The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When did you realize the system is rigged?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Sometimes I feel like my company sat on the committee to write The Script.

In many ways, I can defend the pharmaceutical industry in good faith. But there are days when I know thegood things we do don't outweigh the reality of it all.

I was so enamored by my job.

I was a rock star.

Walk into an office with Starbucks in one hand and a briefcase full of drugs in the other hand. Cute receptionists smiling big and waving at me. A nurse gives me a big hug and grabs her venti skinny soymilk late and calls me a life saver. I got my fat bonus check yesterday and on our morning conference call the regional director said I'm the one to go to for clinical knowledge.

Then I see the doctor, "Oh (insert name of drug), how about you go into this room and tell this patient who's dying why her prescription costs $1,200 a month"

All I can do is parrot back the party line, "blah blah insurance companies suck blah blah patient assistance program blah blah."

Suddenly, Im not a rock star. I'm the face of a company who makes a great drug for really sick people... and the price keeps going up every month.

And then I meet the husband of the patient and he tells you it's ok. Because he'll pay whatever he needs to to keep his wife alive. And then he tells me that none of the hospitals will put her on a transplant list because she's too sick.

And then my day just goes to shit.

Combine that with:
  • Your CEO testifying before congress then getting fired with a $30 million severance
  • Realizing that you're not getting paid for almost half the prescriptions you sold
  • Realizing you're not going to hit quota because you're not getting paid on half of the scripts you sold
  • Getting sold the dream of middle management only to be told you're not qualified when the position opens up
That's when I realized the system is rigged. And it sucks. And the only reason I go to work in the morning is because I can put 20% of that pay check towards my business.

When did you realize the system was rigged? More importantly, what did you do about it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
At my first job out of college, at an accounting firm, I overheard one of partners saying how great the engagement they just booked was. Our firm did some outsourcing, so we would send our employees to a client to work - sort of like a specialized staffing office.

The engagement they booked was something like $100 an hour for our bookkeeper to be there. We were paying the bookkeeper around $20. That meant the firm kept $80 an hour just for making the connection. $3,200 a week if it was full time.

When I heard that, I vowed to do what I needed to in order to get the experience to work on my own. Why would I want to give up that kind of money? I wanted to cut out the middleman and keep it for myself.

Yes, I'm still trading hours for dollars, but at a much higher rate right now. Next step will be to scale it.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
At my first job out of college, at an accounting firm, I overheard one of partners saying how great the engagement they just booked was. Our firm did some outsourcing, so we would send our employees to a client to work - sort of like a specialized staffing office.

The engagement they booked was something like $100 an hour for our bookkeeper to be there. We were paying the bookkeeper around $20. That meant the firm kept $80 an hour just for making the connection. $3,200 a week if it was full time.

When I heard that, I vowed to do what I needed to in order to get the experience to work on my own. Why would I want to give up that kind of money? I wanted to cut out the middleman and keep it for myself.

Yes, I'm still trading hours for dollars, but at a much higher rate right now. Next step will be to scale it.

This concept always blew my mind. When you have an agency sub contract out for a job. I remember when we got our drywall done in our house I couldn't wrap my head around this. The owner of the company simply dropped off the equipment and was never seen again. And his worker did 100% of the work. But I can guarantee you he didn't get 100% of the $4000 we paid for the work.

I guess that's what happens when you don't have an entrepreneurial mindset.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
This concept always blew my mind. When you have an agency sub contract out for a job. I remember when we got our drywall done in our house I couldn't wrap my head around this. The owner of the company simply dropped off the equipment and was never seen again. And his worker did 100% of the work. But I can guarantee you he didn't get 100% of the $4000 we paid for the work.

I guess that's what happens when you don't have an entrepreneurial mindset.
Some people are happy just to show up and get a steady paycheck. It's much easier.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I had the benefit of growing up poor and also being screwed one way or another at almost every job I ever held.

First company went bankrupt 3 months after hiring me.
Second company reduced commissions and salaries every year while making the hours crappier until they fired me to make an example out of me just before the company was purchased for a sum that gave all employees gigantic paydays that I was left out of.
Third company promised the world and delivered peanuts.
Fourth company laid me off 4 months after being hired because of lies an employee was telling to get ahead
Fifth company expanded my role, limited commissions, and ultimately did a company wide "temporary" salary rollback and told me I was one of the lucky ones who didn't lose as much as some other people did.

This is the abridged version. Needless to say, it wasn't a huge leap of faith to decide that something wasn't working.

Honestly, I feel really bad for the folks that haven't hit a landmine in life yet. They have no reason not to trust the system that hasn't failed them yet. It's a pleasant stroll through the field, carried by good fortune until something goes boom. And sadly for these folks after they hit their first mine they are so deep in the shit that they are woefully ill equipped to adapt to reality.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Some people are happy just to show up and get a steady paycheck. It's much easier.
It won't be once competition picks up, and you get stuck in a never-ending price war!
Besides most 'steady' paychecks just get swallowed by taxes, inflation and whatever even if you are frugal. I see it happen after I looked into cases in my country where parents were actually DRAINING their retirement accounts to fund their kids' education.

That's why accounting is like a doom-gloom subject to me. You just see darkness, shit and destruction once the numbers tell the story.

In many ways, I can defend the pharmaceutical industry in good faith. But there are days when I know thegood things we do don't outweigh the reality of it all.

I was a rock star.

Walk into an office with Starbucks in one hand and a briefcase full of drugs in the other hand. Cute receptionists smiling big and waving at me. A nurse gives me a big hug and grabs her venti skinny soymilk late and calls me a life saver. I got my fat bonus check yesterday and on our morning conference call the regional director said I'm the one to go to for clinical knowledge.

Then I see the doctor, "Oh (insert name of drug), how about you go into this room and tell this patient who's dying why her prescription costs $1,200 a month"

All I can do is parrot back the party line, "blah blah insurance companies suck blah blah patient assistance program blah blah."

Suddenly, Im not a rock star. I'm the face of a company who makes a great drug for really sick people... and the price keeps going up every month.

And then I meet the husband of the patient and he tells you it's ok. Because he'll pay whatever he needs to to keep his wife alive. And then he tells me that none of the hospitals will put her on a transplant list because she's too sick.

Combine that with:
  • Your CEO testifying before congress then getting fired with a $30 million severance
  • Realizing that you're not getting paid for almost half the prescriptions you sold
  • Realizing you're not going to hit quota because you're not getting paid on half of the scripts you sold
  • Getting sold the dream of middle management only to be told you're not qualified when the position opens up
That's when I realized the system is rigged. And it sucks. And the only reason I go to work in the morning is because I can put 20% of that pay check towards my business.

When did you realize the system was rigged? More importantly, what did you do about it?
On taking jobs, I would try my best not to take one even if its for earning extra dough for funding, gaining experience or finding Fastlane needs. The time costs and risks of SCRIPT indoctrination are just too dangerous to justify.

Thankfully, I didn't need to wait until I graduated and got a job to find out the system was rigged.

I just looked at my girl, whom I couldn't meet and might never meet for the next few months or years, because of her degree.I'm not against degrees, but if they lead to jobs that take even more of her time and potential, it's like a road to prison. I'm actually grateful that I could learn these things early before it's too late, but I wish I didn't have to learn it in such a painful and lonely way.

Then I realised that the SCRIPT not only tore friendships apart, but also families. My parents are self -employed folks but they are no better than Slowlaners as they have to be there to work or else, no cash, although they did very well to fend for me. I have a cousin who jumped into drugs because his dad was too busy at work (he did some sales and some business 'deals') and got SCRIPTED, his dad was going into funky investment schemes or edging near Sidewalk activities (gambling and hanging out with other Sidewalkers).

