The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Who buys courses?

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Part of it depends on the context for the potential buyer. On Udemy there's an expectation of low price, low value. People go into it for tidbits of insight or to get enough to get moving.

When I buy from Udemy it's because I want an introduction without reading a 300 page book or sifting through blogs. The info is out there, but I want it summarized. If there are useful insights, even better.

I get a lot of students on Udemy, but the trade-off is that I don't make a lot of money. Right now I'm breaking into the $2k/mo range with 11 courses after two years. If I had the same amount of students in my high-ticket courses, I'd be at $10 million.

If you've got something that's niched down and high-value, then high-ticket courses is the way to go. It would only take 10 students enrolling in my old $2,500 courses to generate the entirety of my Udemy earnings (from 4,000 students) to date.

But...high-ticket courses aren't as passive. So there is that to consider.
Curious if you’ve got higher ticket courses for any of your 4,000 Udemy students @Lex DeVille.

With the “10% would pay 10x” rule of thumb then you might have 400 willing to pay $100, 40 willing to pay $1k, and 4 willing to pay $10k. Maybe not from Udemy based on the context you mention above.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
Curious if you’ve got higher ticket courses for any of your 4,000 Udemy students @Lex DeVille.

With the “10% would pay 10x” rule of thumb then you might have 400 willing to pay $100, 40 willing to pay $1k, and 4 willing to pay $10k. Maybe not from Udemy based on the context you mention above.
I don't have any right now. Over the past year they've up-sold into my $100 offers like Upwork bio or proposal reviews, or into my $300 paid email list. I ran a 1:1 coaching a while back too, but that's not available now, and I don't have any high-ticket courses open at the moment.

But yes, once they get value from the low-end courses (and because a lot of them actually make money freelancing afterward) then it's an easy choice because they've already earned back their initial investment. So it's pretty easy to rationalize that they'll make back their investment in something higher too.

mikemiller

PARKED
Aug 19, 2019
There are 1000s oc courses online out there.
About everything.
But do really a relevant amount of people buy them?

As I m at FB sometimes, I m allways annoyed about the courses selling advertisement, I thought about doing that myself.
And offering affiliate courses and apply them only at facebook.

so I ask myself: does really anyone buy these courses? About getting rich, getting girls, getting light...
Ofcourse, there are so many people who buy courses. Some of them are students while some are professionals.

Sean P

Contributor
Jul 4, 2014
According to this FAQ statement on their site, Udemy "features an extensive, multi-language library, which includes over 130,000 courses taught by expert instructors." That's a pretty big number for one website. I don't think all courses sell though. The ones that sell have to be of decent quality and need a certain amount of promotion especially just after launch.

There are quite a few sites like Udemy though not as big. A few examples are Lynda and Skillshare. Anyone who creates a course that meet the platform's guidelines can sell a course on Udemy. Skillshare has a subscription model and pays per minutes.

People sell courses on their websites too using course selling platforms like Teachable, Thinkific, Kajabi etc. It's supposed to be one of the best ways to monetize a blog - to make a course in the niche the blog is in.

Digital products like ebooks and courses are selling like hot cakes, especially as millions of people hop on to the internet for all kinds of information and are willing to pay for it. It's a misconception that all information is available through a Google search and hence no one will be willing to purchase what can be found online for free.

On the contrary, people are willing to pay good money if they can find what they want in one place either in an ebook or a set of videos. To give an example, there are excellent videos that teach coding on YouTube but the hottest selling courses online are the ones that teach the same thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom