The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Oh Why Do you Need GOALS!!!

Anything related to matters of the mind
Jul 6, 2009
Its all about those goals baby. The blueprint map to your future is on your daily activities. Goals are important because people who have goal succeed because they know were they are going. Simple and plain. Here are some cool videos from my favorite motivational speakers Zig Ziglar on how to get started on your goals.

Here are some reason why you should consider having goals

1. Save time
2. Be more productive
3. Get things done
4. See results
5. have a sense of self worth
6. eliminates fear of failure

So, If you don't know what goals are need this. If you need some peep in your step, you need this also. If your lost at the moment, don;t count yourself at yet. If your just a fan of Zig, then you can appreciate this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-VJ_lauCw"]YouTube - Zig Ziglar Setting Goals 1 of 3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiQV0oTyd98&feature=related"]YouTube - Zig Ziglar Setting Goals 2 of 3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su2UuP3aqZg&feature=related"]YouTube - Zig Ziglar Setting Goals 3 of 3[/ame]

Enjoy setting those goals!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
1mcmillionaire said:
Its all about those goals baby. The blueprint map to your future is on your daily activities. Goals are important because people who have goal succeed because they know were they are going. Simple and plain.

With all due respect, I disagree.

It's NOT all about goals.

And it's not really that simple, or plain.

Let's say you set a goal to climb Mt Kilamanjaro, thinking by doing so you'll become rich.

Or let's say you set the goal "I'm gonna be a millionaire by the time I'm 25"

Or some even better ones:

"I'm gonna go out w/a Victoria's Secret model", or

"I'm gonna own a ______________ by this time next year."

Here is the problem with all of those goals:

They don't tell you HOW you're going to get there.

Or. . . . WHY you should be doing them in the first place!

(this last one is the biggie).

As one of our regulars says, "Speed is irrelevant if you're heading in the wrong direction."

So true.

So, to use the fastlane analogy:

Your goal: I want to get to Easy Street.

Q: How do I get there the fastest?

A: It all depends on which route you take,
how many stops/detours you make,
and WHAT VEHICLE YOU USE TO GET THERE.

And on top of all that, the question is: WHY do you want to get to Easy Street?

To answer the "why" question, and figure out the other stuff, you need to create a PLAN.

First, figure out what's important to YOU.

THEN figure out your destination.

THEN map out your course (what route you will take to get there)

THEN figure out your vehicle.

THEN figure out how to fuel your vehicle, and how to maintain it.

The above steps take a LOT more work than just setting a few kewl goals.

They take a LOT more thought-- and introspection.

But these are the things that DRIVE your goals.

If you aren't headed in the right direction, setting great goals (or figuring out how to get there faster) is a waste of time.

Sorry if it seems like I''m pooping on your parade.

Not the case.

Just the views of a former goal setter (spent the first 20-30 years of my adult life with the motto "No Goals, No Glory".

THEN, I figured out what I was doing wrong.

PLAN first. :coffee:

Then goals. :banana:

-Russ H.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Russ I disagree with plans first then goals. Certainly you need to know where you're headed in order to plan for it. The goal (in my mind) tells me want I am going to do. Once I know what I am going to do then I can figuring out what to do to get there.

Certainly you're right if you're picking undescriptive goals but that is more of a problem for the one setting the goal than anything else.

Although I feel this may just be a mishap with semantics rather than anything.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Icy said:
Russ I disagree with plans first then goals.

Certainly you need to know where you're headed in order to plan for it.

The goal (in my mind) tells me want I am going to do.

Once I know what I am going to do then I can figuring out what to do to get there.

. . . I feel this may just be a mishap with semantics rather than anything.

Icy-

It's not just semantics.

Too many people base their goals on OUTSIDE factors.

For instance:

"I want to own a lambo", or

"I want to marry a centerfold", or

"I want to live in a biiiiiiiiig house"

Note that if sexy looks, or an exotic car, or a cool house is the absolute #1 important thing in your life, then by all means, have that one thing as your goal.

But here's the wicked trick:

Remove OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS/IMPRESSIONS (ie, what other people see in you/think of you) from the above equation, and the 3 things listed above don't have NEARLY the same appeal, for most people.

For example:

If you had a smokin' Lambo, but NO ONE-- not a single person-- to show it off to, would you still want it?

What fun is a big house if no one can ever see it? Or know that it's YOU that lives there?

Or if you married that centerfold, but could never show off him/her to others in public, would they still have the same value to you?

Most folks being honest w/themselves would say, "No."

I have no problem w/someone who wants to own a supercar. ESPECIALLY if it represents, to them, the success they have achieved (as in MJ's example).

But to "own" an exotic car/house/spouse, just so others will "ooh" and "ahhh" over how great you are is a real empty route to go for getting riches/expensive stuff (see the "$30K millionaires" posts on here for examples of that motivation-- *looking* the part instead of *being* a real millionaire).

If you re-focus your question ("What is most important to ME?"), and remove outside factors ("would it still be as important if I were the last guy on earth, and no one ever saw me w/this?"), then most folks come up with some very different answers.

Again, I say most folks.

Your mileage may vary.

But I say this as a guy who spent decades (not years) around shiny stuff-- really expensive houses, cars, and spouses.

I built dedicated home screening rooms for the rich and famous.

And I can tell you, flat out, that these folks had "achieved" their goals: Wealth, Stardom, Celebrity, etc.

But they were not always happy. Or satisfied.

Nor did they know what was wrong.

'Cause what they were good at, was setting goals-- and succeeding at accomplishing those goals.

-Russ H.

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
Russ I disagree with plans first then goals. Certainly you need to know where you're headed in order to plan for it. The goal (in my mind) tells me want I am going to do. Once I know what I am going to do then I can figuring out what to do to get there.

Certainly you're right if you're picking undescriptive goals but that is more of a problem for the one setting the goal than anything else.

Although I feel this may just be a mishap with semantics rather than anything.

I agree that you need to know where you are going before you plan for it, but I don't think figuring out what you want to do can be called a goal. A goal is something you go for not something that tells you what to go for. You figure out what you want to do or what direction you want to go in, then you write goals, then you make up plans to tell you how to get those goals.

I think you may be right about the semantics thing because Russ said plan first then goals. You can't plan to go to a destination you don't know. The goal is the destination, the plan is the map. You gotta know where you going before you pick up the map. Of course Russ is right about how to plan and how to go about this the proper way, I just wouldn't have worded it like he did saying plan first, then goals. I mean even in his post he said...

First, figure out what's important to YOU.

THEN figure out your destination.

THEN map out your course (what route you will take to get there)

THEN figure out your vehicle.

THEN figure out how to fuel your vehicle, and how to maintain it.

The way he typed the second step is what I what I would call writing your goal. Everything after is the plan on how you will make that goal (or get to that destination) possible. Russ is just beefing with the pointless goal writing that involves no planning which is just a waste, and I'm sure we could all agree on that.

It almost looks like you 2 would agree for the most part when it comes to goal writing, the disagreement comes from the wording of plan first, then goals.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I agree that it is semantics...

Russ, in a nutshell, it sounds to me like what you are saying is "make sure your goals have MEANING to you.

Icy, it sounds to me like you are saying... first set the goal and then plan your path for getting there.

Are these two ideas in conflict with each other? Naw. I don't think so.

When you combine the two ideas, you will have a powerful combination ;)

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I see Russ, I think the point that are views on this diverage are kind of with the words we use, more than what we think. I completely agree that people need to do what they want with no bias due to other peoples thinking. From that point, in my mind you then write out (lets say with a statement) what you want to do. Once you understand what you truely what then you can figure out how you will allow yourself to achieve\own\whatever this goal. Hell, the way you plan to achieve the goal can involve smallers goals like if you want to run a 5 minute mile. Such as:

-Be able to run a mile
-Run a 10 minute mile
-Run a 8 minute mile
-Run 5 minute mile

And from each one of those figure out how you will achieve each kind of like a sub-goal.

Like I said, I think we could just more or less mean the same thing (overall) but kind of view the words in a different manner (if that makes sense)

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I have no problem w/someone who wants to own a supercar. ESPECIALLY if it represents, to them, the success they have achieved (as in MJ's example).

But to "own" an exotic car/house/spouse, just so others will "ooh" and "ahhh" over how great you are is a real empty route to go for getting riches/expensive stuff (see the "$30K millionaires" posts on here for examples of that motivation-- *looking* the part instead of *being* a millionaire).

-Russ H.

Exactly Russ, You hit it on the head with this. By taking a DEEP look at your goals you will find the motivation behind them. This takes extensive meditation and self-thought. Asking yourself questions such as "Why am I really pursuing this or that?" and "In the end, when I do achieve this, how will I feel?" you will truly find the source of what is motivating you. If that source is money, to make others envy you or just to prove something to someone, it will be a very unhappy ending. Don't get me wrong, you can be motivated by money, but it is an empty route. Why do you want to be a millionaire? Why do you want to drive a Lamborghini? Why do you want to live in a mansion? There is a substantial difference between looking like a millionaire and being a millionaire. Anyone can look like a millionaire, but not everyone can be one. A 30K millionaire pretends to flaunt cash like there's no tomorrow, when in reality it's his/ her rent money falling to the floor. A true millionaire does not go off to people and say "I'm rich, look at all this cash I have." They have class, they keep their financial status discrete in public, and most importantly they help others. Giving back is a huge aspect that millionaires and billionaire take advantage of. They are the ones that donate large sums to organizations, universities, and non government relief funds :smxB:. Some do it aloud, others do it privately.

Now getting back to topic- True goal setting is a lot like a successful marriage. Both partners look for qualities in each other that are positive and will benefit a loving relationship. These motives are great and let them live happily ever after.

On the other hand, when a couple gets to together just because one partner has money, this is just a disaster. The motives are just greed, not personal traits. As many of us know, this ends in a nasty divorce and lives are forever changed.

Soooo, dream, set goals and plan, but remember this...

Why do you want this?

What is motivating you to set these goals? and

You and only you make yourself happy. Not money, not a car, not a mansion, just you!

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
I agree that it is semantics...

Russ, in a nutshell, it sounds to me like what you are saying is "make sure your goals have MEANING to you.

Icy, it sounds to me like you are saying... first set the goal and then plan your path for getting there.

Are these two ideas in conflict with each other? Naw. I don't think so.

When you combine the two ideas, you will have a powerful combination ;)
True dat :thumbsup:

Personally, I think one of the hardest things is truly figuring out what you want to do with life. I mean just saying I wanna have a lot of money is not enough. Take me for example, I graduated culinary school, I love cooking and thought I wanted to be a Chef, I thought I had what I wanted to do with my life. I became a line cook and saw how it was all run, and it did not take me long to figure out I did not want it. I still love cooking, love watching travel shows that talk about food. Different foods and cultures interest me a ton. I have no clue what area I want to concentrate in, all I know is I love cooking and eating all kinds of foods. I still have to try pastries as well.

I can't really write any goal or make any plan because I haven't truly figured out what I really want to do with my life. I only have a general idea, which is not even close to good enough. Even with FOREX I thought I wanted that. Studied it for a couple years, practiced it lots. Didn't realize until a life changing experience I had recently that I didn't truly want that either. I liked what it represented, making money with freedom, not being tied down to one spot for a job and being free to travel and do whatever because I basically just needed a laptop only. I think there are some here who may pick real estate, trading or internet businesses and they think they may want them, but they may just want what they represent. To figure out what you really want is to really look inside yourself. To those who truly know what they want I consider them lucky. I am kind of at a stand still because I just realized about 3 weeks ago that all the time I spent on FOREX was in a way just a waste of time and I have to figure out what I really want.

I had very detailed goals written out, but I had goals related to FOREX that are now pointless, I know my mistake with those were that my reasons for why I wanted to achieve them weren't quite good enough (freedom to go wherever and still make money weren't enough I guess).

Once, you figure out what you truly want to do, writing specific goals and planning is easy. Then all you have to get is the confidence and eliminate fear and like Nike says Just do it. The drive will come from the extreme passion of knowing what you really want and that you really want to get it.

In my opinion lol

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Or if you married that centerfold, but could never show off him/her to others in public, would they still have the same value to you?

YEP :smug2:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
YEP :smug2:

Supermodels are like anything else you feel is unattainable...The more you are around them, the less "unattainable" they feel.

If you married one for the wrong reason, she too would get old...

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
You hang w/someone for looks, here's what you get:

Looks change.

You hang w/someone b/c of what's *inside*, that never changes.

-Russ H.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I agree with you both. ...Icy, I agree that first we need to dream, and Russ, I agree that second we need to ask ourselves why we really want something. Having a goal of making a million dollars in great, but WHY do we want $1 million? Will $500k do it?...or perhaps $1m isn't enough. Asking "why" clarifies a goal--and is a critical step. (Changed my life for sure! ...Thanks again Russ. :) )

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
You hang w/someone for looks, here's what you get:

Looks change.

You hang w/someone b/c of what's *inside*, that never changes.

-Russ H.
Well, I disagree with that one. At least the second part. Whats inside can change. For instance a death in someones family could drive them to drink. They become a totally different person when they are drunk all the time. Maybe way deep down, they are the same person, but some people change so much, even they have problems remembering how they used to be and what they are really like inside.
I'm sure plenty of couples break up because the spouse isn't like he/she used to be anymore.

That being said I do get your point though lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.