The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Whats a service business worth

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
I have a business installing cabinets. I am just a 1 man show doing about $130k in revenue annually for about the last 10 years. This has allowed a good life but basically I have a job.

Now after reading FLM and Unscripted I have seen the light. But what do I do now? I have a couple of options that I have questions about. There are a couple of ways I could go about creating a sellable asset.

My questions
1. Is a 1 man show worth anything? The accounts I have any really based on my skill and my relationship with my customers. I don't think I could sell that. $130k revenue

2. I could add 5 -6 employees and get the business to the point where the new owner would only need to be the manager. Making it more appealing to buyers. $360k Revenue
I know this is not easy but doable. The idea would be to just build the business for sale. There is a lot of manageable risk but I have been in this industry for 18 yrs. and know how to get the customers required to make it work. just not excited about having a $30,00 monthly payroll and being responsible for 6 people's lives. Their livelihood is what scares me the most as I always feel very responsible for the people I work with.

3. Abandon my 18 years experience to start a physical product based business from invented items I have created. They are related to the construction industry. I just hate to waste all my years of experience but I am getting to old, 48, to keep doing the physical labor. I would keep doing the cabinet installation business for living expenses and capital to get the new business going.

4. What kind of multiple could I be looking at for option # 1 and 2.

All businesses are being created to create a sellable asset to accelerate my money system.

Thank you for any and all advice. I look forward to hearing from everyone. Please ask questions if I am not making sense.

Jake

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Do you have a marketing system in place? If so, you can probably sell the business to the right buyer. If not, you'll need to build one to do option 2 anyways, right?

Multiple of 2-3 cashflow as a ballpark. But it'll depend on the other assets of the business too. Try calling a local business broker and having a chat.

If I were you, I'd probably opt for 3. Work it as long as you need to fund the other business. What if you sell tomorrow, but your next 5 product ideas tank? And if you're building this up, you're delaying the next business from getting your time, and that is where you want to be. So option 3. Then you can always do option 1 once you have the new biz up and running.

arl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 16, 2019
It looks like you have a sweet gig. I would start by hiring one person, teach him to do your job, and you focus on growing the business client base. Or if you are not really a sales guy, hire a first a sales/ marketing guy to grow the business for you.

Either way it seems like you have potential to grow the business.

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
It looks like you have a sweet gig. I would start by hiring one person, teach him to do your job, and you focus on growing the business client base. Or if you are not really a sales guy, hire a first a sales/ marketing guy to grow the business for you.

Either way it seems like you have potential to grow the business.

I can easily grow the business. My end game is not a big business. I am looking for an exit.

My biggest issue is: Would the installation business be worth a large enough multiple to be worth building for the next few years? There are significant hurdles and a lot of stress involved in building a company like this.

Or just keep doing how I am now and build my Physical product business. It will take significantly less capital, fewer employees, and is easier to change direction as the market mind speaks. All the skills learned can be used to start other brands in the future.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
Can you employ someone to do most of what you do, freeing up time to work on your products business?

When the products business is standing on it's own feet you can then either shut down the first business, or add in a manager and exit quickly for a smaller amount.

Best of both worlds?

Either way you should document everything you do, create processes and procedures even if it's just you as this will significantly help with any exit.

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 30, 2019
Disclaimer: I am no where near as successful as you are in, essentially, a highly profitable side hustle. However, that does not mean the wisdom I gained from others and learn from experience will all be entirely useless to you - at least, I hope not.

Firstly, it seems to me that your attitude is not conducive to being an entrepreneur. Right now, from your posts, it sounds like you are all about "me, me, me". When it is about "me first, customers second", you are essentially telling the audience/market/customers you serve that "I do not give a damn about you.".

I may be wrong. Please correct me if I am. If I am right, this does not mean you're a bad person or entrepreneur. It just means you're burn out in your field, and you either need to find make reasons to continue happily serving your current market, or going into something completely different.

Secondly, always follow the principles of CENTS. Your business can only be an "exit" when it cannot be easily destroyed, difficult to replicate by others, meet market demands, separated from your time, and can be scaled either in terms of sales/cost and/or having an entreprise like a franchise.

