The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You Need A Web Application, I Need A Portfolio

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
Hello Fastlane Forum members,

Why I am Here
I am professional Software Engineer by trade looking to expand into my own Web Application Development Agency. Over the years it was never my intention to do so as a career - it has always been a source of fun/hobby creating my own applications. For that reason I have now decided it is time to start a portfolio and will be offering ONE forum member a custom built web application - at no cost. I specialize in professionally made business systems. But first some details:

But why should I care - I can find Web Devs in India for pennies on the dollar/ $5/hour ?

You should care because there is truth in the old adage: you get what you pay for. Here is a comparison:

Professional Web Application:
  • Exactly what you need - not just the closet premade Wordpress theme/plugin.
  • Done the right way - Built with maintenance in mind. Future tweaks don't require rewriting and code is made to be as reusable as possible - saving you time/money in the future allowing the site to grow as your business does.
  • End-to-End tested - systems are complex - if your website does not have automated testing that is run before each production change you risk a 'little change over here' breaking something 'over there' and not knowing about it.
Amateur Web Application:
  • Compromise Required - the smallest tweaks have constant push back because it requires editing code they didn't write (premade themes/plugins). Quality is thrown to the wayside.
  • Appears to be the right way - pages that should be loading data dynamically are handwritten, future maintainability is not a consideration (aka your pocket book).
  • Laziez-faire - No protection against your users loading up a page riddled with known issues. Automated testing is ignored.

Don't be mistaken - this is not an expensive vs cheap comparison. This is about profit. If you had someone build you the cheapest race car but it ran like crap and you didn't win any race prizes would you still consider your selection cheap? Don't take my word for it you can also Google 'experience outsourcing software development' - notice all the positive websites also *coincidentally* sell outsourcing services?

Did you know a recent study showed 68% of Technology projects are considered failures? (http://www.zdnet.com/article/study-68-percent-of-it-projects-fail/) . Do you want to trust your business to budget talent against those odds?

Here some descriptions of projects I have completed:

• Logistics coordination and Vendor Management system
    • Complicated business logic - database of over 140 tables
    • Modern frameworks/languages - AngularJS/Bootstrap/C#
    • Integrated Maps to track shipments
    • Cut down multiple manual tasks that required hours of employee time down to seconds through automation.
  • Event management tracking application
    • Allowed users to submit and subscribe to multiple time sensitive events
    • Integrated Paypal payments

This is my livelihood and career - If I had to guess I am messaged/called/linkedin by recruiters on average 3-5 times a week to come work for their company due to my knowledge and my current employer pays me four figures a week. I do not say that to be cocky but to say that while I need to build a portfolio I am not going to be filling it up with subpar examples - I am not desperate to prove myself.

How To Be Considered
You must submit a post here with an overview of the problem you are trying to solve and I will select the ONE that will make the best case study. For example - " I need a site for my restaurant" would be ignored while "I need an application that allows me manage my restaurants inventory in a way that no software on the market currently allows for" would be considered. This is not a timed event - it will be a first come first served type situation - so when the right partnership presents itself they will be selected - do not delay.

Update: A selection has already been made thank you all for submitting!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
Time frames?
iOS/Android app?
If I were to select an iOS/Android app I would need to add some time to it - it would be my first. There are solutions on the market to convert websites to native apps so depending on the need for certain native phone features the person selected and myself may opt for that strategy so that both a web app/native app can be produced in relatively the same time. The web app can be optimized for mobile browser use though without the need for a native app in most cases.

Time frames overall would be dependent on how complicated the chosen project would be.

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
Hello Fastlane Forum members,

Why I am Here
I am professional Software Engineer by trade looking to expand into my own Web Application Development Agency. Over the years it was never my intention to do so as a career - it has always been a source of fun/hobby creating my own applications. For that reason I have now decided it is time to start a portfolio and will be offering ONE forum member a custom built web application - at no cost. I specialize in professionally made business systems. But first some details:

But why should I care - I can find Web Devs in India for pennies on the dollar/ $5/hour ?

You should care because there is truth in the old adage: you get what you pay for. Here is a comparison:

Professional Web Application:
  • Exactly what you need - not just the closet premade Wordpress theme/plugin.
  • Done the right way - Built with maintenance in mind. Future tweaks don't require rewriting and code is made to be as reusable as possible - saving you time/money in the future allowing the site to grow as your business does.
  • End-to-End tested - systems are complex - if your website does not have automated testing that is run before each production change you risk a 'little change over here' breaking something 'over there' and not knowing about it.
Amateur Web Application:
  • Compromise Required - the smallest tweaks have constant push back because it requires editing code they didn't write (premade themes/plugins). Quality is thrown to the wayside.
  • Appears to be the right way - pages that should be loading data dynamically are handwritten, future maintainability is not a consideration (aka your pocket book).
  • Laziez-faire - No protection against your users loading up a page riddled with known issues. Automated testing is ignored.

