The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who here has a College Degree?

Jul 6, 2009
Hey everyone, I'm fairly interested to find out who here on this forums, actually have a college degree?

What school did you graduate from?
Are you happy you went to school?
Any life long lessons about school you can share with me?
What are the pro's and cons' of going to college?
Do you think its necessary to go to college to be for successful?
Do you think it actually makes you into a better person? Or is that just what the commercials say?
Has going to college even contributed to your success right NOW?

I ask these questions because im in college right now and i think its a waste of time!

I hope this discussion gets real deep!:hurray:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I waited until I was in my 40's to get my degree. My degree is in education and I graduated from a local state university. I did this to become a teacher, they typically HAVE to work 9 1/2 months a year. I made the switch because I had been in factory work for 22 years. It was tough on my health, respiration, hearing, eyesight, foot and back pains. I knew I couldn't keep going. My wife is a long time teacher and made the suggestion. Right after I began teaching we got into real estate. I wish I would have done this 20 years ago but I probably wouldn't have had the temperament I do now.

HCBailly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2008
Being a young college graduate who has done things the wrong way in the past, and am hopefully doing things the right way now, I think I have some perspective on this issue.

To give you a little background on myself, I’m far from rich, nor do I care to become so, so maybe take what I say with a grain of salt. I graduated from DeVry at the top of my class, but couldn’t find work at the time, so I went into the family business. Eventually, I purchased the business, but since I’m still doing all the work, I basically have a part-time job with a full-time income. It won’t make me rich, but working 20 hours per week to survive is better than the alternative.

Regarding the value of college, I recall the words that someone told me before I purchased the business. He asked me, “How much debt will you incur from the purchase? If you had that money, could you invest it for a better return?†In my case, I don’t have the knowledge to better invest the money, so the business was my best alternative.

Regarding college, the problem is that it incurs massive debt. I don’t even want to talk about the value of education. Let’s just stick to the financial numbers. Why are you going to college? In theory, to make a better living than you could without it, right? In other words, to make more money.

Look at your cashflow now, then look at it after graduating and even finding a good job (not something you might have to settle for). Obviously, while you’re studying at college for the next 3-4 years, you won’t be making much more money. That is, unless you have an internship, but you still have college on top of that. The next 5-10 years, you’re stuck under that massive debt.

So really, you’re looking at a minimum of 8 years before college will really start to pay off for you financially. Of course, if you plan on using that degree for the next 40 years, 8 years might sound like a small price to pay to the average person.

I’m not saying that you should drop out of college. I suppose it depends somewhat on who’s paying for it (parents?). Personally, I would just look at the numbers and see if it makes financial sense.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Great topic.

I wrote my response here.

It's very much from the heart.

I got a LOT out of college. But not at first.

At first, I approached it like I did high school:Study hard, get A's, focus, focus, focus . . .

Then I went the other way:party every night, Enjoy my new-found freedom(living away from home for the 1st time)

Then, I went through a "What the **** am I doing here?" phase.Questioned everything about what I was doing: What I was studying. Why. Where it would take me. And If I really wanted to go that route.

(to my surprise, the answer was "No!")

And once I realized I was studying things that I didn't want to do for the rest of my life, I realized I had to come up with a new plan.

So instead of dedicating my life and spending 50 years doing what I'd learned in college, instead, I decided to make life an adventure-- I decided that I didn't have to do *anything* for the rest of my life.

That I could change what I was doing when I wanted. Even if I liked it, and just wanted a change!!!

This was incredible, for me.

I'd been raised to decide on a major, pursue that course,and work at it for the rest of my life.

Seeing a different path--that of variety, and multiple avocations--that was the best decision of my life.

So I guess you could say I got a LOT out of college.

But ironically, it had less to do with the degree, than it did with growing up, and deciding I could live my dreams.

-Russ H.

Last edited:

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I agree with Russ. For me, college provided a safe place to try new things and spread my wings. But then, I lived on campus and was an active participant on campus.

When I went for my paralegal certificate, I took as many online courses as I could and was only on campus for classes and that was it. I just wanted my certificate.

