The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you tell your 18 or 25 year old self?

theresgot2bemore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 20, 2016
Anywhere w/freedom
Alot... so much but unfortunately some offline since we live in very different times. Hell if I could I'd tell myself in 2003, when I was starting high school as a freshman, what to focus on to save time and join the Fastlane much earlier.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Individual life experiences may vary: Obvious, but some won't get it. Get this through your head early so you start analyzing who is who early on. It is easier than you think if you know where to look.

Not everyone wants to know or hear the truth: Instead play to people's fantasies when you're around Sidewalkers and Slowlaners (S&S). It saves you time and prevents you from creating your own pitchfork mob with S&S. Sure it is the early 2000's when you can be objective and expressive about truths but there will come a time in fall 2011 when this will change because too many questioned what they were told.

Because of this change be sure to hang out with only Fastlaners and expressive, positive, gung ho types now. The most dangerous types of people, both online and offline, are those who will present themselves as the most sanitized version of themselves, go figure.

Things are by design: There are people who will price themselves out of an entire state, move to new ones, and ask for the same treatment that priced them out of their home state. Best of all - they will never admit they were wrong. It is by design because it plays upon standard human nature. Infuriating it may be to deal with but it is by design. It is only a small part of how control is established in our society. There is money to be made in this sort of thing and it is through an obvious source and 100% legal. Don't worry about this if, for example, they move into your state. It requires you to think of the big picture if you want to know why that is. To understand more you have to study more about what's going on behind the scenes.

Associate with Fastlane folks early on: You should pride yourself on choosing to associate with a Fastlane kid from Key Biscayne. Notice the hate and insecurities from S&S when they talk about his kind because you're getting real life education on the difference between the successful and unsuccessful. All the awesome times and fine points you'll learn from being around Fastlane will be amazing so enjoy it. Realize that you are getting exposed to something 99% will not. Going to Alice town on a weekend just because and a whole bunch of awesome things you'll get to do are things the Fastlane offers. Notice how awesome you feel separated from S&S when staying at the Key and notice the feelings of negativity when you cross over the Rickenbacker back into the city.

While you are being shown how things are run in "The Key" talk more to the friends of your friend to create a Fastlane network early on. Also note if you have to pry someone open like a coconut to get them to talk about their background you're dealing with a S or S, period. The Fastlaners love to talk about their success as long as you're in the same clubs they are or connected to them by another Fastlaner. It is by design because of negative experiences they've had in the past. Even if you aren't in a club like they are pay attention to how people talk it is very telling.

Golf: Jump on the chance to join the golf club at school. There is a subtle air of old money emanating within the club so ensure you make the right connections there. In the real world this, among many others, is what the top folks do in their spare time as cliche as it is. This is the start of learning the connections ropes.

Question everything: Don't listen to the S&S talk about business. Also, don't believe the bs smearing of the word entrepreneur with dealing - it's a MIA thing. You'll save alot of time and face palming by not listening to most people who think you are dealing by focusing on being an entrepreneur. You're going to be a entrepreneur anyways!

On that note - sales is not a dirty word! You still have to sell to people eventually in one way or another so get used to it.

Cherish the fact you're being exposed to business early: Your early business experience is due to your Fastlane friend. His shirt company outlines all the mistakes you read in MLF. While you may not value it now you are learning what not to do. The business will not go anywhere due to a ton of mistakes but hey how awesome is it to not have to worry about funding since he offered it! Learn from this and your friend's marketing father because there will be strife between them later on unfortunately. Also start searching up resources like how to become a Fastlaner so you start getting ideas of your own and stumble upon FLF early on.

Question your beliefs: MJ use is not a moral issue it's a money issue. Don't ruin your friendship with your friend because you let slowlane family pollute your mind that MJ is bad. There will be a drastic movement to change the law and tons of money to be made from it. Start looking up north later on for states with more relaxed attitudes towards MJ use so you capitalize on it once you graduate.

Don't waste your time: If you decide to hang on to S&S friends you are going to waste 15 years of your life. There is so much negativity in those two areas that just isn't seen as much in the Fastlane area. Focus your time and efforts instead on Fastlane types only. You won't have to deal with the negativity and betrayal from S&S folks. You'll learn in time Fastlaners are better by default because of many reasons. So keep your eyes on the prize - Fastlane success.

Video games: In the early 2000's they waste time but around 2010 or so getting paid to play will start to become a thing. Cash in on it early on and create a following. Getting paid to be entertaining, and entertaining yourself, will become one sweet deal. Create an entertaining persona to capitalize on this.

If you're going to try out for Spec Ops do it as a personal test: It is preferable to do this sort of thing when you're financially set and when you're young. Save yourself the time, and pain, from quitting due to your familial problems and having to nip that in the bud by doing it early on if you decide to pursue it. The people in those areas are awesome and it is a great environment but you have to earn it. If you don't you'll wake up every day with your middle back aching due to ruck runs down 8th Street.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still sucks to think of the time I've lost that can never be gained back. However, I do know what to do and where to focus so I don't repeat those same mistakes again.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Yes, this is indeed true. The issue is the trade off of losing your sexual energy. If you dont transmute your energy into higher ideals, and raise the kundalini energy, you are wasting your potential as a man, which is the point being made.

So heres the question, do I focus on girls, chasing poon, busting nuts and waste energy? Or do I conserve my sexual energy, raise the kundalini, and use this precious energy on my goals and building for my future? I doubt many are practitioners of tantra and multiple orgasms, so this is an easy choice.

Notice, I never said dont get girls and go all MGTOW. No..still have girls in your life. But deal with them in moderation and let them come to you.
Sexual transmutation is very real IMO. It does sound woo woo but semen is LIFE energy. It is literally used to create LIFE. To say that saving that doesn't have an effect on your creative ability is insane (to me).

Me personally, I love women. High quality women with great feminine energy is muse to the masculine soul. It is like having a glass of cold ice water after a long hard day at work in the sun. Mediocre girls that are into drugs, partying, and generally into low quality activities like instagram, validation seeking is like having a big mac after a hard day of work. Yeah it is energy, but it is just adding fat to your life with no benefit.

As much as society hypes up sex, it should be a special thing. I would rather have sex once in a while with a great great girl than have a lot of sex with a bunch of mediocre girls. I have had sex with girls who were mediocre and my body felt weird and toxic afterwards. I kept doing it because society said that to be a "man" you need to have a lot of sex. So I ignored the signs. It wasn't until I sat with myself and became more "unplugged" where I said that is BS.

Your body is a temple, treat it as so. Only let the highest quality of people in your energy field. (btw I am not into the woo woo stuff at all but the subject of sexuality is something i am VERY passionate about and believe spirituality and sexuality are one in the same, but that is a post for another day :D)

SeanC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 2, 2019
1. Almost nobody has a clue what they're talking about. The people you respect now will probably sound like idiots to you after you grow more. Stop listening to contradictory advice and trying to do the right thing - nobody really knows what the right thing is for themselves, and they definitely don't know what it is for you.

Sit down, analyze your strengths, and start doing things - even if you're not clear on where they'll take you. They create opportunities you never anticipated.

Educated guesses and your gut are the only things that stay consistent. Consistency breed success.

2. Try a bunch of things. Get ready to fail. Accept that you'll lose a lot of what you have. Times will get hard. You'll make really dumb choices - but after long enough they lead to some right ones. It's pretty unlikely anything good will fall out of the sky on to your lap if you don't suffer first.

3. The worst moments come right before the biggest breakthroughs.

4. Don't be a dick to your future self and waste 30-minute increments of your life.

5. Women and alcohol tend to bring chaos, and you'll be like a frog boiling in a pot - you don't see it while it's happening. It's subtle (until it's not). You need order to succeeed.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Well for me life is short, living another decade isn't guaranteed :D
You think so now... I can tell you that if you don't plan -- and live every moment -- within that moment -- even if it isn't guaranteed -- the time will slip away -- and you'll wake up one day with huge regrets.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
May 24, 2021
36 now.

1. Read faster:)
2. Start a SCALABLE & CENTS business instead.
3. Don't buy THAT car.
4. Focus more & increase my urgency.
5. Don't think of buying a house just yet.
6. Use that free bursary money to make more.

AND MOST IMPORTANT,

7. Don't listen to all the Slowlaners.

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
  1. Find a profitable process you enjoy and the money will follow (that is, don't chase money, chase a problem to solve that you like solving and has value to others).
  2. Stop doubting yourself; any weaknesses you perceive can be fixed through learning new skills and finding good people to surround yourself with.
  3. You only need to be successful once. You only fail if you decide to stop trying. Everything else is a lesson to leverage higher chances of success down the line.
  4. F*ck the naysayers who laughed at you for not wanting the "typical" lives they complain about having.
  5. Don't waste time overthinking. Educate yourself but don't forget to actually do something.
Luckily I'm only 29 so while these would've been useful lessons to have learned earlier on, I'm grateful I learned them at all by now.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
What would I tell myself? Everything I read in TMF .

Around the age of 25 (2008 or so), I started a social network for the mental health community. I folded it around a year after I started it. Looking back, the idea was great and the product could have been something, but I was event driven. I didn't get the results I wanted quick enough, so I bowed out. I was looking for quick validation. I also didn't really know how to scale a social network either, plus I wasn't 100% committed to making it work. In reality, if I had been focused on process and had had this forum, I could have built it up and by now sold it for a lot of money. You live and you learn. I lost around 4K on that, not much really, but what it did do was educate me on the world of internet business. I don't think I'd be on the path I'm on now if it wasn't for the decision to launch that website.

IronMunkee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 26, 2013
Thank you for this topic. I am 24 right now, and in a very weird place living in my own head, with motivation coming and going, and ideas not being acted upon. The only thing I know is that I want my life to be different by the time I turn 25 (November). I think I may have just found the tool I need to help me get started. I love all this advice, and it's definitely got me in a deep thought right now.

Looking forward to be able to share something like this in the future.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
This is pure gold for an 18 year old kid like me. I am so damn glad this forum exists, I read it everyday. Thank you to everyone who has posted in this, I am very excited to take this journey to the fastlane.

And with an attitude like that you will go far.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
"You just need to solve one thing at a time… Step by step, day by day, solve one problem and it all works out. But if you try to solve the whole thing before you even get started, you’re never going to get started.”

+

How to deal with problems that come up:

"There are going to be fires all over the place. Keep it simple:
just focus on the one, most important fire."

Last edited:

Andrew J.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 21, 2017
GREECE
1. Set bigger goals that you think you can accomplish.
2. Perceive failure as a blessing. It will lead you to success
3. Don't hear to somebody that tells you ''you cant''. It is because he can't.
4. Never give up your dreams. Find a way or make one.

G

Guest24480

You were never the good guy. You don't have to be an a**hole. Being the bad guy and being the nice guy are both predicated on being concerned with what people think. That's why I can't stand the PuA vein that appears on this forum from time to time.
Agreed. There's a huge difference between being a "nice guy" and being a nice guy.

The former attaches being nice to his identity and expects something out of others in return for it. That guy reeks of desperation. The latter is just a good person for the sake of being a good person. They emit good vibes and draw others towards them because they're pleasant to be around.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
For you 25 yr old+ guys out there, if you could go back in time, and tell your 25 year old self something, what would you say?

you know, time is running fast

i just looked at pictures of me which were taken on 02 05 2008

nearly ten years ago

then i asked myself " if i could go back in time and say something to my young self, what would i say ?"

the answer might surprise you

but this is the only answer wich matters to be rich with 100 % certainty 10 years later on 09 25 2017

any guess ?

i would tell me the lottery numbers of the french lottery instead of life advices !!

because life advices are useless

remember the almanach in the movie " back to the future " ?

the grandpa didn't come back to give life advices to his young self !!

instead he gave himself the almanac with the lottery numbers

so he could become rich in the years ahead !

almanac.jpg

so what's my point ?

most life advices don't lead anywhere

the only thing that matters is your taking action now, this very moment, not searching for life advices.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
- Double down on what works
- Don't wait for your friends or peers to catch up to you. Sprint ahead in your pursuit of success. Let them be inspired. Wait for no one.
- Look at life through your own eyes. Question authority and create your own "style" in how you do things
- Choose peers and friends who have their own style and are not sheep who parrot what they heard from other people
- Life is a mountain, the moment you stop climbing, you start slipping down (this is the reason why there are so many uncool 40 year olds. To maintain your "coolness" you NEED to keep innovating your life. It is a must. Failure to do so and you will be like that 60 year old in the gym saying back in my daY i used to bench this amount. No one cares. You look like shit now. The same applies in all area of life. This is true happiness. Being engaged in what you are doing. When you dont give a F*ck what anyone else is doing but you are just focused on your own life. You become the life of the party. You become the source of positive energy. Failure to do so will result in a life of consumerism, insecurity, rationalizing, mediocrity, and wondering "is this all there is" and "what if"

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
If I did go back, I would remind myself that worrying is like a rocking chair. It keeps you really busy and gets you nowhere. Almost everything we worry about never happens. I would remind myself to use my energies on issues that really count rather than silly worries.
BUT, I would never want to be that young again. My life was too hard and unhappy. These are my best days. And, I worked very hard to get to this moment.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
i once asked my grand father about life

he was 85 when i asked him about his life . he was a veteran from WW2

he received one of the best military medal available in France for his victories.

he was a well know personnality in town. he was the manager of many teams in soccer and many sports . and so on

so i asked him:

you are 85, you have done many things in life.

what was the best lesson you learned ?

guess what he answered ? you won't believe me

he said absurd things like " women at the office are boring and evil , don't listen to the neighbour etc. "

i said WHAT ???????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?

this is all you have learned in 85 years ????

wtf.gif

so what's the point here ?

i learned more by analysing his life than by asking him about his life

because he wouldn't share what he had learned in life for whatever reason

so i learned that you have to think for yourself because older people won't share valuable lessons with you

DiamondDog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 3, 2016
I'm 25 years old and this is what I'm telling myself now:

"Alright, you finally have a decent paying job. Save 80% of your income, then invest in a new business. Keep the job so you have cashflow to get the businesss on its feet.

Don't be scared of failure. It will probably happen but you just have to keep trying. After all, you only have to get it right once."

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Learn to be comfortable in your own skin.

This is probably the single most important skill that will make anyone and everyone happy!

Nothing else matters.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Academia is a dead end. It's nice that you love to learn, research, and teach. But it's neither a viable career option nor will it actually make you feel fulfilled.

Quit drinking now, even though you can drink more and work more than anyone else, seemingly without being impaired. You have no idea what hell awaits you.

You got so much potential. More Apollon, and a little less Dionysos. Discipline is key.

Your happiness is not dependent on a woman.

Stop cheating on your girlfriends. It's disgusting and arrogant and hurtful.

Stay far, far away from politics.

You're okay. Stop trying to prove yourself to others.

Statistics are fun. You just don't know it yet. No, I'm not kidding you.

Most important, possibly:

It's not "the world". It's you.

Last edited:

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
30 now.

If you try something, you may fail. If you don't try at all, you will surely fail.

You can change. You will change. And you have it in your power to steer this change in the right direction.

You messed up badly in the past. Ok. You can learn from it, cherish the experience it gave you, then move on and do better.

You are not as fixed in your abilities and talents as you think you are.

Stop treating the world as if it owed you. Stop seeing yourself as the center of the universe. Things will improve so much if you stop being so self-centered.

Practice empathy. Trying to see the other point of view is invaluable in navigating life, business, love, everything basically.

Listen to your inner voice, but also to the feedback around you. Everything is giving you feedback, all of the time, be it silently, with words or with gestures. Listen more.

If you think the feedback is outrageous and there is no way it could be true, then it is probably time to reflect.

If you feel badly treated, don't put up with it.

If you feel you may have treated someone badly, don't make them put up with it. Apologize and do better.

Meditation is not a heal-all. Sitting around for hours won't fix the leaky faucet in your kitchen. There is a reason that monks in a zen temple work a lot every day on all kinds of chores.

Learning about business, markets, finance, a bit of math definitely won't hurt you at all. Even if you hated maths in school, you will successfully study economics soon (noooo way!)

Keep discovering, stay curious.

You will still be figuring it out in 5 years. But you will get a heck of a lot better.

Your life is temporary, and so is everything else. This also applies to opinions, successes, fear, anxiety, emotions, inspiration. Make the most of the things you got.

Think about what your future self won't regret if you ask it in 10 years, then do that.

Do your squats. But I know you'll do ;P

Love you <3

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
People are going to judge you NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, so you may as well BE who you want to be and DO what you want to do!

Never take advice from anyone who you wouldn't want to trade places with, and even then, question whether that advice really is the reason they themselves are where they are.

Failure is a fantastic thing as long as you keep learning from it.

When you are 30 you will realise you are still REALLY young, and even when you are 40 you won't feel as old as you think you will!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.