The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Working in a beauty sphere

StellaArt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Nov 7, 2019
Is it still a good idea for a newbie to start a career there? I really want too, but have some doubts. I have no experience, only yesterday I got a diploma(makeup) and now I'm looking for more courses. What can I take next and where is the best place to learn it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Congratulations on your diploma! You now have a skill that you can take with you wherever you go to generate income.

A fastlane career in the beauty industry is probably not going to come from the typical (scripted) path of being a stylist in a salon, or even from working for yourself, as it's not scalable. Your time will always be tied to your money as long as you're giving haircuts or applying makeup.

However, you do have this going for you, that you have a nice flexible source of income that you can use to fund your journey towards the fastlane. Also, I'm guessing that you also probably enjoy what you do and find it to be an avenue for artistic expression and creativity, so your personal satisfaction with your work may be high. This is wonderful, as it will help you to be in an abundant, creative state of mind versus a scarcity mindset or a stressed, "I-hate-my-job" state of mind.

Here are some tips to help you to identify a path towards the fastlane...
  • Take a look at the highest-earning professionals in your industry. Who is at the top and what do they make? Who are the stars? Who IS doing something scalable? Is the people who own the salons? Is it the manufacturers of luxury brands such as Kerastase or Aveda? Is it the instructors of the niche courses, such as microblading? Is it TV celebrities like Louis Licari? Take a look at the stars who are speakers at your industry conferences. Who are those people and what do they do? Can you be one of them?
  • Take a look at the NEEDS in your industry. What are some of the common problems you run into on a day-to-day basis? Could you meet one of those needs and make the lives easier for every aesthetician, stylist, and makeup artist on the planet? Maybe it's an invention. Maybe it's an existing product that you upgrade and make better. Maybe it's a repeatable system for people to branch out on their own, attract clients, work from home, and raise their prices. Maybe it's a whole new innovation in the way that the beauty industry achieves an outcome to help people feel more beautiful. For instance, think about the person who came up with thinning scissors, or the person who came up with straighteners for the first time.
  • Take a look at any gaps where consumer products are not available on a wide scale, where you could supply that need. For instance, let's take something as simple as a round brush. I find it infuriating that I cannot for the life of me find a good round brush. It shouldn't be that hard. But the way that the metal of the round brush joins to the plastic of the handle, there's almost always some kind of seam that wants to grab little hairs and "eat" them so that they don't let go when you want to release that section of hair. Also, the barrel of most round brushes is simply not long enough for use in thick hair, so it takes forever to dry your hair since you're only getting these tiny little sections at a time. Then the opposite end from the handle has sometimes popped off for me, leading the inner core of bristles to get off center, meaning that the bristles are sticking out way too far on one side of the brush, and barely poking out on the other side. There is SOOOOO MUCH ROOM for improvement just in round brushes alone! I've shaken my head more than once, thinking, "Ugh, the people who design these things have obviously never actually USED one!" You can probably think of other products you've used where you've run into the same thought. THERE'S your fastlane.
Hope these thoughts have given you some ideas of your own! Keep us posted on your progress and what you come up with!

All the best!

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I’m 39 and I seriously JUST last week learned how to match foundation to my skin tone via a very cute overweight lady on YouTube w/ 218k subscribers..

There’s definitely a need for ppl who can help w/ make up. Have you read the books yet?

I’d start there. Congrats and Good luck!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
That's a lot of good advice. I also would suggest finding a specialty you can become known for.

I don't know much about make up, so I'll share a story about a lady who specializes in girls with curly hair. She won't cut straight hair, there are plenty of stylists who can do that, she says. There's all kinds of curly hair and women with curly hair often don't know what to do or how to handle it. So she teaches them what kind of curly hair they have, tells them how it needs to be cut specially for the type, and how to care for it after. Different shampoo techniques and everything. Their friends will notice the change and ask about it. Clients brag about her to all their curly haired girl friends.

She makes it all about the "curly hair girl experience". Because she specializes people see her as an expert. So referrals are way easier to get.

After years of working for someone else, she opened her own salon and within a month she was booked solid. A year later she has trained 2 stylists working for her and is working on her own book. She already needs a bigger space.

So who can you specialize in and make it an experience especially for them? How can you be seen as an expert?

If you are good and helpful and always nice your clients will become your biggest marketing source. Make sure they always leave with your business card to give a friend. Or better, tell them to save your number in their phone. And tag you or your salon page when they take their selfies, obvi.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Already really great and valuable advice from different people in this thread so I won't make it long.
But no matter what you want to do in the beauty industry which is quite challenging in the Fastlane format you have to put everything in it. If it's your passion that's maybe easy for you. Don't quit early and give it your best shot. Then it can work out without a problem. A blog, Youtube channel, or even an own brand the options are great.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.