With that consider, if I were you, I would leaverage my knowledge, expertise, and network by focusing on "how can I help my customers life be better?".

Would creating a business that provides these novel products help their lives be better?

Would hiring a bunch of employees to continue providing these services that I only have been doing myself, but better, more efficient, and whatnot, help my customers' lives be better?

I hope you see a trend with my perspective. Focus on helping your customers first, and keep your own self interests secondary at all time. Therein, you will find the answer to your question regarding your next step.

I, myself, cannot tell you what the next step is. I am not a business consultant. I, however, can tell you that I care about you, and genuinely want you to succeed. You can leave a wonderful impact and legacy on the world with your own uniqueness. Your own version of CENTS, entrepreneurial successes, and paths, therefore, will be unique too.

Best wishes.

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
Disclaimer: I am no where near as successful as you are in, essentially, a highly profitable side hustle. However, that does not mean the wisdom I gained from others and learn from experience will all be entirely useless to you - at least, I hope not.

Firstly, it seems to me that your attitude is not conducive to being an entrepreneur. Right now, from your posts, it sounds like you are all about "me, me, me". When it is about "me first, customers second", you are essentially telling the audience/market/customers you serve that "I do not give a damn about you.".

I may be wrong. Please correct me if I am. If I am right, this does not mean you're a bad person or entrepreneur. It just means you're burn out in your field, and you either need to find make reasons to continue happily serving your current market, or going into something completely different.

Secondly, always follow the principles of CENTS. Your business can only be an "exit" when it cannot be easily destroyed, difficult to replicate by others, meet market demands, separated from your time, and can be scaled either in terms of sales/cost and/or having an entreprise like a franchise.

With that consider, if I were you, I would leaverage my knowledge, expertise, and network by focusing on "how can I help my customers life be better?".

Would creating a business that provides these novel products help their lives be better?

Would hiring a bunch of employees to continue providing these services that I only have been doing myself, but better, more efficient, and whatnot, help my customers' lives be better?

I hope you see a trend with my perspective. Focus on helping your customers first, and keep your own self interests secondary at all time. Therein, you will find the answer to your question regarding your next step.

I, myself, cannot tell you what the next step is. I am not a business consultant. I, however, can tell you that I care about you, and genuinely want you to succeed. You can leave a wonderful impact and legacy on the world with your own uniqueness. Your own version of CENTS, entrepreneurial successes, and paths, therefore, will be unique too.

Best wishes.

@NursingTn . I understand what you are saying. And although my post comes across self-centered, I do care about my customers and future employees. Employee livelihood has always been what keeps me from hiring. A lot of people in the industry just hire and then lay off employees. I never felt good about that so I never went that route instead was content on just working by myself.

Both businesses make others lives better.

My cabinet installation business helps shops get there products installed and makes customers very happy and can move into there home. It is very fulfilling.

My physical products business would not necessarily provide joy and life fulfillment but would provide unique tools that will save hours of work and help carpenters achieve a better end result in a shorter amount of time. Therefore having more time for them to follow their dreams and spend more time with friends and family.

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
Can you employ someone to do most of what you do, freeing up time to work on your products business?

When the products business is standing on it's own feet you can then either shut down the first business, or add in a manager and exit quickly for a smaller amount.

Best of both worlds?

Either way you should document everything you do, create processes and procedures even if it's just you as this will significantly help with any exit.

Yes, I could hire a person. But to free up some time I would need about 3 people. As the going rate, $45 per hour, for skilled labor in my trade would not leave enough profit from just 1 person, I would still need to work daily. So then I would have a lot of management and time creating scheduling and finding jobs that it would not free up anytime.

At that point, I would just need to focus on the installation business.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Yes, I could hire a person. But to free up some time I would need about 3 people. As the going rate, $45 per hour, for skilled labor in my trade would not leave enough profit from just 1 person, I would still need to work daily. So then I would have a lot of management and time creating scheduling and finding jobs that it would not free up anytime.

Sounds like your first hire should be a marketer... If you decide to go that route. Build a sales generation engine, build a process(es), and you'll have something to sell.

