The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Failure is almost guaranteed if you ignore this one simple truth

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
A thought struck me whilst coming back from a walk in the forest this morning.

I was thinking on how potential success can be derailed for an article I am writing when, all of a sudden, I remembered a thread that I had contributed to, and had this thought that new entrepreneurs might misinterpret the meaning.

I had posted an image, a meme, a poster (whatever you want to call it) on a thread about mentally preparing yourself for the highs and lows of entrepreneurship. The image was this one:

My worry was that people could easily see this as just trying one business idea, then another, then another and so on and so forth until they hit on something that worked. Although a certain amount of this is almost inevitable, it is far more powerful if you look at it in a linear way. With one business model, one idea, one single point of focus.

You see the simple truth of the matter is:

You get better at the things the persist in.

I often read on here intro posts where someone says "I tried Forex trading, drop shipping, online poker, property developing, Amazon FBA, Cryptocurrency, Digital Marketing, Copywriting, book writing, Blogging, Podcasting etc. etc.. and failed". The list goes on and on.

All of these business models have made people millions of dollars so they do work. But only if mastered. If you persist through the failures. Learn from them. Course correct and move forward. However they will all fail if you don’t follow through. If you fail to persist.

Now I am as guilty as the next man for throwing in the towel well before I have mastered a subject. I have done so many, many times in the past. But I have also persisted in several areas in life and, although I might not be a world master, I have earned a comfortable living from them by being in the top 10%. Now that might seem a lofty goal but I can assure you it doesn’t take much extra effort to reach the top 10% if you persist. You see most people are just happy to be mediocre. As soon as they reach that level of average they take their foot off the gas. The problem is mediocre does not make you stand out from the crowd, and that is what you need to do if you want to be truly successful. Be it a better product, better strategy, better service or better analysis. But if you strive to continue to improve you can’t help but beat the opposition.

So once you have a business idea that meets all the criteria you set for yourself don’t give up when things get hard (which they invariably will). Know that the harder it is the more rewarding it will be when you eventually overcome those obstacles and frustrations and truly master it. Be content in the knowledge that there will be far less competition as many, many people will have thrown in the towel on that very same journey. And, once you break through, don’t take your foot off the gas. Push on, don’t slacken. Persistence is the key as you will keep getting better and better, putting more and more distance between you and those content to wallow in mediocrity.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
So once you have a business idea that meets all the criteria you set for yourself don’t give up when things get hard (which they invariably will). Know that the harder it is the more rewarding it will be when you eventually overcome those obstacles and frustrations and truly master it. Be content in the knowledge that there will be far less competition as many, many people will have thrown in the towel on that very same journey.

100%.

This is the very reason why I love business models that require good old work ethic, doing the same things over and over again. Most people drop out when things get boring and repetitive, which is when the stubborn and determined are rewarded.

Also, thank you for emphasizing this:

And, once you break through, don’t take your foot off the gas. Push on, don’t slacken. Persistence is the key as you will keep getting better and better, putting more and more distance between you and those content to wallow in mediocrity.

I'm currently dealing with a giant downturn in my business and there's always this little temptation in the back of my head to try something else but I know that a person truly dedicated to mastery keeps going even when things suck (particularly after a long and very satisfying upswing).

Also relevant to the topic (some on the inside):

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I'm currently dealing with a giant downturn in my business and there's always this little temptation in the back of my head to try something else but I know that a person truly dedicated to mastery keeps going even when things suck (particularly after a long and very satisfying upswing).

Yes, it does take considerable self restraint to stick to one course when things are going against us. The grass is seldom green and I’ve had businesses suffer from spreading myself too thin across multiple enterprises.

I remember several years ago starting over and suffering major analysis paralysis as I just could not decide which direction to take. I was all over the place. I'd start on one idea for a few days then decide that something else looked better. Then I'd come across something else and begin to wonder if I was following the right course. I was literally just treading water and getting no where.

Today I have total clarity. I have one goal, one objective and one business plan (despite the protracted delays). Yes there are loads of potential new businesses that look really interesting but I barely give them a second glance. I have learned to ignore the noise and just press on.

Thanks for the extra links. Great threads.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Great post brother. Key message.

Relevant book - The Dip by Seth Godin

The grass always looks greener when you are in the trenches with your current biz.

Staying the path is when you hit GOLD. Something that helps me when times get tough is imagining the number of people who drop out and switch lanes at the pain point you are experiencing. Every time you stay at it through a hard moment is the moment you are 'beating the competition'.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Great post brother. Key message.

Relevant book - The Dip by Seth Godin

Excellent book (I remember listening to it while packing orders when I had an eCommerce business).

Every time you stay at it through a hard moment is the moment you are 'beating the competition'.

So true. Beating them and also thinning them out. A double win.

TryHardTriad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 2, 2018
I find the post very relatable, not just the dead poker dream lol but lack of execution and excuses for my past business 'failures' (small revenue or no sales and quit after 1 year).

Small thought - If the CENTS are reasonable, is there ever a good reason to give up on a startup? Or should we just keep persisting until 'success'?

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
So once you have a business idea that meets all the criteria you set for yourself don’t give up when things get hard (which they invariably will). Know that the harder it is the more rewarding it will be when you eventually overcome those obstacles and frustrations and truly master it. Be content in the knowledge that there will be far less competition as many, many people will have thrown in the towel on that very same journey. And, once you break through, don’t take your foot off the gas. Push on, don’t slacken. Persistence is the key as you will keep getting better and better, putting more and more distance between you and those content to wallow in mediocrity.

Totally agree with you here! The more challenging the task ahead, the harder for people to imitate your business idea and this can only help your CENTS rating ;)

It is still a grey area between pure grit and pure ignorant stubbornness. You can bring a horse to water, but you cant make it drink and all that.
So yes to perseverance! On the other hand I agree that credit should also be given to taking time to reflect and self assess with a healthy dose of product/process/market performance analysis.

Question is, how does one recognize when something is a total flop or when to push through on something that appears to be a totally flopping (e.g. after 2 years)?

Product belief (Actual Value) +
(Market Response (Interpretation of Value) X Available Time & Energy (Steering Interpreted Value towards Actual Value)) =
Success
(Valuable Product All Along) OR Failure (Not a Valuable Product All Along)

A good example is AirB&B of which no-one in the beginning bought into the idea. Welcoming strangers into ones home was something humanity lost and forgot (at least for the 'western world'). When it finally took off it was a paradigm shift on a global scale. This came from pure belief and determination from the co-founders regardless of the market response and it took years.

Guess I am just philosophizing here, as in principle I agree with what you posted. Just a gut feeling that the devil is in the detail when it comes to staying at it and walking away. Especially when a product affects human social dynamics on a global scale with the aim to inspire change, in contrast to releasing a 65% recyclable drinking straw on to the market.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I find the post very relatable, not just the dead poker dream lol but lack of execution and excuses for my past business 'failures' (small revenue or no sales and quit after 1 year).

Small thought - If the CENTS are reasonable, is there ever a good reason to give up on a startup? Or should we just keep persisting until 'success'?

I think you have to analyse the probability for success and weigh that against the costs/benefits. If there is a huge upside then, even if the chances of success are less than 50/50, you have to give it your all. Maybe set a time frame in which to do it or at least reassess the situation.

One thing to bear in mind is if others have managed to make a success of something then you know it can be done so there are then very little excuses for quitting. You just need to FOCUS and follow through.

I'm not talking about sending a rocket to Mars or inventing the latest high tech gadget, I'm talking about businesses within your level. Yes you will surely have to up your game but setting your sights on something that is attainable means there is far less impulse to quit. Look for models that are currently working in a non saturated marketplace. Ones where you can add value, pivot to a different niche or better market. As long as it is not a closed shop, (where you cannot get a footing), what can stop you? Only your own doubts, fears, weaknesses and glass ceilings. Those are natural reactions but you can push through them if you look at each logically.

Don't try to run before you can walk. Start with something manageable. As you gain experience and confidence you will move up to larger and more ambitious projects. There is no rule to say that your current project has to be the big one that will consume the rest of your working life. Your persistence will create new and exciting opportunities further down the line as you get to be a better and more experienced entrepreneur.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
I think you have to analyse the probability for success and weigh that against the costs/benefits. If there is a huge upside then, even if the chances of success are less than 50/50, you have to give it your all. Maybe set a time frame in which to do it or at least reassess the situation.

One thing to bear in mind is if others have managed to make a success of something then you know it can be done so there are then very little excuses for quitting. You just need to FOCUS and follow through.

I'm not talking about sending a rocket to Mars or inventing the latest high tech gadget, I'm talking about businesses within your level. Yes you will surely have to up your game but setting your sights on something that is attainable means there is far less impulse to quit. Look for models that are currently working in a non saturated marketplace. Ones where you can add value, pivot to a different niche or better market. As long as it is not a closed shop, (where you cannot get a footing), what can stop you? Only your own doubts, fears, weaknesses and glass ceilings. Those are natural reactions but you can push through them if you look at each logically.

Don't try to run before you can walk. Start with something manageable. As you gain experience and confidence you will move up to larger and more ambitious projects. There is no rule to say that your current project has to be the big one that will consume the rest of your working life. Your persistence will create new and exciting opportunities further down the line as you get to be a better and more experienced entrepreneur.

Very good answer :) Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I remember several years ago starting over and suffering major analysis paralysis as I just could not decide which direction to take. I was all over the place. I'd start on one idea for a few days then decide that something else looked better. Then I'd come across something else and begin to wonder if I was following the right course. I was literally just treading water and getting no where.

Today I have total clarity. I have one goal, one objective and one business plan (despite the protracted delays). Yes there are loads of potential new businesses that look really interesting but I barely give them a second glance. I have learned to ignore the noise and just press on.
Awesome thread RazorCut, thank you for sharing. I've been wrestling with the paralysis issue these last several months myself, so your post cut to the bone. Fortunately, I saw my way through to a specific need and I'm taking action. But it is so easy to get tempted into other shiny objects. Great thread, thanks

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What’s the phrase?

