up from Belgium.
We are a software developer and sell Saas to medical/pharma coorporations.

Pros:
I can pretty much work from everywhere I want. I only need my Laptop and a phone line.
I've learned a lot about business and business practice since I am there.
But I also learned that it takes balls of steel to run a company.
So many things you can get hung up in.

Last week I was at a Microsoft Event to speak with Microsoft Partners.
I am learning a lot about the distribution model and what VARs look for in
new software.

Pros/Cons: The job has a lot of sides and I am in charge of a lot of things. That makes it pretty time consuming.

Cons: Between traveling to events, etc. I work from an home office and I am not a big
fan of that. I assumed I could work in Belgium, to be able to see a new area.

Pros: I work together with a business crack. He's 65 years old and has tons of experience as a business
owner and consultant. I learn a lot from him.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I recently quit my job cleaning gutters and doing roofing work. Now I just do the marketing and sales for it, and my own thing. Prior to that I worked in brick masonry for 4 years, talk about BRUTAL work.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
I run a hypnosis business. Oh, who am I kidding?... I'm a self-employed hypnotist with a Slowlane micro-practice and an idiot for a boss.

Pros:
easy to market because it's weird,
can set own schedule,
not replicable, so cannot be turned into a commodity or outsourced,
can devote time to Fastlane development efforts,
competition is weak (mostly hobbyists and "heart centered helper" types who aren't playing to win, so it's easy to develop strong, distinct USP),
get to work with interesting people

Cons:
have to be careful about "who not to work with"(ppl who are mentally ill, ppl who have severe personality disorders, or ppl who are simply passive schlubs who want a hypnotist to control their life for them),
not scalable or replicable (while retaining efficacy, at least),
income dependent on Time,
can devote time to Fastlane development efforts that are just Slowlane in disguise (have failed so many times with attempts at stuff like affiliate marketing, dropshipping, MLM yecch),
competition is weak (burning the market with dumb marketing and business practices),
results are inherently beyond control (not a matter of "run a process, get a result" --- drives me crazy)

I used to be in the tech field in roles incl. general peon, manager, and independent consultant.

AlexV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 12, 2013
Munich, Germany
I've got my Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering and now working in development in the automotive industry as an technical project manager.

Pros:
-I learn alot of sales (we need to sell to keep it up), negotiations (in automotive every freaking cent matters because it is all around the volume you sell), people handling all over the world (have some guys in China and India doing the tasks I send, and some in the US which do their share), structural thinking, time management
-competitive field (I love the thrill of it)
-I'm not the usual corporate droid doing everything by the book and I tend to avoid every meeting I can(real time waste) so I finish my jobs pretty fast and have half of the working day for developing my fastlane plane and me
-I can wear suits and smart casual clothes without people looking weird at me(love being smart, even if it sound a little cocky)

Cons:
-limited pay, not bad but surely not fastlane
-fix work hours
-I need to be at the spot everyday
-working with droids, intelligent ones, but still droids which don't usually understand different mentalities
-when it burns, then it burns and I'm usually called in to avoid catastrophic outcomes (we had 3 cars last month that exploded on tests)

I want to exit this rat race even if at some point I like it, but it is not what I wish for my family and I

OXVO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jan 5, 2013
CT, USA
Self employed, partner.

Designer, Web Development
Entrepreneurial ventures

Medium/slow lane if I had to label it lol

- Bachelors in graphic and visual communications

- Soon to be, Bachelors in entrepreneurship

G

GuestUser8117

I don't work currently but I'm thinking about working in international relationships while I fund the business. Not easy to start a business when you are in the rat race.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Is that user being paid to build backlinks to Boston Analytics? I guess it means they paid some SEO company that is doing a really crappy job? I wonder how their executive team composed of supposed strategy experts such as Kimberlee Luce, Devesh Bahl, and Inder Thukral, would feel knowing that their SEO firm is causing their corporate brand and personal reputations to be associated with clueless SPAM tactics.

G

GuestUser8117

My country(Quebec, Canada) want to extend the retirement age to 67. What a sad new. The fastlane is clearly the only alternative for those who don't want to be rats all their life. One reason I don't want to have kids is because it's almost sure they will be in the rat race their entire life.

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
Interesting, my friend I am a little curious to know why you have a 150 domain name?

I actively buy/sell domains. I am a BIG fan of .co domains - made a few thousand selling them over the years - its not a life changing amount of money - but I am happy with it. Some of favorites are: Merchant.co and Comic.co

Most of my domains are developed into micro niche sites, then I have about 50 .CO domains, and the rest are various products/items I came across that I decided to register.

I am not a true serious domain investor - there are people with tens of thousands of domains that make a living off buying/sell domains. Rick Schwartz, Mike Mann, Mike Berkens are a few of the top dogs. It's an interesting field if you are new to it.

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
I currently work in tech support for a large controls and automation electronics manufacturing company. Any touchpanel you use in a corporate board room or conference room is probably one of our products. We are a huge partner with Microsoft and their entire campus is full of our hardware.

Working in tech support the actual job is probably the lowest form of corporate employment one could have. I just answer tech support calls and talk to customers all day. The one positive is it is a customer facing position, so my real job is building a website business and having strong customer service skills can definitely help in that regard. Using this job to pay off my debts of school, as I have a bachelors and masters in Electrical Engineering.

I was trying to find a new job in actual Engineering work until I read MJ's book. Now trying to build a business to pay off the loans instead and leave the rat race. Seeing that this job I don't really have to pay attention to the phone calls, I can screw around on my other monitor and build sites and do the design work while taking care of work on the other monitor or whatever else I need to do.

I figured out everything comes down to your mindset and focus. I realized a lot of my mindset was in the wrong places. Now I'm putting all focus on instead of finding another slowlane job, creating a fastlane business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.