Right now, you're just selling a "job".

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
The fact that your enterprise can be replicated and is very profitable does seem to make it suitable for scaling by franchising.

The service industry is full of one-person franchises. If you can sell one franchise and guide that franchisee to success, you will be able to sell more. You will then have a very saleable business, much more valuable than your one man operation.
This is an essential part of preparing to set up a franchise system.

Walter

Swift

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
May 10, 2019
USA
I have a business installing cabinets. I am just a 1 man show doing about $130k in revenue annually for about the last 10 years. This has allowed a good life but basically I have a job.

Now after reading FLM and Unscripted I have seen the light. But what do I do now? I have a couple of options that I have questions about. There are a couple of ways I could go about creating a sellable asset.

My questions
1. Is a 1 man show worth anything? The accounts I have any really based on my skill and my relationship with my customers. I don't think I could sell that. $130k revenue

2. I could add 5 -6 employees and get the business to the point where the new owner would only need to be the manager. Making it more appealing to buyers. $360k Revenue
I know this is not easy but doable. The idea would be to just build the business for sale. There is a lot of manageable risk but I have been in this industry for 18 yrs. and know how to get the customers required to make it work. just not excited about having a $30,00 monthly payroll and being responsible for 6 people's lives. Their livelihood is what scares me the most as I always feel very responsible for the people I work with.

3. Abandon my 18 years experience to start a physical product based business from invented items I have created. They are related to the construction industry. I just hate to waste all my years of experience but I am getting to old, 48, to keep doing the physical labor. I would keep doing the cabinet installation business for living expenses and capital to get the new business going.

All businesses are being created to create a sellable asset to accelerate my money system.

Thank you for any and all advice. I look forward to hearing from everyone. Please ask questions if I am not making sense.

Jake
Read the book "Built to sell"

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest

Not at first. But, hiring one person would let you see how well you were able to train someone and instill the same level of quality so as to preserve the value of your brand even without your direct participation. And, with both of you working it would increase your profits somewhat, to allow you to build in a bit more buffer to take the next step.

I'm in a very different type of business, but grew up in a construction family and the idea of jumping from a one-man show to six employees set off big alarm bells for me. If you're considering going that route, I would definitely do it incrementally. The risk to you, to your reputation, and to your employee(s) is much smaller while still moving you along that path to possible sale. Or, to having a sales person and several installers and being a very hands-off owner.

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
The fact that your enterprise can be replicated and is very profitable does seem to make it suitable for scaling by franchising.

The service industry is full of one-person franchises. If you can sell one franchise and guide that franchisee to success, you will be able to sell more. You will then have a very saleable business, much more valuable than your one man operation.

Now this is interesting. Never thought about Franchising. I was thinking about building a business and then selling it and then moving to another state and repeating it. But maybe the franchising model would be an option too.

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
@GigMistress

I have trained a couple of people to do what I do with great success.

The plan would be to start with 1 or 2 people and build it as work picks up. Adding to many people at once is one of my concerns too. What I do is very skilled labor and it takes a special person to do a quality job. I have met a lot of people over the years that are carpenters and don't do a very good job.

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
Sounds like your first hire should be a marketer... If you decide to go that route. Build a sales generation engine, build a process(es), and you'll have something to sell.

Right now, you're just selling a "job".

I agree with I am just selling a job. That is why I need to make some changes to the structure.

I don't think marketing is an issue. The business model is B2B so customers are not hard to find.

Aussie Dan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Dec 16, 2019
Bunbury WA

My questions

Jake
Hi Jake,

EDIT: *Why would someone with no experience in cabinetry want to buy your business? How can you transform it into a saleable, time-divorced asset for a prospective buyer? Are there written systems (like a policies and procedures manual) already in place to allow you to employ tradies and a manager to become hands-off?

Otherwise, you're trying to sell someone else (who's already a cabinet maker) a job.

Try to think of it like a franchise which can be replicated hundreds or thousands of times.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
Funny to come across this question right now... I literally just finished recording a podcast with a well-known business broker, and we talked about the feasibility of "selling a job" like you have.