“The grass is greener where you water it.”

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I feel you with this, my last business i did it sort of felt unfinished....

Granted there where good reasons i did not continue, but this is one of the reasons i told myself i am seeing what i am doing right now through to the bitter end!

I will finish it, till it turns into something or... just another failure that gave me some learning experience and didn't cost much other than my time.

VigilantCMDR

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 16, 2019
It's very important and I am glad you reminded us of it!! I see so many of my friends give up after things don't look great at first, when in reality if they just stuck with it for a few years they might be billionaires!!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
What’s the phrase?

“The grass is greener where you water it.”

Yes, if you remember that plus our natural tendency to be attracted by shiny new objects I feel it helps stave off the effects.

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019
Thanks for your reminder of the importance of Monogamy :thumbsup:

I could be wrong but I Don't put all my eggs in one basket. Diversify. Average millionaire 7 streams, am I right?

I don't know if it's persistence. One can be persistent and continually miss. It might be patience.

Trying the same thing over and over is insanity, so get creative.

Creativity & Patience.

Hence the model.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
I could be wrong but I Don't put all my eggs in one basket. Diversify. Average millionaire 7 streams, am I right?

You always start with one, make it grow, and then diversify when you can afford to spread your resources and focus. With limited resources, IMO it's best to stick to one thing and learn to do it well.

Conventional wisdom is not to put all of your eggs in one basket. 80/20 wisdom is to choose a basket carefully, load all your eggs into it, and then watch it like a hawk.
- Richard Koch​

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Diversify. Average millionaire 7 streams, am I right?

That might be statistically correct but I think you will find that most millionaires got there start with one successful business and it might have taken them several attempts to build that. Diversification comes later.

The ideal situation if you want to go the multi-business route is to build a profitable business that works without you, effectively making you redundant to day to day processes. Then you have the time, focus and energy to build another business as it is not to the determent of the first. I have found that trying to juggle two or more businesses while still being a kingpin in each is a recipe for disaster most of the time.

@MTF That very same Richard Koch quote came to mind. :happy:

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Awesome thread RazorCut, thank you for sharing. I've been wrestling with the paralysis issue these last several months myself, so your post cut to the bone. Fortunately, I saw my way through to a specific need and I'm taking action. But it is so easy to get tempted into other shiny objects. Great thread, thanks

Thanks Ernman. Having complete faith in your project is so important as it wards off so many distractions. Particularly Shiny Object Syndrome which can be so fatal to success. Its a shame they only make blinkers for horses as I think there is a big market for them for entrepreneurs too.

StefanoUP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Aug 8, 2019
Europe
You always start with one, make it grow, and then diversify when you can afford to spread your resources and focus. With limited resources, IMO it's best to stick to one thing and learn to do it well.

Conventional wisdom is not to put all of your eggs in one basket. 80/20 wisdom is to choose a basket carefully, load all your eggs into it, and then watch it like a hawk.
- Richard Koch​
Love that Richard Koch Quote! thanks for sharing :)

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019
That might be statistic correct but I think you will find that most millionaires got there start with one successful business and it might have taken them several attempts to build that. Diversification comes later.

The ideal situation if you want to go the multi-business route is to build a profitable business that works without you, effectively making you redundant to day to day processes. Then you have the time, focus and energy to build another business as it is not to the determent of the first. I have found that trying to juggle two or more businesses while still being a kingpin in each is a recipe for disaster most of the time.

@MTF That very same Richard Koch quote came to mind. :happy:
I see. That's quite right. Many thanks!

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019

- Richard Koch​
I see how I was wrong.

rajakamil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2018
Malaysia
After reading this, the saying "The grass is always greener in the other side" sound like sarcastic.

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
There is a thing called the 2 Comma Club. It is part of the Click Funnels program and in essence you can become part of the club when you hit 1$m revenue in a year through a single sales funnel.

To date there over 300 visible members of the 2 Comma Club. There are probably quite a few more that choose to remain anonymous.

Anyway a guy by the name of Robert Neckelius thought it would be a good idea to contact as many of these 2 Comma club members as possible to discover how long it took them to get into the Club and what their number 1 piece of advice was.

1. How long did it take you from your first $1 online to your first $1,000,000 (cumulated, not annual)?

Time wise 6 months, 10 months and 18 months were common answers as to how long it took them, however 5-6 years was also mentioned several times.

2. What 1 piece of advice do you have for people who want to start a million dollar online business?

The one piece of advice however was far more interesting. The recurring answer was very, very clear. Out of those members that responded this was the advice that was cited over and over again.

Have ONE focus, ONE business, ONE product. Be good at ONE thing. DON’T get distracted. ONLY when you get that business to where you want it to be, ONLY then can you start doing other things.

Sound familiar?

<EDIT> I meant to drop the source link in so here it is.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.