The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

You don't need a website, you need sales

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe a stupid question as your post seems more about the philosophy of stop procrastinating and just do it already but...what if your business or business idea is a website (say through shopify or volusion) selling something in particular that lends itself to that medium? Wouldn't that constitute needing a website?
I’d say the business isn’t a website, and that shopify is just a way *how* you’re selling your product to someone. You could start by selling without building the shopify store first.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
I’d say the business isn’t a website, and that shopify is just a way *how* you’re selling your product to someone. You could start by selling without building the shopify store first.
Understood and totally get your point. Without a ton of money to invest into inventory I'm working on a drop ship model where I don't carry or pay for the product until it sells. While the business isn't a website, it is providing something of value to the marketplace that people are willing to pay for, I do need a channel with which to market the value. Do you have any suggestions on an alternate means of reaching customers.

(Of course this is just the start of my empire and first true business venture. I have plans for additional products that I would physically develop and stock.)

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Understood and totally get your point. Without a ton of money to invest into inventory I'm working on a drop ship model where I don't carry or pay for the product until it sells. While the business isn't a website, it is providing something of value to the marketplace that people are willing to pay for, I do need a channel with which to market the value. Do you have any suggestions on an alternate means of reaching customers.

(Of course this is just the start of my empire and first true business venture. I have plans for additional products that I would physically develop and stock.)
I'm not saying don't have a website, just that your goal is to make sales.

How can you sell a product without a website? Put it up on Amazon, eBay, Facebook? Sell it door-to-door? Find out who already has your customers and do a deal with them?

The website is just a tool, just one way how you can make an sale.

Woodsman81

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
Understood and totally get your point. Without a ton of money to invest into inventory I'm working on a drop ship model where I don't carry or pay for the product until it sells.
How do you not pay for product until it sells?

rogainer

Health is Wealth
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 22, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Our tech support business had no website for years..

"A tech business with no website??? How the heck did that work?"

Just fine

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Woodsman81

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
Get paid first?
Sorry I got confused on the term drop ship. I think of it as my product that sits in a warehouse and some one ships it for me. In this case it was being used as I sell other people's product through my website in the Dropship company sends it to them.

Guess my green is showing :wideyed:

B_Mac

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia
How can you sell a product without a website? Put it up on Amazon, eBay, Facebook? Sell it door-to-door? Find out who already has your customers and do a deal with them?
I am just getting around to actually reading through this thread. But @Andy Black is correct. You don't need a website, you need sales.

I am selling on Amazon. I had been making excuses for why I wasn't trying to get more sales from a channel other than Amazon, one excuse being my website sucked.

Then I saw the words. Not the thread. Just the words. You don't need a website, you need sales. With my still bad website, I called a store, set a meeting with the purchasing manager, and made a sale.

He saw the website. He didn't care it was bad. I had a good product. He said it was good and my price was even better. The most important part? He wrote me a check on the spot. Now, as long as we are both still open for business, I have them as a channel for sales.

When that store wants to sell one of my products, they won't show customers my website. They will show the customer the item on the shelf. And the customer will buy it.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
Sep 7, 2018
I used to be that person. "I need to be the expert before I...." Now I internally laugh when I hear people doing the same type of behavior. And I hear it so often.

D.Navi

Contributor
Aug 26, 2016
Great argument. Some people get hung up on the bells and whistles and don't start until they have the perfect website.

I'm doing freelance copywriting and I only have a rudimentary Google Doc to show to prospective clients. It looks like something a 9-year-old could've come up with in half an hour. (Is it me or are kids getting smarter these days?)

And guess what? They don't mind. All they care is samples of my work to see if I'm walking the talk.

All I do is focus on outreach.

LittleWolfie

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I have been talking to an author regarding their need for websites.

They don't want sales. They do it via Amazon. The purpose fo their website is to provide somewhere to keep in touch with their fans and build a community they control away from Facebook/LinkedIn etc.

They are more interested in traction than $.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom