The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wrongful Accusation for a business: What Would You Do?

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
Wrongful Accusation for a business:

Yesterday got me thinking since I almost forgot I have my name on a pet/house sitting site and it rotates over which makes it easy to forget :) I realized when I was interviewing for TSA (Transportation Security Agency) last year in Maui, Ha. and one of their questions was "we googled your name and noticed that someone wrote a negative report about you, these are the things they said" well without knowing this to be true and I thought it was TSA's catch you under pressure tactic " I answered without hesitation "It must be a different Tammy Kosco" they seemed to like that answer because many people were sent home from Maui and I continued on with my interview.

Soon afterwards I googled my name out of curiosity and there it was "smack in my face moment" a very rude, negative comment. The part that fkin pissed me off the most was it was untrue. (don't mind my lingo plz). I immediately emailed the person and the website company and asked them to remove it. Which naturally the person who put it there ignored my request and the company told me we will not take it down but you can remove your profile if you are not happy. A profile I have updated since the year 2002 seriously. I go about my life since I rarely use that site anyway and almost forgot about it until this past Sunday when I got a frantic email and phone call asking me to come to Hermosa Beach, close to Los Angeles, Ca. I was going to agree since it was a paid gig and my "Accion Academy" just switched to online Zoom, since the C0VlD-19. We were to have a follow up later in the week by Wed.

The lady never returned my call or email by Wednesday like the agreement we spoke about this past Sunday. So it got me thinking A. She saw what the rude lady from Switzerland made up about me and instead of calling me back and asking me about it.

B. The C0VlD-19 took over and her and her husband thought it best instead of teaching diving and taking their chances that they may not be able to come back to the US. Still I pondered why they could not call me back as a simple courtesy.

I thought it over and realized it is not that difficult to pick up the phone and let another person know it takes one minute of their time. I do know I have been on that site 2.5 years after the negative remark 1 out of 10 really? I guess I did not worry much about it nor cancel my subscription for the simple fact I was too busy doing other things and It was hard to digest that people could base false assumptions on one person's negative review based on whom maybe not even real. This time though I have more time to ponder staying home more the C0VlD-19 scare and I guess I got pissed off all over again.

I decided I will remove my profile since I can't change what another person who wrote false information about me reminded me about when I was 19 years old and just joined active duty boot camp U.S. Navy. I was in my 3rd week of an 8 week stay in Orlando, Florida.

I kept thinking "does no one love me?" I am being facetious. But you get my point. I did not receive one piece of mail my whole time there ok, perhaps one letter. I thought seriously what the H.. I even asked my mom during one of our 10 minute conversations and she said "Tammy, your friends from school are writing to you". "Me and your dad are writing to you". I did not know what or whom to believe since I was receiving zip. Thank god I got those short phone calls to keep me going, especially from my father who had a good sense. "He would say "Just play the game you have 3 more weeks, the real Navy is not like boot camp" and thank god, he was right.

I went afterwards from Orlando, Florida to San Diego, Ca. to my "A" school meaning my 16 week Communications School then onwards to 8 weeks of intensive Satcom (Satellite Communication School) in Augusta, Ga. While I was in "A." school in San Diego, I would meet new friends and I would get this very strange response every time. The new person I would meet would say "Hey I know A Kosco'' (Yes, they call you by your last name) but it is not you! I thought how strange a comment that is. I soon became aware that there was a person with the very first and surname of myself and the strangest part of it all was that girl also was in my Boot Camp (one week ahead of me so a different division) and the chances of the same "A", school are beyond my wildest imagination. I for whatever reason chose not to meet her, when I saw her playing pool with my friends. I wanted to be the only Tammy Kosco for that matter, who gave her the right to have the same name and school as me? That was my 19 year old thinking at the time. I soon learned she was the one receiving all my mail from My family and My friends. The part was she was the Tammy Kosco that broke the rules and got caught. One thing one learns quickly in the military is to break the rules but don't get caught. Meaning we were not allowed to wear civilian clothes for the first 6 weeks of our "A" school. Yes, they really do give you a clothing chit (a piece of paper giving you authorization to wear jeans or shorts or t-shirt). Yes, you can get kicked out of the Navy for breaking these rules and getting caught. She did precisely that and got caught. The medical I soon learned (thank goodness I had given blood in High School once and remembered my blood type B (which they even got our blood types mixed up. In my medical records and on my dog tags (yes we had dog tags) I assume the A blood type was the other Tammy Kosco (did she have my blood type on her dog tag I pondered) that was the chain I wore every day on my very own neck for Christ's sake did this really happen are they that incompetent what else could they have screwed up our test scores? These are some of the questions I thought.

