The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you love cold calling…no reason you can’t be a millionaire in a few years…

JoeyF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 17, 2016
This grabbed my attention last night as it's something that's been on my mind lately.

Agree/Disagree?

60173A1D-D938-4627-A3A3-5DBB409C744A.jpeg

I personally think it's dead on the money.

It's amazing how well cold calling still works.

With the right product/audience fit, you can literally sit and make easy sales just by introducing yourself and what you do with a quick 30 second elevator pitch.

My question is, what are some really good products or services to sell to make maximum use out of your willingness to pick up a phone and dial some numbers? :)

Thoughts?

PS The Twitter account that posted this is good content, he buys and flips strip malls!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• 0B3ED60E-1DB2-45A4-B76B-84D9EEB0AE19.png
    0B3ED60E-1DB2-45A4-B76B-84D9EEB0AE19.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

DonnyDinero

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Dec 22, 2021
From what I've been hearing lately, now a days what works is your Website/Social media turns cold leads into warm leads then High Ticket Close them.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
He might as well have said "if you're a unicorn, you have a huge gift." LOL is there a single person in the entire world who genuinely loves cold calling? This has to be the #1 most hated job in the world.

JoeyF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 17, 2016
He might as well have said "if you're a unicorn, you have a huge gift." LOL is there a single person in the entire world who genuinely loves cold calling? This has to be the #1 most hated job in the world.

LoL

Yeah, I think that's his point! Maybe enjoy is a strong word but for people who are perfectly comfortable sitting banging out cold calls and good at doing that, it can be extremely lucrative with the right product.

I believe he's referring to what he's seeing in the RE world, where folk are hammering the phones finding juicy deals and rinse repeat... ;-)

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016

With a killer product or service, I could see myself enjoying this. I already did a ton of cold calling 2 years ago when I was first starting out and I had zero confidence and it worked well.

I had no idea how to advertise at the time and was fixated on what I was offering rather than what the person's needs on the other end were. So having a clear idea of your value proposition and what makes your audience tick + a fun and friendly approach, and it could work wonders for everyone involved.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Gotta love the circle-jerk that is business Twitter. What an absolute useless platitude. Just replace cold-calling with damn near anything else and the people that do that thing will flock.
  • If you love coding you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.
  • If you love writing erotica you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.
  • If you love selling cocaine you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.
  • If you love doing cocaine you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.
  • If you love hot butt sex you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.
BRB creating a Twitter account to sell Gumroad courses.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
If you love hot butt sex you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.

Oh, if only..

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
1649429808127.png

For real though, Cold Calling is some of the most gangster shit in business

Mathuin

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Gotta love the circle-jerk that is business Twitter. What an absolute useless platitude. Just replace cold-calling with damn near anything else and the people that do that thing will flock
Hey man, did you know "Discipline is a superpower"?

KNAWLEDGE

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
As someone who has cold-called for a living, I second this.

JoeyF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 17, 2016
It's funny, I forgot how allergic people are to cold calling, it's been so long since I've taken part in a discussion on a forum about it.

I get it, fear of rejection, not wanting to be a bother, performance anxiety, even a lil' touch of existential dread all wrapped up into a nice little bundle.

It's not hard to understand why it seems like an impossible task for 90% of the population and then deeply unpleasant for most of the remaining 10%.

Not to mention, the emotionally scarred who worked in a call centre at some point lol.

But if you can chew through that and see it for what it is, ie, the chance to discuss your product or service with 200 people today, make actual sales today, prove or grow your business today, it can be extremely rewarding and fun.

Sure you can send out emails or direct mail and wait to see who responds, deal with the response from there, that works too.

But if you're a great communicator, there's something magical about grabbing the bull by the horns and creating cash flow, success, results on demand in real time, out of thin air.

Mathuin

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I'm genuinely shocked. I mean, most of my introverted friends hate making calls but the MOST hated job? Doubtful.

I know I act crazy on here sometimes but I'm ENTJ and I give no f#cks at all. I'm compassionate and silly and randomly intelligent and ummm..

I love talking to people! I love connecting! I love helping ppl create or find something new. I don't mind cold calling at all. It's fun.

My problem is I don't like selling stuff I don't believe in.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
This thread got me fired up...

I haven't done a cold call in forever. But I had a weird situation come up.

Google started ranking one of my clients on the first page for a service that only a computer would think is related to what my client does for a living.

