The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why I Left RD Forums

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well, I think the no negativity rule
forces posters to find the positive in every negative.
So if you think the economy is going in the dumper,
how can a person benefit from it?
Someone always benefits from every single situation.

(And as you've often pointed out, Great Bear,
the so called bad situations can be the best opps)

MJ... curious as to why you don't want
the banned people reading the messages?
(Yes, I was the kid in the class always asking why)

: )

Let me clarify -- negativity is allowed here. Negative people aren't. There's a difference. Many of my posts can go off into the negative simply because the nature of the question. However, my agenda, isn't pure negativity. As for why banned folks can't read messages, its because they lost their privileges. Like a DUI Drunk being banned from driving.

I don't mind him being gone, and it does seem to clear the air, but what I mean is, we should not throw away negativity just for the negativity. I've heard some people come here and say "there was too much negativity in the RDPD forums". There's a difference between useful negativity and useless negativity(we know where to put dogg's negativity). What I'm saying is that we shouldn't exclude something just for the negativity. Someone might tell me "Hey Subway didn't offer a lot of support to its franchisees in Country X" or "Only 1 in 12 franchises survive 15 years" or "You're just buying yourself a job " or whatever. Critique is useful, and some of the "negativity" that was really critique on the RDPD forums was knocked down and I figured it might be useful if we uh allowed some useful "negativity" to exist instead of bashing negativity.

No you are correct. Negativity is allowed. Negative people are not. There's a difference between being negative for the sake of being negative. When every post is a negative dig, a negative politico, a negative retort - then the person has a different agenda than being present to learn and be educated - the agenda is negativity and to force their world-view on me/us.

Answering a question in the negative when the negative is warranted is acceptable because the answer, in itself, is negative.

"Is it smart to buy a Quiznos franchise?" -- NO, and here's why...
"Is it smart to buy spend $45K on a Russ Whitney seminar?" NO, and here's why...

VS

"Look at Tom Vu's seminar, aren't they funny?" and then going off into some tangent about Iraq, Arabs, and George Bush.

Even if he was positive, he was repeatedly violating the politics rule anyhow.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Finding this forum is in the top 10 best things that have happened to me lately! ...Realizing that I was out growing the RD site made me smile, because it meant that I was moving forward and was really on track with how to weigh good advice from bad advice. ...Considering the fact that 1 year ago it took me months- months!- of being on the RD site to even open the Advanced Real Estate Investors Forum. I felt like I wasn't there yet, so I couldn't post there and that others wouldn't want to hear from me. Talk about low investing self-esteem! Finding all you guys over here was like Dorothy waking up back in Kansas-"everyone's here- Auntie Em, and you and you and you...you were all there and now you're all here." Kinda melodramatic I know, but seriously I am learning so much and you guys are all so great. I can't wait to post on the sticky forum! :smx9:

thecoach

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 29, 2007
Regina, SK, Canada
I'm only a couple days old on this board, but I'm already very glad that I was invited over here. While there are still a few people (maybe they are just the same people that are on here too...haha) that can give feedback or have an intelligent conversation or debate about something other than the simply "that's just stupid" or "send me an e-mail I'd love to talk to you about it" only to get a spam plug about the persons MLM company, there is a lot of distractions on that site. Almost 2 years ago, I decided I was going to quite being a "victim of my surroundings" and start making things happen in my life. About a year ago, I stumbled upon the RDPD site and there was a lot of good stuff on there, but I found I got sucked into some conversations becuase I found them interesting, but after a couple replies I realized "Why the hell am I even posting about this? This has nothing to do with anything relating to my situation in anyway!".

Anyways, I like the idea of this site, I'm still learning and transforming from a follower to a doer, so the fewer off-topic conspiracy theories I come across the better. I know it was already covered, but I think a negativity might be the wrong word for what's acceptible and what's not. If it's put out there in a contructive way, I'm all for it, but if it's just bitching and moaning or hacking at someone, it's really a waste of peoples time. I still check out the RD site all the time, but I'm sure I'll be frequenting this site a lot more.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm only a couple days old on this board, but I'm already very glad that I was invited over here. While there are still a few people (maybe they are just the same people that are on here too...haha) that can give feedback or have an intelligent conversation or debate about something other than the simply "that's just stupid" or "send me an e-mail I'd love to talk to you about it" only to get a spam plug about the persons MLM company, there is a lot of distractions on that site. Almost 2 years ago, I decided I was going to quite being a "victim of my surroundings" and start making things happen in my life. About a year ago, I stumbled upon the RDPD site and there was a lot of good stuff on there, but I found I got sucked into some conversations becuase I found them interesting, but after a couple replies I realized "Why the hell am I even posting about this? This has nothing to do with anything relating to my situation in anyway!".