Don't be mistaken - this is not an expensive vs cheap comparison. This But don't take my word for it you can also Google 'experience outsourcing software development' - notice all the positive websites also *coincidentally* sell outsourcing services?

Did you know a recent study showed 68% of Technology projects are considered failures? (http://www.zdnet.com/article/study-68-percent-of-it-projects-fail/) . Do you want to trust your business to budget talent against those odds?

Here some descriptions of projects I have completed:

• Logistics coordination and Vendor Management system
    • Complicated business logic - database of over 140 tables
    • Modern frameworks/languages - AngularJS/Bootstrap/C#
    • Integrated Maps to track shipments
    • Cut down multiple manual tasks that required hours of employee time down to seconds through automation.
  • Event management tracking application
    • Allowed users to submit and subscribe to multiple time sensitive events
    • Integrated Paypal payments

This is my livelihood and career - If I had to guess I am messaged/called/linkedin by recruiters on average 3-5 times a week to come work for their company due to my knowledge and my current employer pays me four figures a week. I do not say that to be cocky but to say that while I need to build a portfolio I am not going to be filling it up with subpar examples - I am not desperate to prove myself.

How To Be Considered
You must submit a post here with an overview of the problem you are trying to solve and I will select the ONE that will make the best case study. For example - " I need a site for my restaurant" would be ignored while "I need an application that allows me manage my restaurants inventory in a way that no software on the market currently allows for" would be considered. This is not a timed event - it will be a first come first served type situation - so when the right partnership presents itself they will be selected - do not delay.

I have a pool service company. One of my main goals is to modernize the whole interaction with the company and customer. After each visit, we leave whats called a "calling card" letting you know that my company was at your home and it gives you a break down of everything we did as well as any comments we might have. I would like to turn those calling cards digital for the customers that are interested in it. I would like for me to pull up the digital calling card, click the tasks I preformed, write a comment, and date as well as a few other things and for it to be emailed right to the customer. I do not wish to go into any more detail then that here, but I would love to message you and we can talk more about it.

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
Thanks @HoneyBadger. This is definitely a valuable offer. I do in fact have a web development project, but I do not want to share the details here. Can we take this to email or PM?

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
Just curious, what langauges are you proficient in?

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
i need an app that the end free user will only check in a place to facebook or add a comment to facebook or add a photo to facebook of a certain place he will be and then he will have to rate the place. when he rates the place his vote will be counted to the overall rating of that place. when he does some specific ratings he gets a bonus via the app.
the places that will be rated will be ranked in geographical order first, in type of place and then in rating order.
each place rated will have a simple page inside the app and a premium if they pay with better options(advertising - bonuses to end users etc).
also some other options will be charity - 5companies that can pay and get the user data, personal favorites etc.
something like tripadvisor but better and for another industry
if you like it , i will continue explaining in pm. CHOOSE ME!

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
Just curious, what langauges are you proficient in?
I am most versed in Javascript, C# and SQL. Dabbled in Python/PHP/MySQL. To be honest I haven't ever been intimated by a specific language so I could be flexible if it was for the sake of augmenting an existing application.

Frameworks/libraries I am most versed in: .Net, Entity, AngularJS (v1), Bootstrap, and JQuery.

Source control: I prefer Team Foundation Server but work with both TFS and Git.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
I need a web application that can help grocery stores manage expiration dates and alert them when a product is about to expire so they can put it on sale and avoid having to throw out the product, ultimately saving money.

Not only would this make a fantastic case study in your portfolio that is sure to catch the eye of someone who needs developers, but I'll also refer you to quite a few business partners who certainly could use your service.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
Wow, great value here. Someone is going to get lucky.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I'm going to give @HoneyBadger a solid thumbs up here. We discussed my website over PM, even though I was in talks with another developer, he took the initiative and built a landing page with a built in app designed for my business to get my business. Unfortunately, I'd entered into a verbal agreement with my developer, but I was incredibly impressed. I cannot speak towards the quality of his work, but I can vouch for his enthusiasm and drive.

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I am most versed in Javascript, C# and SQL. Dabbled in Python/PHP/MySQL. To be honest I haven't ever been intimated by a specific language so I could be flexible if it was for the sake of augmenting an existing application.

Frameworks/libraries I am most versed in: .Net, Entity, AngularJS (v1), Bootstrap, and JQuery.

Source control: I prefer Team Foundation Server but work with both TFS and Git.

Do you have any experience with swift/java for ios/android apps? PM Me!

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
I'm in need of a system to organise my sub-contractors.

I offer a job to multiple subcontractors and they receive the lead at the same-ish time. First to accept the job wins it and receive the customers details.

;)

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
If I were to select an iOS/Android app I would need to add some time to it - it would be my first. There are solutions on the market to convert websites to native apps so depending on the need for certain native phone features the person selected and myself may opt for that strategy so that both a web app/native app can be produced in relatively the same time. The web app can be optimized for mobile browser use though without the need for a native app in most cases.

