The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mental Distractions: Why can't I focus while reading?

Josuee

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Apr 9, 2023
Hey guys,

I'm wondering why I keep having mental distractions while reading. I keep wandering off and thinking of something completely different when I want to focus on learning through books. This is mainly the reason why it took me 2 months to finish Unscripted . I would read a couple pages and think of something irrelevant to what I've read, or worse, I'll completely forget what I've just read. I've already followed the advice of forum users here to delete all distractions on my phone and computer. But, Why do I have mental distractions? Why do I overthink so much? Why can't I focus?

If anyone could give me advice and or an answer I'd highly appreciate it.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoingToSleep

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 3, 2023
This happens to me sometimes. It might be because you're too stressed about something and just relaxing for some time can help. This can also be because you spent much time focusing on one thing and decided to read right after that. Normally just take a break and do something fun and you should be able to focus again.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
But, Why do I have mental distractions? Why do I overthink so much? Why can't I focus?

Sorry, you gotta go through this. What are your screen time and consumption habits up until recently?

I have a little cousin who's around the age of 10 that has the exact problem as you. Although the reasoning for him is the amount of stimulation he gets from his gaming devices. His parents just let him go crazy without any moderation. He plays games on his PC AND watches his iPad AT THE SAME TIME...

Now can you guess what happens when he does not have his PC and Ipad? He can't focus.

Not sure if you have problems with screen time and being stimulated by technologies, but the more you get used to their stimulation, the more you train your brain to be unable to function without them.

At the end of the day, the mechanism is the same thing as any drug addiction. With the pleasurable activity you feel good, without it, you struggle with focus.

BUT... it does get better with time. Right now your dopamine level is not what it should be. If you don't consume stimulating distractions for a while, your dopamine level will increase back to the baseline(how it should be) NATURALLY. Above the baseline, you feel good. Below the baseline, you can't focus, feel withdrawal, lethargy, tiredness, etc.
dopamine level.png
1 is where you are when you consume pleasurable things. 2 is where you are after the pleasurable feeling subsides. The middle line is your baseline.

This video will teach you more about it. It's 9:27 minutes long and it will change the way you look at life, especially towards things that make you feel good.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WZwzy9rCDk&t=99s

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
This answer is very similar to @Matt Lee 's

But, Why do I have mental distractions? Why do I overthink so much? Why can't I focus?
Dysregulation of the dopamine reward circuit, which is the system that enables you to focus and stay motivated to complete a task.

You will notice that when playing a video game you don't have such issues, but you are fully immersed in the experience and have the ability to apply extreme levels of focus for hours at an end. This is happening because video games have been designed to press the right buttons to activate this system to its fullest.

The only way to become successful is to learn how to control this dopamine system yourself so it works for, not against you.

Taking control over this system usually involves less internet entertainment and more physical training. And when you do get to work, you voluntarily dive head first into it and focus exclusively on the task at hand.

Results are going to come after a few months - that's usually how long it takes to retrain your brain.

Josuee

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Apr 9, 2023
What are your screen time and consumption habits up until recently?
My screen time is currently around less than 1 hour on my phone and my computer less than 4 hours. This is an improvement from about a month to a year ago where I use to spend 12 hours on Youtube, Social Media, and Video Games.

I've only started to minimize my screen-time just recently and I am REALLY experiencing the withdrawal but after 2 weeks it's slowly getting better. I've been slowly filling up my extra time with good habits (Reading, Meditating, Going out in nature, Training, etc), but I'm only just realizing how bad my focus has become.

Considering this, If I continue to NOT use distracting content and keep continuing my good habits, my focus will increase?

Thank you for your response

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hey guys,

I'm wondering why I keep having mental distractions while reading. I keep wandering off and thinking of something completely different when I want to focus on learning through books. This is mainly the reason why it took me 2 months to finish Unscripted . I would read a couple pages and think of something irrelevant to what I've read, or worse, I'll completely forget what I've just read. I've already followed the advice of forum users here to delete all distractions on my phone and computer. But, Why do I have mental distractions? Why do I overthink so much? Why can't I focus?

If anyone could give me advice and or an answer I'd highly appreciate it.

Thanks
Try taking notes while you read. Allow your mind to expand on what you read and jot elaborations or draw a picture to help it all make sense to you. Check out active reading.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
my focus will increase?
Yes. You might ask but then how long will it take? The time it takes for you to see a noticeable amount of difference in your ability to focus will depend on how long you've been frying your mind and what type of things you've been frying it with.

In general, the longer you've been desensitized and the more hardcore the stimulation source was, the longer it will take for you to recover. Just another addiction mechanism type of deal. Read more about it if you're interested. I'm not as informed to give you the details.