This brings me to present day my question to you is simple: "When this happens in a business setting a website perhaps or on your personal comments etc. a person writes a wrongful accusation like a slander". Knowing you are innocent how do you prevent this from ruining future business prospects (naturally it is a whole other ball game when someone tries to sue in the U.S. especially we know that is a high possibility and that is why we have legal documents in place to coa (cover our a$$) but I am glad today this question got me thinking when I have a successful business and this sort of thing happens what would you do?

Thanks for reading and your time. Stay safe!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
Wrongful Accusation for a business:

Yesterday got me thinking since I almost forgot I have my name on a pet/house sitting site and it rotates over which makes it easy to forget :) I realized when I was interviewing for TSA (Transportation Security Agency) last year in Maui, Ha. and one of their questions was "we googled your name and noticed that someone wrote a negative report about you, these are the things they said" well without knowing this to be true and I thought it was TSA's catch you under pressure tactic " I answered without hesitation "It must be a different Tammy Kosco" they seemed to like that answer because many people were sent home from Maui and I continued on with my interview.

Soon afterwards I googled my name out of curiosity and there it was "smack in my face moment" a very rude, negative comment. The part that fkin pissed me off the most was it was untrue. (don't mind my lingo plz). I immediately emailed the person and the website company and asked them to remove it. Which naturally the person who put it there ignored my request and the company told me we will not take it down but you can remove your profile if you are not happy. A profile I have updated since the year 2002 seriously. I go about my life since I rarely use that site anyway and almost forgot about it until this past Sunday when I got a frantic email and phone call asking me to come to Hermosa Beach, close to Los Angeles, Ca. I was going to agree since it was a paid gig and my "Accion Academy" just switched to online Zoom, since the C0VlD-19. We were to have a follow up later in the week by Wed.

The lady never returned my call or email by Wednesday like the agreement we spoke about this past Sunday. So it got me thinking A. She saw what the rude lady from Switzerland made up about me and instead of calling me back and asking me about it.

B. The C0VlD-19 took over and her and her husband thought it best instead of teaching diving and taking their chances that they may not be able to come back to the US. Still I pondered why they could not call me back as a simple courtesy.

I thought it over and realized it is not that difficult to pick up the phone and let another person know it takes one minute of their time. I do know I have been on that site 2.5 years after the negative remark 1 out of 10 really? I guess I did not worry much about it nor cancel my subscription for the simple fact I was too busy doing other things and It was hard to digest that people could base false assumptions on one person's negative review based on whom maybe not even real. This time though I have more time to ponder staying home more the C0VlD-19 scare and I guess I got pissed off all over again.

I decided I will remove my profile since I can't change what another person who wrote false information about me reminded me about when I was 19 years old and just joined active duty boot camp U.S. Navy. I was in my 3rd week of an 8 week stay in Orlando, Florida.

I kept thinking "does no one love me?" I am being facetious. But you get my point. I did not receive one piece of mail my whole time there ok, perhaps one letter. I thought seriously what the H.. I even asked my mom during one of our 10 minute conversations and she said "Tammy, your friends from school are writing to you". "Me and your dad are writing to you". I did not know what or whom to believe since I was receiving zip. Thank god I got those short phone calls to keep me going, especially from my father who had a good sense. "He would say "Just play the game you have 3 more weeks, the real Navy is not like boot camp" and thank god, he was right.

I went afterwards from Orlando, Florida to San Diego, Ca. to my "A" school meaning my 16 week Communications School then onwards to 8 weeks of intensive Satcom (Satellite Communication School) in Augusta, Ga. While I was in "A." school in San Diego, I would meet new friends and I would get this very strange response every time. The new person I would meet would say "Hey I know A Kosco'' (Yes, they call you by your last name) but it is not you! I thought how strange a comment that is. I soon became aware that there was a person with the very first and surname of myself and the strangest part of it all was that girl also was in my Boot Camp (one week ahead of me so a different division) and the chances of the same "A", school are beyond my wildest imagination. I for whatever reason chose not to meet her, when I saw her playing pool with my friends. I wanted to be the only Tammy Kosco for that matter, who gave her the right to have the same name and school as me? That was my 19 year old thinking at the time. I soon learned she was the one receiving all my mail from My family and My friends. The part was she was the Tammy Kosco that broke the rules and got caught. One thing one learns quickly in the military is to break the rules but don't get caught. Meaning we were not allowed to wear civilian clothes for the first 6 weeks of our "A" school. Yes, they really do give you a clothing chit (a piece of paper giving you authorization to wear jeans or shorts or t-shirt). Yes, you can get kicked out of the Navy for breaking these rules and getting caught. She did precisely that and got caught. The medical I soon learned (thank goodness I had given blood in High School once and remembered my blood type B (which they even got our blood types mixed up. In my medical records and on my dog tags (yes we had dog tags) I assume the A blood type was the other Tammy Kosco (did she have my blood type on her dog tag I pondered) that was the chain I wore every day on my very own neck for Christ's sake did this really happen are they that incompetent what else could they have screwed up our test scores? These are some of the questions I thought.

This brings me to present day my question to you is simple: "When this happens in a business setting a website perhaps or on your personal comments etc. a person writes a wrongful accusation like a slander". Knowing you are innocent how do you prevent this from ruining future business prospects (naturally it is a whole other ball game when someone tries to sue in the U.S. especially we know that is a high possibility and that is why we have legal documents in place to coa (cover our a$$) but I am glad today this question got me thinking when I have a successful business and this sort of thing happens what would you do?

Thanks for reading and your time. Stay safe!
Hey, @Tammyanne! I had several thoughts about your post, but I'll address the main point first, which is what you would do if someone writes a negative review:

1. Recently, someone wrote a negative review about a restaurant that we like, and the review was a complete lie, so my husband, as a customer, wrote a rebuttal. Could you perhaps get someone, a customer or client you trust, to write a rebuttal? (unless that would boost the post, then I would just ignore it, because you don't want to give it more attention than it deserves).

2. Also, I think your current client didn't contact you because they had a change of plans, not because they read the old, negative review. In my opinion, you are projecting onto them the courtesy that you would extend to someone if you no longer wanted to use their services, and, really, I think most people don't think that hard. I think if they don't want to do something, then they just don't say anything, but when they are ready, then they will speak up. Just keep putting your name in front of them and when they need you, then they will remember what you do. I view it like grocery shopping. If they don't want pop-tarts, then they just keep walking. They don't say anything. Sales is similar in that if people are ready for your service, then they will use you if they like you, and if they are not ready, then they will just keep walking.

3. Concern about your negative review and your client triggered the feelings of rejection that you felt in boot camp, when you were young, no one was communicating with you (that you were aware of), and you were going through a hard time. Many people are in that boat right now: soldiers, first-responders, healthcare workers, and older people isolated in nursing homes. I saw a plea on Facebook yesterday, a picture from a nursing home where the residents and nurses were holding up signs asking people to write letters to them. A quick letter or card doesn't take long to write, and think of how it can brighten someone's day, because right now, I bet many people need it, especially the elderly. I am attaching that article below, but I would encourage people to find a nursing home near them to write to, and maybe if you connect with someone, you can visit with them after this is all over and it is safe.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi @Tammyanne

I got this as a private message from you as well. What did/do you want me to do?

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
If the review was inaccurate, “Just say sorry to hear that, but you may have us confused with someone else as we have no record of doing business with you.”

Move on from it it happens.

As for the second lady, I recommend following up with her every 3 days. Sometimes people have something come up.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
In some cases you can flag reviews and comments on sites, and they will take them down. Some crazy once wrote a long google review on my business page that was nothing but an insult to members of my family (precisely as mature as "your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"), and of course he had never had any interaction with my business or anyone in it. Some people are just nuts. Anyway, I flagged it as libel or an ad hominem attack or whatever the option was, and it was taken down. While waiting for it to get taken down, I replied that he had never been a customer and publicly libeling a person's family was inappropriate.

If it's a personal attack, something like "she stole from us" or "this evil lady killed puppies in front of a live audience," you might also hire an attorney (if you can't get rid of it through the site). You could sue the person for libel, however if they are in Switzerland, it might be easier to handle it through the site where the review is posted. If they get a cease and desist letter, they'll probably take the comment down.

Also... is this a site you still use? If you're not still offering pet/house sitting services, just delete the account.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Here's how to fix this:

Go get 15 more 5 STAR reviews on the same platform.

Boom. Now you have a 4.something star rating, which looks more believable than a fully 5 star one anyway.

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hi @Tammyanne

I got this as a private message from you as well. What did/do you want me to do?
Oh it was a question (I am still learning to navigate the website) I was asking some ideas if anyone you included since you have a lot of expertise in this area I would imagine. I was thinking a what if moment I am sure it happens where you have a website online and a person makes a negative impression of your business. Naturally I am sure it happens all the time so my question some ideas to be aware of or be ready for or a positive example or way to navigate when something like that happens to your business etc. I hope I am making sense. :) Please don't hesitate if I am not being clear :)

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
Here's how to fix this:

Go get 15 more 5 STAR reviews on the same platform.

Boom. Now you have a 4.something star rating, which looks more believable than a fully 5 star one anyway.

This!

Also, this would be the time to be proactive as well.

If there are any other platforms that you think customers will check out before doing business with you, get 15 5-star reviews there as well. That prepares you for a 1-star bad review in the future (and could even drive more business your way).

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
We actually did the "get 15 5* reviews" thing a few years ago, because of an unfair negative review (someone else's customer we think), just by asking the actual customers to leave reviews after they were done with our service. Kept the process going on automatic. Now the business has over 200 reviews, and any crummy review would just be buried in good ones.

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
We actually did the "get 15 5* reviews" thing a few years ago, because of an unfair negative review (someone else's customer we think), just by asking the actual customers to leave reviews after they were done with our service. Kept the process going on automatic. Now the business has over 200 reviews, and any crummy review would just be buried in good ones.
Awesome! Naturally always a few snakes lol

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
If the review was inaccurate, “Just say sorry to hear that, but you may have us confused with someone else as we have no record of doing business with you.”

Move on from it it happens.

As for the second lady, I recommend following up with her every 3 days. Sometimes people have something come up.
Thanks for your response!

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hey, @Tammyanne! I had several thoughts about your post, but I'll address the main point first, which is what you would do if someone writes a negative review:

1. Recently, someone wrote a negative review about a restaurant that we like, and the review was a complete lie, so my husband, as a customer, wrote a rebuttal. Could you perhaps get someone, a customer or client you trust, to write a rebuttal? (unless that would boost the post, then I would just ignore it, because you don't want to give it more attention than it deserves).

2. Also, I think your current client didn't contact you because they had a change of plans, not because they read the old, negative review. In my opinion, you are projecting onto them the courtesy that you would extend to someone if you no longer wanted to use their services, and, really, I think most people don't think that hard. I think if they don't want to do something, then they just don't say anything, but when they are ready, then they will speak up. Just keep putting your name in front of them and when they need you, then they will remember what you do. I view it like grocery shopping. If they don't want pop-tarts, then they just keep walking. They don't say anything. Sales is similar in that if people are ready for your service, then they will use you if they like you, and if they are not ready, then they will just keep walking.

3. Concern about your negative review and your client triggered the feelings of rejection that you felt in boot camp, when you were young, no one was communicating with you (that you were aware of), and you were going through a hard time. Many people are in that boat right now: soldiers, first-responders, healthcare workers, and older people isolated in nursing homes. I saw a plea on Facebook yesterday, a picture from a nursing home where the residents and nurses were holding up signs asking people to write letters to them. A quick letter or card doesn't take long to write, and think of how it can brighten someone's day, because right now, I bet many people need it, especially the elderly. I am attaching that article below, but I would encourage people to find a nursing home near them to write to, and maybe if you connect with someone, you can visit with them after this is all over and it is safe.
It is also nice to have our thoughts on something else besides the Corona Virus :) we are now in Lock down in San Diego. Meaning I just had a good workout and I am trying to stay focus driven :) Also be disciplined in my eating habits. Great Feedback Thank You!

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
It is also nice to have our thoughts on something else besides the Corona Virus :) we are now in Lock down in San Diego. Meaning I just had a good workout and I am trying to stay focus driven :) Also be disciplined in my eating habits. Great Feedback Thank You!
I got a little creative and turned it into a short story :)

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA

Beautiful Response love it :)

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
In some cases you can flag reviews and comments on sites, and they will take them down. Some crazy once wrote a long google review on my business page that was nothing but an insult to members of my family (precisely as mature as "your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"), and of course he had never had any interaction with my business or anyone in it. Some people are just nuts. Anyway, I flagged it as libel or an ad hominem attack or whatever the option was, and it was taken down. While waiting for it to get taken down, I replied that he had never been a customer and publicly libeling a person's family was inappropriate.

If it's a personal attack, something like "she stole from us" or "this evil lady killed puppies in front of a live audience," you might also hire an attorney (if you can't get rid of it through the site). You could sue the person for libel, however if they are in Switzerland, it might be easier to handle it through the site where the review is posted. If they get a cease and desist letter, they'll probably take the comment down.

Also... is this a site you still use? If you're not still offering pet/house sitting services, just delete the account.
made me chuckle oh my god that's funny but sad at the same time. I know I hear you.

tpf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Apr 8, 2016
UK (Lesta) & 日本
Thinking personally, I only review things if they are really good or really bad, so go with the "get 15 5*s".

Also, I've heard that in some types of business (mom and pop restaurants and b&bs) there are people who will just try it on, and threaten to leave a bad review on Tripadvisor etc if they don't get a discount. Basically the kind of businesses that rely more on reviews.

So if you've got a good review pipeline going, as @Rabby has, then you can just laugh them out the door. I guess it comes back to being a productocray really...

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
copy n paste below: Feedback is always welcomed! I am practicing for my podcast and content, Creating Value.

View: https://www.facebook.com/tammyakosco/videos/10157313516754773/?t=102

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.