The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When did you realize the system is rigged?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
This is a bit dark, but a fair few people have committed suicide in those rooms.

And the rest are dead on the inside from working a job that they hate.

(I've been way to motivational today, had to throw in some cynicism lol)

Patrickg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 20, 2016
My FTE:

I graduated college, wow did I think I was about to make a shit ton of money. Spent shit ton of money on clothes/suits for interviews.

Finally, landed a job. Thought I was high flying base salary and commission. He convinced me I was going to make "6 figures" in no time.

Realized quickly I wasn't going to make anywhere near 6 figures. I could hardly afford to pay rent and other expenses. Middle of the winter my gas cap froze on my car. And I broke it off to find out the replacement and the gas emptied my bank account.

Mind you I have a job at this time.. I'm just embarrassed to tell you how little I was making.....

The next day I got laid off. Some guy in the company committed huge fraud and they went bankrupt. That was my F*ck this event. I remember it like yesterday.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
that's a great way to look at it and I appreciate this perspective on graduate schooling. You're right, whatever knowledge I'm learning now can help me even if I don't necessarily work in that career. I'm glad you achieved a positive outcome from your education even if it led to something different than you imagined.
You will have a lot of social pressure when you finish and you don't followed the expected path -- I sure did. My friends assumed that I would fall into line. They thought I had to buy the right car and the right house and the right wardrobe and belong to the right club...

Since I had been in RE for years and had several credentials, I could have stepped right into being a RE attorney... and made $500 per hour... but, I had a nightmare. I dreamed I was stuck in an office, filled with piles of fat files that were stacked waist deep. And I had huge nocturnal eyes from never seeing the sunlight. I was coming in before the sun came up and going home after it set. I was eating my lunch at my desk. All I was doing was contract work -- paper after paper. UG! Oh how I hate paperwork and love RE field work!

So, I bought a little rag-top sports car and I spent most of my time on the road going from job to job. I had jobs from Central California down to Mexico -- and over into Arizona and Nevada. By the time I retired, I turned down 2 or 3 jobs for everyone I took. I was single women who had no pets or house plants. My whole life was geared to my business. I was living in the Greater Los Angeles area. I just got in my little car and I went where I wanted, when I wanted. I consulted for banks, the Federal Government, attorneys and I also did a lot of residential/commercial appraising during those years. I started off with my own corner office in the building down the street manned by my 4 secretaries. In the end, I moved my office into my extra bedroom. It was me, my digital camera, my computer system, and my cell phone. The digital advances meant that I no longer needed secretaries.

I hope my story inspires you. I have gone and done more than I ever could have dreamed. I came from a very modest beginning. I ended up in Los Angeles playing with the big boys. It took a LOT of work and education (4 college degrees, multiple licenses, and lots of experience). I was working and going to school when others were partying. BUT, I never forgot where I started and I've always been grateful for all the breaks I got over the years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Is the system really rigged? I mean for most people they are completely content with the script, most would cringe at the idea of having to work harder than you are "paid to do". Some would flat out rather die than go build a business after working a semi-stressful 9 hour a day job. I mean who would give up netflix and "orange is the new black" to become financially independent in 5-10+ years?

Is the system meant to contain? Yes, it is. However, the exit routes have always been available for those willing to go the extra mile.

Afterall, the system is what creates the consumer market.

Could you imagine if everyone was a "real" entrepreneur? Who would buy your fidget spinners?

Most likely your bosses, bosses, boss, the founder of the company, started off just like many of us, just an entrepreneur with a mission and drive to be different.

And soon hopefully quite a few of us here will eventually hire our own people and they too will complain about the system...but only a few will decide to escape it.

I am thankful to have immediate access to my companies director. I love to watch how he interacts with vendors and clients, even as an employepreneur I find tremendous value in how my company/bosses/managers operate and take notes daily.

Just my thoughts.

Absolutely hear you loud and clear on this.

Could you imagine if everyone was a "real" entrepreneur? Who would buy your fidget spinners?

Funny enough though, I often thought that even if everyone was an entrepreneur, maybe there WOULD indeed still be room for business amidst each other - e.g. Some businesses need to purchase raw materials to create their product, which means as a business, you'd have to purchase raw materials from another business to proceed. B2B is a reality.