The interesting thing is that he said ABSOLUTELY YES

That's good to hear. I will definitely look for that podcast. What's the name of your show? Can you post a link? I use google podcast. Thanks

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego

Lion Identity

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Sep 19, 2019

My questions

Jake
Read the book, "built to sell" it covers this well.

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
Just finished " Built to sell". It's a great book. Short and to the point. I definitely recommend everyone looking to build or sell a services business. That includes SaaS and labor style businesses. But that is of course after FLM and Unscripted .

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Installing cabinets seems like a very scalable business. I've installed cabinets in while kitchens by myself many times as I'm sure you have. Some of the local cabinetmakers have a 1 or 2 man team that does all the installs.

Have you considered looking to sell it to another construction company?

As a general contractor in remodelinf I'm always looking for ways to add revenue without too much overhead. If someone came to me with a well-run cabinet installation business that had a solid marketing and sales system that consistently turned out new customers, a vehicle, tools, and maybe even a good employee or two, it wouldn't be too much to absorb the other responsibilities into the business and have a new department that was profitable on its own and integrated well into the rest of the business.

Have you thought of contacting local GCs and asking if they would consider buying, and if so, what they would want to see for it to be worth it to them?

Another question is where do the jobs come from? Are you an independent contractor with Lowe's, Home Depot, or working with other local cabinet shops? Would they keep those contracts if you left the business?

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Sell course on how to make $130k revenue for 10 years as a self-employed

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Funny to come across this question right now... I literally just finished recording a podcast with a well-known business broker, and we talked about the feasibility of "selling a job" like you have.

The interesting thing is that he said ABSOLUTELY YES it's possible to sell a business where you are the business and where the new owner would need to work it as a job in order to generate income. There are plenty of people out there who want to escape the life of working for someone else, but don't necessary want to grow a business with employees -- in other words, they'd be happy to have a job where they are their own boss.

There are a couple keys though:

1. You're buyer pool is going to be smaller (again, just people looking to buy a job);
2. You'll probably sell for a lower multiple than a business that is turn-key;
3. You either need to find someone with the skills you have (so they can take over the business) or you'll need to create some systems and processes that will allow them to come in, learn the business quickly and then take over within the span of a few weeks/months.

Long story short, you should talk to a local business broker about your valuation, and then either list it with a broker or try listing it publicly on a site like bizbuysell.com or businessesforsale.com.

The podcast episode will release next Tuesday...I'll try to remember to come back and post it (or feel free to mention me and remind me)...

If you sell, your buyer pool will be smaller and that buyer pool is probably not going to have much cash laying around so you might have to do an owner finance. That's how I sold all of my cleaning businesses (except 1 I think). You must be strict about payment from the start and tell them you will be. And don't be afraid to show up 1 morning and tell them to hit the road if they miss a payment. I know you might not be serious about taking it back over but if you show up like that it will scare them in to at least trying to pay you. I had to do a repo a few times because of non-payment. Your worst case scenario if you did this is and they don't pay..... you give someone a business. Also, if you go this route of selling, do not tell them what you will be doing in the future because they might see you won't actually have time to take it back over. Keep them in the dark. In your best behalf, you could either make them 1/2 owner (not sure how much you like risk) until they get it paid off or you could work closely with them to make sure they have work coming in. I mean, after taxes what do you have coming in.... $90k? So you can't make the payment too high. You have to leave them plenty of breathing room so they stay happy.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Sell contracts/leads off to another businesses nearby and settle for the highest bidder.

You probably have an exit worth 25k. Maybe. Who's going to buy your business outright? People with a few hundred thousand to spend don't do that in your industry usually. It's still worth a shot though. But I wouldn't expect it whatsoever.

Service businesses (like mine) are not made for exiting like other businesses are. It's not getting bought by facebook for a billion dollars in the next couple years... And I doubt an IPO is coming soon. However, they print money quickly, especially if you're smart.

hawktoy85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
Sell course on how to make $130k revenue for 10 years as a self-employed

That is what I am doing with a guy that works for me now. But it takes a special person to be a good cabinet installer. I have seen a lot of people try and a lot, even after years in the trade, just never get very good.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.