I don't want to say specifically what the term is, so let's pretend my business coach client suddenly started ranking for the term football coach.

Anyways, I'm driving to his office yesterday and in the office suite next to his is a company that does "football coaching". I never cared to notice before, but I'm not going to let an opportunity like this pass me by...

So after my client meeting, I walk next door, knock on the door, and have a quick chat with the office manager there about my service, about how his neighbor is ranking for something that I think he should, and would he be interested in SEO?

Turns out they have a corporate office in California, he'll pass my info along, but he flat out told me not to expect anything.

Okay. Fair enough. But I'm not going to let this opportunity slide...

So I go back to my office at 3:00 p.m. on a Friday afternoon, do the Google search again, and start calling people that are on the second page to show them my "business coach" client is outranking them for "football coaching services".

Two phone calls later I have an appointment set with a "football coach" for next Friday.

I don't love cold calling, but it is good to know I still got the touch when necessary.

If you know me know now, yeah sure, I'm another outgoing dude. Someone on the forum called me the most extraverted extravert they ever met. But I grew up a bookish nerd who struggled to make friends and definitely didn't want to develop "sales skills". If I can do it, I think anyone can.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This thread got me fired up...

I haven't done a cold call in forever. But I had a weird situation come up.

Google started ranking one of my clients on the first page for a service that only a computer would think is related to what my client does for a living.

I don't want to say specifically what the term is, so let's pretend my business coach client suddenly started ranking for the term football coach.

Anyways, I'm driving to his office yesterday and in the office suite next to his is a company that does "football coaching". I never cared to notice before, but I'm not going to let an opportunity like this pass me by...

So after my client meeting, I walk next door, knock on the door, and have a quick chat with the office manager there about my service, about how his neighbor is ranking for something that I think he should, and would he be interested in SEO?

Turns out they have a corporate office in California, he'll pass my info along, but he flat out told me not to expect anything.

Okay. Fair enough. But I'm not going to let this opportunity slide...

So I go back to my office at 3:00 p.m. on a Friday afternoon, do the Google search again, and start calling people that are on the second page to show them my "business coach" client is outranking them for "football coaching services".

Two phone calls later I have an appointment set with a "football coach" for next Friday.

I don't love cold calling, but it is good to know I still got the touch when necessary.

If you know me know now, yeah sure, I'm another outgoing dude. Someone on the forum called me the most extraverted extravert they ever met. But I grew up a bookish nerd who struggled to make friends and definitely didn't want to develop "sales skills". If I can do it, I think anyone can.
Reminds me of a couple of favourite lines:

“Tell me what you’ve done and I’ll tell you who you are.”

“Show, don’t tell.”

You didn’t ring telling them what you’d do. You rang showing what you’d done.

I had some fun cold-calls when I generated a lead and was trying to find a business to service it.

Thabisozwane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 30, 2021
Gotta love the circle-jerk that is business Twitter. What an absolute useless platitude. Just replace cold-calling with damn near anything else and the people that do that thing will flock.
  • If you love coding you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.
  • If you love writing erotica you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.
  • If you love selling cocaine you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.
  • If you love doing cocaine you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.
  • If you love hot butt sex you have a huge gift. There's no reason why you can't be a millionaire in a few years if you harness it correctly and choose the right product/audience.
this dude is funny

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I'm getting the reverse...the affiliate marketers on my email list sell Gumroad courses for winning at Twitter

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
This grabbed my attention last night as it's something that's been on my mind lately.

Agree/Disagree?

View attachment 42914

I personally think it's dead on the money.

It's amazing how well cold calling still works.

With the right product/audience fit, you can literally sit and make easy sales just by introducing yourself and what you do with a quick 30 second elevator pitch.

My question is, what are some really good products or services to sell to make maximum use out of your willingness to pick up a phone and dial some numbers? :)

Thoughts?

PS The Twitter account that posted this is good content, he buys and flips strip malls!
These are typical sensational remark that distracts from the complexity of sales and business.

First in most countries there is Do not call registry.

"With the right product-audience fit", yes..that' like saying if you have a business that sells...you will be rich.

The purpose of cold calling or marketing in general at the beginning phase is to test if you have product market fit at all if you are starting a new business.

If cold calling is gold, most business owners could just get rich hiring callers from Philippine to do for them.

At end of day it's the roi, you invest your time and money into cold calling and look at the quality of leads and the margin of your sales.

