The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

what you love ?

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
Whats that old saying do what you love for a living ? well what ever it is how many of you make money doing what you love just curious if this really works ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Chris-

My motto:

Life is too short to work with Jerks.

And I believe the phrase you refer to in your post is:

"Do what you love;
The money will follow"

Which has pretty much described my adult life (since I dropped out of med school 25 years ago). :)

-Russ H.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Here's the deal.
You can make money in any industry.
Heck, there are still people making money off of vinyl records
(big money, actually).

So you might as well start with what you love,
what you're interested in,
'cause that is usually what you also have expertise in.

Then figure out a way to make it pay.
(Hint: Its usually NOT by doing what everyone else is)

: )

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Why would you do something you hate? Passion for what you are doing will carry you through the down times.

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
well I do something I hate everyday the reason why feed my wife and 1 1/2 month old son god do I hate it. lol, There are so many thing I would like to do but if i don't make it, its not only me anymore who doesn't eat so what do you do work the job you hate. I should have done something along time ago for some reason I always talk myself out of it.

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this I just need to vent I feel like such a loser 29 making 35k a year Monday-Friday occasional weekend my wife went back to work last weekend she had our first child Aug 9th she's so depressed because she has to leave him she says its my fault that I should have done something sooner she works sat-sun two 12's so I work all week baby sit weekends I just feel like somethings got to change its so stressful and I'm lost don't know what I want to do my minds doing 90 from this to that I do know I want to work for myself I get so tired of all the drama of the working world wondering what kind of mood your boss is in walking on pens and needles doing stuff that just makes no sense and a waste of money oh well thanks for the vent. don't get me wrong I love my wife she's right that's what makes me feel so depressed

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Whoa, slow down there! Let's back it up a bit. First, I :eusa_clap: you for putting the needs of your family above your own happiness. To me that is a real man. If you and your wife have decided that it is more important for her to be home with the baby, arrange things to make it that way. If she is working weekends to make ends meet, your ends must be close to being met if that financial gap can be bridged with 24 hours of work. Making it work may mean more discomfort, but that's what happens when you prioritize. You are not a loser. You are far from it. If you are stuck in a job you hate, find something about it that you like. Remember, no one starts off at the finish line. Hang in there. You have my respect. :smx9:

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I think that the answer is to find out what you do love, and go do it. Read some of the "my story" posts and you'll see that some of the most successful people on this site have been through hell and back, but are now doing stuff that they love. And that it was passion for what they loved that has brought them success. Having a kid is an awesome thing, really drives you.

My wife and I are making changes in our lives right now so that we will be able to do the stuff that we love. For me it's about being independent. I actally don't care what I do so long as I don't have to answer to anyone else (except my spouse, of course). When we make our move, I will choose my own path, I will say when I start work and when I finish, I will be responsible for my own destiny, I will make it happen, I choose what my life will be like (pending my wife's approval, of course), and how I will get there.

There are a ton of great posts here. Look up Russ H.'s posts about values and goas, Read MJ's story, Read Andiv's book review. And then make a plan, involve your wife (for approval, of course) and get out of that crappy $35K per year job, and do something you love.

BTW I am 35 and I make $35K per year. And I am not a looser because I choose not to be one.

Cheers!

Dave

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
lkn2bfd-

It's easy to feel stressed and helpless when you feel like you're just a passenger and someone else is driving.

The solution to this is to come up with a PLAN of sorts-- think of it as a roadmap to a town called Success.

Lotsa different roads to get to Success-- you can choose.

Lotsa detours, too (life isn't a straight line).

My wife and I worked on one that really helped us.

I've posted a streamlined version of it here.

It does take a bit of work to go through . . . but it's actually kind of fun.

Like planning a trip. :)

Check it out and see what you think.

-Russ H.