I received a great deal more when I was an active participant in the campus community than when I was simply there just biding my time until I had a certificate in hand.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I got a B.A. in international business from Whitworth.
I'm glad I got a degree, not just for the education, but for the credential (which still has value in the rat race.)
It was very expensive, but research shows that it does pay for itself among employees. (Hard to say if an entrepreneur can get as much benefit.)
It is certainly not "necessary" to go to college to become successful, but if you have the means, it will open doors.
Although the courses in my major have been important, the more important stuff comes from the college experience overall. Time-management, research, writing, communication, group projects, drinking, dating... LOL.
And take a language, for god's sake. Pienso que el español abre la mayoría de las puertas.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I'll have mine in december, I enjoyed it. I'm glad I went, I'd do it again.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
What school did you graduate from? University of Oklahoma, BBA Finance (emphasis on investments and entrepreneurship)

Are you happy you went to school? Yes, I am now. Altho, at the time I was there, I didn't want to be. I thot it was a waste of time because I wanted to BE in business; not study ABOUT business. I was there because it was expected in our family. I'm glad now they "made" me go.

Any life long lessons about school you can share with me? Enjoy it. Especially if someone else is paying for it! Meet as many people as you can from every different field of study & demographic. I wish I'd done more of this. And rather than the tried and true, "Soooo, what's your major?", try asking "What do you plan on doing after school?", "If money were no object, what would you do for a job?" "What happened to you this week that made you think, 'Someone needs to invent...' or 'I wish I could find...'" etc. You'll get to know that person much better. Even if you never see that person again, you'll at least get some good ideas.

Pros: Opportunity to make a smoother transition between the security of home into the real world, networking, and of course, education. You will at least be exposed to enough information to give you a basic understanding of how a lot of things work in the world, which you might not ever be exposed to otherwise. Take an art class. Take an architecture class. Take a tennis class. Whatever.
Cons: It costs a lot of money, and takes a lot of time.

Do you think its necessary to go to college to be successful? No, of course not. Unless that is, you are planning to work in a highly specialized field that requires formal education such as medicine, law, etc.

Do you think it actually makes you into a better person? Or is that just what the commercials say? "It" doesn't do anything. You will get out of the experience what you want to get out of it. I don't think it could make you a worse person. Altho, I am concerned about a lot of the indoctrination that seems to go on nowadays on our college campuses. Seems as tho they are teaching students not "how to think", but rather "what to think" about particular philosophies, in particular.

Has going to college even contributed to your success right NOW? Hard to say. I'm not working in the field of my study. But even so, most contract opportunities that come across my desk require (or at least request) that the consultant (I) have a minimum of a bachelor's degree. Without my collegiate experience, I would certainly not have the understanding of business, finance, investments and entrepreneurship that I do today, since that was my area of emphasis.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
BS - Civil Engineering
MS - Geotechnical Engineering

University of Illinois

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
BS: Eastern Ky
MS: Middle Tenn
Got halfway to PhD at Ole Miss before I got sick of it... see the thread Russ did asking "Is it worth it?"

Short answer: Yes, if you invest yourself in learning but see that other thread.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have master degree in Computer Graphics Technology from ASU (Arizona State University). With bachelor degree in Biology in Taiwan.

Yes. Definitely. Without the school and education, I will just be the rest of Joe plumber or become the slaved immigrant of other corporation.

Professors don't teach you anything in graduate school. They teach you how to be independent, to be self-motivated and to discover your own interests of subjects. They only give you guidance and hints, but not decision. You make your own decision on where you will go from there. You earn your own respect.

Pros: You learn how to think logically. School gives you the opportunities to make less "STUPID" mistakes.
Cons: You may not apply the theory you learned in the school to the reality.

Definitely NO. However, the education will help you get there faster.

Do you think it actually makes you into a better person? Or is that just what the commercials say?
No. It's up to you to appreciate and contribute, regardless your education.

From where I grew up, I will have zero chance to reach what I have today. Without the master degree, I won't make 6x more than any American college students as immigrant on my first job after graduate.

The reality to me is this. College is just an environment for you to find yourself. Did I waste my four years in college to study Biology and two years in hospital doing cancer research and analyze DNA sequence?

No. Without all the hard working to get into research field, I won't make decision to switch my field to computer before the DOT COM era. Without the master degree, I won't have chance to write top notch program for top 5 law firms in the world. I won't be able to make good living while other people are out of job after DOT COM era ended.

One thing bothering me about the degree I have earned is this. I did not learn anything about entrepreneurship in school. I was educated all my life to become the best of the best in my field, so I can work for a good company for the rest of my life and die with the money that I will never be able to enjoy. Now I know that no company is a good company, if they are not your.

Now I feel like starting from scratch in College again. I am learning how to become a true entrepreneur and how to use my knowledge to do something more meaningful without sacrifice my life, family and dream. Those life lessens are not taught in school. You have to learn it on your own regardless.

Degree and education is just a tool. You can get that out side of school too. Make sure you pick the right one that fits your goal.

Jul 6, 2009
Thanks for all the replies it seem that most people on this thread actually don't regret going to school. But let me ask you this.

Do you think school actually brain washes people into believing that success is guaranteed once they have the degree at hand? Because my opinion is that colleges make claims of actually make you successful...which is getting a 9-5 and being an employee..when that is the furthest from success! I know you guys have seem the ITT commercials....lol

Any thought? Jill, Bobo, Peerless....etc

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
NO degree here.

I'm glad because many I know who have a lot of money invested in their education can't seem to make the transition to being an entrepreneur.

True wealth comes from being your own boss.

Jul 6, 2009
NO degree here.

I'm glad because many I know who have a lot of money invested in their education can't seem to make the transition to being an entrepreneur.

True wealth comes from being your own boss.
:yourock:

This is the reason i began this post. I feel the same way even tho i am currently going to college. I believe that l, from kindergarten , we have been mentally programmed to believe that going to school for the rest of our lives " aka playing it safe" Will make you a great success o even a great person.

My realization is that success comes from taking risk, stretching your comfort zone.....being on you last dime and putting it all on the line and watching your 7 thousand dollar investment turn into a 2.5 million dollar online business with in 1 year and a half. :banana:

I believe people go to college for a sence of belonging, but not for a sense of realzing what they can really do, how to take risks , have faith and stay positive.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Northern Illinois University,
BS in Finance (hated it and stayed and got another degree...)
BS in Marketing

Yes.

There's a song that sings "This is the time of your life" --- this describes college. Unfortunately, when you are engaged in college, you fail to realize this and can't wait to graduate and get into the real world. Let me tell you, there is no hurry. College is an experience you will never forget and decades removed from it, you will reflect in awe on the experience.

It subjects you to the brainwashing to the preordained plan (get a job, work hard for 40 years, blah blah)... if you possess a critical aversion to that plan, you can defend yourself and not be affected. Additionally, upon graduation if you are stacked with loan debt, your choices are severely limited and you are forced into admission (or submission) into the "preordained plan".

Not at all, but you will be challenged to "catch up" to your formerly educated peers. This is why continual education beyond graduation is so important.

More rounded.

It's hard to look at hindsight but I'd say yes. It sharpened my will to resist the preordained plan -- and the skills learned have helped, specifically, analytical analysis and marketing.

Salinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 31, 2009
Colorado
:yourock:

This is the reason i began this post. I feel the same way even tho i am currently going to college. I believe that l, from kindergarten , we have been mentally programmed to believe that going to school for the rest of our lives " aka playing it safe" Will make you a great success o even a great person.

My realization is that success comes from taking risk, stretching your comfort zone.....being on you last dime and putting it all on the line and watching your 7 thousand dollar investment turn into a 2.5 million dollar online business with in 1 year and a half. :banana:

I believe people go to college for a sence of belonging, but not for a sense of realzing what they can really do, how to take risks , have faith and stay positive.

I realize that CashFlow Depot just validated your "I think school is a waste of time and I don't want to go" feelings. It feels good to have someone echo your sentiment, but notice that she's the first, among a substantial number of posts advocating the value of a college degree or at least the experience.

Many entrepreneurial pursuits benefit from a college degree or at least the knowledge attained in the pursuit of that degree. While you can seek out the knowledge the you'll need for success outside of school, being in college puts you in an environment that facilitates the seeking of knowledge and gives you access to learning opportunities that you won't have just reading a book on XYZ for Dummies in your apartment.

Keep in mind that a lot of doctors, lawyers, accountants, engineers, computer programmers, chemists and biologists are also entrepreneurs. Having a degree will absolutely NOT prevent you from being entrepreneurial.

By the way, I have a BSBA from Northern Arizona University and an MBA from the University of Denver.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I realize that CashFlow Depot just validated your "I think school is a waste of time and I don't want to go" feelings. It feels good to have someone echo your sentiment, but notice that she's the first, among a substantial number of posts advocating the value of a college degree or at least the experience.
LOL. I laughed when I saw his response also. A dozen posters, most of whom are quite successful in life, agreed that college is a good thing. Then he finally latched onto the ONE that confirmed his opinion. But notice that CashFlow didn't say that it was a BAD thing. She just said that "...many ... who have a lot of money invested in their education can't seem to make the transition to being an entrepreneur." It's either the guilt of "wasting" the money on a different field of endeavor or student loans that are the issue here - not the experience or education. It is also harder to "transition" to being an entrepreneur when you are making good money - which is probably because you are making MORE money than you would without a college education, if you are just working in a job.

Ultimately, you will do what you want to do. But IMO, you will never regret it. So far, no one here who HAS a college degree has said that they regret getting it.

Jul 6, 2009

Many entrepreneurial pursuits benefit from a college degree or at least the knowledge attained in the pursuit of that degree. While you can seek out the knowledge the you'll need for success outside of school, being in college puts you in an environment that facilitates the seeking of knowledge and gives you access to learning opportunities that you won't have just reading a book on XYZ for Dummies in your apartment.

Keep in mind that a lot of doctors, lawyers, accountants, engineers, computer programmers, chemists and biologists are also entrepreneurs. Having a degree will absolutely NOT prevent you from being entrepreneurial.

By the way, I have a BSBA from Northern Arizona University and an MBA from the University of Denver.

I can agree with that. But the fact is that i think a person can invest 100,000 into themselves instead of into a educational system that is outdated and become substantially more richer than there professor who is training you to be an employee.
I think college is great for the experience of meeting new people and opportunities, but i can meet new people at the mall and get an opportunity in the classified ad section...
:coffee:.....The educational system is outdated...i think they need to apply these three courses that matter most in life

1. Philosophy
2. The human mind " psychology"
3. communications

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I can agree that the education system is flawed and in dire need of a repair. However, you are not going into this college thing blind. You will get out of it what you put into it.

What I see is making you look young and inexperienced, which I believe you are. I don't mean that as an insult. It doesn't make you look very good to ask for experiences and then use the one exception as your rule.

You asked for our experiences and our opinions, we gave it. If you don't want to go to college then don't go. Don't try to get someone else to make your decision for you.

I also believe it is about time to learn how to say thank you when members answer your questions.

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...-common-mistakes-made-when-asking-advice.html

Salinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 31, 2009
Colorado
I think college is great for the experience of meeting new people and opportunities, but i can meet new people at the mall and get an opportunity in the classified ad section...

Who are you going to meet at the mall?
What kind of opportunities will you find in the classifieds?

Think about it.

Are these the people you want to meet?
Are these the opportunities that will get you to your goals?

If that what works for you, have at it.

Jul 6, 2009
Who are you going to meet at the mall?
What kind of opportunities will you find in the classifieds?

Think about it.

Are these the people you want to meet?
Are these the opportunities that will get you to your goals?

If that what works for you, have at it.

I think the events that lead to success aren't dictated by who you meet in college. I mean you can meet anyone anywhere that can change your life.
The same person i meet at the mall can be the same person i can meet at a college campus. The distinction between the two locations is just based on circumstances of the individual who is seeking to find more out of life.
People go to college not for success but to be turned into employees. Its not realistic to say i cannot find a individual in the mall who is more suited to help me in my en devours than someone on a college campus. It just based on circumstance.
I think college is plain overrated and you can check the success rate of people who went to college who are millionaires.
Most millionaires didn't go to college...because its teaches to conform.:smxF:

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Well, I am certainly glad that I went to college for several reasons:
1. It allowed me an opportunity to become an independent person.
2. I met my wife there and have been married 20 years now.
3. I wouldn't be doing what I am doing without it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think college is plain overrated and you can check the success rate of people who went to college who are millionaires.

I think you made your mind up before you made this post. You don't like college and don't want to go and that's fine. But you asked the question and you got the answers.

Why do they make movies like Old School and Revenge of the Nerds?? :smug2:

It's because college is an experience. It's fun. Put a bunch of 18-24 year old guys and girls together in a building which is 100 miles away from their parents. Lower the bar entrance age to 19 instead of 21. Make beers $0.50.

What do you think the experience is like? When else in your life can you take a 6 hour road trip for Thai food and make it back for an 8am class? Where else can you build a huge 20ft snowman in the middle of a busy road at 3am and watch the traffic jam in the morning. At what point in life would you be able to or want to do that crazy stuff again??

While I was in college I had many friends come visit and say "If I knew college was this much fun, I would have studied more in high school." LOL

I would argue that in these days (vs. the 90's) that you will FIND MORE SUITABLE business partners in college due to technology. How many college students have partnered up to start businesses while in college these days?? If I were in college today I would imagine that much of the talk would be about starting businesses and creating websites and web businesses.

:groove:

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Where else can you build a huge 20ft snowman in the middle of a busy road at 3am and watch the traffic jam in the morning.

Sound like this is from personal experience. :rofl:

Jul 6, 2009
I think you made your mind up before you made this post. You don't like college and don't want to go and that's fine. But you asked the question and you got the answers.

Why do they make movies like Old School and Revenge of the Nerds?? :smug2:

It's because college is an experience. It's fun. Put a bunch of 18-24 year old guys and girls together in a building which is 100 miles away from their parents. Lower the bar entrance age to 19 instead of 21. Make beers $0.50.

What do you think the experience is like? When else in your life can you take a 6 hour road trip for Thai food and make it back for an 8am class? Where else can you build a huge 20ft snowman in the middle of a busy road at 3am and watch the traffic jam in the morning. At what point in life would you be able to or want to do that crazy stuff again??

While I was in college I had many friends come visit and say "If I knew college was this much fun, I would have studied more in high school." LOL

I would argue that in these days (vs. the 90's) that you will FIND MORE SUITABLE business partners in college due to technology. How many college students have partnered up to start businesses while in college these days?? If I were in college today I would imagine that much of the talk would be about starting businesses and creating websites and web businesses.

:groove:

I agree college is an experience. I'm in it now..lol.
I remember presentation in front of my Spanish instructor after going to bed at 6 am from a crazy party hung over off my behind, and waking up at 8am ..pulling off a A+. I also remember taking road trip from long island to the Bronx to the Manhattan and having tons of fun.
But as i read these post and thought of my own experience, i concluded that in conjunction with all the money that is spent to go to college it is really a waste... but that just my opinion.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
What school did you graduate from? California State @ Sacramento
Are you happy you went to school? Yes, it's an easy way to party 4 years of your life away, and you get a step ahead of everyone on salary when you come out.
Any life long lessons about school you can share with me? Don't pay a bunch of money to go to an expensive college. Any degree is a degree in the working world... Nobody ever asks what your GPA was either ;)
What are the pro's and cons' of going to college? Pro's: Get a job with a high wage right away, Con's: Your choosing a much harder road which most people will never achieve success on, despite the stories of people who never went to college that are successful...
Do you think its necessary to go to college to be for successful? No, but it gives you a jump on the competition, and makes you a bit more polished... There's something to be said for someone with a formal education.
Do you think it actually makes you into a better person? Or is that just what the commercials say? It definitely does. It helps to become a complete person, who is well rounded and educated in ALL subjects -- not just the ones that interest you. It will definitely help you become a better writer which is important in life.
Absolutely.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
the couple of things I got out of college were the several semesters of law classes I took (Biz law and constitutional law) ... many of the ideas I learned in these classes have stuck with me, especially about rights involving contracts, etc. (I can't remember any briefs, tho)

another part of the college experience (besides the keggers, road trips and tail chasing) that shaped my life were the classes that stressed critical thinking processes. Prior to college, I spent a lot of time "jumping the gun" and talking without thinking but several classes changed the habits and made me much more aware in analyzing situations.

on that note I am appalled by those who shun education for the sakes of "making money"

I'd rather be educated and poor than be rich and ignorant.... fortunately for us, we can be educated and rich.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
I think instead of going to college ( often being forced to learning something that you'll never use again in your whole life) you should spend that same time and money learning from successful people - you'll go much further in life.

You'll have a hard time finding a college professor who is also a successful entrepreneur. You've probably heard, those who can do, those who can't teach. What can you really learn about running a business from someone who has never run one?

If you spend 4 years reading, studying and attending seminars by Jim Rohn, and others in the area of your interest then you'll get to where you want to be financially much faster. If you want to learn internet marketing, attend Yanik Silver, Frank Kern, Perry Marshall, Kevin Wilke seminars and implement what you learn immediately.

If you want to learn real estate investing, spend 4 years studying and applying what you learn from Jack Miller, Peter Fortunato, Dyches Boddiford. Every field of interest has masters and leaders who share their knowledge. But you have to be careful to find the trainers who actually DO what they teach instead of just teaching theory. That's hard to find in the real estate investing world.

You can also take specific college classes that interest you and which will help you get in the fast lane instead of working towards a degree.

You should be a life-long learner!

Salinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 31, 2009
Colorado
You'll have a hard time finding a college professor who is also a successful entrepreneur.
This is absolutely WRONG! I had many professors who were also entrepreneurs - franchise owners, consultants, attorneys and owners and founders of various businesses. This is perhaps understandable where I was, in the College of Business. However, my wife is working with a current professor of computer science who has a thriving technology business. Check out AgentSheets. Examples are everywhere that contradict this misconception.

You can also take specific college classes that interest you and which will help you get in the fast lane instead of working towards a degree.

You should be a life-long learner!
:iagree:I agree with this 100%!
You should absolutely take the classes that YOU want to take. Pursue the ones the interest YOU and will get you the knowledge you need to move you closer to your goal. The degree may be secondary, or not important at all. That's okay. Perhaps, to paraphrase a common saying, when you change the way you look at college, your perception of college will change.

Salinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 31, 2009
Colorado
I think the events that lead to success aren't dictated by who you meet in college. I mean you can meet anyone anywhere that can change your life.
The same person i meet at the mall can be the same person i can meet at a college campus. The distinction between the two locations is just based on circumstances of the individual who is seeking to find more out of life.
People go to college not for success but to be turned into employees. Its not realistic to say i cannot find a individual in the mall who is more suited to help me in my en devours than someone on a college campus. It just based on circumstance.

Sure, you might meet your next mentor or business partner at the mall or at the homeless shelter or the bus stop, but the odds are much greater that you'd meet someone who could aid your future success at school or out in the business world. Heck, be a dorm room entrepreneur. Get your business going before you finish school.

There are as many reasons for going to college as there are students. Not all are there to become employees. That may be your perception, but I challenge you to prove it. Go through one of the dorms on campus and ask the students if that's why they're there. You'll find a lot that want to start a business. If you go to the English department you'll find those that want to write the great american novel - that's fastlane. If you go to the Science department, you'll find people who want to find a cure for a disease or make life better for people in some way - that can certainly be fastlane. Entrepreneurs are everywhere. They may not fit your narrow definition, but they're entrepreneurs.

I challenge your statement that most millionaires didn't go to college. Citation please.

To me it sounds like you're just not ready to be in school right now. Maybe you already know all you need to start your million dollar business. If so, stop beating this horse and go do it!
:fastlane:

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.