Furthermore, I have an aunt who is the most artistic person ever (she can quilt, make cakes, handicraft, tent making), but was stricken with dementia. Can't recognise me anymore when I visit her in the care center. Her motor skills also went to crap...she had a few bad falls, and the elderly don't recover as well as we do. I won't go into detail about the arrangements made by her children to take care of her...it was a messy quarrel, but the older one took it on himself to faithfully take her to appointments, follow up on medical doctors, visit her with whatever provisions. Mind you, they live in Penang, and although it's a good holiday place, it has bad jams and the roads are twisty as hell.

My aunt took care of me when I was a kid....I was not exactly in the pink of health to begin with....and she took care of pretty much most of the younger generation when they were babies and saw to it that they had a headstart in life. She kept the family alive, so to speak. And to get dementia for her efforts...it's rigged. The SCRIPT didn't cause it, it contributed to it. She was definitely not in a Fastlane venture to provide financial freedom in her younger days...she was divorced and struggled to be the breadwinner....

I could go on. But I think @MJ DeMarco was very right in the sense that one of the main wealth elements is family....

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I realised pretty early. At school in fact. I was always a straight A student so everyone, teachers, parents, friends were expecting me to follow the good grades > good degree > good job route.

But my brain just wasn't wired that way. I can't pin point who the influencer was (nobody in my circle of influence was entrepreneurial) but it just didn't sit right with me. I knew a good job wouldn't get me where I wanted to be. I really do wish I knew who to thank, because I seemed aware of the SCRIPT at about 14 years old.

When I told people I wouldn't go to uni/college one teacher even told me it was a "waste of my intelligence" . Luckily my parents were supportive of the decision, although it still didn't sit well with them (upstanding slowlaners).

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

I was a rock star.

Combine that with:

Keep in mind that the overall profit margin for most large drug companies is 15-20%. So...on average, the most that drug company could discount that $1,200/month prescription for and still break even is $960 a month. Sure, their gross margin for that particular drug is probably sky high, but that isn't the only consideration when looking at the company as a whole. They have insane levels of costs in other areas. (R&D, for example) And, that $30m severance package? Even if you took it completely off the table, you might get down to $959/month.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Keep in mind that the overall profit margin for most large drug companies is 15-20%. So...on average, the most that drug company could discount that $1,200/month prescription for and still break even is $960 a month. Sure, their gross margin for that particular drug is probably sky high, but that isn't the only consideration when looking at the company as a whole. They have insane levels of costs in other areas. (R&D, for example) And, that $30m severance package? Even if you took it completely off the table, you might get down to $959/month.

Oh no trust me, I get that and I get how margins work in my industry. But it still doesn't make it easy when a doctor guilts you with dying patients.

And our former CEO belongs in prison, but that's a different story for a different day.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Oh no trust me, I get that and I get how margins work in my industry. But it still doesn't make it easy when a doctor guilts you with dying patients.

And our former CEO belongs in prison, but that's a different story for a different day.
That would be the volunteer doctor healing people for free?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
That would be the volunteer doctor healing people for free?

As the husband of a veterinarian I definitely get that too.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I guess I should clarify andsay that the bullet points at the end are the real issues FTE's but the above part doesn't help me cope.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When did you realize the system was rigged?

About my 4th year in college... had a ton of debt, but felt no better prepared to provide value to the world.

It was then I knew I would graduate as a debt serf and my college would award me a piece of paper and say "Congrats! Now go get 'em kid!"

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
When I would send a piece of paper out to 100 businesses and have 100 of them tell me I wasn't good enough. At least that's how it made me feel. It wrecked me. Looking for a job with a resume was and is probably one of the worst things someone has to deal with. I still can't wrap my mind around it.

I've never had to work a corporate job so hearing all the horror stories scares me. I don't even know if I can work in an environment like that now. I've mentioned what I do in other threads and I get paid well for what I do (and don't do). The benefits put you square in the center of the comfort zone. I struggle with the idea that I might have to give that up some day, but I also can't see myself doing it for another 21 years. I'm afraid that 21 years from now I'll still be feeling the same way -- annoyed with the job, mentally drained all the time, and not feeling fulfilled. I'm comfortable, but not satisfied. As much as I feel those ways, the only outcome I see is building a business that replaces the income I make so I can work for myself. I can't imagine a scenario where I take a major pay cut to work in the corporate world. I've been getting impatient because I'm not making progress.