Also, if I have a business and I outsource my marketing to another company/individual who is a marketing pro, then, that'd be a business doing business with another business. B2B

I know it's not that much an easy walk in the park, lol, but, I genuinely believe opportunities are around us every where, as you correctly said, and as A LOT of us are understanding through this remarkable forum - we have to go out, get it and make the great things happen.

Last edited:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Not exactly the same, but when I told my parents I was dropping out of college, they refused to pay for anything else, and were ready to kick me out.

In their eyes, it was better to spend 40k at a university, than to save that money for a rainy day.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Over the last few months I have been studying and working to become a better copywriter alongside my college course in Software Development. I want to be able to target higher end clients and niche down into more reoccurring work and spending less time chasing contracts.

A friend of mine contacted me about a week ago and asked did I want to do venue security for a popular concert in the local area. They were short on staff and it was easy money (10 euro an hour *$12* for directing traffic while listening to music that I like) so I decided to do it.

Ended up working 11 hours the first night and a 20 hour shift the second night. Staring at a road sign at 5am in the morning with nobody around has a strange way of motivating you to work even harder in your Fastlane pursuits. What was even more worrying though was at one point I was stationed near the medical tent to assist the medics with drunk patrons. The biggest issue I found wasn't the drunk partiers but all the other security guys in there 40's and 50's coming in needing medical attention as they literally were working themselves into the ground. While it was a nice one off experience for me and some cash to add to my Fastlane soldiers it scared me to think that could be me in thirty years time if I don't take things more seriously.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
It does seem like there could be a better yard stick than net-worth.

The day I hired a new accountant and he asked me, "Why are you paying so much in taxes?"

Long story short, he explained that because I qualified as an "accredited investor" in the eyes of the IRS, I had access to tax shelters that others didn't have access to. And that I could literally reduce my effective tax rate 10-15% by using these tax shelters.

I've since realized that there are several tiers of tax sheltering, many that I (and most others) will likely never have access to because they are reserved for people with much higher net worth than I have. I finally realized why -- besides just the additional knowledge you gain -- it's much easier to make the second million than the first. And why it's much easier to make the twentieth million than either the first or the second.

Accredited investor status also gives you access to investments that others don't have access to. For example, a good friend of mine recently sold his company for eight figures and started a new company. He offered many of our friends an opportunity to buy "friends and family" equity in the new company during his Series A venture capital raise; given the specifics of the situation, this investment is has a very good chance of returning 20-100 times the initial investment in a short period of time. Basically, it's a common way in the tech startup world to help your friends/family make a lot of money with relatively little risk.

Unfortunately, while he offered the investment to many of our friends, only those who were "accredited" in the eyes of the IRS were legally allowed to take advantage of the opportunity. For our friends who have a lot of money, this is a way of likely making a lot more. For our friends who don't have a lot of money, they are being stopped from taking advantage of the situation.

In other words, the system is "rigged" in favor of the wealthy to help them generate more wealth, and rigged against those who are not yet wealthy, keeping them below the threshold where they could start to more easily compound their assets.

This is the reason why I would tell every investor/entrepreneur I know to focus the first several years on building a big income (more than $200K per year) or at least $1M in assets -- once you hit that accredited investor threshold, you'll find that compounding your earning becomes much easier.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Wow.. that was an old man ramble if there ever was one. I guess that place really angered me. I am sorry friends.

No apologies needed. Good, and interesting story.

It's always good to be reminded of how non-green the grass on the other side can be. Especially in the times when entrepreneurship gets tough.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
We go to school from 5 years old to 18 years old.

From 8AM-3PM. We have a teacher telling us what to do. We have to ask permission to go to the bathroom, when to go on lunch/break, when to move class, and when to go to the next grade. We also can't speak up during class without raising our hand.

From 18 years old to 65 years old:

From 9AM-5PM. We have a boss telling us what to do. We have to ask permission to skip work, leave early, go to the bathroom (depending on the job), and have our company tell us when to go on break/lunch.

I slowly realized that school was just a way to prep the next generation of employees. Teach them some basic reading/writing, some arithmetic, and how to follow orders.

It's a good thing the system is setup this way. I honestly don't think it would work if there were more entrepreneurs than worker bees. Who would we hire?

I'm pretty sure I read this on this forum or in the books. It's been a while.