Anyways, I like the idea of this site, I'm still learning and transforming from a follower to a doer, so the fewer off-topic conspiracy theories I come across the better. I know it was already covered, but I think a negativity might be the wrong word for what's acceptible and what's not. If it's put out there in a contructive way, I'm all for it, but if it's just bitching and moaning or hacking at someone, it's really a waste of peoples time. I still check out the RD site all the time, but I'm sure I'll be frequenting this site a lot more.

I think much of what you're describing is that the inmates over there sense that no one is running the asylum, therefore, run rampant.

Here is a different story. I rule with an iron fist and have my hand perpetually on the ban button!!! :) Anyone tries to pull that conspiracy shit over here and here is what they get:

professor_t-ban.jpg

thecoach

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 29, 2007
Regina, SK, Canada
Mr. T's bad a$$...I'm not messin' with that!

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
I got on the RD.com boards way back in early 2001, back then it was discussing deals, people actually coming back from a closing and giving feedback. Systems, formulas, and dreams.

Today it is all talk, no action. Political Banter, Conspiracy Buffs and Chronic Victims.

People asking the same questions over and over without hitting the search button.

I would like to give most of these people some Anthony Robbins material and say "Read this, life sucks sometimes, stop whining and get off your a$$ and do something! Change your situation."

Once, RD.com hit critical mass it started going downhill.

I'm glad fastlane is designed to keep the crap at bay.

Lance

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ

Today it is all talk, no action. Political Banter, Conspiracy Buffs and Chronic Victims. (on RD Forums)

People asking the same questions over and over without hitting the search button....

Lance

Great points! but you unfortunately just described the mass majority of our population whether you realized it or not...

most of the people in our society are unorganized, unguided, angry and simply unsatisfied. It is proven that negativity and negative energy is much more attracting than positive energy... a perfect example is the entertainment magazines- US, People, Enquirer, etc... they all have stories about divorces, infidelity, obesity issues and other real intrusions on peoples lives... just all bad stuff... but people like it. Society as a whole is just unsatisfied with themselves and RDogg is probably a victim of negativity.

amazing that just today I had someone ask me aside in private and thank me personally for me helping him... he explained in the couple of years he has worked with my organization he has started to look at things differently and realized that the simple things are not worth getting upset over. He admitted the smallest things used to really irk him for days at a time but has now approached problems with a more positive approach...while I was happy to hear that, its the point that negative and positive energy both have residual or contagious impact.

anyway, it would have been a much different scenario had RDoggg asked for logical help in regards to his/her dismal and bleak position and this board would have put its best foot forward to help him/her ... but blaming everyone else without seeking solutions is the sign of an angry person who does not want help just yet...

I applaud MJ... who needs negativity around here when we are trying to help each other

RE Taipan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 28, 2007
Balboa Island, CA
As I understand it from another thread, RK took rather strident umbrage at a number of his followers in PHX for being on the internet.

Yet his own website has, based on what has been related in this thread, a rather "active" following. This, in addition to an online version of CF101.....

--- Just an observation...does this seem a bit hypocritical?

(No further comments on this from me)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Just an observation...does this seem a bit hypocritical?
Actually, from what he told us about himself, it's not.

He personally sees little or no value in spending time online.

He does see the value in it for generating revenue (so he has others working on this for him).

But here's the really big aha: He still sees TV as the way to get his message out.

I think he underestimates the power of the internet.

-Russ H.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
I think you have a very interesting point there, Russ. In my former line of business, I ran into a huge percentage, an overwhelming number of people, on the business and customer side, who believed the staid, old-school thinking was right, no matter what, and they even carried it as a badge of pride. "They don't build 'em like they used to..." "That'll never work....", etc.

That kind of thinking is prevalent among people who are either poor, think poor, uneducated, scared, etc., etc., financially. And that's the majority of people in this country. Only when someone has the courage to shift their viewpoint and, even if they don't accept/believe/support new things, but at least consider them, do they change. And I don't care if it's how we build houses/cars/goods or new technologies or new social mores.

And to have RK say it is probably the biggest thing I've ever seen that shows a real flaw in his teachings. Not "well, we've thought about it, but it isn't right for us at this time..." or "we believe this is the best path for the moment" says a lot more than outright rejection.

Very interesting, indeed.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
RK is what..... about 60?

I remember watching a clip where he talks about intentionally trying to stay w/ the times... hair, clothing, because it will keep his mind also in the times...

... so he appears to be aware that this happens to people (doesn't it happen to us all in one way or another?).. and he is taking steps to try not to go in the direction of being the old fart...

interesting topic.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I think that's why all of us were so surprised. He was speaking to a room full of people whose success was, in part, due to the internet. Some of the folks in that room were pulling in hundreds of thousand of dollars from the 'net.

But again, I gotta give the guy credit for sharing his feelings on this w/us-- he was really trying to help ("Hey, if you want to move ahead, look at what I do, and stop wasting time on the internet!").

He told us this stuff b/c he cared.

So while I didn't much like what I heard, or how he felt about the internet, I do appreciate that he cared about us enough to share these things w/us.

-Russ H.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
I still post there, the funny thing is; when I find a thread I think is interesting & has promise and I post to it..... Something I think really contributes to the questions & answeres.... 90% of the time the thread dies. Is is me or do the people there just not want constructive disscussion?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Is is me or do the people there just not want constructive disscussion?

It's that the majority of people on the RD boards these days are dreamers and talkers.

They love to discuss things.

But they're not doers.

Posts from doers don't sit right with them.

They don't know how to respond.

So they don't.

And the thread dies.

-Russ H. (happens to most of the threads I post to as well, except the ones where the spammers hop on b/c there are so many others reading the thread! :bgh:)

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Ive learned from other boards that sometimes an excellent post doesn't generate tons of responses because there is really nothing to add. Unfortunately it is also true that the general crowd tends to gravitate to the less then stellar posts. They either feel they have something to add or they simply want to upstage or argue with someone. Crying shame really. The best posts have one simply response "great post", while the worst have 4 pages of people beating a dead horse.

Also, a great post does not necessarily have to come from the OP, but be something that generates great discussion. I think this forum is geared towards that. We are also all human. I have also seen on this forum a 4+ page discussion on why people left the RD forums and why people have grown to dislike RK. Its the soap opera effect. Please don't misunderstand me though, I'm not saying anyone is bad because they do (otherwise I would be a hypocrite), but perhaps the best bet for a poor post is to ignore it and let it disappear into the back pages of the forum.

My .02, take it with a grain of salt. I do think this forum is excellent, but I also think non of us are perfect (thankfully, what fun would that be :nonod:).

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Bilgefisher-

I understand your points, esp those about rehashing what's happening at the RD forums.

I can only speak for myself- the reason I worked so hard (even became a moderator) on the RD forums was b/c I *loved* what they once were, and wanted to get them back to that level of quality.

Anyone on the fastlane forums this week knows why-- this is what it was like on the RD forums a few years ago. Fantastic!

-Russ H.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Fair enough. I got to thinking, my post may have been overly critical (not my intention). I got to looking, this is the off-topic forum. That is what this forum is intended for. I agree whole-heartedly with a bit of venting now and then.

FWIW, I actually like have an off-topic forum where we get to not talk business all the time. It allows us to meet the folks behind the nickname. It creates a sense of community.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
when I find a thread I think is interesting & has promise and I post to it..... Something I think really contributes to the questions & answeres.... 90% of the time the thread dies.

[joking]Nobody but me can claim the title of "thread-killer"[/joking]
Many times I've thought that I am completely off so my comments go and kill the 'mood' of the thread... I didn't know I wasn't the only one with that perception.

I found this forum to be a big motivator, while other forums became boring to me. I just got tired of criticizing others so now I am focusing a lot on moving on and get back to do, learn, apply, learn from my mistakes, and then do it again. Russ, I'm glad to know the healing process is working...

StMichael

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 9, 2007
Shanghai, China
My reason for being inactive in the RD forums is different from you all (too busy stuck in the E sector - got two promotions within 3 years - while looking for S/B opportunities). But it really has grown to be so different from how it was, when I started learning from those who are willing to share their knowledge and to inspire, back in 2002...

Glad to be here.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
I'm sorry, I just couldn't help this one. I stopped by the RDPD forums yesterday, and saw one of the mods had posted a thread that said "Nut job gets zapped" and I found myself logging into to say "Congratulations! You got rid of Robertson!" and realized he was talking about some news event, not an admin event.