My experience with cold calling has not been good. Primarily because cold leads do not trust you could troll you can cancel multiple appointments and waste your time further. There is no consequences for lack of respect of time of someone whom you only know via voice 2 days ago.

These time could be better spent building value for existing clients base or warm leads that could lead to referrals.

At end of day it is the roi.

JoeyF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 17, 2016
These are typical sensational remark that distracts from the complexity of sales and business.

First in most countries there is Do not call registry.

This isn’t really an issue as you just make sure to buy clean data from a reliable company.

"With the right product-audience fit", yes..that' like saying if you have a business that sells...you will be rich.

Eh? Plenty of businesses go down despite having a good product market fit because they couldn’t figure out sales.

The purpose of cold calling or marketing in general at the beginning phase is to test if you have product market fit at all if you are starting a new business.

Really? That’s it’s “purpose”? Says….who? Tell that to the blue chip companies making millions daily with huge call centers pumping long established products.

If cold calling is gold, most business owners could just get rich hiring callers from Philippine to do for them.

Wut? Now I’m starting to think you’re trolling

At end of day it's the roi, you invest your time and money into cold calling and look at the quality of leads and the margin of your sales.
Yes, This post is about the roi potential of cold calling being huge, still, in 2022…

My experience with cold calling has not been good. Primarily because cold leads do not trust you could troll you can cancel multiple appointments and waste your time further. There is no consequences for lack of respect of time of someone whom you only know via voice 2 days ago.

Ok so now we’re getting to the heart of the matter. You tried it, it didn’t work and you decided it’s not good?

I totally agree, building relationships from ground zero is not easy but solid processes help manage and mitigate the early risk.

These time could be better spent building value for existing clients base or warm leads that could lead to referrals.

If you’ve had bad experience in the past I understand why you feel this way.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Business Twitter is ridiculous. I find it particularly hilarious when people give their golden step-by-step generic advice on what to do to get rich which they've never done themselves.

For example (I cut the username on purpose, don't want to hate on specific people but show others what to stay away from):

t.png

Easy peasy my man! Let's buy a micro-SaaS for $2.5k, work on its marketing funnel (whatever the F*ck it means), and boom, you've scaled to $20k in MRR and you can sell it for $500k.

This is 99.9% of business Twitter. Bullshit platitudes that a guy writing stuff for fortune cookies would be proud of.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
This isn’t really an issue as you just make sure to buy clean data from a reliable company.

Eh? Plenty of businesses go down despite having a good product market fit because they couldn’t figure out sales.

Really? That’s it’s “purpose”? Says….who? Tell that to the blue chip companies making millions daily with huge call centers pumping long established products.

Wut? Now I’m starting to think you’re trolling

Yes, This post is about the roi potential of cold calling being huge, still, in 2022…

Ok so now we’re getting to the heart of the matter. You tried it, it didn’t work and you decided it’s not good?

I totally agree, building relationships from ground zero is not easy but solid processes help manage and mitigate the early risk.

If you’ve had bad experience in the past I understand why you feel this way.
Cold calling could work for someone's business.

But it is far stretched to say as long as you have the thick skin to cold call, you are on your way making millions, as what the tweet is trying to suggest.

You could buy clean data from reliable companies. Then it will be back to the roi questions as these leads are not free. Conversion cycle and profit margin all come into play on how effective it is.

So we are back to square 1, you don't know it works for you until you try for some time and spending some money.

So you have to try many ways to find what works. There is no such thing as "If you are willing to do xyz, you are on your way to millions."

If cold calling is gold, all you need to know about sales and marketing is to hire cold callers. Plenty of them from India and Philippine and high school kids are willing to do it at low cost. Plenty of realtors and insurance adviser use them. I would say mixed results at best with the cost incurred.

Plenty sales people are doing cold calls now. If they are millionaires we would know.

Last edited:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Plenty of businesses go down despite having a good product market fit because they couldn’t figure out sales.
I'm having a tough time coming up with examples. Which ones failed at sales?
work on its marketing funnel (whatever the f*ck it means)
Someone summon the Black Dragon, we have a prospect for a sales funnel course. ;)
For example (I cut the username on purpose, don't want to hate on specific people but show others what to stay away from):

t.png

Easy peasy my man! Let's buy a micro-SaaS for $2.5k

Stay away? I mean, it doesn't sound THAT hard.