Time frames overall would be dependent on how complicated the chosen project would be.
We have 2 projects (pick one) that need a web application (not a website) and iOS/Android app (a need). Both are complex and interesting solutions with a demand on the market, so your work will actually serve after you finish it. Leave me your skype or other way to talk to you privately.

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
Thanks. The project we're working on isn't mine to share, so I will bow out. Good luck.
You can be extremely vague posting here - for instance I need a member based web app that has a scheduling component, etc. Or you can talk about how many people it will impact, business challenge, etc. Just something so others can see what they are up against. The in the pm be more detailed focus.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Some interesting demand here, don't want to take anything away from the OP but I can offer my services as well. Thing is I can't do free :p

@HoneyBadger we should link up to see if we can do some sort of collab

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
Thanks everyone for entering - a winner has been selected and private messaged already. I truthfully appreciate everyone who submitted their need/idea. Once I finish working on this I can be available on a per project basis and be available to offer quotes.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Here's one thing to consider: my company creates custom business software a bit like yours. I have only once been asked for references. Most people buy because they like me and I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Hello,

FIrst off, great idea and what an opportunity it would be to partake in this case study. My company is having a problem picturizing a visually appealing web platform for the various products that it delivers. My company is involved with global logistics, import export, commercial real estate and land development. Encompassing all of this into a professional website is something that we have tried in the past (unfortunately with one of those overseas developers) and it has been extremely infuriating and frustrating (not so much time difference but more less language and trying to get it to our liking via skype and visio is hard enough) Would love for this opportunity to help us tap into the web market (right now our word of mouth and conventional networking and marketing has done us well) but really would love for this web solution to be situated for increased clientele and a more worldwide exposure.

Thank you for your consideration,

Sincerely,

Aron

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Bob is your uncle. Thank you for the offer.

Last edited:

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
What is the deal here...I provide the idea and specs, then you build the app for FREE? Do I own the rights? Are you looking for partnership/profit sharing arrangements.

This is very interesting. I have a few good ideas for apps but not the technical abilities to create them myself. Mainly in the fintech area (bitcoin & stock trading applications).

Last edited:

Joey El

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 16, 2016
Down Under
App idea: Photo app for facebook advertisers.
Problem: To make a ad image you need to go on the web, find a picture, download the picture, edit it in your photo editor, upload the picture to imgur - access your VPS and download the picture from the virtual desktop.

Solution: Find the picture you want from google... paste the URL into the app.... edit it there... and save it directly via API to imgur (if needed) and download it only once.

It saves advertisers time ... and also other features like makes sure you have the right size image and makes sure you have have right amount of text.
https://designschool.canva.com/blog/how-to-design-facebook-ads/

I'm pretty sure I can do this with Canva, even on my tablet.

Edit: scroll straight to the bottom to see their templates, it's mostly a how to for ads/copy...

Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
https://designschool.canva.com/blog/how-to-design-facebook-ads/

I'm pretty sure I can do this with Canva, even on my tablet.

Edit: scroll straight to the bottom to see their templates, it's mostly a how to for ads/copy...
Even though I agree. There is a difference between how to and done for you. You'd be surprised what people will pay for on a smaller scale.

To OP. This is honestly more than likely unnecessary other than to make yourself aware of your own skills. If you can present a solid demo, most clients are more than happy to continue with you.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Here's a project i pursued briefly(3 months) until i realized the hurdles involved and the risk reward just wasn't there for me. Maybe you would be interested, i can guarantee it's one of the better ideas you have heard in awhile.

Here is the premise:

Finding deals across retailers takes time and even more time if your trying to decide whether to drive to the store or buy online. Algorithm design would need to be built to aggregate a single product of multiple retailers onto one page along with tax and shipping. The twist is integrating local gas prices into the algorithm along with the users zip and local store addresses to give true pricing of visiting the retailer. Within seconds a user can determine where to buy the product and whether to get it locally or buy it online.

Main problem:

Retailers don't use a consistent catalog to list products and no off the shelf platform exists to foot the bill. You would have to create from scratch a way to aggregate products across retailers using photo recognition or dimensions of the product or some other way that i couldn't figure out.

Why is this a good idea? Because Amazon would F*cking hate it. They'd buy you out just to destroy it. You could probably get bought before even launching it.

Cheers

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
I have a pool service company. One of my main goals is to modernize the whole interaction with the company and customer. After each visit, we leave whats called a "calling card" letting you know that my company was at your home and it gives you a break down of everything we did as well as any comments we might have. I would like to turn those calling cards digital for the customers that are interested in it. I would like for me to pull up the digital calling card, click the tasks I preformed, write a comment, and date as well as a few other things and for it to be emailed right to the customer. I do not wish to go into any more detail then that here, but I would love to message you and we can talk more about it.
ServiceTitan might do what youre looking for? but i dont know pricing

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.