Just know there are certain activities that can aid you in your recovery process. Cold therapy, clean diet, weight lifting, etc. @heavy_industry can give you some direction on this.

The time varies for each person, but you will reach a point when you can focus for hours on end (no joke). If you add caffeine + a solid workout during those days+ 1 song of repeat, you are literally a workhorse for 8-12 hours.

Anyhow, you're on a good track though so don't take what I wrote as "ugh F*ck it's going to take time?". Just stay with the course even if you don't see a significant improvement(yet). It'll happen. Good things take time. exponential-growth-scaled.jpg

If you can ignore how bad my handwriting with a mouse is. This is what your process will look like. It's just enduring and sticking to your plans until day X

Josuee

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Apr 9, 2023
Anyhow, you're on a good track though so don't take what I wrote as "ugh F*ck it's going to take time?". Just stay with the course even if you don't see a significant improvement(yet). It'll happen. Good things take time.
Got it, Thank you.

If you can ignore how bad my handwriting with a mouse is. This is what your process will look like. It's just enduring and sticking to your plans until day X
I don't mind, I think the graph looks awesome.

Try taking notes while you read. Allow your mind to expand on what you read and jot elaborations or draw a picture to help it all make sense to you. Check out active reading
Got it , I'll get my notebook out and start writing down important details from a current book I'm reading and extract out key details that can help me. Active reading, sounds like something I really need since I feel like I'm just binge reading books rather than extracting information. I'll look into how to REALLY actively read but If you have any videos, guides or forums that is related to active reading Id really appreciate if you sent it.

Anyways thank you guys so much, Really grateful you're helping a young fastlaner out.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Got it, Thank you.

I don't mind, I think the graph looks awesome.

Got it , I'll get my notebook out and start writing down important details from a current book I'm reading and extract out key details that can help me. Active reading, sounds like something I really need since I feel like I'm just binge reading books rather than extracting information. I'll look into how to REALLY actively read but If you have any videos, guides or forums that is related to active reading Id really appreciate if you sent it.

Anyways thank you guys so much, Really grateful you're helping a young fastlaner out.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Hey man, I suggest you watch Hamza's videos, especially when he only began his videos 10-15 moths ago. They have changed my life forever and I'll never look back.

If there is a man under 20 here I can absolutely bet their videos will help you.

Best of luck, and start from the "dopamine detox" video.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
You ever been diagnosed with ADHD?

My wife didn't figure out she had it until she was in her 30s. And it made a lot of things make a lot of sense.

Also attention is a muscle that you need to work, and screen time wrecks it (the more likely scenario for most people)

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I have a question.

I know I want to read more about dopamine and screen time things.

However, a quick one. My reading is over 90% on phone, when we talk of screen time, do we mean time spent on social scrolling and watching? Or is reading on phone or PC part of this screen time.

Besides, @heavy_industry and @Matt Lee, what books do you recommend I read to help me understand the workings of these things, because I have a variant of the same problem and I need to rewire my brain away from it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
where I use to spend 12 hours on Youtube, Social Media, and Video Games.

Here's your answer. Social media has rotted your brain.

Good news is, you can unrot it, but it will take time.

A lot of good advice has already been provided, and recognizing it is the first step.

Good luck.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Here's your answer. Social media has rotted your brain.

Good news is, you can unrot it, but it will take time.

A lot of good advice has already been provided, and recognizing it is the first step.

Good luck.
Can only attest to this.

Earlier this year I took a step back from social media (I literally cut all content consumption) and it has been life changing. One doesn't feel the effects right away, but then slowly you begin to realize that you can actually listen to someone and understand what they are saying.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
what books do you recommend I read to help me understand the workings of these things, because I have a variant of the same problem and I need to rewire my brain away from it.
@Isaac Odongo

I found Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence by Dr. Anna Lembke super useful. This book is a mix between hard science and plain English on how addictions/dopamines work. It is super easy to understand without any biology background.

Then there's Power of Habits by Charles Duhigg. It goes pretty deep into the habit feedback loops(aka compulsion loops), and how certain cues trigger certain behaviors. This is an amazing read if you want to figure out why you sometimes fall into old patterns and seem to run on autopilot. Somewhere in the book, you'll learn about "keystone" habits: how some habits trigger a cascade of other habits(and how to break them).

Lastly, I'd suggest Psychocybernetic by Maxwell Maltz. Not sure if you've read it, but it's some of the most powerful pseudoscience-based reading I've ever read. Sometimes, knowing the science isn't enough. Just as how people who are severely addicted to things know it's bad for them, but they can't help themselves. Pscyhocybernetic is something to look into when you want an extra pair of hands to help you out in reclaiming your mind.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
In addition to reducing screen time, I'd also like to suggest trying to read somewhere different. They say you should never use screens in bed because your brain will subconsciously associate your bed with being awake and active and not asleep. Maybe if you're always on screens and also reading in the same place (e.g., your bedroom or even house), getting yourself somewhere different will help? I've been working remotely for a while now and on the rare occasions that I do go into the office, I find that I'm much much more productive because the office is only associated with working. There are no chores, dogs, or relaxing to be had there, so they don't distract me.

A few other things that help me: 1) get into nature 2) exercise 3) cut down on caffeine 4) cut down on processed sugar 5) get enough high quality sleep.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
"Screen time" usually refers to digital entertainment.

If you're using your phone or computer to work or study, this is never going to dysregulate your brain's reward pathway. You can have a huge dopamine spike, but as long as the task you're performing requires effort, the brain will not get dysregulated - and in fact will get stronger.

Dopamine is not the problem.
Quick and easy dopamine that doesn't involve effort is the problem.

The only caveat is this:
Do not look at screens or other blue light emitting devices before bed. This will destroy your sleep, and by extension - your brain.

Besides, @heavy_industry and @Matt Lee, what books do you recommend I read to help me understand the workings of these things, because I have a variant of the same problem and I need to rewire my brain away from it.
Best in slot for learning this kind of science is The Huberman Lab Podcast.

It takes the incomprehensible scientific literature and explains it to the masses:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmOF0crdyRU&ab_channel=AndrewHuberman

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
Some practical information from a fellow distracted person

Here is what you can do:
  1. Turn off your inner monologue: When you read, often there's a voice inside your head that reads out each word to you. The problem is that this voice slows you down. By being conscious of that voice, you can train yourself to turn it off gradually. It takes some time though.
  2. Read with your finger: Use your finger to guide your reading. Our eyes do not stay in place and when they stray making them refocus takes time. I have implemented this when I feel distracted and it works really well.
  3. Stop reading books you don't like: Don't force yourself to finish a book that you don't like or need. If a book isn't good, put it down and move on to the next one. Also, do a partial reading of the chapters. If a book is not dense with valuable information and has a ton of fluff go straight to the table of contents and read what interests or is valuable to you at the time.
  4. Schedule your reading time: Find time during the day to read. You can read during your commute, on your lunch breaks, or even in between sets at the gym. The key is consistency. If this is difficult for you and you want to make it a habit, use the I will read at (place) on (time) after (activity) format. Eg: I will read in the living room every day at 18:00 after my afternoon tea.
  5. Read more than one book at a time: This allows you to switch between books when you get tired.
  6. Remembering and understanding what you read: Highlighting and note-taking are not as effective as you might think. The best way to remember what you read is to practice what you read in a real-life situation. If you want to remember something, discuss the ideas with someone else. If you want to check if you understand what you read try to explain it in simple terms to a 12-year-old.
  7. Remembering where you read it: You don't have to remember every idea from every book you've read. You only have to remember what ideas are in which book. When you need something, you can just grab the book off the shelf and find it. Never memorize something that you can look up.
  8. Keep the phone in another room when reading: this way you will not be compelled to check for social media and e-mails while reading.
Good luck friend!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS. I used this video as...ahem..inspiration (stole almost everything), but I have applied all these myself:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ2Lvi9kG2Q&ab_channel=MarkManson

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I have a question.

However, a quick one. My reading is over 90% on phone, when we talk of screen time, do we mean time spent on social scrolling and watching? Or is reading on phone or PC part of this screen time.

Damn good question!

Here's the answer as far as I understand it.

The short and simple answer is, reading literature, or anything that requires you to concentrate, is fine to do so on a screen. Cognitively, it won't affect you in the same way as scrolling through social media will. Although, depending on the type and size of screen, you may be affecting your eyesight.

The slightly longer (and still simple) answer is, the difference between reading a book on a phone screen, and social media, is the effect on eye movement.

When you're scrolling, your eyes are tracking what's on screen, on top of that, you have flashing ads, moving gifs, animations, and short videos to contend with. All of these things trigger something called the orienting response (aka orienting reflex), whereby you are compelled to pay attention to sudden movement. Or more accurately, changes in your environment that are not sudden enough to trigger the startle response.

When experiencing the orienting response, you receive a small shot of adrenaline, and cortisol. Along with this you experience changes in brain chemistry and galvanic skin responses (micro sweating). This is why you can often feel tired, irritated, and stressed, after a long social media session.

So unless you're reading your books at super speed, you will be experiencing the exact opposite responses to social media, as you are staring at a very slowly changing environment.

Note for any cognitive behavioural scientists out there: I have grossly oversimplified the orienting response; however, I feel it's relevant when discussing social media scrolling.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.