Maybe it's all a blessing in disguise. I'm working on it.

BlakeRVA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Aug 24, 2015
When I was in college I began coaching young kids and was paid $10/hour.

Shortly after graduating, I moved to a new city and began running my own coaching program.

At first, I had no idea how I would get customers. I figured I would talk to the few people I knew and post on a local community app. Nevertheless, I moved forward.

I'll never forget the first email I got asking "How much do you charge?"

I wasn't sure what to say because I was so used to other people telling me how much I was worth. I calculated how much my previous employer was charging and decided to ask for half. Even though I knew that parents had gladly paid me twice what I was asking for, I still felt a sense of self doubt and immediately started justifying my price and even offered to reduce it if necessary.

Yet nobody complained about the price. My income had magically increased eight-fold doing the exact same work I had done before. And people even told me I was cheap.

This event has been a defining moment in my life. I've read for years books about entrepreneurship, self-employment, and financial independence, but I had never actually experienced it. This was my first taste of freedom. And man does it taste good!

I'm still working towards making my way out of the employee world, but this experience has instilled in me a sense of confidence that I can make the shift to an UNSCRIPTED life. I am running my program again this year and charging even more with a backlog of eager customers. I'm paying off student loans, saving money, and working on building something even bigger.

Moral of the story: YES! you really can keep for yourself all the money your employer is making off your hard work.

Tilos

Process > Results
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 11, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
When I finally obtained my Masters Degree in Management and Leadership.

I thought that getting a higher education equated to six figures in the corporate world.

I was sadly mistaken and thought, "there's a gotta be a better way..."

That's when I started reading more business/entrepreneur books and knew that it's providing value and using leverage.

The system says get your PMP Cert and it will increase $10K to your income. Bull. I knew that time was the most important asset I needed. Opportunity costs needed to be evaluated closely.

Yeah, now I see why the system is broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
On taking jobs, I would try my best not to take one even if its for earning extra dough for funding, gaining experience or finding Fastlane needs. The time costs and risks of SCRIPT indoctrination are just too dangerous to justify.

Thankfully, I didn't need to wait until I graduated and got a job to find out the system was rigged.

I totally agree here. This is a dilemma for many of us who had to start over. I have observed how this happens and it is definitely insidious.

It requires massive vigilance because the minute you step into where the crowd congregates, all arrows are pointing on you, poised to own your mind, your time and your soul. Lol

It's actually really funny because it is definitely an illusion. A trap. And the fact that everybody hates it and everybody wants to get out of it, all the while wanting the very same things WE want.

And YET VERY FEW OF US have the guts to say F*ck you to everyone else.

This post just upped my bravery level 1000%.

We often need to be reminded more than instructed.

This is MY TIME and YOUR time we're talking about here.

Time is life. We all want to spend it the best way we can.

And now that we can NEVER go back to that myopic viewpoint of life,

It's ON US. We owe it first, to ourselves, then to our confused brethren.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
May 27, 2013
United States

When you look to scale, won't you basically be trying to do this:

So do you think the system is rigged? Or do you just want to be the one rigging it?

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
677%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
About 6 months ago when I met a mutual friend who happened to tell me she had her own web design company that she started after college. She then began describing how she worked maybe 10-15 hours a week and made 6 figures consistently each year. She had a gorgeous apartment (that she owned) and went on vacations whenever she felt like it.

Comparing that lifestyle to my current one (toxic work environment, shitty boss, bad hours, soul-crushing repetition) I felt like I was getting ripped off and it led me to seek out ways to break the cycle - fortunately it led me to this forum / MJ's books.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria

Experience one: "One of these mornings."

I had one of these moments when I was 14 and took one of my first internships over the summer.

I finished my year at high school and then got all excited the next Monday, when I entered the office at 7:30, ready to tear the world apart.

Well, a few weeks later, I didn't get it anymore.

I thought school was bad.

But this?