Oh well. I thought it was pretty funny for a few moments.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Bilgefisher-
The guy was my mentor and hero for years-- I read each of his books and felt like he was talking to me. Based on what he wrote, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what he was like as a person.

I was wrong. :)

-Russ H.

I agree- I felt the same way about him. I owe him a million thank yous. When I heard him speak at the Wealth Expo in LA I was shocked at how much he swore, called us all losers and made obscene hand gestures. I was horrified. My dad flew in for this event, so hearing and seeing all of this while sitting next to my dad was so embarrassing. ...You know Russ, I was shocked after seeing that Tony Robbins Youtube clip you posted as well. I had no idea that he cussed so much. ...Not that I am easily offended- just surprised. I suppose they are people too. :) I remember seeing Robert on some show, (Oprah, PBS?) and he made this snippy remark (which is dead on, and why I ordered everything he had to sell!) about if you don't know what to do with $5k, you need to figure it out and don't ask others. Lots of wisdom there...and I bet he gets stupid questions all the time. Poor questions could really have a negative effect on a person after time.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I agree- I felt the same way about him. I owe him a million thank yous. When I heard him speak at the Wealth Expo in LA I was shocked at how much he swore, called us all losers and made obscene hand gestures. I was horrified. My dad flew in for this event, so hearing and seeing all of this while sitting next to my dad was so embarrassing. ...You know Russ, I was shocked after seeing that Tony Robbins Youtube clip you posted as well. I had no idea that he cussed so much. ...Not that I am easily offended- just surprised. I suppose they are people too. :) I remember seeing Robert on some show, (Oprah, PBS?) and he made this snippy remark (which is dead on, and why I ordered everything he had to sell!) about if you don't know what to do with $5k, you need to figure it out and don't ask others. Lots of wisdom there...and I bet he gets stupid questions all the time. Poor questions could really have a negative effect on a person after time.

Fame and/or notoriety is something I hope I DON'T get should my book sell well ... my mouth is dirtier than a back-alley dumpster in Chinatown. :cuss:

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
To sum it up for me --

Too many newbies, asking the same questions over and over again -- not taking any action, and not giving anything back to the boards. It's all take-take-take

I would almost prefer a venue where the folks on the boards are screened, and it's kept to a select group of folks who are interested in sharing their knowledge and experience with each others. Maybe folks could be added slowly, based upon referrals -- sort of like the local country club :)
:cheers:
- Hakrjak

mglshark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 18, 2007
One then I notice when planning is no thought given to the stress of making serious money. RK mentions that the two big problems of money is either too much or not enough. I had the pleasure (and horror) of making too much too fast. Nearly killed my wife & I (she ran the company), since the stress of a business that grew too fast with too much money coming in. Needless to say sleepless nights, losing touch with our kid, crazy partners, everybody wanting to be your friend and feelings of dread as the government in one year put almost everybody out of business by law changes. We both swear we would not go through that again no manner how much money can be made. Just something to think about when working your plans, i.e., what is this going to cost me emotionally and physically?

Marc

StMichael

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 9, 2007
Shanghai, China
One then I notice when planning is no thought given to the stress of making serious money.

Like you, I made too much too fast, and found myself unable to handle it - except that it was not stress that killed me. It was boredom. I was not able to cope with being at home, working only 2 hours a day, and wasting the rest of my time away. I ended up tinkering with what has been working, and everything simply collapsed, putting myself in debt (still paying off that debt now, 4 years later).

Just something to think about when working your plans, i.e., what is this going to cost me emotionally and physically?

Frankly speaking, everything has a cost - for some of us, the cost is worth it, for some of us, not. I know what I'd have to do, though, when I move out of the rat race again. I'd not be idle at home but apply to lecture - either Economics, Finance, Management or History (all my favourite subjects). Even if they do not pay part-time lecturers well, I do not really care - I just want to keep myself active, and around people!

mglshark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 18, 2007
Hi Michael - nice to hear from you again. I remember your story from your postings way back on RD site. Yes, boredom can kill, just look at the history of rich folks family members with too much money / time. Our case was the government law changes overnight (who would think!), partners acting crazy with too much money in their pockets, and a business that just grew too fast! The stress factor we experience during this was something we never thought of.

I like the idea of teaching, you may not make a lot of $$$, but the rewards to your soul can be worthwhile. We found the more money we made, the more our old friends disappear, with "new" friends just wanting to get in our lives. Something that rising music or movie stars experience! Not fun.

All the best,

Marc

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.