Apparently I'm business Twitter's target demographic, both of the Tweets shared made me think, ok yeah, LET'S DO THIS THING!

ALL IN TO THE MOOOON!

Excuse me while I begin googling for failed saas companies. Ooo look, microacquire.com.

Psshaw, this is going to be soooo easy. Thanks business Twitter. :rofl:

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
It's funny, I forgot how allergic people are to cold calling, it's been so long since I've taken part in a discussion on a forum about it.

I get it, fear of rejection, not wanting to be a bother, performance anxiety, even a lil' touch of existential dread all wrapped up into a nice little bundle.

It's not hard to understand why it seems like an impossible task for 90% of the population and then deeply unpleasant for most of the remaining 10%.

Not to mention, the emotionally scarred who worked in a call centre at some point lol.

But if you can chew through that and see it for what it is, ie, the chance to discuss your product or service with 200 people today, make actual sales today, prove or grow your business today, it can be extremely rewarding and fun.

Sure you can send out emails or direct mail and wait to see who responds, deal with the response from there, that works too.

But if you're a great communicator, there's something magical about grabbing the bull by the horns and creating cash flow, success, results on demand in real time, out of thin air.
The problem with cold calls is not that the “no” that kill you, it is the “yes” that kill you.

If you pick up the phone and pitching, compared to the rude hang up costs you one second, someone saying “no thanks I am not interested” actually costs you more seconds. Both are harmless.

As there is little trust to begins with, it is the half interested appointment setting, multiple cancellation, and eventually perpetual no pick up actually drain you more time and energy.

You cold called prospects know you by voice only and they have no moral obligation to treat your precious time with respect.

My experience was that I could have better invested the time providing free gift and service to existing clients to get referral.

I am not saying cold calling is definitely dead. But rather the pain was in “yes” not the “no”.

JoeyF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 17, 2016
Boys I’m gonna have to bow out of this one. This convo is going absolutely nowhere and I’ve just arrived for a weeks vacay in Napoli, pizza to eat, wine to drink sights to see and all that.

Peace!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Agree/Disagree?
I disagree. No big hitter spends their time cold-calling, cold-calling is for losers. Big hitters aren’t even selling stuff… their whole effort is focused on providing more value and marketing, they let others do the selling for them. In other words, they’re working ON their business rather than IN their business.

Cold calling is just a very inefficient way of marketing yourself… unless, of course, the sale you’re trying to make is $100K+ - then it may very well be worth your time cold calling on the right people and building a relationship with them.

You’re far better off focusing on providing superior value and solving unmet needs that people care about. Then sales and marketing is easy.

Graham Chong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Apr 29, 2012
I'm genuinely shocked. I mean, most of my introverted friends hate making calls but the MOST hated job? Doubtful.

I know I act crazy on here sometimes but I'm ENTJ and I give no f#cks at all. I'm compassionate and silly and randomly intelligent and ummm..

I love talking to people! I love connecting! I love helping ppl create or find something new. I don't mind cold calling at all. It's fun.

My problem is I don't like selling stuff I don't believe in.
I agree with your last sentence. I can be a very passionate salesman (even if it's not for monetary purposes) but I can't do it for things I don't believe in.

JoeyF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 17, 2016
I disagree. No big hitter spends their time cold-calling, cold-calling is for losers. Big hitters aren’t even selling stuff… their whole effort is focused on providing more value and marketing, they let others do the selling for them. In other words, they’re working ON their business rather than IN their business.

Cold calling is just a very inefficient way of marketing yourself… unless, of course, the sale you’re trying to make is $100K+ - then it may very well be worth your time cold calling on the right people and building a relationship with them.

You’re far better off focusing on providing superior value and solving unmet needs that people care about. Then sales and marketing is easy.

Disagreeing is fair enough but to say "cold calling is for losers" just reveals how small minded you are.

Did you know Ari Emanuel would cold call Dana White and Lorenzo Fertita daily, for years before the eventual billion dollar deal they did together?

Had no product to sell him at the time, didn't know them from Adam, just wanted to build the relationship.

But right, no big hitter is spending time doing that shit right? LOL

Meanwhile this dude's got a signature that makes me wonder if I have time travelled back to 2005 and landed on the Warrior Forum :rofl:

Hilarious.

Only losers pick up the phone and introduce themselves to business owners they want to begin a relationship with.

Real business people spam the shit out of their inbox instead.

Incredible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.