Getting up at 6:30 every morning to be at the office and start work at 7:30?

Gulping down lunch in around 10 minutes, because 10 minutes was spent walking to the fast food joint and 10 minutes was spent walking back?

Healthy food? Ha!

Then buzzing away in the afternoon until 5:30?

Having colleagues who just gossip?

And the list goes on and on and on...

After finishing my internship I was like: "Oh. My. God. How can somebody live through that for 40 years? I need to think of something before I finish high school."

------

Experience 02: "The world is waiting for you?"

Finishing high school with a grade average as good as it gets, I felt like the king leaving school.

"Harvard's going to call!" I thought.

Well, Harvard didn't call.

"McKenzie is going to call!" I thought.

Well, McKenzie didn't call.

Actually, nobody called.

Nobody cared.

So I went to university.

And this is where script-sh*t got real.

------

Experience 03: "We see huge potential in you."

After dabbling away at freelancing a few years back, I decided to get a REAL job.

Because hey, that's what people do, right?

So I applied for a "normal" job at an advertising agency and 3 weeks later, I started.

After my first month, I was called to the CEO's office.

"We are very impressed with you. We see huge potential in you. Just keep on going..."

I was well aware of the script back then, so I couldn't really be happy about this.

But somebody gotta pay the bills, all right?

Fast forward 1,5 years and raising through the ranks, I was promised a pay-raise when days were less hectic.

Well, it never came to that.

I was in a leading position, getting the paycheck of a student starting out.

The CEO ignored my emails for 6 weeks and avoided my attempts to talk to him in person.

Enough was enough.

I cut the rope.

------

Experience 04: "That's just the way it is."

Just yesterday I had a networking/collaboration meeting with two people in my industry.

They have been doing this for 6 and 13 years.

They still struggle to pay bills.

"This industry just sucks."

"Well, I wasn't born to have a better life."

Trying to suggest something productive, I was thinking of things that work for me.

"Nah, this is not how you do things." was the answer.

Uhm, really?

Thanks, but no thanks!

------

The script is EVERYWHERE.

We are being indoctrinated at all stages through our lives, via numerous channels.

The force is strong.

We are stronger.

Let's unsubscribe!

Let's unsubscribe from the plans somebody else made for us.

Let's unsubscribe from what the system has in place for us.

Let's unsubscribe from mental fogginess.

Let's unsubscribe from being a victim.

Let's subscribe to a life full of action and freedom.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
So do you think the system is rigged? Or do you just want to be the one rigging it?

We have to be accurate man. Entrepreneurs provide value, that's why we attract much more than those who do not.

The SCRIPTED often think that those who "make lots of money" take advantage of the mob. They don't understand that we all have a choice because they have blinders. They don't understand that the money that comes to you is attracted by and is perpendicular to the amount of value that you put out. And many hate that because it subtly reminds them that they are NOT providing any value.

It's a choice we all make. Deep down, they know that it's their responsibility whatever their situation might be, and yet continue the game of denial.

We on the other hand, faces our own demons. And in the process, beats them one by one, which grants us some sort of "superpower".

Something the SCRIPTED can only dream of and believe to be impossible.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
"It never ceases to surprise me at the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." - Thomas Raynesford Lounsbury

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania

We have to be accurate man. Entrepreneurs provide value, that's why we attract much more than those who do not.
I would hope my clients see the value in what I do. That's why I do my best to not charge by the hour. I try to charge based on the value I provide to my client. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose, but in the end if the client felt they were getting what they paid for, then I did my job.

Even if I scale, I still want to make sure the value is there for my client. Is hiring a generic employee really worth that markup in my example? Maybe in that situation it was, but it seemed like the firm I was working with was just drug down the value of the transaction by trying to extract as much money as they could out of it.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
This is sort of like the FTE thread but I first realized the system was rigged when I started university. I couldn't believe that the classes I had to take in college were exactly like the ones in high school.

I said, "I'm out!"

