The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What to do with school friends?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Fuel for my success motivation are my school bullies.

But I also had many friends. Like MJ DeMarco's friend who worked slowlane in Motorola.

It is possible that The Millionaire Fastlane stressed my following question already, but I may have missed it out during reading. If so, I should consider looking into that glorious book again, which I should do anyways.

### What should I do with old school friends?

One can not hide success for too long.
As soon as they find out about my success, they will try to kiss my a$$, which is a good thing, and I can just ignore and enjoy.
But what is, in your opinion, a morally correct (or maybe not morally) to do?

## What would you do or what did you do in that situation?

Post edited because I forgot that this forum uses BBcode instead of markdown.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
I stick to myself and get away from people who I know will not help me.

As a lot of people say: "Make friends with people who are already where you want to be." This is true. Find them via meetups or some other ways in-person. Because people can lie about who they are online.

A-must-learn-skill is to connect with others and to become a connector. This is a must for success.

Also the thread tag is incorrect.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
As soon as they find out about my success, they will try to kiss my a$$, which is a good thing, and I can just ignore and enjoy.
Yes. This topic has been raised many times during the past 10 years. NONE of my old friends tried to kiss my a$$. NONE! Some of them seemed a bit jealous but that was it. I could still do things with them as long as we had something in common. Golf, running, off-roading, etc...

Is there a reason this post is in the Ask Me Anything section?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Take it day by day.

You might not to do anything.

They might be great people encouraging of your success and supportive.

Give them a chance to make the decision for themselves. If you expect them to change negatively, more than likely your confirmation bias will see that change.

Friends can come from all walks, they only become problematic if the sum of the individual parts is no longer greater than the whole.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Is there a reason this post is in the Ask Me Anything section?
It is in People and Relationships, but Ask me anything is the prefix. Excuse me, if it was wrong.

By the way, I watched some parts of podcasts and hangouts on YouTube where you were involved into. I liked it.
Edit: I posted mobile, so I lost track of the user who posted this. I thought I was replying to DeMarco.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Fuel for my success motivation are my school bullies.

But I also had many friends. Like MJ DeMarco's friend who worked slowlane in Motorola.

It is possible that The Millionaire Fastlane stressed my following question already, but I may have missed it out during reading. If so, I should consider looking into that glorious book again, which I should do anyways.

## What would you do or what did you do in that situation?

Post edited because I forgot that this forum uses BBcode instead of markdown.
Make some new friends!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Of course I will make business friends.
But old school friends who have been very nice to me, should I just ditch them?
You don't have to ditch anyone. Just don't rub their noses in your success. I have totally out distanced the people with whom I went to school. I direct the conversations to ask about them. I listen twice as much as I talk. My success is not really a subject that I talk about with them -- it's not important for them to know my business. I just tell them that I'm retired, and living a quiet life -- which I am.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

woke_up

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 4, 2018
USA
Its crazy just how important it is to be mindful of the people you spend time around, before and after you gain success. For me I notice just how jealous everyone in my family got simply after shifting my mind set.

As far as bullies. I had my fare share of those in middle school and high school. Definitely added motivation.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
You may be over estimating how much contact friends from youth stay in as adults. When you are young, your friends are a constant fixture. You see each other in school. You hang out. You and your friends run into that other circle of friends when you are out, and there is cross over between cliques. The relationships are built and maintained by consistent contact. Same with bullies. They are there every freakin' day, that's why they are the fixture they are.

Then..... You all get a little older.....and life happens....

In your 20s, you see some of them. You may run with some of your HS friends. Maybe you see some from time to time through work or at a bar or wherever. One by one they fade. This one joined the Corps and is in Japan for a year and his life changes and he's not around. That one married some guy she met in college and moved to Wisconsin of all places. That other guy, you remember him... from 10th grade math class...he's doing 5 to 10 for some stupid thing. So on and so on. In your 30s and 40s, the number of people from high school you still have contact with will be few or none.

It's been my experience that moving a half hour away can make some people think you fell off the face of the planet. Only a hand full of real friends will keep in touch. If you don't see someone for a couple years, then when you do it's "like old times" for a few hours, they are your friends. They don't hate your success, and they sympathize with the sacrifices you make to earn it. Likewise, you will want to hear about their slice of life because it's different from yours and you still have common ground with them. Other people you used to know are just other people you used to know.

In short, don't worry about how your high school peers will see you because they probably won't see you at all.

Tharus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Mar 4, 2018
Jamaica
Friends will filter themselves out as you move towards your goals
rather than you cutting them out.

Enjoy your common interests together and stay focused on YOUR personal goals.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.