Featured+

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I feel blessed that I got to learn that lesson at such a young age. I took a high paying contract job helping a startup get off the ground and stockpiled as much cash as I could. I moved away from NYC to a place with a much lower cost of living and I decided to start a software company helping small businesses sell online like I was doing for big businesses. The cash I built up from the contracting job paid for me to spend 6 months building version 1.0 of the software. The first year I sold $12,000. That's a far cry from a six-figure salary but at least I knew that no one could fire me but myself. I worked my tail off and eventually had 5 people working for me. I made more money than I every did at a job and created intellectual property that still brings in royalty checks to this day.

I haven't achieved full money system independence yet but I'm on my way and I'm inspired by MJ's books and the incredible stories here.

Excellent story, glad to have you here.

Tris

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jan 5, 2018
New York
Sometimes I feel like my company sat on the committee to write The Script.

In many ways, I can defend the pharmaceutical industry in good faith. But there are days when I know thegood things we do don't outweigh the reality of it all.

I was so enamored by my job.

I was a rock star.

Walk into an office with Starbucks in one hand and a briefcase full of drugs in the other hand. Cute receptionists smiling big and waving at me. A nurse gives me a big hug and grabs her venti skinny soymilk late and calls me a life saver. I got my fat bonus check yesterday and on our morning conference call the regional director said I'm the one to go to for clinical knowledge.

Then I see the doctor, "Oh (insert name of drug), how about you go into this room and tell this patient who's dying why her prescription costs $1,200 a month"

All I can do is parrot back the party line, "blah blah insurance companies suck blah blah patient assistance program blah blah."

Suddenly, Im not a rock star. I'm the face of a company who makes a great drug for really sick people... and the price keeps going up every month.

And then I meet the husband of the patient and he tells you it's ok. Because he'll pay whatever he needs to to keep his wife alive. And then he tells me that none of the hospitals will put her on a transplant list because she's too sick.

And then my day just goes to shit.

Combine that with:
  • Your CEO testifying before congress then getting fired with a $30 million severance
  • Realizing that you're not getting paid for almost half the prescriptions you sold
  • Realizing you're not going to hit quota because you're not getting paid on half of the scripts you sold
  • Getting sold the dream of middle management only to be told you're not qualified when the position opens up
That's when I realized the system is rigged. And it sucks. And the only reason I go to work in the morning is because I can put 20% of that pay check towards my business.

When did you realize the system was rigged? More importantly, what did you do about it?
I realized after I got my first job that I didn't want to live like everyone else. I felt like everyone were clones to society and hardly anyone wanted to be different. I wanted to feel different. I wanted to live differently. When I started college, I realized even more that it was total bullshit. You are fed lies that you will get higher paying jobs and able to live a better life because you went to college. They were even spreading the "only study STEM" script and I followed it. I wanted to be able to get a job when I finished, so I only focused on STEM majors. I realized more and more that it was all a lie because I had so many co-workers that were college graduates that were working as waiters and waitresses! Doing jobs that has nothing to do with their degree. They couldn't find that "dream job". This is why i started businesses. I didn't want to live the scripted life. i did find a job after college that had nothing to do with my degree and was underpaid and it was the TOTAL definition of "Corporate." I saw people celebrating the weekend. They were ecstatic that the weekend was near. They spent 12 to 16 hr days on the job. They had no life. I quit. I didn't want to live like that. Now I am 100% focused on business. Sure we will have to keep one foot in the door to pay the bills, but the important thing is that we are aware of the scripted bullshit and that we want to get away from it.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I don’t understand, what is ment with rigged.

A entrepreneur builds a company. He employs people to work for him. He is free and not rigged. He rigs the other side.

The man working for that entrepreneur is in a rigged system,because he gets less than the entrepreneur?

Hm.

When he s ill, the entrepreneur has to pay his paycheck though and so on.

If a man gets the one or the other, its a question of choices.
But in my opinion its not a rigged systen from itself.

Shouldn t the question be: when did you recognize, that you have choices. Isn’t the FYM the point when you realize the choices you have?
Yes. You are telling the truth that we have choices. And by you knowing that truth, you are able to step out of that box.

A lot of different aspects can be considered "rigged". Some people have built-in advantages -- or they look that way. But, are they really???? I can look at my life from a longer view and know that some of those advantages are "golden handcuffs". They actually stop the person from succeeding and reaching their potential. Here's an example:
When I was 19, (a long, long time ago) I was a country girl who went to downtown Los Angeles to make my fortune. I went to a start-up college that is now world-famous for its students. It was a private, specialized education. Most of the other students had a lot of advantages. Their daddies paid for their apartments and their living expenses. They had unlimited school supplies. I was working just about full time, going to school full time, and I could barely buy enough food. The others made fun of me every day because I had no social life and I was working so hard. I only had the school supplies which were included in my tuition. I had to make them last for the whole semester. But, I made straight As while they muddled through the classes. I made friends with my teachers and professors who gave me great references and insights. I got a stellar education that I still daily use today. The other student's advantages actually held them back because they didn't grab onto that opportunity as I did. I was there to learn -- they were there to hang out. Yes, the system appeared to be "rigged" against me. It worked perfectly for me. I've collected a few other college degrees since those early days in Los Angeles. But, I'm still grateful for the attention I got from my teacher and professors during that first run at higher education.

As an editing note: I never expected to get a fair shake. I always knew the system was "rigged" against little country girls like me. I always knew I must work harder and smarter than people who born with a silver spoon in their mouths. I saw that many of their advantages were really an Achilles' Heel. Most of the time, it would lead to their downfall either from them making a major misstep or complacency. I had to do nothing -- but keep on working. It was my leg up on the system. AND I ALWAYS KNEW I WOULD WIN IN THE END. I accepted that I would lose a few battles along the way, but the war was mine.

Last edited:

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
The day I hired a new accountant and he asked me, "Why are you paying so much in taxes?"

Long story short, he explained that because I qualified as an "accredited investor" in the eyes of the IRS, I had access to tax shelters that others didn't have access to. And that I could literally reduce my effective tax rate 10-15% by using these tax shelters.

I've since realized that there are several tiers of tax sheltering, many that I (and most others) will likely never have access to because they are reserved for people with much higher net worth than I have. I finally realized why -- besides just the additional knowledge you gain -- it's much easier to make the second million than the first. And why it's much easier to make the twentieth million than either the first or the second.

Accredited investor status also gives you access to investments that others don't have access to. For example, a good friend of mine recently sold his company for eight figures and started a new company. He offered many of our friends an opportunity to buy "friends and family" equity in the new company during his Series A venture capital raise; given the specifics of the situation, this investment is has a very good chance of returning 20-100 times the initial investment in a short period of time. Basically, it's a common way in the tech startup world to help your friends/family make a lot of money with relatively little risk.

Unfortunately, while he offered the investment to many of our friends, only those who were "accredited" in the eyes of the IRS were legally allowed to take advantage of the opportunity. For our friends who have a lot of money, this is a way of likely making a lot more. For our friends who don't have a lot of money, they are being stopped from taking advantage of the situation.

In other words, the system is "rigged" in favor of the wealthy to help them generate more wealth, and rigged against those who are not yet wealthy, keeping them below the threshold where they could start to more easily compound their assets.

This is the reason why I would tell every investor/entrepreneur I know to focus the first several years on building a big income (more than $200K per year) or at least $1M in assets -- once you hit that accredited investor threshold, you'll find that compounding your earning becomes much easier.

wow.......I didnt know that but Im not surprise....Thanks a lot for that piece of education. REP+

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
After i got my "big break", going from Fresh Direct Freezer Worker to Litigation Support Analyst.

3 weeks into it something smelled real fishy to me... i felt miserable, i thought i needed to get laid... and then i still felt miserable...
and then one day on my way home from work, walking to the train, staring at the sidewalk in front of me, i realized that plain and simple... i f*cked up.
My whole life was leading up to this moment, i was meant to become an office drone. and i said F*ck that and became unscripted .

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
I can't even put into words how sick I felt going to my slowlane job, like my life had ended or something. Every time I would ask how people could take this for years they would just get mad or say "suck it up, you get used to it". Used to a useless, boring life?

Because that kind of life is not pure hell. Its not forced labor in North Korea, we can go back home, grab some beers and watch TV. And everyone is doing it, so its easy to say " Oh well that's the life I'm supposed to live, right ? ". When I tell my friends about alternatives to the slowlane they say this sounds fun but unrealistic.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
I lost it at falling asleep in the interview :rofl:

Reading that post makes me want to go take some interviews... just to troll and have fun.

I have half the mind to start a new thread just for this purpose alone and we post the results.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Same here, its all that time and effort for nearly nothing.

I remember 1 lunch break looking up at the beautiful green hills in the distance and realising "Shit, theres a whole world out there right now. right this moment, and most people are just stuck in an office. Just because its a weekday doesn't mean shit, theres life and freedom out there"

Oh that perfectly sums up my last job. I was in web development which isn't bad, but the company culture and my boss were terrible. I would sit on my a$$ for 10 hours a day and be judged for taking lunch break (that's what got me f'ing fired). I was right next to the large window so it was kind of like an aquarium. I would watch people zip by, kids chase each other, etc. And I was stuck on my numb a$$. I was even envious of the postman just because he could move around like a human being. I would legit go home pale in the face then sit in a corner depressed.

I feel so guilty complaining about something people in other countries starving would wish for, but god damn it makes me so mad how this misery could be seen as normal.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I was only 18 and had different set of values back then. I am 100% sure all of the earned money was being stolen by upper management, so I just took my share, lol.

I would've acted differently if I had the set of values I have now, but it's just a funny memory of getting screwed up early, lol.

PS: I hope my honesty and transparency won't get be labeled as a Tanisha2, haha.
Ahh ok, 18 haha. Unfortunately have my own similar story from that age. When I worked in a liquor store my friends and I that worked there confused the word "ullages" with "free alcohol" on the odd Friday night.

The 18 year olds on the Fastlane forum right now make us look like a pair of dunces though;)

TheRegalMachine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jul 27, 2017
Moon Base
Did I miss it, or has everyone somehow missed the most depressing part of the job search: The gatekeeper to getting an interview in the first place is always somehow a 24 year old girl that you wouldn't let balance your checkbook.
It's really hard to tread this path without sounding a bit sexist (or bitter) but I'll take the heat.

The overwhelming majority of human resource managers and employees are women. Not just young blonde white women either but women of varying ages and "backgrounds". The one connecting trait is they were underachievers like many worker bees and end up stuck in a unrewarding positions for double x amount of years.

As you said some of them don't have the educational or skill background to be judging other people on a jobs they only understand on paper (with bullet points). Some aren't too keen on hiring certain people due to their own biases which are as varied as the color spectrum. 'Over educated" seems to be one of the excuses I've experienced HR reps use. Because I have a degree with a certain title they take it upon themselves to decide I don't need a job. I've seen HR reps judge people on physical traits and not hire them on that bias alone.

Now here's the one I'm ready to take heat for: You have HR reps/managers who just don't want to hire men/males in general for various reasons.

If the staff is mostly female with EOE all they have to do is meet a quota and send all other male applicants packing. I've worked in predominately female work environments and being one of the few guys made me feel unwelcome. Not to mention some of my coworkers exacerbated this feeling. So they don't hire men to maintain a certain culture.

One of the reason why when I did look for 9to5 jobs I tried my best to circumvent the gatekeepers and learn about a companies "culture".
This wasn't easy because getting to the right person can be damn near impossible and doing so can get you locked out from a job because you're not following protocol, but it was a risk I was willing to take.

Just like many women don't want to deal with a "Boys Club" at work, I didn't want to deal with a "Girls Club".

Nhyk9fE.jpg

OmarLopez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 9, 2017
México
Appreciate it.

That was a weird time when I was trying to figure everything out.

My parents were telling me to get a job. My friends were all confused with what I was doing. After awhile I started doubting myself too.

But after interviewing with a handful of companies and seeing what my life could be, I'm glad I stuck to the fastlane path.

Thanks for your awesome narrative! I seriously felt tired at how long the interviews were!

For me the most important moment was in May, after reading The Millionaire Fastlane something clicked in mi mind. I wasn´t happy before but I could not figure out the why.

But the book made me see my job from a different perspective.

I tough that to be rich I had to endure endless days of work to be recognized and get promotions so I could earn a better income and repeat the process for YEARS. And with more promotions more responsabilities and time sucked out of me. I saw my friends who had the same job as me and they were not happy. I saw my bosses and they were not happy. I saw their bosses and guess what, they looked old, cranky and their eyes were not longer alive. This was my future of endless sacrifice of my time to them?

F*ck no!

This moment occurred in a meeting, where the higher ups were telling us that our commitment with the company wasn´t enough.

Now I know there is another way to riches and is not easy, but this path of entrepeneurship is my CHOICE! And that´s a lot better than slaving my time for someone else, whom may not even care for me at all.

I resigned on that month and moved from Mexico City to Hidalgo, which is a lot nicer and calm. My journey is just starting but I like it more here, plus I got my family out of harms way because of the earthquake that happened this Semtember 17th. Talk about luck!

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
When I was 15 yrs old. Always realized something was wrong but can't quite feel what's the cause.
When I was 23+, that's when I started knowing I needed MP (Meaning & Purpose) in my life.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
We go to school from 5 years old to 18 years old.

From 8AM-3PM. We have a teacher telling us what to do. We have to ask permission to go to the bathroom, when to go on lunch/break, when to move class, and when to go to the next grade. We also can't speak up during class without raising our hand.

From 18 years old to 65 years old:

From 9AM-5PM. We have a boss telling us what to do. We have to ask permission to skip work, leave early, go to the bathroom (depending on the job), and have our company tell us when to go on break/lunch.

I slowly realized that school was just a way to prep the next generation of employees. Teach them some basic reading/writing, some arithmetic, and how to follow orders.

It's a good thing the system is setup this way. I honestly don't think it would work if there were more entrepreneurs than worker bees. Who would we hire?

I'm pretty sure I read this on this forum or in the books. It's been a while.

and the worst part is they make you feel that its what you want too.
How sinister is it to manipulate the brain in such a way that you convince urself that the unnatural is natural.
And even worse to so utterly brainwash people that they then brainwash their own children and think it's the best thing for them.

goddamn man...

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Oh man I almost caved a lot of times... It was tough resisting because it seems like a much safer option, but ultimately I knew I'd just end up miserable. University is even worse than a job -- paying a fortune for someone to show you powerpoint slides, just to spend years in an office. I watched a few snapchats of people in my local universities (through that map thing they recently introduced) and almost threw up in my mouth. Sorry for the dramatics lol

well lucky for me I got financial aid to fully cover the costs of college, so I'm not in debt, at least I dodged 1 bullet lol

Gwenqou

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Aug 10, 2016
It was a few weeks after MJ planted a seed in my head.

I didn't realize that the system was rigged until I read FML during my Internship.

The book took me outside the box and made me SEE that everyday I would wake up, go to work, go home, have 2 hours free time and then go to sleep. The whole process repeats again the next day.

Kinda sad if I have to do that for the next 50 years. The book speaks the truth. I always want to do crazy and advantageous things such as travel around the world, skydiving and etc. Well, they ain't gonna happen during retirement. Thanks to MJ, I've been able to do these things as a result of entrepreneurship.

It took me several days to let the fastlane concept to sink in. But since then, the fastlane seed has been growing in my brain and it has now taken root.

What I've learn:

Maybe some of you get excited from reading the MJ's book and come onto the forum, but leave after a few days because the motivation wears off and you go back to your slowlane life.

Funny how the mind works, if you keep repeating the same idea in your head, It will stick eventually.

That's how I manipulate my mind to fully go from slowlane mindset to fastlane mindset. I was surrounded by a lot of slowlaners, and from time to time, fastlane mindset would wears off a little and the slowlane mindset would slowly kicks in. I would keep reading FML when I have free time. Eventually, you start to see everything around you with the fastlane perspective.

For example:
most people in college are in it for a job, but a job won't get you rich without sacrificing your time, especially time with the loved ones. Most of the time, a job's pay will have limited upside potential.

TV shows are such a big distraction. It takes away your brain's space to think and focus on the reality as well as focus on the important tasks at hand to change your life

Many people hates their jobs but can't get out because of that mansion and fancy sports car payments. They are trapped.

Once you switched to the fastlane mindset, you can't go back..ever.

Last edited:

mmcconnell1618

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Apr 2, 2014
Richmond, VA
Excellent story, glad to have you here.
Thanks MJ! The fact that you read and replied to my post on Christmas day is remarkable and lends serious credibility to your work. Thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.