I wasn't about to drop 4 grand on material I could easily learn on Wikipedia + Google.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I recognised the system was rigged:

1. When I had a job and every single morning while driving to work, the west-bound lane of traffic (which heads in the direction of the city) was laden with traffic, no matter how early I left home, I was guaranteed a jam, while the east-bound lane (which I like to say where the beaches are directed) the lanes were free and easy to get by - (lol, there were businesses/jobs in that direction too, but, the beaches are more that way.)

2. When the government of our country and during every single election (to date) would keep speaking about how they are creating jobs and that 'we the people can "rely on them" for employment.' They'd barely ever speak about creating business opportunities, because of the fear that people would gain some sense of independence and no longer "rely on them" as their slave-masters.

3. Whenever I had conversations wih my dad about owning my successful businesses, and because going into business for my generation is fearly a new thing (about within the past decade) and he often questioned why would I want to take such a huge risk, when I already had a great-paying, secure job.

4. When at a point I used to go to church, often times the message would always be to rely on 'someone else' to provide for me, because well, maybe I, as an individual would forever be incapable of going the extra mile in providing for myself.

5. When I spoke with some people about out-of-this-world, superb ideas and for the life of them they can't seem to fathom it, even if they apply their imagination, simply because the programming to thinking myopically is so thickly ingrained into us. Used to think I was weird, but then I overstood how and why.

This is when I began taking note and moving to the beat of my own rhythm. I recognised the system is rigged.

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Funny, my "realization" came after I watched the documentary series Zeitgeist.

It showed how the money system works with debt, and that debt is what keeping people aslave.

But the movies were actually very darky, because a lot of conspiracy theory was discussed in that movie. So that resulted in a very negative view of the world for me.

It took me several years before I could see that there were positive aspects about "the system" as well, like entrepreneurship/ownership.

As a young kid, I always dreamed about being an entrepreuneur. And I never gave up on that dream.

I always KNEW some people were doing things different, so they got paid in a different way.

For example, I've worked closely with an entrepreneur of about my same age. I was making sales calls for his company, but he collected the money.

If a cliënt pays $600 for a website (what everyone could do), and my comission was $100, then that $500 must go somehow to someone else's pocket, including his. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense for him to hire me.

When I was young, my family took me on trips and vacations to Asia many times. In that way I could see the difference between a person who got paid less money for doing the same amount of work.

The world is not equal. It is only in balance.

So I made the decision at a very young age, to go find the right side of "the balance".

And many people along the way, including @MJ DeMarco (thanks for his book TMF ) helped me see this path more clearly.

I just didn't wanted to be a slave of "the system".

So I made the decision to fight for freedom, no matter what would happen.

It all started with this one little tiny decision...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Essentially college teaches you how to attract someone who can feed you. (Job)

Entrepreneurship teaches you how to become someone who can feed himself. (Business)

Experience one: "One of these mornings."

I had one of these moments when I was 14 and took one of my first internships over the summer.

I finished my year at high school and then got all excited the next Monday, when I entered the office at 7:30, ready to tear the world apart.

Well, a few weeks later, I didn't get it anymore.

I thought school was bad.

But this?

Getting up at 6:30 every morning to be at the office and start work at 7:30?

Gulping down lunch in around 10 minutes, because 10 minutes was spent walking to the fast food joint and 10 minutes was spent walking back?

Healthy food? Ha!

Then buzzing away in the afternoon until 5:30?

Having colleagues who just gossip?

And the list goes on and on and on...

After finishing my internship I was like: "Oh. My. God. How can somebody live through that for 40 years? I need to think of something before I finish high school."

------

Experience 02: "The world is waiting for you?"

Finishing high school with a grade average as good as it gets, I felt like the king leaving school.

"Harvard's going to call!" I thought.

Well, Harvard didn't call.

"McKenzie is going to call!" I thought.

Well, McKenzie didn't call.

Actually, nobody called.

Nobody cared.

So I went to university.

And this is where script-sh*t got real.

------

Experience 03: "We see huge potential in you."

After dabbling away at freelancing a few years back, I decided to get a REAL job.

Because hey, that's what people do, right?