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
Thank all of you for the inspiration you are all so positive that means alot!! I don't have a problem finding things I love it's turning these things into money. Things like fast cars,boats,nice homes and my family love spending time with them, when I have it, but are any of these things logical ? It seems like if you want to fastlane it the web is the way to go, and that I don't know alot about lol

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BABY!!!!
Please do post pics of the baby here, if you are ok with it.
You now have a higher-than-you purpose in life.

I know it seems like there is no way out. Trust me, I do know.
I honestly don't believe your wife meant it when she said that to you. And I don't think she is right in this one. You deserve a lot of respect for doing all you can at the moment to provide for them. I don't know you or her, but this sounds like the typical comment from a new mom. Remember she is also struggling with many changes in her life, one of them is the loss of sleep, which affects emotionally almost everybody. But enough about personal life... let's talk money.

Yes, there is a way. There are many ways.

You are in the first stage: Realization. You know that something is wrong and needs to change. That is one of the most difficult steps in people's life. Many don't ever change because they don't even realize there is more in life.

A simple suggestion, at least for the next four and a half months (till baby is 6 months). why don't you work the extra time during the weekends, so she can spend more time with the baby? And also, find some expenses to cut. I agree with yves, you are not that far away if 'just' extra 24 hrs make all the difference.

Good luck and keep at it.

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
I wish I could bridge the gap with me working weekends. She's a nurse and makes more in those 2 days than I make all week LoL

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Not sure if you are breastfeeding, but we were supplementing w/formula.

Initially, we traded night shifts. One night I'd get up all night long, the next night my wife would do it.

After a while, we started doing this in 3-day shifts, since 3 days with a good night's sleep really seemed to hit the spot.

Now, I do the night shift exclusively (well, not for the last 2 weeks, since I got a hernia-- but soon, I'll be back on night duty).

I've gotten great at doing this, while still getting sleep. And it's made an enormous difference in my wife's energy level and overall outlook.

Some days I need to take a 30 min power nap (if I get less than 3 hrs of sleep during the night). This can be done on a lunch hour (still leaving time for lunch).

Andviv is right-- having a child changes your life for the better, in so many ways.

Cherish every moment. That's the advice all of our friends gave. It's hard to do sometimes.

But without question, it's the best advice we've gotten. :smxA:

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Another piece of advice.... Take lots and lots of pics... You will notice that your baby will grow way faster than expected.

Now, you say she makes more than you. As this is a temporary situation, have you started looking for another job that helps you bring in more money and gives you a small change for good in your life?

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
oh I love my son more than anything but I'm worried about being a good father with stress at work and at home thats hard. I definitely want my son to have what I never had a great dad and a wonderful childhood with everything he wants. I meet my father for the first time when I was 16 the first thing he did was hit on my girlfriend what a father. I know I want be like that

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
no I have insurance and lots of benefits we need the insurance right now where her job has no benefits Im not looking to work for someone else unless that someone is me

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
I think I'm just upset with myself because I don't have what it takes to go out on that limb by myself I need someone pushing me forward I can sit here all day and think of idea's but for some reason I havent made that leap yet and I don't know why ?

8 SNAKE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Midwest
I havent made that leap yet and I don't know why ?

Fear, uncertainty and self-doubt.

Like everyone else has said, you need to take some time to evaluate where you are, where you want to go and how you want to get there. I've read a lot of the stories on this forum and the central theme of each one of them seems to be focus. People are successful when they focus in on one idea and one plan and stick with it. Most people jump all over the place and run from idea to idea trying to find the perfect fit (sound familiar?). They spend their entire lives planning a trip that they'll never take. Don't be that person. Sit down and draw a map to chart your path, then follow it. If you maintain focus and follow your plan, you'll get there.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Have you explored the goal section of this site yet? ...Come over there and share with us what you are thinking and dreaming.

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
You are all right I just need to focus, since the baby has arrived I just feel such a since of urgency like something has got to happen yesterday. I never knew a child would change the way I felt so much it's crazy. It's like I'm drowning and I'm clawing for anything I can get my hands on but that is going to stop now thank you all for bringing me back to earth LoL FOCUS

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I wish I could bridge the gap with me working weekends. She's a nurse and makes more in those 2 days than I make all week LoL

Consider opening a nursing agency or home care agency. Your wife could at least temporarily be a nurse for the agency and really up the amount of money she keeps by doing that(because it will go through a corp)...or consider teaching CEU's or offering an online website with nursing CEU's...the agency thing can be a real way to go...eventually it can become hands-off and be sold for a profit. The nursing shortage is only going to get worse and baby boomers will be moving into nursing homes and need homecare. Plus if she is currently working as a nurse she has a pool of fellow nurses to pluck to pick up time on the side. It might mean she keep working temporarily but the long term advantages could really make it worth it.

Sue

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
That is an idea, actually a really good one thank you. I will have to ponder on this one a while and see what I can do. Thank you again everyone

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Kimberland said:
its not what you do from 9-5 that counts,
its what you do from 5-9.

Damn straight.

I remember an entrepreneur talking about when he started his business: "I worked 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. My competitors were putting in 8 hours a day, max.

"I figured that in one year, I did twice as much work as them. And every year I'm in business, I pull ahead of them by at least a year's worth of business".

An observation I took to heart.

When colleagues would meet me, they'd say, "How in the world do you get all this stuff done?"

I'd just smile. :D

Rep speed for you, Kimber! + + +

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
lkn2bfd-

You can also have your accountant set up a cafeteria plan or flexible spending account for you that takes PRE-tax income and sets it aside for things like child care and health insurance:

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-ar...s_to_pay_for_healthcare_with_pretax_dollars-i

We accomplish this through other means (C corps with health care reimbursement plans, etc), so I can't give you specifics.

But you may want to check this out.

-Russ H.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
The builder that I work for gets to work 6 days a week at 5am. He works his butt off, and has sacrificed a lot to get to where he is- but to outsiders he just looks lucky. I guarantee you, he's put in a lot of blood, sweat, tears and time to be "lucky".

I love the idea of you guys thinking about opening up some sort of at home health care. ...If you think that could be a doable route for you both. ...Some friends of mine "adopted" a wonderful woman (Mary Zoe) who is retarded and has a host of special needs. She is Aunt Mary to the kids, and it is a win-win situation for everyone involved. The state gives them close to $50k a year for room and board for Mary Zoe. Taking in Mary empowered my friend to stay home with her kids as well as provide a great family environment for Mary Zoe. ...My friends went on to open an assisted living agency and they now own 18 homes (in CA) and have over 30 employees. They bring in well over 6 figures a year. ...This has all been within 2 years.

...Robert Kiyosaki once said that there is a Genie is us. This Genie in us is also called Genius, and in order for it to come out we have to work hard at getting it out. Put yourself in environments that contribute to releasing your genius.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
So what do you do after hours?

The way I see it,
its not what you do from 9-5 that counts
(that simply puts food on the table),
its what you do from 5-9.

: )

Hot F'n Dog. rep ++

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
Checked into the home health care you would have to form some type of corp or llc be licensed,insured,bonded really don't have the money for this there is a lot of liability. my budget is very small $1000 but is a very good Idea could make millions my wife's boss owns to assisted living facility's and does a half *** job of running them and he's made millions one thing is for sure they will always be in demand the place my wife works has a waiting list if that tells you anything

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Checked into the home health care you would have to form some type of corp or llc be licensed,insured,bonded really don't have the money for this there is a lot of liability. my budget is very small $1000 but is a very good Idea could make millions my wife's boss owns to assisted living facility's and does a half *** job of running them and he's made millions one thing is for sure they will always be in demand the place my wife works has a waiting list if that tells you anything

This is really a limiting belief....

If there is a viable business

There is money SOMEWHERE....

You may not have it at the moment....

but the question you really need to ask is

Where will I GET the money?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders