• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

What to do when you find out your idea is taken

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by ovoxomo, Jan 20, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
Tags:
  1. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,054
    It's not productive to focus on the factors outside of your control, especially luck.

I hate discussing luck because it's a vague concept at best and the more you think about it the more it expands into everything and consumes and overshadows everything. Luck can expand out infinitely to take credit for everything anyone has ever done.

The only productive thing you can do with the concept of luck is look at it in hindsight because it absolutely cripples your future when you start worrying about it in the planning stages.

Bigguns50 and MidwestLandlord like this.
  2. Ubermensch

Ubermensch Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $205
    The title of this thread made me laugh out loud. I have no idea what a "taken" idea is. Are there thought bandits running around, snatching concepts out of people's skulls?

This thread smacks of action-faking. No offense to the author of the OP, but it strikes me as both the height of arrogance and stupidity to assume that after reading (not necessarily understanding) a book or two, people run out and try to start a business.

Just because a book tells you to find a niche doesn't mean you suddenly know how to find a niche. Sometimes, discovering the "winning concept" takes years to perfect and bring to market.

99.99%+ of you aren't prepared for that type of sacrifice.

And most of you reading this are either broke or flat broke.

What makes you think, in such a state, with absolutely no previous experience (other than a junk heap of self-limiting beliefs and notions clogging your rational processing) that you have the ability to discover and implement a winning idea?

Eagerness does not equal ability. Enthusiasm does not equal ability.

Ability comes when you have a process that works. This often comes only after weeks, months and years of engaging the marketplace, speaking to suppliers, strategic partners, and prospective clients. It means objectively assessing objections, solving for these concerns in order to consummate transactions. It means developing a marketing strategy that actually works and gets you in front of a ready and willing audience.

Most people on this site will quit too soon before this ever happens, and so they require a more immediate cash-generating career path.

If you have absolutely no skill and no ability when it comes to creating a sales process that works, you should act accordingly.

And, for the record, this isn't a sales pitch for you to contact me and work with me. The last thing I need is for an @Omega or @axiom to contact me.

sparechange, Xeon, ZF Lee and 2 others like this.
  3. Amon

Amon Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,965
    Hahah what did they ever do to you to deserve this low blow?

Maybe one day you'll find a young millennial that can act accordingly and work with you.

Xeon and ZF Lee like this.
  4. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $516
    Tbh, he's actually telling the cold hard truth and the truth always hurts. Better hearing this than feel-good nonsense.

ZF Lee likes this.
  5. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,126
    To be exact...it ALREADY HURT for @Ubermensch's case.

Besides, inexperienced young kids would slow him down.

Remember how MJ talked on Human Resources adding or subtracting passivity ( of in this case, efficiency)?

Xeon likes this.
  6. Amon

Amon Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,965
    Yeah I'm sorry but neither one of you have any clue what you're talking about when it comes to this person.

If your goal is to be more efficient, consume 99% of his material with a grain of salt - then move on to learning from someone who understands how business (and more importantly, reality) works.

All I can promise you is this is not the man you want to copy/envy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    ZF Lee likes this.
  7. Mr.Chaos

Mr.Chaos Wolves love Ice Cream. Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,714
    Piggybacking off some of the great contributions in this thread so far...

The fact that someone has executed on "Your" idea is irrelevant. Like @Waspy said, you don't have to be the first.

Execute on "Your" idea anyway. Truth is...you're probably going to suck....really really suck... at first.

You're going to experience some developmental pains and you're going to learn a lot through failure.

But with each failure, you'll continue to develop those processes ubermensch mentioned. You'll understand how to build, grow and develop a business...

But only through ACTION.

5 to 6 shoot maybe even 10 -15 years later when you do build a successful business (might not even be this idea). You might have the privilege of hearing people call YOU an overnight success...

and some may even say YOU stole their idea.

Like @Andy Black said, START

8. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $126,352
    Mr.Chaos likes this.