So I applied for a "normal" job at an advertising agency and 3 weeks later, I started.

After my first month, I was called to the CEO's office.

"We are very impressed with you. We see huge potential in you. Just keep on going..."

I was well aware of the script back then, so I couldn't really be happy about this.

But somebody gotta pay the bills, all right?

Fast forward 1,5 years and raising through the ranks, I was promised a pay-raise when days were less hectic.

Well, it never came to that.

I was in a leading position, getting the paycheck of a student starting out.

The CEO ignored my emails for 6 weeks and avoided my attempts to talk to him in person.

Enough was enough.

I cut the rope.

------

Experience 04: "That's just the way it is."

Just yesterday I had a networking/collaboration meeting with two people in my industry.

They have been doing this for 6 and 13 years.

They still struggle to pay bills.

"This industry just sucks."

"Well, I wasn't born to have a better life."

Trying to suggest something productive, I was thinking of things that work for me.

"Nah, this is not how you do things." was the answer.

Uhm, really?

Thanks, but no thanks!

------

The script is EVERYWHERE.

We are being indoctrinated at all stages through our lives, via numerous channels.

The force is strong.

We are stronger.

Let's unsubscribe!

Let's unsubscribe from the plans somebody else made for us.

Let's unsubscribe from what the system has in place for us.

Let's unsubscribe from mental fogginess.

Let's unsubscribe from being a victim.

Let's subscribe to a life full of action and freedom.

Rep+

1. When I had a job and every single morning while driving to work, the west-bound lane of traffic (which heads in the direction of the city) was laden with traffic, no matter how early I left home, I was guaranteed a jam, while the east-bound lane (which I like to say where the beaches are directed) the lanes were free and easy to get by - (lol, there were businesses/jobs in that direction too, but, the beaches are more that way.)

That describes a lot of cities here in the US. The roads into the city are jammed -- the roads out are free flowing.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
That describes a lot of cities here in the US. The roads into the city are jammed -- the roads out are free flowing.

And in every car there's a head pointed down already self-medicating on a smartphone by 8 am.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
I've always had a gut feeling that the system was rigged since teenager. It has evolved since then but I always questioned the work life relationship and how people could blindly work everyday doing things they hated. My initial thoughts were the typical money making ventures and activities that originated from things I liked doing. Such as cartoon drawing, writing, selling sports cards, music, etc.

Of course as I got older and needed money I was forced into many jobs in service industries but still pursued my hobbies as potential career paths. When it comes to the arts you have to be insanely talented which I wasn't.

Then I found online poker which i gravitated to because I could set my own hours, make decent money, and I enjoyed playing (usually). It was kind of the perfect setup for me but it did have its swings since you will still lose no matter how good you are. I lived off poker for a couple years making anywhere from 2-10k a month. Then of course it got banned and there went that. I'm actually kind of glad it got banned in some ways because it consumed my focus and I would have never gotten to the position I'm in now.

When poker went down I took a job at Walmart to pay the bills. At the same time I got into becoming an online freelancer and writing website content. This paid 2-3k a month once I got rolling.

At the same time I pursued other activities. It was around that time I joined this forum. I participated briefly while I worked on creating websites with a partner which didn't last long. At the same time I was applying for jobs on elance all the time. One job came along that changed my life. It was posted and said make 20k a month and so I applied thinking ya right but what's to lose. I then spent time talking to the guy who posted it and he liked me and hired me. He ran an SEO company. Long story short he started paying me 5k a month and it's grown from there till today into a lucrative business for me.

I now make decent money every month doing something I have become an expert in. I work when I want and I outsource most of the work. I work from home and always have. I now have time and money to pursue big business ideas that I own and can grow using the knowledge and skills I have acquired from my marketing gig.

So in conclusion, no matter where you're at in life...keep trying. Most people would consider me successful even though I dropped out of high school and college and worked shitty jobs throughout my 20s. I know I still have a long way to go and security is never guaranteed. Don't let the system run your life. Always work on things that can improve your situation and give you the control, time and money to live the life you want. It's a journey with many ups and downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.